The movie you just watched

F250

12 hours ago, pch said:

Going to dinner tonight with friends and to watch this movie after.  Been anticipating this evening for two weeks since buying advance sale tickets and reading reviews from members here who have seen it.  The book is a great read and if the movie comes close to matching the printed story, it should win awards.

Not a bad way to end 2023 watching this movie with two other couples.  As for the critics on Rotten Tomatoes who gave it 57%, EABOD.  Audience gave it 96% and I just wonder if the critics didn't wander into Barbie instead of Boys in the Boat when they voted. 

The Iron Claw was good, even if incomplete and sports bio formulaic at times. Nailed the casting on Fritz for sure. Everyone did great acting jobs. Will probably get a major nomination or two, but won't win anything.

ETA: while they nailed the casting of Fritz, the movie was still far too kind to him. What a piece of shit he was lol. Tragic that Kevin still defends him to this day, but I sort of get it.

Edited by safe sex

Saw Poor Things last night at the theater. Three couples walked out midway through. Didn’t pay them much thought as the movie kept our attention. Emma deserves all the accolades she gets and the three male actors were very good. 

This is the third yorgos llanthimos movie I’ve seen and so I was a little prepared for the wtf moments.  But my date hadn’t seen any and she thought it was astoundingly but enjoyably weird.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:55 AM, dogbreath said:

Saw Poor Things last night at the theater. Three couples walked out midway through. Didn’t pay them much thought as the movie kept our attention. Emma deserves all the accolades she gets and the three male actors were very good. 

This is the third yorgos llanthimos movie I’ve seen and so I was a little prepared for the wtf moments.  But my date hadn’t seen any and she thought it was astoundingly but enjoyably weird.

Have seen it three times so far, and I wouldn't mind a fourth. There is so much to take in! What a film. What acting from everyone, but especially Emma Stone, holy shit.

At every showing, I had people walk out during the brothel segment. Curiously, morally outraged Boomers and frightened-of-sex Gen Zers were both well represented.

Was also not expecting to see Emma Stone's pussy on a big screen in 2023, but well, here I am anyway. 

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, safe sex said:

Have seen it three times so far, and I wouldn't mind a fourth. There is so much to take in! What a film. What acting from everyone, but especially Emma Stone, holy shit.

At every showing, I had people walk out during the brothel segment. Curiously, morally outraged Boomers and frightened-of-sex Gen Zers were both well represented.

Was also not expecting to see Emma Stone's pussy on a big screen in 2023, but well, here I am anyway. 

IMG_0001.gif.ef043284c96a196a0f170b2ac965ec58.gif

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Underdog said:

IMG_0001.gif.ef043284c96a196a0f170b2ac965ec58.gif

Go see Poor Things. Obv it's not like...an upclose shot of her vagina. But she's in full body nudity or topless a remarkable amount of time for the movie. It's pretty besides the point though, because her acting job in this is transcendent.

• Like 1

Holdovers: loved

Oppenheimer: fell asleep, great cast, bloated and confusing film. Compliments to Nolan for his daring.

Spirited: abandoned at beginning of third song

Love Actually: Become a tradition at Christmas. Great stuff.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy if we're talking Oldman's best work.  It's gotta be up there.

I gotta give this another try. First time I thought it was meh. Maybe I was half asleep that day

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy if we're talking Oldman's best work.  It's gotta be up there.

Absolutely agree.  His turn in Slow Horses on Apple+ is also worth a look.  Have always enjoyed his work.

• Like 1

The original Oldboy has been off streaming for several years for some reason, but is finally available (Netflix, rent on Apple and Prime)

One of my favorite movies, but don't watch with the kids 

Watched Planes Trains and Automobiles with the kids. I had no idea it was rated R, but it’s pretty much completely because of the scene at the rental car counter that has a dozen or so F-bombs.

It’s a 90 minute movie that takes its time more than I remembered. I also didn’t recall that Kevin Bacon was in it.

Put off Saltburn because of all the spoilers but I thought it was great. As others have said - the final act missed a bit for me but loved the final scene. Also - I can appreciate a beautifully shot movie and this is stunning in parts.

