Reports saying Mike Stoops has been let go

Hornius Emeritus

This move was always expected. It’s why Riley hired Ruffin McNeill. What’s surprising is that he didn’t do it in the offseason after the debacle against Georgia. Wonder what day Bob has/had in the situation.
It’s great to say we’re the ones that drove the stake through.

Tim Kish (born July 1, 1954) is an American football coach currently serving as the linebackers coach for the Oklahoma SoonersKish previously served as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach of the Arizona Wildcats before being promoted to interim head coach upon the firing of head coach Mike Stoops on October 10, 2011. 

mindblown.gif

Edited by Tired of Lurking
  • Like 1

OU's defense has been trash since Venebles left. Stoops was only there because his brother was HC.

Wait, how'd their message boards do that without flying a banner?
Land thieves is still shut down so those fuckers had to go do shit in the real world instead of just bitching on the internet

12 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

What Lincoln won't ever understand is that the offense and defense need to be in unison.  Meaning that they need to actually be cognizant of running clock to rest the defense and dedicate time in pracrice to work on defense.  Air raid and Briles offenses lead to leaky defenses. 

This. You'll never field a good defense with an offense that tries to scores as fast as it can. That defense is starting the game out knowing they need to try and save some energy cause they'll likely be on the field for most of the game. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bob Stoops carries a fuckton of weight in Norman and this will not be something that he’s okay with, even when the stories of Riley reaching out to Bob inevitably surface to make this seem kosher. I am interested to see these ripple effects. 

Is Grimace expected to be the interim guy? That was rumored from the get go. McNeill isn’t the answer either, but he’s Riley’s buddy. Please let him be the guy. 

McNeill isnt a top flight DC, but he is a solid coach. I would think there will be at least some improvement. He knows how to run a passable defense in a hurry up air raid system, which is the thing most people forget about Leach. He is the only one who has really cracked that code.

Edited by Vertigo

8 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Ruffin can coach defense. 

I don’t think McNeil is honestly terrible, but he’s mediocre. Any of the choices being batted around are frankly bad vs going out and finding the best guy in the offseason.  

Riley may be from the Leach/Holgerson/Kingsbury school of thought that “the defense is going to have to figure out a way to keep up”. I hope so. That would be a weak spot in his profile. Those other guys eventually figured it out, but it took them a while. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

I thought Ruffin McNeill did a good job at Tech under Leach and then as a HC at ECU?

And Diaco was once the best DC in the country at ND, before flaming out at UCONN

Both of these dudes would be huge upgrades for OU. 

He was terrible last year at Nebraska. Like laughably bad. 

• Like 1

Hey Bob. Your brother is an unemployed ass clown who just got fired by ou sucks for losing and losing because of suck-ass defense. You’re retired and jerking off to tranny sooner cheerleader gifs. Meanwhile Mack fucking Brown is banking coin giving prerecorded one-offs for ESPN and bouncing orange slices off Sally’s ass. Eat shit, all Stoops. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texaslong said:

This. You'll never field a good defense with an offense that tries to scores as fast as it can. That defense is starting the game out knowing they need to try and save some energy cause they'll likely be on the field for most of the game. 

They don’t need to be good. They just need to not be the worst.  Mike is very likely the worst offensive or defensive coordinator in all of college football.  

Bob still has quite the presence at OU...he’s constantly peeking in on operations, ‘hey guys, you aren’t going to do anything stupid like fire my retarded brother are you?’  Fuck off Bob.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Their secondary is awful.  For the first time this century it feels like, I can't name any of their linebackers after the RRS.  I wasn't worried about a single dude on their defense.

Oklahoma is going to be a dumpster fire after Kyler and Brown leave, and Riley decides to take an NFL job.

4 minutes ago, EtOH said:

Hey Bob. Your brother is an unemployed ass clown who just got fired by ou sucks for losing and losing because of suck-ass defense. You’re retired and jerking off to tranny sooner cheerleader gifs. Meanwhile Mack fucking Brown is banking coin giving prerecorded one-offs for ESPN and bouncing orange slices off Sally’s ass. Eat shit, all Stoops. 

Lol. I was nodding in agreement until you went into Mack being some kind of Boss.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ruffin McNeill will probably be the replacement - he should be competent.

Setentich was DC in 2006, rank 44

They stank to open 2007, Ruffin took over after 3 games, and they finished 50

Ruffin kept the job for 08-09 until Leach was fired (coaching the bowl as interim HC). Their rankings in those years were 69 and 58, respectively.

Ruffin has shown some ability as a defensive coach, but it was not his acumen that cost us in 08. Everybody knew we could score— the frustration was giving Tech too much time.

Curtis Bolton almost quit at halftime. Whatever Haughton was quitting mid-play at the sight of having to tackle Collin. Parnell Motley is one of the worst, and easily aggravated, cornerbacks I've ever seen. Bookie Radley-Hiles is a classless piece of shit. And they still have to start all of these fucks.

The defensive line is good. Kenneth Murray is good. That's about it. This defense is going to need a couple of classes and a tough new coach to escape the bitchassness that is OU defensive football.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Managing a front-running Bob Stoops team as it coasted and Texas rebuilt is not the same thing as building or maintaining a power. We will see how Riley handles his first wrinkle.

this firing demonstrates ever so slightly how focused he is on what he wants the program to be.

basically, he just took Sam's words and applied them to his staff.

Man up, or GTFO.

People want to put it on Stoops, but they just didn’t have the players yesterday. There’s not a DC that can call a defense when your DL is getting man handled and the CBs are being abused by bigger WRs. 

Cant wait til WVU puts them to the sword so those methheads will understand the position they actually are in. 

• Like 2

So has Riley only hired two assistants that were not on Bob Stoops staff, namely Ruffin and Beamer??

(Beamer btw is the son of long-time head coach Frank Beamer.)

#Sooners coaches salary from new contracts:

Riley: $4.8 million (up from 3.1m)
Stoops: $950k (920k)
McNeill: $570k (560k)
Bedenbaugh: $625k (535k)
Cooks: $500k (475k)
Gundy: $500k (430k)
Boulware: $435k (400k)
Kish: $400k (370k)
Simmons: $400k (350k)
Thibodeaux: $320k (260k)

— Eric Bailey (@EricBaileyTW) June 19, 2018

Shane Beamer, who is entering his first season, will make $435,000 annually.

Riley finally had the political goodwill to get rid of Mike. He never wanted him but couldn't get rid of him and Schmidt.

The puppet has some sack.

Yes, radley was a huge shitbag. I kept getting so pissed at the unpunished Sooner antics after the whistle. Our boys did great to not retaliate.

Edited by pacman

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They don’t need to be good. They just need to not be the worst.  Mike is very likely the worst offensive or defensive coordinator in all of college football.  

Bob still has quite the presence at OU...he’s constantly peeking in on operations, ‘hey guys, you aren’t going to do anything stupid like fire my retarded brother are you?’  Fuck off Bob.  

This is why I’m surprised they made the move public halfway through the season.  

3 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

People want to put it on Stoops, but they just didn’t have the players yesterday. There’s not a DC that can call a defense when your DL is getting man handled and the CBs are being abused by bigger WRs. 

Cant wait til WVU puts them to the sword so those methheads will understand the position they actually are in. 

Lol.  No.  Mike is that fucking bad.