LSU is going in dry

texifornia

6 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Got bored this morning and watched this through. I think Daniels starts but Nussmeier may take hold of the job if they are losing early. Kelly is not my favorite human but I think he will have this train rolling by the end of the year and will be a tough out if he is able to hold onto Nussmeier after this year. 

JD PicKell:  “I’ve told you before, I think Myles Brennan is the safest pick to start game one … but I don’t know that he’s the same guy who finishes the year at LSU,” PicKell said. “Full transparency – I think there’s a really good chance you see all three of these guys play.”

https://www.on3.com/college/lsu-tigers/news/jd-pickell-predicts-outcome-of-lsu-quarterback-competition-garrett-nussmeier-jayden-daniels-myles-brennan/

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

JD PicKell:  “I’ve told you before, I think Myles Brennan is the safest pick to start game one … but I don’t know that he’s the same guy who finishes the year at LSU,” PicKell said. “Full transparency – I think there’s a really good chance you see all three of these guys play.”

https://www.on3.com/college/lsu-tigers/news/jd-pickell-predicts-outcome-of-lsu-quarterback-competition-garrett-nussmeier-jayden-daniels-myles-brennan/

Thanks for sharing. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. They have to much talent to not win 8 games in my opinion. Unless he royally screws up the starting qb decision from the start they will be a tough out after week 3

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Thanks for sharing. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. They have to much talent to not win 8 games in my opinion. Unless he royally screws up the starting qb decision from the start they will be a tough out after week 3

3 QBs that could all start is a good problem to have for "geaux tigers"

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap. Rather than play for Brian Kelly, QB Myles Brennan decided to just quite football entirely.

https://athlonsports.com/.amp/college-football/brian-kelly-reacts-to-lsu-quarterbacks-stunning-retirement#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16606145324214&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Retired.  At least Texas isn't the only program taking hot shots to the testicles. 

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Holy crap. Rather than play for Brian Kelly, QB Myles Brennan decided to just quite football entirely.

https://athlonsports.com/.amp/college-football/brian-kelly-reacts-to-lsu-quarterbacks-stunning-retirement#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16606145324214&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Retired.  At least Texas isn't the only program taking hot shots to the testicles. 

He was gonna be 3rd string in his 6th year. Retiring now is a non factor for Kelly or LSU 

There are a lot of conflicting reports about whether Brennan gets to keep his NIL deals. Of course,  NIL deals cannot be performance based, and so it likely will one down to the wording of his various contracts.

I think that we will see a few years of corporate NIL bonanza and then companies  will back off and realize that at the college level they are spending a lot of money for very little and a good chance of zero.  Collectives of fans and boosters are the future except in rare instances.

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think that we will see a few years of corporate NIL bonanza and then companies  will back off and realize that at the college level they are spending a lot of money for very little and a good chance of zero.  Collectives of fans and boosters are the future except in rare instances.

I think that's probably true for football players in the specific context of enticing players to a specific school/location.

But I think we've only scratched the surface on how NIL will benefit, say,  attractive female athletes like gymnasts and volleyball players, who in many cases already had enormous social media followings but due to the antiquated and draconian NCAA rules, were unable to capitalize on their established social media presence in the same way their non-athlete Insta peers were.

52 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I think that's probably true for football players in the specific context of enticing players to a specific school/location.

But I think we've only scratched the surface on how NIL will benefit, say,  attractive female athletes like gymnasts and volleyball players, who in many cases already had enormous social media followings but due to the antiquated and draconian NCAA rules, were unable to capitalize on their established social media presence in the same way their non-athlete Insta peers were.

I think that this is absolutely true and I don’t envy the coaches trying to hold a locker room together in a non-revenue sport where athlete income is not only not related to performance, it’s very obviously only related to physical attractiveness.  

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Tigers made a huge mistake hiring Kelly.  

Too soon to say, the guy is proven at multiple stops. I have a hard time seeing him fail at LSU. It's a culture change, and he has to get his team to do things his way for him to lead them the way he knows how.

