The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

Don’t start with 3.  Demand 5 debates.  Raise hell at the refusal, but accept 3 as a compromise.  Light the oratory flamethrower if the number of proposed debates gets to be 1.  When the real number is 0, rewind the cowardice for the media to detail this rejected prior 5-3-1 debate proposal. Then. . . Relentlessly bitch-shame Abbot for being as impotent as an ERCOT board member afraid to tell us Texans where he stands on the issues (let the word “stands” come out like it’s drenched in Bourbon).  Then, as almost an afterthought, clarify your statement on using the word “impotent” - you are not accusing him of having a permanently flaccid penis unable to satisfy the thirsty First Lady of Texas, just that he has displayed 8 years of rudderless leadership.   

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, RatJuul said:

An impossible movie to make, IMO, as it is the greatest work of fiction in the Western canon and actors don't have the skills to translate such depth and transcendence. IMO.

There is a reason why BM and A Confederacy of Dunces have never been made.

Fair. Yet the most memorable parts of Meridian are events. The poetry entices the reader to endure those events. To me, the judge scraping petroglyphs from the rock is not dissimilar to the deep right’s efforts to scrape the constitution, and division of power, from memory.

Edited to say the landscape of the southwest, the border region, Northern Mexico, is as beguiling as anyone’s thoughts. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
More
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

Don’t start with 3.  Demand 5 debates.  Raise hell at the refusal, but accept 3 as a compromise.  Light the oratory flamethrower if the number of proposed debates gets to be 1.  When the real number is 0, rewind the cowardice for the media to detail this rejected prior 5-3-1 debate proposal. 

Tell me you're car shopping without telling me you're car shopping

• Rage+1 1

Re: debates. It's all about how close the race is. Abbott has no incentive to debate if he's leading comfortably in the polls (and he is - at least in the most recent ones). Beto is struggling to even pull 40% in the most recent polls. 

I'm betting there won't be any debates unless something big changes. 

5 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

except that now they aren't even doing that. 

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Re: debates. It's all about how close the race is. Abbott has no incentive to debate if he's leading comfortably in the polls (and he is - at least in the most recent ones). Beto is struggling to even pull 40% in the most recent polls. 

I'm betting there won't be any debates unless something big changes. 

I feel 99.9% certain that Abbott will not debate Beto under any circumstances, even if Abbott is behind in the polls.

Abbott does not need the optics of a younger guy energetically walking around on stage, angrily challenging Abbott over every little thing, and getting his followers fired up.

The photos from Uvalde sealed the deal on debates.  Abbott didn't know how to react and just tried to shrink down in his chair and pretend like Beto wasn't there, because he had no answer at all.  He just sat there looking impotent (not a commentary on his physical condition, I mean metaphorically/figuratively).  Abbott was a deer in headlights, and a full-on debate with Beto would provide numerous opportunities for Abbott to flail around and look weak.

3000.jpeg

Don’t start with 3.  Demand 5 debates.  Raise hell at the refusal, but accept 3 as a compromise.  Light the oratory flamethrower if the number of proposed debates gets to be 1.  When the real number is 0, rewind the cowardice for the media to detail this rejected prior 5-3-1 debate proposal. Then. . . Relentlessly bitch-shame Abbot for being as impotent as an ERCOT board member afraid to tell us Texans where he stands on the issues (let the word “stands” come out like it’s drenched in Bourbon).  Then, as almost an afterthought, clarify your statement on using the word “impotent” - you are not accusing him of having a permanently flaccid penis unable to satisfy the thirsty First Lady of Texas, just that he has displayed 8 years of rudderless leadership.   

With the caveat that I’ve never seen Abbott debate, do y’all really not remember what a terrible debater Beto is?

Also, debates just don’t matter anymore.

Going back to the Cruz race, Beto always seemed to want to win based on his being the best person for the job, not wanting to start slinging mud, like that took away, somehow tarnished him.   Seems back during the 2018 race he answered a question in an interview about not wanting to do negative campaigning.  Hopefully he's starting to realize there could definitely be some room for that in his strategy.   

The question is how negative will Abbott get towards Beto?  Or will he just continue to ignore him, like a pesky fly that will go away?   Abbott can stay above the fray and not claim he is slinging mud, while all along his minions are, and not so thinly veiled.   That will probably fuel any retaliatory stuff from Beto.  

7 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Going back to the Cruz race, Beto always seemed to want to win based on his being the best person for the job, not wanting to start slinging mud, like that took away, somehow tarnished him.   Seems back during the 2018 race he answered a question in an interview about not wanting to do negative campaigning.  Hopefully he's starting to realize there could definitely be some room for that in his strategy.   

The question is how negative will Abbott get towards Beto?  Or will he just continue to ignore him, like a pesky fly that will go away?   Abbott can stay above the fray and not claim he is slinging mud, while all along his minions are, and not so thinly veiled.   That will probably fuel any retaliatory stuff from Beto.  

Beto should hammer him on his vulnerabilities; unstable grid, border insecurity that he’s had years to address, the foster care system scandal, mental health and child insurance problems, 13 mass shooting during his time as an elected office holder in Texas.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 9:01 PM, RatJuul said:

An impossible movie to make, IMO, as it is the greatest work of fiction in the Western canon and actors don't have the skills to translate such depth and transcendence. IMO.

There is a reason why BM and A Confederacy of Dunces have never been made.

My CSB.  Tommy Lee Jones  (an intermittent family friend) tried writing a screenplay for Blood Meridian.  An impossible task, I agree, especially for an actor tackling his first script.  With his usual hubris, Tommy Lee thought he was up to the task, and he truly loved the book.  The script remains a work in progress.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I feel 99.9% certain that Abbott will not debate Beto under any circumstances, even if Abbott is behind in the polls.

Abbott does not need the optics of a younger guy energetically walking around on stage, angrily challenging Abbott over every little thing, and getting his followers fired up.

The photos from Uvalde sealed the deal on debates.  Abbott didn't know how to react and just tried to shrink down in his chair and pretend like Beto wasn't there, because he had no answer at all.  He just sat there looking impotent (not a commentary on his physical condition, I mean metaphorically/figuratively).  Abbott was a deer in headlights, and a full-on debate with Beto would provide numerous opportunities for Abbott to flail around and look weak.

3000.jpeg

I hadn't seen this photo or if I have hadn't noticed Cruz. His gesture and stupid fucking face in general really sums up who he is.

Just now, chainsaw said:

Lots of people on the left, and the center, want to stop playing nice. The people want shit-talking, but only the far-right is delivering that.

I'm ready for whatever is effective. I honestly don't care about decorum or niceness anymore. Say 'fuck' in a debate. Call your opponent a feckless asshole. the olds might recoil but newer generations could give a fuck. they know flowery language and public niceties aren't shit when human rights and privilege's are being stolen at an alarming rate.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Lots of people on the left, and the center, want to stop playing nice. The people want shit-talking, but only the far-right is delivering that.

the problem is that it can also motivate and energize the opposition. 

51 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm ready for whatever is effective. I honestly don't care about decorum or niceness anymore. Say 'fuck' in a debate. Call your opponent a feckless asshole. the olds might recoil but newer generations could give a fuck. they know flowery language and public niceties aren't shit when human rights and privilege's are being stolen at an alarming rate.

this, this is what I am talking about and want more of

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

the problem is that it can also motivate and energize the opposition. 

I don't think there's much opposition left to motivate and energize. They're already forced to live in constant fear by Fox News and their batshit social media algorithms.

54 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I don't think there's much opposition left to motivate and energize. They're already forced to live in constant fear by Fox News and their batshit social media algorithms.

I disagree - they are becoming more and more divided between the true believers in "the steal" and those who want to move on.

We're seeing it play out in Georgia in real time. You don't want to give the former a reason to show up. Let them rot.

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I disagree - they are becoming more and more divided between the true believers in "the steal" and those who want to move on.

We're seeing it play out in Georgia in real time. You don't want to give the former a reason to show up. Let them rot.

I just don't think there are many possible Abbott voters who are staying home unless Beto shits on Abbott.

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I just don't think there are many possible Abbott voters who are staying home unless Beto shits on Abbott.

Yeah I'm thinking more outside of Texas. 

But if it can get those Huffines and West voters to stay home then it's a win.

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think they are going to fall in line. I've seen zero rumblings from that side of the internet that would lead me to believe those highly political people are going to sit out 2022.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chainsaw said:

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Here's an example of....not necessarily being shit-talking dirty, but plays somewhat dirty nonetheless.  Florida has red flag laws (supported by Republicans even), and they've removed a lot of guns from the mentally ill.

Abbott's weakness has always been when people compare him to other Republicans, and here in 2022 especially Republicans like DeSantis that he thinks can overshadow his future ambitions.

Beto should go all in on hammering Abbott over this.  Repeatedly state how he doesn't agree with Ron DeSantis on a lot of things, but DeSantis at least has the courage to try and protect Floridians from mass shooters.  Talk about how DeSantis showed leadership and a love for the people of Florida by getting these laws passed and signed, and how Greg Abbott doesn't have even a fraction of the courage does DeSantis.

Beto needs to keep asking why Abbott is too scared to do what DeSantis was willing to do.  Beto needs to talk about how Texas looks weak compared to Florida and Abbott looks weak compared to Ron DeSantis.

Abbott will flip out.  Maybe not publicly, but on the one hand he believes he can't do a thing that would anger a single Republican in Texas (such as bare bones red flag laws), but on the other hand, the idea that Beto is comparing him to DeSantis and telling Texans that Abbott is found lacking compared to DeSantis would drive him absolutely crazy.

Abbott is then faced with two possibilities - attack DeSantis and Florida publicly (something that Abbott can't do if he wants to make a run at the White House), or talk about getting some red flag laws passed, which may cause some R's to stay home in November, and which will be sabotaged by the batshit Republicans in the state legislature, who will make sure and attack Abbott.  

It would be even more productive if Abbott went on a full offensive about red flag laws and tried to hurt DeSantis in his own campaign in Florida (and it wouldn't take much for DeSantis to lose).  Abbott would see a 2024 rival removed from the field, at the same time tying himself fully to telling all Texans that he gives no fucks if the mentally ill have guns.

But pitting Republicans against one another, and tearing down Abbott in comparison to DeSantis is too easy and makes too much sense.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Here's an example of....not necessarily being shit-talking dirty, but plays somewhat dirty nonetheless.  Florida has red flag laws (supported by Republicans even), and they've removed a lot of guns from the mentally ill.

Abbott's weakness has always been when people compare him to other Republicans, and here in 2022 especially Republicans like DeSantis that he thinks can overshadow his future ambitions.

Beto should go all in on hammering Abbott over this.  Repeatedly state how he doesn't agree with Ron DeSantis on a lot of things, but DeSantis at least has the courage to try and protect Floridians from mass shooters.  Talk about how DeSantis showed leadership and a love for the people of Florida by getting these laws passed and signed, and how Greg Abbott doesn't have even a fraction of the courage does DeSantis.

Beto needs to keep asking why Abbott is too scared to do what DeSantis was willing to do.  Beto needs to talk about how Texas looks weak compared to Florida and Abbott looks weak compared to Ron DeSantis.

Abbott will flip out.  Maybe not publicly, but on the one hand he believes he can't do a thing that would anger a single Republican in Texas (such as bare bones red flag laws), but on the other hand, the idea that Beto is comparing him to DeSantis and telling Texans that Abbott is found lacking compared to DeSantis would drive him absolutely crazy.

Abbott is then faced with two possibilities - attack DeSantis and Florida publicly (something that Abbott can't do if he wants to make a run at the White House), or talk about getting some red flag laws passed, which may cause some R's to stay home in November, and which will be sabotaged by the batshit Republicans in the state legislature, who will make sure and attack Abbott.  

It would be even more productive if Abbott went on a full offensive about red flag laws and tried to hurt DeSantis in his own campaign in Florida (and it wouldn't take much for DeSantis to lose).  Abbott would see a 2024 rival removed from the field, at the same time tying himself fully to telling all Texans that he gives no fucks if the mentally ill have guns.

But pitting Republicans against one another, and tearing down Abbott in comparison to DeSantis is too easy and makes too much sense.

I like this thinking

21 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I like this thinking

Yes. Even though he was an English major, Beto is not going to win a Nobel for literature or speechifying, but he could take a page out of Sir Winston's book and go on the offensive. The Dems need a bulldog at the moment before the ball stops rolling.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all are smart and all and come up with some crafty shit but let’s face facts.

American politics is WAY MORE “Veep” than “House of Cards”.

No one is doing anything smart and dumb is winning.

And it's really crazy/frustrating that this is such a simple line of attack.

Beto: Ron DeSantis and Florida passed red flag laws to take guns away from the mentally ill to help protect our children.  Why doesn't Greg Abbott have the courage that Ron DeSantis does? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 3:39 PM, chainsaw said:

Same that I’m seeing. A bunch of people who went against Abbott for Huffines.  Would have probably sat out. Beto running too close for them to sit by now. They’ll hold their nose and vote for Abbott. 

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Same that I’m seeing. A bunch of people who went against Abbott for Huffines.  Would have probably sat out. Beto running too close for them to sit by now. They’ll hold their nose and vote for Abbott. 

The fact that you know a lot of people who support Huffines tells us a lot about the people in your orbit.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The fact that you know a lot of people who support Huffines tells us a lot about the people in your orbit.  

I know only a single person who’ll openly say they’re voting for Beto. He posts on this site. Tells you just as much I guess.  

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know only a single person who’ll openly say they’re voting for Beto. He posts on this site. Tells you just as much I guess.  

Tells me that most the people in your orbit are pretty shitty human beings, not shocking given the views you express on this website.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

Just now, fattyflattie said:

It truly amazes me the ugliest part about you is your soul.  

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Lulz.  That is fucking hilarious coming from someone who continues to vote for the party that promotes fear and hate.  Own it.  The party you continue to support is full of racist, hateful, misogynists.  

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Lulz.  That is fucking hilarious coming from someone who continues to vote for the party that promotes fear and hate.  Own it.  The party you continue to support is full of racist, hateful, misogynists.  

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

Oh no.  The party I support doesn't fall inline with your politics.  How ever will I get any sleep?

• Fuck You 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Oh no.  The party I support doesn't fall inline with your politics.  How ever will I get any sleep?

Good to know you support a party that is totally cool with dead children.  Tells us ALL we need to know about you.  The fact that you continue to vote for them is very indicative of the kind of person you are.  People like you will only change your mind when a shooting personally impacts you.  Disgusting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’ve been impressed with his ads lately. Can we make this one a tv ad?

That is very good.  However, as evidenced by some of the posters on this board, they do not care.  They are completely cool voting for a complete POS like Abbott.

Ultimately, for Beto to win, he has to motivate people who generally do not vote to get out and vote for him.  The shootings, the Texas abortion laws, and the stability of the grid all seem like things to hammer Abbott on, and should motivate people to get out and vote.  

As for the shitty human being who continue to pull the level for Republicans, like some of the posters on this board, the only way they change their mind is if something personally impacted them, but hell, I bet a lot of them lost electricity and water in 2021, and they are still ok with Abbott being in charge of the state.  It is a special kind of idiot that keeps voting in the same party that has taken the state of Texas in a terrible direction.  Don't believe me, look at rankings on health care access, equality, economic opportunity, air and water quality, and pollution.  They are in the bottom 5th in all of these. Also, pretty fucking funny that the energy capital of the world ranks 25th in the United States for its energy infrastructure.  I wonder why that may be.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/texas

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing