Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

18 hours ago, Message Board User said:

That's really impressive.  What's even more impressive is the other guy who climbed onto the other side to jerk off.  

11 hours ago, brakeman said:

image.thumb.png.a12ed7bfc549d6f92414838e01a21703.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

Hiroshima bombing[edit]

Yamaguchi lived and worked in Nagasaki, but in the summer of 1945 he was in Hiroshima for a three-month-long business trip.[4] On August 6, he was preparing to leave the city with two colleagues, Akira Iwanaga and Kuniyoshi Sato, and was on his way to the train station when he realized he had forgotten his hanko (a type of identification stamp common in Japan) and returned to his workplace to get it.[5][6] At 8:15 AM, he was walking towards the docks when the American B-29 bomber Enola Gay dropped the Little Boy atomic bomb near the center of the city, only 3 kilometers (1.9 mi) away.[4][7] Yamaguchi recalls seeing the bomber and two small parachutes, before there was "a great flash in the sky, and I was blown over".[6] The explosion ruptured his eardrums, blinded him temporarily, and left him with serious radiation burns over the left side of the top half of his body. After recovering, he crawled to a shelter and, having rested, he set out to find his colleagues.[6] They had also survived and together they spent the night in an air-raid shelter before returning to Nagasaki the following day.[5][6] In Nagasaki, he received treatment for his wounds and, despite being heavily bandaged, he reported for work on August 9.[4][8]

Nagasaki bombing[edit]

At 11:00 AM on 9 August 1945, Yamaguchi was describing the blast in Hiroshima to his supervisor, when the American bomber Bockscar dropped the Fat Man atomic bomb over the city. His workplace again put him 3 km from ground zero, but this time he was unhurt by the explosion.[7] However, he was unable to replace his now ruined bandages and he suffered from a high fever and continuous vomiting for over a week.[4]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Not quite so CSB; for around 4... 5 years, my Mom was married to the Nephew of Thomas Ferebee, the bombardier on the Enola Gay.  I met him 1x when I was around 7 or 8.  Didn't know until quite awhile later about his role.

From what I've read over the years, he viewed it as just "doing my job", dropping off newspapers to the corner store on his route type stuff.  I imagine you would have to do @ least a LITTLE bit of mental gymnastics to try & deal with that.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, miguelito said:

I get a chuckle on the painted sign on the plane, "No smoking within 100 ft."

Enola Gay has the same thing (as most planes probably do).  It's funny in a Dr. Strangelove kind of way.

What's even funnier is that they have ashtrays inside.  So no smoking within 100ft, but smoking within, OK!

Boeing used the same design for their ashtray as that from a 1936 Ford for both the B-17 and the B-29.   This is the captain's side of the cockpit of Bockscar, the B-29 that dropped the Nagasaki bomb.  That chrome thing right in the middle lower instrument panel is the ashtray.   Because nothing like having a nice long smoke when you're on the way to smoke some....

image.thumb.png.7a9ce60260a20a624966987a18ae7c27.png

And here is a 1936 Ford ashtray square in the center of the dash of a 1936 Ford:

7727ford.jpg

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 11:36 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Not quite so CSB; for around 4... 5 years, my Mom was married to the Nephew of Thomas Ferebee, the bombardier on the Enola Gay.  I met him 1x when I was around 7 or 8.  Didn't know until quite awhile later about his role.

From what I've read over the years, he viewed it as just "doing my job", dropping off newspapers to the corner store on his route type stuff.  I imagine you would have to do @ least a LITTLE bit of mental gymnastics to try & deal with that.

I think he's awesome and I wish he were around to drop some newspapers off in China soon

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It amazes me we had ashtrays for 50 years in cars before it ever occurred to us to put in permanent cup holders.  

Beer between the legs, burner in the tray. Left arm leans on door frame and hand holds the wheel. Right hand available for sips, drags, and ball scratching/road wanks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

Yep, that was my old man too.  Could handle an unfiltered lucky strike down to the nub with one hand, ice cold beer or scalding hot coffee in his lap, shifting manual transmission with the right which also moved furiously across the radio dial to find the next good oldies songs.  We probably drove through 15 states together like that over the years, and I never saw him once get remotely close to getting into an accident.  I don't even think I saw him get a ticket.  

Today, with all the cameras, sensors, and 10-speed automatic transmissions...I see on a daily basis people driving with their phone in one hand and narrowly avoid multiple fatality accidents every single mile.  

