Bird Box - Sandra Bullock, Sarah Paulson, John Malkovich, Netflix, Sci-fi, Horror

atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, Zombie said:

Seems like a knock off of A Quiet Place. No seeing instead of no talking. I guess we'll see if it's any good. 

Bird Box as a book was written in 2008 and published in 2014 (well before Quiet Place).

And Emily Blunt was supposedly offered Bullock’s role, but turned it down for AQP.

• 2 months later...
Watching this right now.  Kinda freaking me out.

Yep me too. Lovely thing to see right before bed. Get the feeling it’s going to end up like Blair Witch where huge intensity defines it without really showing anything...not that there’s anything wrong with that.

1 minute ago, futureman said:

when I peruse netflix I’m looking for cinematic mastery, especially if it’s oscar worthy.  this is not that.  pass. 

Before watching anything on any streaming service I google the title followed by the phrase "absolute fucking cinematic mastery".

If I can't find a review that captures that verbatim then I don't watch it. 

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2019 at 5:00 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

Is this any good?  It seems incredibly popular but the reviews were meh at best.  Trailer looks a little silly.

Trailer didn't make much sense.

Actual movie was a wild fucking ride.  Really suspenseful in parts.  Was more engaging from start to finish than A Quiet Place.

Good premise that AQP but I found it campy as fuck, with way larger plot holes. If that was a theatrical release, with some suggesting (in other thread) as finalists for movie of the year, then this deserves no less.

Ending was a slight fizzle but again this was a straight to service release.  (Albeit pricey at 19M budget)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Average movie that was way over hyped and over promoted.

Netflix had to only set the bar high enough to please a populace that produces enough demand to keep shows like “Big Brother, The Bachelor, The Voice and Dancing with the Stars” on the air for a decade.

16 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Trailer didn't make much sense.

Actual movie was a wild fucking ride.  Really suspenseful in parts.  Was more engaging from start to finish than A Quiet Place.

Good premise that AQP but I found it campy as fuck, with way larger plot holes. If that was a theatrical release, with some suggesting (in other thread) as finalists for movie of the year, then this deserves no less.

Ending was a slight fizzle but again this was a straight to service release.  (Albeit pricey at 19M budget)

Ok, I guess I will watch.  Good for my 13 year old kids or too much?

On 1/3/2019 at 11:04 AM, Fozzz said:

What was even the point of the birds?  They squawk when the creatures are around - so fucking what?

Seriously.  It's like those dipshits who would take canaries with them into coal mines back in the day.  So they detect dangerous gasses.  And ... ?  So pointless.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Ok, I guess I will watch.  Good for my 13 year old kids or too much?

theres some blood and etc but not pure gore-gore.  the horror is psychological, but its not direct as to be traumatizing.  i mean, they might be afraid of dark empty spaces for a while but i wouldnt call it a Rated R movie. 

i think they will like

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TriStone said:

Seriously.  It's like those dipshits who would take canaries with them into coal mines back in the day.  So they detect dangerous gasses.  And ... ?  So pointless.

Name one time in the movie where the birds actually helped. The only time I can think of is when they helped guide them to the school for the blind, which had nothing to do with the monsters. Hell, it was apparent when the monsters were near given the voices they would begin hearing. 

3 hours ago, TriStone said:

Well, yeah but think about how heroically all those thousands of people and birds that died, so we could have a pointless metaphorical allusion that I personally use sometimes as often as twice a year.  That seems worth the senseless death, doesn't it?  And to think, coal is making a comeback baby!  

9 hours ago, TriStone said:

Dude, I'm agreeing with you.  Name one time when the canaries actually helped.  Hell, it was apparent when carbon monoxide levels were high given the other miners would begin keeling over.

Pretty sure the idea was that the birds were more sensitive to the bad stuff and died first, warning the miners to GTFO.

the birds helped with the freezer guy. they sensed he was bad but they still opened the freezer door anyways.

old bald guy got the shaft too many times. lost his wife,  lost his guns more than once, got locked in the garage for being right, didnt want olivia and the crazy in his house but the rest ignored him, died from a scissor to the chest, sued his neighbor for a stupid house project he had to look at.

and sandra lives happily ever after. i wonder what happened to the couple who took off in the jeep. the ending was underwhelming. i was expecting a psych ward and all 3 people to die. not that

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

• 2 weeks later...

It didn’t work for me. I was willing to accept the premise, as crazy as it was, but it would have been pretty much impossible to do some of the things they did with no sight. Driving to the grocery store was eye-rolly.

And yes I was reminded of The Happening too. Very similar premise, plus a sprinkling of A Quiet Place’s gimmick. Definitely felt like one of M Night Shyamalan’s less effective works.

Also, it is unfair to claim Sarah Paulson as the second leading actor.  She was barely in it.  And she sucked in it.  And she can't act in real life.  So there's that.  She's the white Kerry Washington.  Pursed lips, constant shock, and a horrid attempt at the terse dialogue fulfillment of Hemingway is no way to go through life sweetheart...