I imagine they'll see a similar churning of the roster like we had. If he gets things going like he generally did at ND, he'll have LSU more consistently good which is a pretty dangerous thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/17/2022 at 2:35 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

I think that this is absolutely true and I don’t envy the coaches trying to hold a locker room together in a non-revenue sport where athlete income is not only not related to performance, it’s very obviously only related to physical attractiveness.  

Hot chicks get more shit; college is all about learning lessons for life…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

What did Brian Kelly really accomplish at ND though?

(besides killing a video guy)

He’s a good coach in the wrong situation. I don’t see his coaching style or the Masshole personality translating well to the SEC/LSU. At all. 

He’ll be gone by 2025 imo. Feels like more of a pac 12 or big 10 guy.

Edited by Loop 1604

LSU coach Brian Kelly confirmed that sophomore defensive tackle Maason Smith will be out for the remainder of the season with a left ACL tear on Tuesday.

Smith appeared injured after celebrating a play during the first defensive drive against Florida State on Sunday. He was seen using crutches on the sideline for the remainder of the game. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s been a longggg time but I remember caring almost this much.

I walked out of the Cotton Bowl after the 14-3 game in 2001 with my buddy, listening to all of the OU chants on the walk towards the car. At some point with all of the stimulation, I went full on Tony Montana seeing red mode and tore my shirt off of my body and then tore it into shreds while gutterly moaning furiously as a crowd looked on. I am thankful for the lack of social media in 2001. That same year, I vomited coming out of the Cowboys' stadium after the CU title game. I was completely healthy and sober. 

I don't know if I was "smash the tv at a party" involved with the program, but I wasn't far off. It has been a long fucking time, man. I'd love to have reason to believe that we're headed back towards that trend, but when I start thinking about it, I just get tired and sad.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I walked out of the Cotton Bowl after the 14-3 game in 2001 with my buddy, listening to all of the OU chants on the walk towards the car. At some point with all of the stimulation, I went full on Tony Montana seeing red mode and tore my shirt off of my body and then tore it into shreds while gutterly moaning furiously as a crowd looked on. I am thankful for the lack of social media in 2001. That same year, I vomited coming out of the Cowboys' stadium after the CU title game. I was completely healthy and sober. 

I don't know if I was "smash the tv at a party" involved with the program, but I wasn't far off. It has been a long fucking time, man. I'd love to have reason to believe that we're headed back towards that trend, but when I start thinking about it, I just get tired and sad.

*gutturally.

Did you have a manbun back then?

I yelled so hard at the Texas-Arkansas stollin' Nolan basketball game, that I started experiencing severe chest pains and had to lie down across a couple of seats.  I thought I'd given myself a heart attack, but as it turns out I just yelled my ribs out of place.  It hurt like hell.

Also, fuck strollin' Nolan.

• Hook 'Em 2

I cried uncontrollably when we lost to Ohio State at DKR Colt’s freshman year. I was at home and it got to me that we had not lost in a good while. And I was very, very, super drunk. My wife tried to comfort me and told her to fuck right off because she didn’t feel my pain. 

No regrets really. I feel that was appropriate. 

None of us could have anticipated the pain to come. Maybe I was crying for the future?

1 minute ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I cried uncontrollably when we lost to Ohio State at DKR Colt’s freshman year. I was at home and it got to me that we had not lost in a good while. And I was very, very, super drunk. My wife tried to comfort me and told her to fuck right off because she didn’t feel my pain. 

No regrets really. I feel that was appropriate. 

None of us could have anticipated the pain to come. Maybe I was crying for the future?

life suicide GIF by David

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I cried uncontrollably when we lost to Ohio State at DKR Colt’s freshman year. I was at home and it got to me that we had not lost in a good while. And I was very, very, super drunk. My wife tried to comfort me and told her to fuck right off because she didn’t feel my pain

Jesus Christ, it's sports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

What did Brian Kelly really accomplish at ND though?

(besides killing a video guy)

He’s a good coach in the wrong situation. I don’t see his coaching style or the Masshole personality translating well to the SEC/LSU. At all. 

He’ll be gone by 2025 imo. Feels like more of a pac 12 or big 10 guy.

Nothing... His Norte Dame teams basically got auto bids four team field because they are the perpetual media darling that only had to beat two to three  major opponents on their schedule and they were in.   Usually Michigan, Stanford, or USC.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe you should try posting that promised mudhole post for Bama and see what happens. 

Oh come on. We're sharing here. And I can say, having read your takes on the women's basketball and volleyball threads, that you're not above any of this, sir.

I've never cried over a game.

Or told my spouse to fuck off because they tried to console me after a loss.

Losing hurts, but come on, *we* didn't lose - they did. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dude, they've literally done studies on this stuff, particularly in regard to CFB and the psychology of the fan. As we become a more secular society, Americans seek transcendence in ways that were previously discovered and felt largely within the confines of religious experiences. Finding something that is, in fact, bigger than your own person makes you feel like part of a cosmically larger and more important thing, and that is a human need as old as the non-lizard parts of our brains. College football, quite literally for many fans, has become a deeply emotionally "we" thing for them that they absolutely own and feel a part of, collectively. That doesn't mean crying for you or me, but it does for others. 

If you think you are above the "we" notion, I'd argue that your post count here and interest level in UT athletics overall betray that notion. And there's nothing wrong with it. Just be real about it. This is all very legitimately not something that can be trivialized for millions of people in this country, including many here. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Nothing... His Norte Dame teams basically got auto bids four team field because they are the perpetual media darling that only had to beat two to three  major opponents on their schedule and they were in.   Usually Michigan, Stanford, or USC.

that's how we are doing it? i don't like the guy, but come one.

coaches before him and winning % going back to 59

• Joe Kuharich 42.5
  • 6Terry Brennan 64.0%
  • Ara Parseghian 83.6%
  • Dan Devine 76.4%
  • Gerry Faust 53.5%
  • Lou Holtz 76.5% 86-96
  • Bob Davie 58.3% 97-01
  • Tyrone Willingham 58.3% 02-04
  • Charlie Weis 56.5% 05-09
  • Brian Kelly 73.1% 10-21

so the best coach they have had since Holtz left in 96? come on. he isn't some trash ass coach. i don't think he is great but he isn't nothing. did he have an easier path to the CFP? yes. but he at navigated that path compared to the guys they had from 97-09.

It was October 7th in the year 2000.  The morning started like any other OU game day, screwdriver/bloody mary bar set up at friends loft and everyone either nursing a killer hangover or keeping the train rolling from the night before.  I was the latter.

It was cold.

It was rainy.

And after Quentin Griffin scored what seemed like his 10th TD, I heaved my bourbon drink from our endzone seats to the field and walked out and swore off the game in person for good. 

I didn't make good on it as I made it back in 2009 a 16-13 W for the good guys.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maybe you should try posting that promised mudhole post for Bama and see what happens. 

I wrote something at lunch and then threw in the trash bin. I liked the write-up, but it didn't fit the mudhole ethos. Mudholes are usually appropriate when we realistically can or should win a game and everyone on the boards is gnashing their teeth. It's hard to muster an honest view that Texas has any reason to win on Saturday, so shaming a reader into manning up on their outlook for the game is disingenuous. I don't know, maybe I'll take another crack at it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jesus dude. Everybody is ok here. No animals, women or children were harmed in the making of this movie. 

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wrote something at lunch and then threw in the trash bin. I liked the write-up, but it didn't fit the mudhole ethos. Mudholes are usually appropriate when we realistically can or should win a game and everyone on the boards is gnashing their teeth. It's hard to muster an honest view that Texas has any reason to win on Saturday, so shaming a reader into manning up on their outlook for the game is disingenuous. I don't know, maybe I'll take another crack at it. 

Or just post what you got. Don’t be the JRR Martin of this board sir I need to know what to think. It’s dangerous when I have to do it on my own. 

• Haha 3