Reports saying Mike Stoops has been let go

Hornius Emeritus

An announcer (ex-player or coach, don’t know who it was) on ESPNu radio this morning said he’s reviewed tape on the OU defense for the last several years and constantly struggled to find something good to say about it on the air. He said DB’s were always mis-aligned and not looking in the right places, the fundamental techniques were terrible, and generally that it was fairly well known it was a poorly coached defense.

21 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I heard a rumor that the new president at OU, Gallogly, responded to OU's version of BMDs getting in his ear by essentially ordering Riley to fire Stoops. This jibes with the news report I saw indicating that Gallogly was present at the meeting informing Stoops he was fired. Locker room trouble and donor/admin involvement in running the team over there sound like my kind of news. I hope it's true.

Makes sense.  The football team is far more central to OU's identity than the case at the vast majority of schools.  Failure on the field is cause for immediate top level involvement.

27 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I heard a rumor that the new president at OU, Gallogly, responded to OU's version of BMDs getting in his ear by essentially ordering Riley to fire Stoops. This jibes with the news report I saw indicating that Gallogly was present at the meeting informing Stoops he was fired. Locker room trouble and donor/admin involvement in running the team over there sound like my kind of news. I hope it's true.

Comments matches with Dean Blevins report.....

"Well I guess there was a lot of emotion in that locker room not only after the game, but at halftime when a player almost quit the team. It was an unusual amount of negative emotion. You can understand that because they played pitifully in the first half. 

I did learn tonight that Mike Stoops had offered to resign and Lincoln Riley didn't accept his resignation after the game, and then today Mike learned that he had been fired, so that was kind of a strange set of circumstances. 

The timing is curious, certainly from Mike Stoops' standpoint. Mid-season is rarely done, but at the same time there was such a huge uproar among the fandom. I don't know that all the players had bought in, and I think Lincoln Riley had brought that up to Mike. The rare mid-season fire, happened today."

Edited by LTtxfan

If Riley let the president dictate who's on the coaching staff, Riley is a little bitch.  If Stoops was fired over his objections, Riley should have turned in his letter of resignation the same day.  Nobody should be dictating coaching staff to the head coach.  The admin would have immediately backed down, of course, with Riley's resignation.  But I guess Riley is a pussy.

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This thought crossed my mind when they brought in Kendall for a play. Haven't heard anything about an equipment issue so how else do you explain putting the backup QB in? 

[Lincoln] No comment. [Bitchass Riley]

It's pretty obvious why he wouldn't explain why they put in Kendall for the next to last play. They don't want to let teams know what the plan was so they can use it again in the future if the scenario presents itself again. Why explain what they were setting up and eliminate that as a possible play call in the future...

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Has firing a coordinator mid-season ever resulted in long term success and/or improvement for a program? I know Robinson improved the defense after Mack fired Diaz but we also spent the next 6 years wandering in the desert.

Long term? Idk. Things change so fast, but Ruffin made tech better when he took over mid season. Tho they still got pasted in multiple games.

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Agreed. and it could impact staff relationships internally, as well as pissing off the Stoops bunch externally. Not to mention there are surely players who are going to be affected by it.  I hope it creates a lot of problems. 

I think the players are a-ok with him getting canned

Senior linebacker Curtis Bolton walked out of the stadium at halftime, according to a tweet from Fox 25 photojournalist Anthony West.

“Players stopped him before he got too far,” West tweeted as a follow-up. “He was yelling and upset about something.”

Bolton was not available for interviews after the game, but he tweeted two hours afterward: “I ain't ever quitting on this team, I think me being here for five years shows that. Leave all that rumor talk for the barbershop.”

Bolton was on the field with Oklahoma's defense to start the second half.

“We're gonna be frustrated when things aren't going our way,” sophomore corner Tre Brown said when asked about Bolton. “It just happens. I understand why Buzzy was frustrated. Everyone was frustrated, but we need to calm ourselves down in those situations.”