Of course, today the 5 year olds are the in backseat in a booster seat.  I was sitting shotgun, 50/50 chance I had a seatbelt on.  But my road trip jobs were important, I wasn't watching DVD's...I was handing dad sugar packets from the bottom of the McDonald's bag to stir into his coffee or reaching into the other bag to get him another Old Style beer and toss the pull-tab away.  I was also allowed to search for new stations as the others faded from reception.  When I got a little older, I was allowed to shift into higher gears while he hit the clutch.  What a time to be alive, I guess.  

What's even funnier is that they have ashtrays inside.  So no smoking within 100ft, but smoking within, OK!
Boeing used the same design for their ashtray as that from a 1936 Ford for both the B-17 and the B-29.   This is the captain's side of the cockpit of Bockscar, the B-29 that dropped the Nagasaki bomb.  That chrome thing right in the middle lower instrument panel is the ashtray.   Because nothing like having a nice long smoke when you're on the way to smoke some....
image.thumb.png.7a9ce60260a20a624966987a18ae7c27.png
And here is a 1936 Ford ashtray square in the center of the dash of a 1936 Ford:
7727ford.jpg

From what I recall, the ashtray didn’t use the same design….they literally were Ford ashtrays. Acquired from the car company and just plugged into the design of the planes, cuz dudes needed a smoke.
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, BHMCruiser said:

I think he's awesome and I wish he were around to drop some newspapers off in China soon

If the US can settle down with the political bickering we would never need to. That country is big but socially it’s a house of cards propped up by the worlds dependence on their slave production. 

• Like 1

It amazes me we had ashtrays for 50 years in cars before it ever occurred to us to put in permanent cup holders.  

And the first cup holders were 1/16” deep indents on the inside face of the glove compartment door.

Quite amazing that college educated engineers couldn’t make the leap from nothing straight to something that actually worked.

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yep, that was my old man too.  Could handle an unfiltered lucky strike down to the nub with one hand, ice cold beer or scalding hot coffee in his lap, shifting manual transmission with the right which also moved furiously across the radio dial to find the next good oldies songs.  We probably drove through 15 states together like that over the years, and I never saw him once get remotely close to getting into an accident.  I don't even think I saw him get a ticket. 

Must be a generational thing. My Dad was the same except it was Camels and twin stick transmission. 

31 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

And the first cup holders were 1/16” deep indents on the inside face of the glove compartment door.

Quite amazing that college educated engineers couldn’t make the leap from nothing straight to something that actually worked.

Eating in the car while moving was a rarity until McDonald's took hold. You took your food to a park and ate like civilized folk. Only savages ate on the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RPM said:

Must be a generational thing. My Dad was the same except it was Camels and twin stick transmission. 

Pos rep.  Havent' even seen one of those in 25 years.  

Reminds me of this book/forum: https://dadsaretheoriginalhipster.tumblr.com/

A kid today with a phone in one hand driving is just a fucking idiot and an asshole.  But there was something cool about my first two cars as a teenager, both being manual transmissions.  Sometimes you had a cigarette or a joint (to be cool, I stopped smoking real quick) in the left hand.  Window cracked just so because the Chicago air was too damn cold.  And you could shift with the right hand and effortlessly change the radio preset without looking at the same time.  Palm on the shifter, middle finger jetted out so you could hit fast-forward on the tape or "channel 3" on the FM.  I was only driving for one semester and I could somehow do that without thinking about it.  Now, I take one peak down at my phone on the interstate for 2 seconds, and I'm suddenly careening into the ditch between me and the access road while my wife is screaming and trying to grab my phone.  What the hell happened to us?   

Drinking & driving talk not going away.

I firmly (not exactly fondly) recall going places in the Delta 88 (mostly to dinner somewhere) from just S of Shreveport & going up Linwood to Flournoy Lucas Road & somewhere a bit W of there all the while Papa had a highball resting in his R hand while Nana was smoking Virginia Slims & barely had a window down 1/8".

• Like 1

From what I recall, the ashtray didn’t use the same design….they literally were Ford ashtrays. Acquired from the car company and just plugged into the design of the planes, cuz dudes needed a smoke.

May’ve been. Ford was also busy making jeeps and B-24s so who knows. I’m sure there’s some fellow out there that has the actual contract for the ashtrays memorized, because I know those guys exist, god bless ‘em. But it ain’t this guy.

2 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Humans invented the dildo 10,000 years before the wheel. 

If they had thought of including the balls, we'd be on Jupiter by now.