What was your first concert and how old were you...

BigDHornfan

First concert (with parents):  The Jacksons/Michael Jackson Victory Tour, Astrodome, Houston, Texas (1985).

First concert (with friends):  The Rolling Stones Steel Wheels Tour, Astrodome (1989).

Friend with good connections got us tickets to the Stones.  We were 11th Row Center.  Paid $32.

• Like 1

The Police. I guess I was 19. Pal pulled up in the parking lot of our student apartment "Hey y'all wanna come see the Police?", we were all "Who the hell are The Police?"

He went "Roxxxxxxxanne..."

Us "Oh those guys. How much?"

"Like, 5 dollars."

And it was. Bought the ticket at the theater, I got this xeroxed piece of paper with their faces on it and "105" marked on it in red ink.

Pretty good concert. Sting sang all these songs we'd never heard that would end up as mega-hits.

• Like 1

U2, Joshua Tree tour, 1987. I was 15.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/1987/the-omni-atlanta-ga-1bd6f9b8.html

Where the Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
Trip Through Your Wires
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (with "Exodus" snippet)
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
People Get Ready (The Impressions cover)
Bad (with "Ruby Tuesday" and " Sympathy for the Devil" snippet)
Out of Control
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Exit (with "Riders on the Storm" and Van Morrison's "Gloria" snippets)
In God's Country
Pride (In the Name of Love)

Encore:
With or Without You
New Year's Day
40 (with "Help!" snippet)

I never saw them again. Didn't need to.

• Like 2

First concert was Arlo Guthrie in 1973. I was 13. First rock concert was Bachman-Turner Overdrive in 1974, just as Takin' Care of Business was on the charts. After that I was off to the races, as many shows as I could possibly go to.

Edited by trubbaman
  • Like 1

saw the following at southern star amphitheater (astroworld) when i was in my early teens

• adam ant
  • depeche mode
  • dire straits
  • morrissey
  • new order
  • power station
  • simple minds
  • the cure
  • weird al

damn! they had some great shows there...many more that i missed.

Do the concerts at the HSLR count?  If so who knows.  Probably some tired country act in the late 70's with the parents when I was 9 or 10.  Anne Murray?  Crystal Gayle?  First solo concert was Billy Idol at Astroworld before it was called Southern Star.  And the first Stadium concert was U2 The Joshua Tree in 1987 at The Summit.

Edited by twosheds

Sammy Hagar / Boston at the Tarrant County Convention Center 1978. Went last minute with no tickets. Found a parking spot right by the door and had tickets before we got out of the pickup. I love it when a plan comes together.

• Like 2

.38 Special at Astroworld. Doesn't really count because me and my buddies were only there to ride rollercoasters.

First REAL concert: ZZ Top at the Summit in November 1994. I was 13.

Jackyl opened for them and played a song called "She Loves My Cock." The lead singer also used a chainsaw to carve out the word "TEXAS" into a barstool during a song called "Lumberjack." ZZ Top had burlesque showgirls dancing on stage on nearly every song. There was a black dude in front of us dancing and smoking weed the whole time in a snakeskin vest. He put on a pair of sunglasses during "Cheap Sunglasses."

This was me:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Guy down the street from me was my age but had two brothers who were late teens.  One was fresh from a short trip to county, other had actually done some short time.  Both got out the same week in 1979.  They were OK dudes - just pot-selling longhaired rednecks.  

To celebrate they said they were going to see KISS.  Well, my buddy and I really wanted to go.  They didn't believe we'd do it and it became sort of a dare thing.

So we ended up telling my parents we were going to the movies and then to spend the night.  And they took us to the concert.

John Cougar opened.

I was 9. It blew my mind.

To this day, I still have no idea why those to guys did that other than to see if I would go.

They both ended up in Hunstville FWIW.

11 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Pink Floyd at the Alamodome in 1994. I was 17. 

I was at this show too. The Alamodome may have been the worst concert venue I’ve ever been to. Remember when one of their huge pig balloons fell?

Edited by Hate

My first real concert was the Def Leppard Hysteria tour in Kansas City when I was 17. We were in Lawrence for the AAU Junior Olympics and met some local chicks who had tickets. We snuck away later that night with them, bought tickets from a scalper, saw the show.  Got to the hotel at around 2am and rawdogged the girls before never seeing them again.  If you were born in Lawrence in the spring of '91, your mom loves hair metal, and you don't know your dad, hi.

Edited by CooterBrown

Going without my parents.  Def Leppard with Tesla as an opening act in the Summit in Houston.  1986 maybe.  ! was 15.

Going with parents Kenny Rogers at the Summit.  In the round, with an octagon stage.

Now that I think about it, Def Leppard was in the round as well.  mind blown

• Like 1