• Like 1

Comments matches with Dean Blevins report.....
"Well I guess there was a lot of emotion in that locker room not only after the game, but at halftime when a player almost quit the team. It was an unusual amount of negative emotion. You can understand that because they played pitifully in the first half. 
I did learn tonight that Mike Stoops had offered to resign and Lincoln Riley didn't accept his resignation after the game, and then today Mike learned that he had been fired, so that was kind of a strange set of circumstances. 
The timing is curious, certainly from Mike Stoops' standpoint. Mid-season is rarely done, but at the same time there was such a huge uproar among the fandom. I don't know that all the players had bought in, and I think Lincoln Riley had brought that up to Mike. The rare mid-season fire, happened today."
That's wonderful, absolutely wonderful!

It was Curtis Bolton. He was removed in late first/early second (iirc) and was screaming at a coach. Caleb Kelly came in and I think on his first play, blitzed and either sacked Sam or threw it away ugly. I can't remember if he came back in at some point in the second half.

edit: thanks texifornia.

Edited by Tired of Lurking

Not joking at all, here's how I would guess this went down, especially if the president was in the meeting and delivered the news that stoops was out:

B stoops: Lincoln, I'm going to step down and make you hc, but you must retain Mike for (defined period of time) and help him find a new gig if you want him gone

Riley: you got it

M stoops: I'm offering my resignation. My defenses are inexcusable

Riley: no way, Mike, you're family

OU pres: defense is bad and embarrassing the school, what are you doing to fix it? 

Riley: I need you to take the decision out of my hands

OU pres: Mike, you're fired

B Stoops: wtf Lincoln? 

Riley: I tried to keep him but it was out of my hands :*(

• Like 3

“We're gonna be frustrated when things aren't going our way,” sophomore corner Tre Brown said when asked about Bolton. “It just happens. I understand why Buzzy was frustrated. Everyone was frustrated, but we need to calm ourselves down in those situations.”

Sounds like a self-centered, entitled front-runner to me.  Exactly what you'd expect from the sort of mercenaries who would choose OU because they think they're always going to win and because it's supposed to be their ticket to fame and NFL riches.

4 minutes ago, NowThis said:

long time rumor with Sooners is the following -- Bob quit so someone else could fire his brother, then Bob comes back as HC and quietly hires someone else.

Resigning just to have someone else fire your brother so you can avoid doing it yourself would be a complete bitch move. 

So, probably true. 

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

If Riley let the president dictate who's on the coaching staff, Riley is a little bitch.  If Stoops was fired over his objections, Riley should have turned in his letter of resignation the same day.  Nobody should be dictating coaching staff to the head coach.  The admin would have immediately backed down, of course, with Riley's resignation.  But I guess Riley is a pussy.

Jason Garrett says hi!

8 minutes ago, NowThis said:

long time rumor with Sooners is the following -- Bob quit so someone else could fire his brother, then Bob comes back as HC and quietly hires someone else.

Not saying this is incorrect, but this doesn't make any sense to me.  If you didn't want to have to fire your brother, then why would you hire him in the first place?

At every place I've ever worked, having a direct family member as a subordinate would be considered a conflict of interest.

But yeah, this is 0U, so it sort of makes sense now.  WTF was I thinking, applying logic to this situation?

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Makes sense.  The football team is far more central to OU's identity than the case at the vast majority of schools.  Failure on the field is cause for immediate top level involvement.

Had an aunt and uncle in town this weekend from Virginia for the game -- they're both OU grads. My aunt revered David Boren but can't stand the new OU president. Based on some of the shit she was telling me on our way to brunch yesterday, this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

It's pretty obvious why he wouldn't explain why they put in Kendall for the next to last play. They don't want to let teams know what the plan was so they can use it again in the future if the scenario presents itself again. Why explain what they were setting up and eliminate that as a possible play call in the future...
They put the munchkin at wide reciever. He fast. Get him behind coverage have 2nd string qb lob to him munchkin runs for td OU wins. Were none of y'all paying attention? It's why Herman called a t.o.

3 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
2 hours ago, dad said:

They put the munchkin at wide reciever. He fast. Get him behind coverage have 2nd string qb lob to him munchkin runs for td OU wins. Were none of y'all paying attention? It's why Herman called a t.o.

Ummmm... yes I know what they did and why we called the time out. Maybe if you paid attention to the context of my response you would understand that I was explaining why Lincoln would respond with "no comment" when asked what he was doing in this play.

49 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Not saying this is incorrect, but this doesn't make any sense to me.  If you didn't want to have to fire your brother, then why would you hire him in the first place?

At every place I've ever worked, having a direct family member as a subordinate would be considered a conflict of interest.

But yeah, this is 0U, so it sort of makes sense now.  WTF was I thinking, applying logic to this situation?

Momma Stoops.  Hell, I don't know

Ummmm... yes I know what they did and why we called the time out. Maybe if you paid attention to the context of my response you would understand that I was explaining why Lincoln would respond with "no comment" when asked what he was doing in this play.

He responded with no comment because he is a pussy ass dick gobbling bitch. And no response doesnt do shit because it was BLATANTLY OBVIOUS what the dick gobbler was trying to do with the munchkin cryler. Duh.

Dick gobbler needs to scheme better to hide what he was trying to do. Clamming up afterwards like

Charlie McCarthy without Edgar Bergen's arm up his ass does not keep any secrets.

21 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
59 minutes ago, dad said:

He responded with no comment because he is a pussy ass dick gobbling bitch. And no response doesnt do shit because it was BLATANTLY OBVIOUS what the dick gobbler was trying to do with the munchkin cryler. Duh.

If it was blatantly obvious why would our coach use a time out to explain the obvious?

This thought crossed my mind when they brought in Kendall for a play. Haven't heard anything about an equipment issue so how else do you explain putting the backup QB in? 
[Lincoln] No comment. [bitchass Riley]
Ewok had to reinsert his tampon..

No biggie.

28 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

Dick gobbler needs to scheme better to hide what he was trying to do. Clamming up afterwards like

Charlie McCarthy without Edgar Bergen's arm up his ass does not keep any secrets.

Mortimer Snerd would have sung like a bird.  

10 minutes ago, dad said:

If it was blatantly obvious why would our coach use a time out to explain the obvious?

We have 9 seconds left to protect the lead and they clearly have something special dialed up.  We have a time out.  You use it no matter how obvious you think it is just to make sure there's no confusion.  It was the right call, and the play went nowhere. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

We have 9 seconds left to protect the lead and they clearly have something special dialed up.  We have a time out.  You use it no matter how obvious you think it is just to make sure there's no confusion.  It was the right call, and the play went nowhere. 

Of course, I completely agree. Yet this clown MrPlegm is making it seem like what they were going to do was so obvious that Riley should have just explained what they were trying to do in the press conference because there's no point in attempting to hide the details for future use.

11 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

It seems like a lot of Sooners are whistling past the graveyard on their boards.  I've even seen comments to the effect that the bye week should give the Grimace time to install new and magically better schemes.

Grimace....lol

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, dad said:

Of course, I completely agree. Yet this clown MrPlegm is making it seem like what they were going to do was so obvious that Riley should have just explained what they were trying to do in the press conference because there's no point in attempting to hide the details for future use.

It's not surprising he wouldn't explain it, and it was dumb for the reporter to even ask as though he would. 

But he was still a little bitch about his answer. 

19 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Could have been some sort of double pass, or could have been more like what usc did to us last year, where they let the defense get all spread out and deep and then toss it to Murray and see if he can use his speed and blockers to run it in. 

The TO reminds everyone to play their zone correctly so that throwbacks or other things don’t punish overpursuit.