Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Theory: Trump has been encouraging Kavanaugh to forcefully fight back. Kavanaugh will try to do so, and because he's a milquetoast pissant, will show his ass in the process. I think there's more shit to hit this particular fan, wouldn't be surprised if a formal investigation into perjury comes from this.

Yep. His Trump-like lies on Fox the other night show that he thinks he can lie with the same swagger as Cheeto.

1 minute ago, Atxracer said:

I haven't kept up with the thread.  What the general take of the board? I have it on in the background at the office and I feel she is credible and Kavanaugh is toast.  

The Surly librul cabal believes her.  The republican voting block thinks she's a lying whore.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

No law enforcement agency gave her the Polygraph tests. It was done by an ex fbi guy and consisted of only two questions. 

When he administered the polygraph exam, it consisted of just two questions: "Is any part of your statement false?" and "Did you make up any part of your statement?"

Hanafin then ran the results of Ford's two "no" responses through three separate scoring algorithms, including one developed by Johns Hopkins University. All three algorithms concluded that Ford's responses did not indicate apparent deception, with one putting the probability that she was lying at .002 and another putting it at less than .02.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/09/27/christine-blasey-ford-brett-kavanaugh-allegation-former-fbi-agent-accusers-polygraph-test

20 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Direct her to read up on how a notable lack of recall of some significant details surrounding a traumatic event is a common characteristic of PTSD.  Your friend just doesn't know.

Oh, she thinks she "knows".  She disputes that assertion about the effects of PTSD.  She says her time counseling rape victims (somehow at Boys Town, I didn't pursue, it was a whacked out statement ignoring for starters the immediacy of the alleged events because they were still BOYS) gave her perspective I don't have.  Whatever.  I can't reject her as a friend, but her politics drive everything for her.  It's what we've seen among the 40% all over the country.  It's a real phenomenon.

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Details?

Flipping back and forth between Fox and MSNBC.  they just showed a clip of LG being interviewed in the hallway and he is saying that because Ford doesnt know the specific time, date and place she is not credible. If this is the new standard then all of us are in trouble.  Furthermore, if dems are going to be so dirty as to question BK, then just you wait till they nominate someone. 

1 minute ago, Dolemite said:

No law enforcement agency gave her the Polygraph tests. It was done by an ex fbi guy and consisted of only two questions. 

When he administered the polygraph exam, it consisted of just two questions: "Is any part of your statement false?" and "Did you make up any part of your statement?"

Hanafin then ran the results of Ford's two "no" responses through three separate scoring algorithms, including one developed by Johns Hopkins University. All three algorithms concluded that Ford's responses did not indicate apparent deception, with one putting the probability that she was lying at .002 and another putting it at less than .02.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/09/27/christine-blasey-ford-brett-kavanaugh-allegation-former-fbi-agent-accusers-polygraph-test

yet, the dem side wanted the examiner to testify and Grassley wouldn't allow it.  Why do you suppose that is?

22 minutes ago, G650 said:

I know this will be an unpopular take, but I am not sure they brought in Mitchell to get a gotcha out of Ford. I think there is a non negligible chance McConnell did this specifically to give him an out on Kavanaugh, who he never wanted anyway.

I considered that.

To me this feels a lot like the OJ trial.  To me, it was obvious from the evidence that OJ was the killer -- but plenty of people thought that OJ was not guilty because of some trial technicality.  I don't mean not guilty as in reasonable doubt in a court, I mean they believe that OJ did not kill anyone because a glove was too small.

This feels like the Republicans' OJ moment.  Find a small flaw in a story to win the case.  From watching this, I believe this person is telling the truth and what she says happened did happen.  But for some, a gotcha moment like a witness being afraid of flying yet flying means that she is lying about all of this.  If BK's nomination is pulled, those folks will hang onto those gotcha moments for years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I haven't kept up with the thread.  What the general take of the board? I have it on in the background at the office and I feel she is credible and Kavanaugh is toast.  

Most of us wish we'd been there at the time with a baseball bat. You believe her and feel sick that this shit goes on all the time.

The assault itself is horrible enough. Those closing ranks with the perpetrator magnify my disgust and anger.

I wonder if they poisoned McCain at the end so he wouldn't be around to comment on this travesty. Fuck the GOP.

Edited by RomaVicta

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Mitchell is treating her fairly. 

And making her look more and more credible in the process.  

Remember how grassley was concerned about getting this shit over with and making a 12:40 vote?  Instead the unplanned recess says everything about how this is going.  the chairman knows it, just like every open minded person watching the testimony.  I don't think Kavanaugh's indignation is going to be strong enough for the court of public opinion.  Now with a fixed jury it's possible the nomination comes out of committee today and Susan Collins lobotomizes herself to push Kavenaugh into a lifetime appointment.

It's hard to argue a bout the minutia of political timing and completely and totally ingnore her compelling testimony.  But that's the assignment today given to the American Public by the GOP. Suspend belief and fervently desire not to find out any additional facts so a vote for confirmation can take place.  This box is still easy to get out of.  Order an FBI investigation ans simply throw Kavanaugh under the bus.  Or let Dr. Ford face charges of lying to the FBI!  

I'm at work and unable to watch (but screwing around on Surly over lunch) and I'm confused as to the discussion around flying on a plane.  Are they trying to pin her on a fake excuse on why she couldn't be there on Monday?  In the grand scheme of things, does a 3 day delay matter much for a lifetime appointment?

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

yet, the dem side wanted the examiner to testify and Grassley wouldn't allow it.  Why do you suppose that is?

They should have done it way before now. Dems are just hoping that they can get through Nov and win the senate. That is all this is. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm at work and unable to watch (but screwing around on Surly over lunch) and I'm confused as to the discussion around flying on a plane.  Are they trying to pin her on a fake excuse on why she couldn't be there on Monday?  In the grand scheme of things, does a 3 day delay matter much for a lifetime appointment?

Cliffs:

She is afraid to fly, but does so for her own pleasure...so she's not creditable as a witness.

27 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Which I kind of feel sorry for this woman. Not a lot of time to prep, no deposition, nothing but a statement, an article, and some hearsay. 

And yet she took the gig.  I don't feel the least bit sorry for her.  If anyone with a pulse hasn't yet figured out that hitching your wagon to the modern Republican Party is a dicey proposition at best, then too bad.  She wagered her reputation, and she probably lost the bet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yea I don’t understand where they are going in this.  Of course flying anxiety is relative.   My wife is very anxious about flying and will avoid it at all costs.  However, when i tell her i want to take fam to Maui she is fine.