Theme party at a castle is bucket list.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Scraps said:

Equalizer 3

Denzel is my GOAT, but damn if I want to read for an hour and a half I would get a book.

Probably the reason I can't get myself to watch new Godzilla.

I liked it.  The subtitles don’t bother me because I always have closed captioning on since television dialog is getting hard for me to follow in my old age

• Hook 'Em 1

I liked it.  The subtitles don’t bother me because I always have closed captioning on since television dialog is getting hard for me to follow in my old age
I do too for movies normally, but i don't read every word in English.

With that shit you can't look away ever unless you want to rewind or just say fuck it and not know what was said lol.

I don't mind minor non english parts, but this was too much for me.

MERICA
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just went and watched Fight Club at the Alamo. I hadn’t seen it since opening night in ‘99.

Man, the fight sound design is sickening. Just brutal.

It was fun seeing all the hints to the ending this time around.

I didn’t realize that NIN’s Copy of A was from a quote in this movie. I wonder if Reznor got the idea when rewatching Fincher’s films when working on a score for him.

Nice to see the dude from Mindhunter getting work back in the day.

I finished out Kill Shot this morning.   Stupid action movie with all the bad tropes and shitty acting.   The best patt of the movie was the ending because they didn't take the easy, contrived way out.

I'm 20 years late on Mystic River but damn, what a great movie.  Huge cast that all around and just gut wrenching with the ending between Jimmy and Dave.    

My favorite/best movies I watched in 2023

1) The Great Beauty 10/10

2) Army of Shadows 10/10

3) Kwaidan 10/10

4) Branded to Kill 9/10

5) Grave of the Fireflies (animated) 9/10

6) New World (the asian movie) 8.5/10

7) McCabe and Mrs Miller 8.5/10

'8) Phoenix 8/10

9) Azor 8/10

10) Terrifier 2 8/10

In no order (8/10 movies)

Paprika (animated)
The Menu
Tar
Repo Man
Infinity Pool
Bullitt
In the Loop
Hostiles
Sorcerer
Three Colors
Nashville
My Own Private Idaho
John Wick 4

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:44 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I loved the dance scene at the end.  Good for Barry K.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:26 PM, austingirl said:

I've always thought Barry K was such a weird-looking motherfucker so it was strange seeing him as a sort of playboy. I didn't love the movie (seemed like it was trying to be The Talented Mr. Ripley), but the acting was great and I was especially impressed by Jacob Elordi. IMO he's the weak link in the main Euphoria cast, but I thought he was really good in this. 

yeah, suddenly seeing Barry...differently. heh. 😛 really liked this! love me some 'alt2k' music as well.

On 12/31/2023 at 5:42 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Imagine if “Talented Mr. Ripley” and “Parasite” had a baby. 

great analogy. Ripley is on my top ten list, Damon's best work by a mile imo. 

i wasn't spoiled at all and was kind of oblivious i guess lol, i didn't pick up on the predation until the sister scene, where i was like...whaaaa is happening, how'd he get so...dom?!? 😄😊

Edited by mchookem

Fresh from 1994 

When I was young I went through the whole "hood film" phase and loved all these movies.  I probably should not have been watching them at my age after watching Fresh for the first time in 30 years lol 

Gus Fring in his younger days, Samuel L Jackson as a deadbeat dad chess master.  Dudes straight up murdering (literally) 12 year olds on the basketball court.  

good shit lol

On 1/9/2024 at 11:22 AM, Fud said:

My favorite/best movies I watched in 2023

1) The Great Beauty 10/10

2) Army of Shadows 10/10

3) Kwaidan 10/10

4) Branded to Kill 9/10

5) Grave of the Fireflies (animated) 9/10

6) New World (the asian movie) 8.5/10

7) McCabe and Mrs Miller 8.5/10

'8) Phoenix 8/10

9) Azor 8/10

10) Terrifier 2 8/10

In no order (8/10 movies)

Paprika (animated)
The Menu
Tar
Repo Man
Infinity Pool
Bullitt
In the Loop
Hostiles
Sorcerer
Three Colors
Nashville
My Own Private Idaho
John Wick 4

Gotdam this is a solid 2023. How many of them were new to you?