2019 ATH Peyton Powell

texifornia

Due to the new Redshirt/Transfer Rules....... I think going forward Herman will probably have to add at least 1-2 Athletes each year that in a pinch could take snaps as a QB while also having the flexibility for other positions like WR/RB/DB.  

Nebraska & Clemson are examples this year where due to transfers their QB depth was really hurt and a walk on and starting WR became backup QBs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an example of this type of Athlete that just committed to the Longhorns......

"Texas has landed one of the more intriguing prospects in the state. Four-star Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell shut down his recruitment and gave the Longhorns a verbal pledge.

Powell plays quarterback for Odessa Permian and will have an opportunity to compete under center. Texas originally offered him as a wide receiver, and he also has the potential to transition to defensive back.  At 6-foot-2, 182 pounds, Powell is ranked as the No. 19 athlete in the country and No. 42 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite."

Edited by LTtxfan

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, futureman said:

why?  sounds like he’s an elite athlete with great size.  terrible loss, terrible blow to herman. 

Yeah seems like if he was all in, might be a great add.  But it’s not one of our most needed positions and kinda flakey / not communicating about visits.  Could be wrong but I doubt he’s going to be that critical in the long run.

Edited by Richter

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Don't care. He never would have played a down at Texas. He'll at least see the field at Baylor 

Ehhh, he's a good athlete who could have pushed for snaps at WR or DB. It's the need to play QB and the sneaky trip to Baylor that caused the split.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Ehhh, he's a good athlete who could have pushed for snaps at WR or DB. It's the need to play QB and the sneaky trip to Baylor that caused the split.

He's a fast guy who doesn't scream must take. I wasn't thrilled when he committed, and I couldn't care less that he's gone. We have bigger needs than some project taking up a scholly for years deciding what he wants to play, and what he's good at. There are a dime a dozen kids like him every year. I mean hell, we have our second Cecil Cherry quit on this team at a position of need. This is why Powell means little to me. 

• 2 weeks later...