Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You never answered my question.

That coupled with the fact that you are of the opinion that Herman is bringing championship here tells me all I need to know.

I answered your question, Herman is better, and my evidence is that he's never been fired from Collie Station. You don't have anything to argue back, so instead you just lie.

Go choke on Stumblins dick at Arizona, he's right there. Jumbo Fisher is in Collie station, go root for them until Herman is gone.

Fuck off.

• Fuck You 2

5 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Mensa my ass. Book smart apparently, but no common sense. Beck is going to be your Watson/Waterloo you stupid fuck. 

Fun fact: actual intelligent people don't need a membership card to show everyone how smart they are. The whole Mensa thing was one of the first things I didn't like about him.

As far as this "he needs three seasons" bull shit I keep reading, what on earth has he done to warrant another 2 games, let alone 2 years? Between this, keeping Mehringer, Warehime (when Joey McGuire could have been had, no less), Giles, and Beck, haven't you seen enough? How about the amazing job Giles did coaching up the DL today? Maybe it was a mind game to make Maryland think the pressure could start at any minute? No matter what it was, they looked like dog shit. And how could we forget about the Casey Horny debacle where Tommy  did everything he could to keep his boy ("fans and media don't know about this stuff." I guess because we don't have the football knowledge to spot a fucking a rape enabler?) before Fenves finally had to step in and FORCE TH to do the right thing. 

If I had my way, Herman would be left Kiffen style on the fucking tarmac tonight. Today's game showed me everything I needed to see and I'm done with his ass. They should just rip the band-aid off and do it now. 

6 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I answered your question, Herman is better, and my evidence is that he's never been fired from Collie Station. You don't have anything to argue back, so instead you just lie.

Go choke on Stumblins dick at Arizona, he's right there. Jumbo Fisher is in Collie station, go root for them until Herman is gone.

Fuck off.

Yes, because not liking my team's coach for a myriad of reasons (many of which have ZILCH to do with football) means I should turn in my fan card.  What a load of horseshit.

Since we're dealing in false equivalence here, if YOU were a real fan, you'd want what's best for the program (instead of siding with an individual), which is clearly getting rid of Mensa Tom.

Stop being such a bad fan. Maybe you're the one who should go cheer for Jimbo Aggins and his fighting sheep fuckers.

Edited by campcrunk

10 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

And so it should have come as no surprise that the ignorant, unsophisticated football-watching public completely misconstrued what happened to Herman's Longhorns in their season-opening loss to Maryland on Saturday, when what appeared to be the latest in a long line of UT humiliations was actually nothing of the sort. 

Fucking fantastic.  Misconstrued.

Just now, campcrunk said:

Yes, because not liking my team's coach for a myriad of reasons (many of which have ZILCH to do with football) mean I should turn in my fan card.  What a load of horseshit.

Since we're dealing in false equivalence here, if YOU were a real fan, you'd want what's best for the program (instead of siding with an individual), which is clearly getting rid of Mensa Tom.

Stop being such a bad fan. Maybe you're the one who should go cheer for Jimbo Aggins and his fighting sheep fuckers.

Sure, continue to be a fan and root against the HC for your myriad of reasons, zilch of which have to do with football. Good luck with that.

8 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Did you watch the game?
How about one sack and no QB hurries? That's a pretty stark improvement from last year.
142 yards rushing, 263 yards passing.
We haven't had that amount of offensive production against a Big 5 team since D'Onta was here, and that was one year. Prior to that it was 2014. 
Not that we don't have issues on offense - we do. But it's also an obvious improvement.

Special Teams overall is better, although Dickson is irreplaceable.

this was maryland bro.

and what the fuck are you talking about with that offensive production stat? tom beck went over 400 against multiple conference opponents last year. 

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You are not great at supporting your opinion with evidence.

sure, Sumlin was fired, for the same record Tom had last year. Are you saying the win/loss expectations should be lower at Texas than aggy? 

Sumlin won more games every other year at aggy than Tom has.. Except the one that got him fired. So, a coach that wins more at aggy, is worse than one who wins LESS at Texas?!? 

That is a fucked up double standard.

I gave my evidence. Your evidence is that Sumblin beats up on cupcakes for 3 years and gets fired and that he's a better coach because his records were better than Herman's first year record? 

Lol ok man, please don't continue responding to me.

His presser was arrogant as shit for losing to a fucking basketball school, but the most douchey part was when someone asked about "LJ and Colin looking dominat on some plays and dissappearing/going invisible on others".

His response: "What coverage are we talking about...right, so what coverage were they in when they went 'invisible'?

I know he won't call out players in the presser but jfc is he a touchy lil cu#t.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramirezut said:

His presser was arrogant as shit for losing to a fucking basketball school, but the most douchey part was when someone asked about "LJ and Colin looking dominat on some plays and dissappearing/going invisible on others".

His response: "What coverage are we talking about...right, so what coverage were they in when they went 'invisible'?

I know he won't call out players in the presser but jfc is he a touchy lil cu#t.

I'm with you, if he's so fucking smart that he can recognize said coverages and dumb ass reporters can't, why the fuck didn't we adjust and take advantage? It's like he wants us to believe other teams run these defensive schemes that are impossible to score on. If that's the case, we should run those schemes too dumb ass. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I would like to know who is the last home and home p5 to lose to maryland twice.

I'll still watch the games but it sucks that it's pretty much offseason on September 1st already.

Unless I'm read it wrong, it happened last in 2008-09.  And it was Clemson.  So... that's a good sign?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This was striking, from the opening kickoff, on both sides of the ball. Same exact thing in last year's opener. Something is really, really wrong with how we handle our fall camp. 

You mean doing magic shows in the meeting room and family picnics doesn’t prepare our team to win on gameday? What about playing wiffleball and dodgeball two days before a season opener? Does that not help?

13 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Yes, because not liking my team's coach for a myriad of reasons (many of which have ZILCH to do with football) means I should turn in my fan card.  What a load of horseshit.

10 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Sure, continue to be a fan and root against the HC for your myriad of reasons, zilch of which have to do with football. Good luck with that. 

Yes, because those are EXACTLY the things I said. I am 100% rooting against our coach and team completely unrelated to football.

Let me clarify my position since subtlety and implication seem to have no effect on you whatsoever:

1. I love Texas Longhorns football. Always have, always will and I will NEVER root against them;

2. I do not like Tom Herman. Never have. I want him separated from the team I love ASAP, preferably 5 minutes ago.

3. "Myriad of reasons, many of which have nothing to do with football" very clearly implies that many, many of my reasons for not liking Herman are, in fact, football related. There are a great number of those things discussed in this thread and the game thread if you need a refresher.

I'll be very, very clear. The program is bigger, by far, than Mensa Tom. I'd never root against the Horns for ANY reason. However, in spite of that affection for Texas Football neither I nor anyone else is required to like our coach. Or even think he should keep his job. The two are not inexorably tied together in the slightest. 

In any case, I've had enough of your inability to think without using absolutism. I'm done with you. Good night.

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, campcrunk said:

Yes, because those are EXACTLY the things I said. I am 100% rooting against our coach and team completely unrelated to football.

Let me clarify my position since subtlety and implication seem to have no effect on you whatsoever:

1. I love Texas Longhorns football. Always have, always will and I will NEVER root against them;

2. I do not like Tom Herman. Never have. I want him separated from the team I love ASAP, preferably 5 minutes ago.

3. "Myriad of reasons, many of which have nothing to do with football" very clearly implies that many, many of my reasons for not liking Herman are, in fact, football related. There are a great number of those things discussed in this thread and the game thread if you need a refresher.

I'll be very, very clear. The program is bigger, by far, than Mensa Tom. I'd never root against the Horns for ANY reason. However, in spite of that affection for Texas Football neither I nor anyone else is required to like our coach. Or even think he should keep his job. The two are not inexorably tied together in the slightest. 

Got it. You are rooting against the coach of the team you are rooting for. Makes perfect sense. 

List the replacements, I'll hang up and listen.

• Fuck You 5

24 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Better. He didn't get fired from aggy. 

He's also not a stumblin drunk retard.

You gonna change your username when Herman is bringing actual championships here and Kevin Strumblins is in rehab?

The only way Herman is bringing championships to Texas is as the driver delivering the trophies from championsips that another coaches have won. 

He may have some knowledge pertaining to the game of football, but he couldn't lead a platoon of Marines into a whorehouse.  He does not inspire his staff or the players to put forth an acceptable amount of effort, he does not hold his coaching staff accountable for their failures, and he does not take responsibility for his mistakes.  He isn't going to bring a championship to Texas or any other program.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Better. He didn't get fired from aggy. 

He's also not a stumblin drunk retard.

You gonna change your username when Herman is bringing actual championships here and Kevin Strumblins is in rehab?

The only way Herman is bringing championships to Texas is as the driver delivering the trophies from championsips that another coaches have won. 

He may have some knowledge pertaining to the game of football, but he couldn't lead a platoon of Marines into a whorehouse.  He does not inspire his staff or the players to put forth an acceptable amount of effort, he does not hold his coaching staff accountable for their failures, and he does not take responsibility for his mistakes.  He isn't going to bring a championship to Texas or any other program.

25 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:
  Hide contents

As usual, Tom Herman knew better than the rest of us.

He always has. From the month he stepped on campus as head coach at Texas, it became plainly obvious there was no reason to question the credentials of anyone he chose to hire or the caliber of anyone he chose to play, because most of us simple-minded folk cannot even dream of comprehending all of the subtle intricacies that go into such decisions.

And so it should have come as no surprise that the ignorant, unsophisticated football-watching public completely misconstrued what happened to Herman's Longhorns in their season-opening loss to Maryland on Saturday, when what appeared to be the latest in a long line of UT humiliations was actually nothing of the sort.

Silly us. We are so naïve, so painfully uninformed, that we thought we were watching a team as unprepared to start Herman's second season as it was to start its first. Dummies that we are, we assumed that a flurry of bone-headed penalties and a rash of late-game turnovers were signs of a squad that remains as sloppy and as undisciplined as ever, but the truth is we just did not understand how much the Longhorns had improved.

Thankfully, Herman was gracious enough to break it down for the reporters covering the game in Landover, Maryland, and thereby set a country full of mouth-breathing college football watchers straight.

Sure, it might have seemed like the Longhorns made all the same mistakes they did last year, and that the offense showed no signs of progress from a season in which it ranked as one of the worst in the Big 12, but that's only because we did not notice any of the details Herman and his staff did.

"We saw a lot of development," Herman said. "I wouldn't say we failed in that area."

And although we know-nothings might have assumed it might be a unnerving to lose a second consecutive opener to a moribund program that had spent the last month mired in a scandal, and was playing for an interim head coach, and had not beaten any ranked team aside from UT in 22 tries dating to 2011, it's actually no big deal.

After all, when Herman was asked by some knee-jerk journalist to describe how big a setback the defeat was for a program that wants so desperately to be taken seriously again that it made "Prove Us Right" the team motto, he answered, "Not very."

After all, can't the world see how right the wise John Mackovic was when he referred to such temporary embarrassments as "a blip on the radar screen?"

The general public just has no perspective. Fans watch a team suffer a loss like Saturday's, which flukishly included a bunch of the symptoms of six losses last fall, and they trick themselves into seeing the continuation of a trend.

That nonsense makes Herman shake his head.

"A lot of people are going to want to say this feels a lot like last year," Herman said. "It doesn't to me."

What the rest of us need to realize is that Vince Lombardi was wrong. Winning isn't the only thing. And Bill Parcells misspoke when he said a team is what its record says it is.

Sometimes, all that matters is how good the team thinks it is. And the outside world just needs to trust the coach on that.

"We know how much better we are now than we were probably at any point last year," Herman said. "We didn't show it in the first quarter and the fourth quarter."

Minor details, those. Second-guessing anything that happens during pivotal moments in the game — which quarterback Herman uses, which plays the team runs, etc. — is pointless, just as it was to second-guess the decisions Herman made way back when he was just starting at UT.

Some of us remember the reception he got when he hired Tim Beck as offensive coordinator, despite a bit of a lackluster track record, and when he hired Casey Horny as a quality control assistant, despite his longtime association with a Baylor staff apparently unaware of what was happening in its own program.

Herman's message back then was clear. He knew better than the rest of us.

And clearly, he still does. He surely realizes that UT fans never should have expected a national contender to come anytime soon, anyway. After all, over the past 34 years, the Longhorns have finished as many seasons unranked as they have in the Top 25.

That decade-long streak of success to start the Mack Brown era? That was the outlier, not the norm.

Despite what many Longhorns continue to believe, winning football games is not their birthright. They need to realize all of this is far more complicated than it looks.

And they need to admit that when it comes to believing their own eyes or the guy who knows better, well, the choice is obvious. [/spoiler]

fucking mensa.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Finger-Tom-Herman-still-smarter-than-rest-of-us-13199580.php

I’m glad Finger wrote that. In a major newspaper no less. Herman is such a smug dickhead. Being a smug dickhead who thinks he knows everything works when you’re Saban and you actually do know everything. But when you don’t you’re just a dickhead. 

Glad the media is sick of his condescending tone. I’ll never forget his Joe Fan bullshit when the Beck hire was announced. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, TexasMan said:

WTF does this even mean??

This means he's narcissistic and is gaslighting the fans....the ignorant unwashed masses who are beneath him.

Ignore what you see on the field or in the box score.....we're good....Trust me, I'm brilliant. These are not the droids you are looking for......etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1

FUCK THIS god-damned motherfucker Tom Herman.  He fucking let Texas lose to Maryland 2 years in a row.  I don't want to hear any of this "it's only his second year" bullshit.  It's acceptable for a new coach who is trying to rebuild Texas to lose to a powerhouse team his first 2 years, but to get embarrassed by a shitty team like Maryland that should be a cupcake is unacceptable.  Tom, take your fucking Mensa card and shove it up your fucking ass.  Also, fuck Tim Beck and the rest of your coaching staff.  Fuck that crack snacker Chris Plonsky too, and fuck everyone else at UT who has let us suck for the last 9 years!  

Time for another beer.....

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I blame Garret Gilbert. The program has been completely fucked and cursed ever since that soft patsy ass was inserted into the national title game to replace an injured Colt. Tom Herman is garbage, he's not any better than Charlie Strong. If Orlando is smart he'll take a HC job elsewhere at the conclusion of this season.

5 hours ago, Snacks said:
5 hours ago, Helobious said:
Georgia, Bama, Washington, and others have had success recently with true freshman QB's. 

they have good OL

Their O-lines didn't just fall from the sky - they were recruited and developed by ....wait for it......good coaches.

39 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Look Michelle, he's kind of an arrogant prick.  You should know it, you live with him, I can only imagine how condescending he might be when you lock your keys in your car and he goes on about paper clips and coat hanger or whatever.  

We expect a coach of a big time program to have a huge ego, but we expect him to win for the millions of $$ y'all take home.  Believe it or not, we understand that every game probably won't be won, but a complete lack of preparation, recurring mistakes, shitty assistant choices, indifference to losing,  and most of all a completely inept offense when that supposed to be your mans trademark? That on top of the arrogance is just too much for the peanut gallery.  

There's a lot of people who pour hard earned money into this program making it one of the richest in the country.  So dust off your vagina and realize we were here before he arrived and will be here long after he is gone, and that if he can't produce wins that support his extravagant salary we will move on and keep looking.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Unless I'm read it wrong, it happened last in 2008-09.  And it was Clemson.  So... that's a good sign?

Except Dabos first move after being named head coach replacing Bowden was to fire his offensive coordinator.  So there's that difference.  

20 minutes ago, Chad said:

I blame Garret Gilbert. The program has been completely fucked and cursed ever since that soft patsy ass was inserted into the national title game to replace an injured Colt. Tom Herman is garbage, he's not any better than Charlie Strong. If Orlando is smart he'll take a HC job elsewhere at the conclusion of this season.

Orlando may not get the chance. His defense was absolute trash today.

Herman just lost to a bunch of 3 stars (not the Colt McCoy variety) who had no coach. The offense still looks like Shawn Watson never left. The defense gave up drive extending penalties. Our QB thinks his passes aren't on target unless the receiver is jumping for it. The run game is still predictable and abandoned when it finally starts working.

Looking like another season of hurt, gentlemen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Charlie's team would've folded like a cheap suit when it was 24-7. The final score probably would've been 51-10 

This is what it's come to in the Strong/Herman era, ladies and gentlemen. Arguing about which team was the better loser. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Listen guys.  After 8 months to prepare, you just don’t go to a neutral field with a crowd that is 66% your fans against a team that was sub-.500 last year and has an interim coach because they’re head coach created a toxic environment that resulted in a dead player, and expect to win.  

Exactly.  Also, sometimes 8 months and 35 seconds just isn’t enought time to get the play ready to avoid a delay penalty.  That delay flagged was just bizarre.  IMO, worse than the “Chollie failed at the Cal coin toss” shit.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, scottsins said:

Exactly.  Also, sometimes 8 months and 35 seconds just isn’t enought time to get the play ready to avoid a delay penalty.  That delay flagged was just bizarre.  IMO, worse than the “Chollie failed at the Cal coin toss” shit.

I forgot about that. Delay of game to start the season. That is so Texas.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic