8-0. Just like Alabama.

Beau Vine

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/20/colorado-school-of-mines-football-kiszla

Kiszla: Colorado School of Mines is 8-0. Just like Alabama. Here’s how playing football for Orediggers is better.

GOLDEN — To find the beauty of playing football at Colorado School of Mines, where calculus will kick a player’s butt harder than the most vicious pancake block, you’ve got to keep your head on a swivel. But the magic’s there, right in front of your eyes, to be discovered on the back of linebacker Logan Bock’s helmet.

It’s all about the decal.

Bock made the play of the game for the only undefeated college football team in our state, sacking Azusa Pacific quarterback Tyrone Williams on fourth down in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter, with Mines clinging to an eight-point lead.

But after this 42-27 victory moved the Orediggers one step closer to their dreams of a national championship, and players had sucked all the oxygen out of the locker room by singing the fight song so fast and furiously it rattled the doors, Bock emerged and cradled his most cherished football possession in his hands.

“It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” Bock told me Saturday, still wearing his full uniform, as he stood under the bleachers at Marv Kay Stadium.

Tucked safely in the crook of Bock’s right arm was his helmet. On the back was a tiny sticker, adorned with a miniature sledge hammer, a pick ax and a blazing candle. Mining tools. Small red and white letters on the decal humbly announced his proudest achievement: School of Mines Graduated.

“I had to take Calc 2 twice,” Bock confessed.

The Orediggers, in first place of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, play their home games 1,260 miles away from Tuscaloosa, Ala, and the heart of SEC Country. Mines is 8-0. Just like Alabama, which trounced Tennessee 58-21 on Saturday in front of nearly 100,000 awed spectators.

Other than undefeated, Mines has almost nothing in common with the ’Bama football program. And, truth be told, that’s a large part of the beauty of football at the Division II level.

Advertisement
Scroll to continue with content

“This is college football in its purest form you’ll find. Our players have their Friday night dinner before the game, and they don’t want to leave, because they love it and love each other,” said 62-year-old Mines coach Gregg Brandon, entering his fourth decade in this crazy business, where in the past he has worked alongside Urban Meyer. Brandon has seen the bright lights. He likes the fresh air of Golden.

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, as close to a football factory as you’ll find in America. They call football players who get through Mines good at life.

“I learned him to do all this stuff,” said Jim Bock, wrapping his son in a big bear hug in front of the stadium, with Logan still wearing his No. 97 and all his athletic  gear.

But want some honesty?

“That’s all a lie,” the proud father quietly admitted. “Logan deserves all the credit.”

Bock is a captain for the Orediggers and a defensive stalwart on a team whose high-octane offense is built to shatter every record in the book and blow every fuse on the scoreboard.  But it took him nearly six years to get to this point. And it wasn’t easy.

“When I was a little kid, I wanted to play in the NFL,” said Bock, who grew up in Boulder, screaming at the TV on alongside Regina, the mom that gave him an incurable case of Broncos fever. “But here at Mines, it changes your perspective. This place is kind of weird that way. Now I celebrate every moment and every little victory, instead of far-destination goals.”

Prior to 2018, Bock was never a full-time starter. While running downfield untouched during the season opener two years ago, Bock shredded ligaments in his right knee and could’ve easily given up the sport by the time he hobbled to the sideline.

“Yeah, I could’ve gone off to work and spent time behind a desk. But I’ve had more special moments in football with this team than I could’ve ever hoped. These are moments I’ll remember for the rest of my life. That’s why I came back. I can get to the job later. The desk can wait,” said Bock, whose victory-clinching sack against Azusa Pacific was celebrated by as much noise as the 2,163 fans in the stands could possibly make.

The stadium the Orediggers call home sits hard by the foothills. The beauty of playing football for Mines is rugged. Players like Bock, who refused to quit, on the field or in the classroom, emerge with an undergrad degree in mechanical engineering, as well as teammates who will be be friends for life.

And a decal affixed to the back of the helmet, worn proudly, like a badge of honor.

“This school will knock you off your feet. It’s the community of the team that pulls you through,” said Bock, now working on a masters in engineering management.

He paused for a second, and offered one more confession: “When they finally kick me out of the door of this place next year, I’m going to be upset.”

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

There is a contingent on here that thinks school of mines should be in the playoff along with UCF and USF because they are undefeated

You are correct. They will be in the playoff. The playoff in their division of football. If their division left them out that would idiotic...the sort of idiocy you endorse.

• Like 5

You are correct. They will be in the playoff. The playoff in their division of football. If their division left them out that would idiotic...the sort of idiocy you endorse.

The idiocy I endorse is that UCF AND USF don’t deserve to be in the four team playoff because they don’t play anybody. You have to beat big conference ranked teams to be considered, you can’t skip along through a conference USA schedule and deserve to be in over a one loss conference champ from the sec,big12 or b10 etc...

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

There is a contingent on here that thinks school of mines should be in the playoff along with UCF and USF because they are undefeated

Correct.  It beats the living fuck outta people picking favorites and saying “every game matters” when it in absolute fact does not.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Look, I don't know how many people have to tell you this. If Colorado School of Mines goes undefeated then they absolutely belong in the national championship playoff. Period.

As someone who went to a DII school, I can tell you that when you go unbeaten, you not only qualify, but you go to the front of the fucking line in terms of seeding. If you're undefeated, the only way you don't get the first round bye is if there's another unbeaten team in your region (certainly possible). And even if that does happen, you're almost certainly going to at least host that Round 1 game. DII does not live in the Land of Make Believe and Pretend that the mileslongs of the world do.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

That’s just insane, so USF and Mines should be in over a one loss Clemson, Michigan, Georgia, LSU, OSU, ND? Gotcha

Insanity is also INCLUDING a team that did not win its conference, with only 4 berths available. It’s a sick fucking joke and people want to play like it doesn’t matter.

There should be 8 berths, if not 16.

The byes before big games are bullshit.

So are the November cupcakes.

Edited by slorch

Insanity is also INCLUDING a team that did not win its conference, with only 4 berths available. It’s a sick fucking joke and people want to play like it doesn’t matter.
There should be 8 berths, if not 16.

I would like to see 8 but not 16, no one from the 16th spot is ever going to win it all. It’s like thinking the 64th seed is ever going to win the basketball tourney when the lowest ranked team to ever win all was Villanova in 1985 when they were the 8th seed.

If you start letting teams like USF and UCF get in the final four with their terrible schedules then no major school is ever going to schedule a hard non conference game again.

SOS is extremely important is getting the best four teams to battle for it all. Just because a team is unbeaten that doesn’t mean they should be in the final four. And if your saying take the human element out then how else are ever going to rank teams?

If you use just computers well guess what, one of the main criteria in their program is sos.

I liked the BCS formula better than the bullshit they do now.   It needs more berths if it is going to be so subjective.

5 Conference titlists and 3 at large.   No more than 2 from any single conference.

13 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I would like to see 8 but not 16, no one from the 16th spot is ever going to win it all. It’s like thinking the 64th seed is ever going to win the basketball tourney when the lowest ranked team to ever win all was Villanova in 1985 when they were the 8th seed.

If you start letting teams like USF and UCF get in the final four with their terrible schedules then no major school is ever going to schedule a hard non conference game again.

SOS is extremely important is getting the best four teams to battle for it all. Just because a team is unbeaten that doesn’t mean they should be in the final four. And if your saying take the human element out then how else are ever going to rank teams?

If you use just computers well guess what, one of the main criteria in their program is sos.

I don't like 8 but I think 6 is appropriate:  5 conference champions and 1 at large with the top 2 having a first playoff bye.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
6 minutes ago, G650 said:
Man, this thread delivers. Colorado School of Mine to the playoffs!!!

Christ.

Pretty sure Jesus got the joke. Hint: they are in Division II. You know, one of those divisions that has a real playoff. So yes, if they go undefeated they should be in the national championship playoff.

Yeah, I got the joke as well.

25 minutes ago, Hugh G. Rection said:

I don't like 8 but I think 6 is appropriate:  5 conference champions and 1 at large with the top 2 having a first playoff bye.

So every freaking year 2 SEC schools.

f that.

Still too much room for ‘favorites’ and trumped up bullshit with the limited spots.

I have no idea why people think less is more. Even baseball eventually figured it out...

The idiocy I endorse is that UCF AND USF don’t deserve to be in the four team playoff because they don’t play anybody. You have to beat big conference ranked teams to be considered, you can’t skip along through a conference USA schedule and deserve to be in over a one loss conference champ from the sec,big12 or b10 etc...
Four team playoff isnt.

I actually liked the old pre BCS bowl system better where #1 and #2 never played each other and the whole off season was spent arguing about it.  But if we have to have a playoff, I vote for 5 teams.  #1 plays #5, #2 Plays #4 and #3 has a bye.  Then reseed them and #1 plays #3 and #2 has a bye.  Have all the games be played at the home filed of the highest ranking G5 team so they can see what they're missing.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

4 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Yep. And none of the computer rankings I could find puts UCF anywhere near the top 4. In fact, the Sagarin ratings have them all the way down at 28th right now. The strength of your opponents matters.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, slorch said:

I liked the BCS formula better than the bullshit they do now.   It needs more berths if it is going to be so subjective.

5 Conference titlists and 3 at large.   No more than 2 from any single conference. 

2008 would like a word with you. Unless you believe Texas Tech should have been left out in that scenario, because we all know Texas and OU would not have been left out.

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

2008 would like a word with you. Unless you believe Texas Tech should have been left out in that scenario, because we all know Texas and OU would not have been left out.

Idgaf about Tech with regard to this discussion. It’s about ending cronyism and bullshit that plagues the P/O team selection process. 

Last year’s spat in the face of Conference Championships and CCGs. One year theymatter- if you only had a Big XII CCG, TCU and Baylor wouldn’t have gotten fucked, and next year they don’t- well everyone knows Alabama didn’t really lose that SECSECSEC game...

What a fucking abortion. 

I think we should do 6. The 5 major conference champions are in. The last spot goes to the highest ranked between all the other conference champions and the independents. Don't win your conference GTFO. Or exclude the independents, if Notre Dame wants to participate they can join a conference. Seeding is determined by rank, and the top 2 teams get a first round bye.

as long as p5 schools play fcs teams, i don't think any school is out of range of discussion for the playoffs

if p5 continues to manipulate and play bs teams, then schools like ucf should be in the discussion

it's no more bullshit than SEC playing fcs in November.

Edited by pacman
  • Fuck You 1

as long as p5 schools play fcs teams, i don't think any school is out of range of discussion for the playoffs

if p5 continues to manipulate and play bs teams, then schools like ucf should be in the discussion

it's no more bullshit than SEC playing fcs in November.

Again, if an fcs school plays all fcs opponents then they shouldn’t be included in any kind of p5 playoff, that’s just stupid