Official "Fuck this stupid ass-commercial" thread

Prepuce of Doom

I don't understand how it's OK in the ad industry to make commercials that make your client's customers look stupid.

1.  Yet State Farm has the entire series where Aaron Rodgers is employing a completely incompetent agent.

2.  Discover has the commercial where the moron calls to cancel because he won't pay an annual fee.  

Recommend you guys check out Adam Carolla's "Commercial Grade" segments.  The December one is linked below and starts at 40:30.  Every few weeks, he has Christie Bishop (advertising/branding expert) on to dissect a handful of commercials.  He hits on a lot of the ones covered in this thread.

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/acs-part-1-adam-ray-commercial-grade-christie-bishop/id306390087?i=1000426092634&mt=2

Or on your preferred podcast app, search for - The Adam Carolla Show - December 19, 2018 Adam Ray, and Commercial Grade with Christie Bishop Part 1

The segment starts at 40:30 of part 1.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:29 PM, Beau Vine said:

I don't understand how it's OK in the ad industry to make commercials that make your client's customers look stupid.

1.  Yet State Farm has the entire series where Aaron Rodgers is employing a completely incompetent agent.

2.  Discover has the commercial where the moron calls to cancel because he won't pay an annual fee.  

They’re advertising to about 98% of the country at that point.

Edited by slorch

41 minutes ago, slorch said:

They’re advertising to about 98% of the country at that point.

I think ISWYDT

You're saying the advertisers are targeting the 98% that are impressionable and can easily relate to incompetence?  As opposed to the customer 2%ers that won't fall for their schtick?

I was never good at lit/language.  Is this an allegory?

22 hours ago, DougO said:

I don't think there has ever been a pepsi ad that didn't suck almost as much as pepsi.

When MJ's hair went up in flames... That was pretty awesome.

Re: Kendrick, I agree. She's gotten weird looking. She was pretty cute in some movies.

Probably not for long but I am enjoying the taco Bell nacho fries trailers. Pretty funny.

• Like 2

Oh look the kids from those gum commercials where the nambypamby bitchboy drew shit on gum wrappers for the horse-faced object of his affection are all grown up.  There's one where they argue and he has to further ingratiate himself to her by drawing them making up on a gum wrapper.  Have some self-respect and bang a coworker until horseface gets over whatever she's mad about and that twat thaws out instead, bitchboy!  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

At some point she’ll get some self respect and realize that drawing stick figures on a random piece of garbage doesn’t make up for pissing way their life savings on a Ponzi scheme or making a pass at her best friend  or whatever he did to get in trouble. 

26 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Dancing Metamucil girl just took a healthy shit and floated all over the room, two feet off the floor.    

Isn’t promoting “feeling light” as a waife like ballet dancer floats around room (white chick no less) triggering for millennials who want you to believe that a dumpy 4 foot 9 chick was an ass wider than Stony Clark is just as desirable and healthy as person who is height and weight proportional?  

On 1/30/2019 at 10:27 PM, DougO said:

I don't think there has ever been a pepsi ad that didn't suck almost as much as pepsi.

This one nailed it though... wish SB commercials were remotely this good now.

7 hours ago, DougO said:

The whole Pepsi vs Coke thing just reeked of aggy to me.

From the working side of it, it was/ is absolutely real.  people lose their jobs for doing that shit.  Expense reports get rejected because some careless dumbass entertained clients/ co-workers at the wrong place...and I don't mean strip clubs or adult entertainment. The venues simply served the competition's beverages. If you got photographed with the competition's stuff, you were in deep shit.

Unlike aggy, this is real. I may or may not have been a soldier in the soda wars just before this commercial came out.  It was some of the most gratifying, most rewarding time as a salesman; and it had almost nothing to do with the money.  It was a turf war every fucking day.  It was great.

Imagine your job had the hatred of Texas/OU, but it was every freaking day, you had keep it (semi) legal, and your livelihood depended upon it.

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, slorch said:

From the working side of it, it was/ is absolutely real.  people lose their jobs for doing that shit.  Expense reports get rejected because some careless dumbass entertained clients/ co-workers at the wrong place...and I don't mean strip clubs or adult entertainment. The venues simply served the competition's beverages. If you got photographed with the competition's stuff, you were in deep shit.

Unlike aggy, this is real. I may or may not have been a soldier in the soda wars just before this commercial came out.  It was some of the most gratifying, most rewarding time as a salesman; and it had almost nothing to do with the money.  It was a turf war every fucking day.  It was great.

Imagine your job had the hatred of Texas/OU, but it was every freaking day, you had keep it (semi) legal, and your livelihood depended upon it.

Competition betwen them has always been real. But Pepsi seems like the one that can run an ad without mentioning Coke.

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Are the Super Bowl commercials going to be SJW preachy again this year? I think I'd rather read a Derka diatribe about Rick Barnes than sit through that shit again.

I fully expect to hear about how horrible a person I am and that every woman, child and minority is a victim of my mysogeny and privilege (even though im a minority myself). Corporate America can go fuck themselves right in their fuck holes. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 5

On 2/2/2019 at 4:36 AM, slorch said:

I'd rather imagine that I'm not selling soft drinks.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'd rather imagine that I'm not selling soft drinks.

It's a livin( Rocky voice)

Honestly, it was fun as fuck.  Rivalry day every fucking day.

new opportunities came about...

On 2/2/2019 at 5:58 PM, Lhorn said:

I fully expect to hear about how horrible a person I am and that every woman, child and minority is a victim of my mysogeny and privilege (even though im a minority myself). Corporate America can go fuck themselves right in their fuck holes. 

Stop being a shitty person and then you went feel so bad

17 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Stop being a shitty person and then you went feel so bad

Even setting aside the politics, it's the insipid condescension. I am not an eight year old girl and I don't want to be talked to as if I am one. The commercials used to be funny. Another cultural institution destroyed by phony do gooders.

• Like 2