Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

7 minutes ago, 4Pete said:

Betcha Cougar High is glad we took the one we did and left the one that was the brains behind the operation all along.

Found my White Apple t-shirt. Don't care that he chased a little tail.  

Texas chose poorly.

I remember the UH players were asked how the MA era differed from Herman's time in H-town, and the one of the replies was that there was a lot less screaming.

I feel like TH and company probably confuse yelling with coaching, and I bet that's a good bit of why the team comes out "tight".

3 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

The thing I just do not get is how TH cannot put an adequate offense together with the personnel we've got. This guy has implemented a successful offense at OSU with a 3rd string QB against Bama. He took a WR at UH and made him serviceable at QB. All this other shit aside, I just want to see an offense that exploits defensive weaknesses. He's done this everywhere else but has forgotten how at Texas?

It is pretty baffling. Like, Tom Herman knows so much more about football offense than I ever will. I have no doubt in this. He’s put together championship-caliber offenses. There’s no way he doesn’t know our offense sucks total balls. And yet I see nothing to indicate he’s getting any closer to changing that fact.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

The thing I just do not get is how TH cannot put an adequate offense together with the personnel we've got. This guy has implemented a successful offense at OSU with a 3rd string QB against Bama. He took a WR at UH and made him serviceable at QB. All this other shit aside, I just want to see an offense that exploits defensive weaknesses. He's done this everywhere else but has forgotten how at Texas?

Exactly. We do have talent on offense. But we have no identity or scheme in our playcalling. We're not executing a game plan. We're just running plays. 

Just now, Thermos H. Christ said:

It is pretty baffling. Like, Tom Herman knows so much more about football offense than I ever will. I have no doubt in this. He’s put together championship-caliber offenses. There’s no way he doesn’t know our offense sucks total balls. And yet I see nothing to indicate he’s getting any closer to changing that fact.

Why are they not using Sam in the run game? 

5 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

This is why Beck needs to be fired.  either he called the plays or "the major" called them under him.  He needs to be exposed so we can see if it was just Major or Urb's players/recruiting.

2 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I wonder if his success is really attributable to him?

This is not unusual : at this level there are 2 types of successful coaches-- those who really can coach, develop, motivate, delegate, and successfully manage hiring subordinates, and those who are posers and coattail off the success of freak athletes, gifted coordinators, or luck, or combinations of all of the above.

Looks like we are stuck with a poser again. I hope I am wrong.

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I remember the UH players were asked how the MA era differed from Herman's time in H-town, and the one of the replies was that there was a lot less screaming.

I feel like TH and company probably confuse yelling with coaching, and I bet that's a good bit of why the team comes out "tight".

That was Ed Oliver that said that. His exact quote was "a lot less yelling and a lot more coaching". More than a few posters on the shag laughed at him and called him a soft bitch for saying that at the time. 

I’m now thinking, was it Meyer.
I’m now thinking, was it Major.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Since he is Mensa, as he reminds me as often as vegans remind me of their life choices...can we start a "Real Men of Genius" series dedicated to him?  

"Here's to you thin-skinned coach who doesn't understand the $5mm isn't so much for you to win as it is for you to shut the fuck up with your whine after some tough questions"

(other singing guy)---"I am above you!" 

anyway, you get the idea...

Wait when does he mention he is Mensa? He literally never mentions it and said when he was hired that he isn't a member anymore. Just hate him for being bad here, you don't need to make shit up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Why are they not using Sam in the run game? 

Used him a bit more today, but it's not enough.  They probably win last week if they run Sam more throughout the game.

If Sam's not running the ball, he has no business being out there.  He's the third best passer of 4 QBs and is the opposite of clutch.  If/when he gets injured you go to plan B.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

You're right, no other mentions of him and mensa on other threads or in real life.  Sorry I'll delete.  Sorry to bother you.  Move along.

Me calling you a dumbass isn't being upset, it's you being dumber than Tim Beck. God I want to know how you got into Texas. Everyone here makes fun of him for being Mensa, you'll see it mentioned in threads, but you'll never see him say it because he isn't in it and he doesn't care about it. Just bitch about the game, there is so much to bitch about. Anyways, fire Tim Beck.

Fire Tim Beck. Fly him out to USC and leave him on the tarmac of LAX.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

We can’t run the football... our offensive line is not going to be good this year and there is no one to replace Anderson or Vahe next year... which says very little. We have to throw to open up the run game. Should be the opposite. 

24 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

How do we know it wasn't Urbans influence on the offense at Ohio State that made Hermann look like a genius? They only dropped off a little under Beck, and we know how bad he sucks at offense.  Urban cut him lose as soon as he knew Beck was useless, but they still won a lot of games even with Beck.

Edited by Ramdiesel

55 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Pancho's mom one time last year: "Did your team win?"

Me: "No, we lost."

Pancho's mom: "Well maybe they wore the wrong color jerseys this time?  They need to change jerseys."

Rimbo's Mom asks questions more along the lines of, "Why isn't anyone covering the tight end?" and "Why is Kyle Porter in there instead of that kid who was getting 6 YPC?" and shit like that.

Rimbo's Mom could probably coach the team better than Hermensa

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eastwood said:
3 hours ago, Capn81 said:
Because we wasted another year on Charlie, we should give tommy another year?  Just trying to make sure that I understand your logic.  

More of a "way of the college football landscape" deal than a "fairness" deal. The optics are really bad if Tom does equal to Charlie and gets one less year. The job has to remain attractive and hair trigger firings are ugly. To Sub's point, I think he does get another year at 5-7. To the point that he isn't CDC's guy, so that might mean the leash is shorter, I think that all depends on who is on the docket as far as head coaches go at the end of the season. I'm personally sick of picking up the hot new thing, but say a Larry Fedora type cracks into the top 10 or NY bowl game. Then I think it would be tempting.

CS wasn't Perrin's guy either. And Fedora isn't gonna win big this year either, but maybe some coach on his level will, so your larger point might still stand. 

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Imagine this...

The reason why Mack hasn't taken any other jobs is because he wants to be the next Purple Wizard and come back to Texas. I would want to see it happen just to watch the fan base burn. At least it would be more entertaining than what's going on now.

OMG NOOOOOOOO. Ask our resident recruiting junkies about the garbage he was assembling in the last couple of classes that weren't. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

A lot of the complaints I heard about Charlie are applicable with Tom. He also has the same excuses Charlie did, not his recruited players. But it's clear he has to make some dramatic changes in a very short time to keep his job.

All coaches have the same trick bag of excuses, but it is undeniable that we had upperclassman NFL talent last year. We put seven dudes in the league this year. It's been forever since we did that. Maybe, just maybe, the cake was baked last year, but Herman left it out in the rain. Maybe some of those dudes would have stuck around for one more year under the coach they signed with and loved. 

Shit, "Coach Potato" just took down GA Tech today. No, the Yellowjackets are not a powerhouse, but they are a solid P5 school (and USF is not) and the supposed special teams moron CS won via two KO return TDs. CS had a shitty long-snapper who cost us some games. That's flukey and weird. That dude got the yips and there isn't much you can do about that. What big special teams plays has Herman brought us here? Any game changing returns? Blocked kicks? That's where you make your bones on special teams. Worked for Frank Beamer and Mack Brown. It hasn't for Tom Herman, nor, admittedly, CS at Texas, but it seems like it is working for him at USF for whatever reason. 

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

We were told by certain posters that Herman was the answer.  

And that if you didn't want Herman you were a grade a fucking idiot who doesn't deserve to root for this program. 

Man, where are all those posters now? And where were all the anti-Hermanoids then? As Sweetjones on the old board, I was pretty much all alone with cdt in our belief that Herman was a fraud. Even after all those embarrassing losses against teams like UConn, SMU and Navy. 

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

It's a myth that Herman turned Ward into a QB. Levine benched O'Korn in October of his final season at UH (2014) and Ward was the starter for the last eight games. And Ward was way more than "serviceable." Dude was a stud at that level, even if he regressed a little in his second year under Herman's QB whispering. 

Stats:

Passing Rushing
Year Team GP Cmp Att Pct Yards TDs Int Yards Avg TDs
2013 Houston 10 19 29 65.5 310 1 0 176 3.9 2
2014 Houston 13 177 263 67.3 2,010 12 7 573 4.9 6
2015 Houston 14 231 345 67.0 2,827 21 6 1,114 5.7 21
2016 Houston 12 319 469 68.0 3,557 22 13 518 2.6 10
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Thujone said:

We all thought this guy was gonna come in and be a bit of a prick, but a hardcore football coach who demanded the best from his players, aka a young saban.

This motherfucker is baby Mack. We are fucking soft. He preaches it. Have fun, pussies. I was never on the Tom bandwagon and I'm sure as shit not getting on it.

Tom Herman couldn’t tie Mack Brown’s shoes.

Listening to cdc I am more than confident this guy will be the one that will fly out to Clemson at seasons end and convince a guy like dabo to come here. Not having a competent AD in place years ago is why we hired Charlie and Herman and not someone that can handle the pressure of being the head coach at Texas. 

CDC sounded monotone and defeated during the game tonight compared to how upbeat he was on lhn pregame show, of this continues there is no way he won’t make a change at seasons end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

One, CDC has not made a major football hire that I’m aware of. (Although he appears to be a wizard with understanding gameday atmosphere and raising money) Two, for those of you that keep mentioning Dabo, just stop. He ain’t coming here.

The school in BCS proved you can money whip just about anyone.  Herman is completely lost.  Firing offensive coaches isn't gonna fix shit.  The best thing for the program is for us to have a really bad year that gives clear justification for firing Herman after 2 seasons.

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The school in BCS proved you can money whip just about anyone.  Herman is completely lost.  Firing offensive coaches isn't gonna fix shit.  The best thing for the program is for us to have a really bad year that gives clear justification for firing Herman after 2 seasons.

That’s only true when the coach is not happy with where he is. Jimbo knew he ran that program into the ground and likely wanted a fresh start. Dabo has built an empire in Clemson, complete with slides in the players lounge.

He will get whatever he wants while he’s there and if he ever leaves it will be to his Alma mater when Saban retires.

agree on your second point since it appears the 2020 recruiting class is borked anyways.

Edited by Enchubben
  • Like 1

This situation reminds me of that story when the guy got his arm caught in rocks while mountain climbing. He could wait it out and maybe have a 5 percent chance of being saved or he could take out his pocket knife and painful cut his fucking arm off and have a 95 percent chance to survive.. That badass cut his arm clean off and lived... probably didnt even go back and look at his mensa arm. ever. . I bet he climbed mount Everest after that. maybe 2 or 3 times with a new arm. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Remember when we laughed  when McNeal and Southhall said the strength and conditioning program was better at FAU than Texas?

Looking like they may have been telling the truth.

From what I can tell that hasn’t been a problem with Yancy. He, Washington, Carrington, and to an extent Orlando would be some of the few I would keep around with a coaching change. Maybe Hand. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

That’s only true when the coach is not happy with where he is. Jimbo knew he ran that program into the ground and likely wanted a fresh start. Dabo has built an empire in Clemson, complete with slides in the players lounge.

He will get whatever he wants while he’s there and if he ever leaves it will be to his Alma mater when Saban retires.

agree on your second point since it appears the 2020 recruiting class is borked anyways.

Exactly.  Jimbo and FSU were both tired of each other.  A&M capitalized even if it did cost them a lot of $$$.

The same cannot be said with the Dabo & Clemson situation.  Why would he leave a great thing there for this cesspool? 

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

From what I can tell that hasn’t been a problem with Yancy. He, Washington, Carrington, and to an extent Orlando would be some of the few I would keep around with a coaching change. Maybe Hand. 

I don't know, we seem to wilt in the 4th quarter and get pushed around in the trenches.  Of course that could be a result of bad coaching too, from not substituting and not properly teaching the fundamentals.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic