Colorado fires Mike Macintyre, hires Mel Tucker

Machinator

Did not realize Colorado was 5-6. Think everyone knew they were a paper tiger to some extent at 5-0 but not six straight Ls bad. A little surprised he doesn't have a chance to save his job by getting to a bowl game vs Cal, though I suppose losing to Oregon State is the Pac-12 equivalent of losing to Kansas - an unforgivable sin. I think the right coach could compete for the south division on a semi-regular basis there, but I don't think the ceiling is much higher than that.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Did not realize Colorado was 5-6. Think everyone knew they were a paper tiger to some extent at 5-0 but not six straight Ls bad. A little surprised he doesn't have a chance to save his job by getting to a bowl game vs Cal, though I suppose losing to Oregon State is the Pac-12 equivalent of losing to Kansas - an unforgivable sin. I think the right coach could compete for the south division on a semi-regular basis there, but I don't think the ceiling is much higher than that.

He didn't just lose to Oregon State. He blew a 28-point lead to them at home.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

He won 10 games and was in the CCG 2 years ago.  Who does Colorado think that they can get who will be better?

He won 8 conference games that year.  In his other four seasons as CU head coach he has won a TOTAL of 6 and will finish last in the South every one of those seasons (and the South has not been good at all for most of those).

I like CU and am happy to have them in the conference, but they should be doing a bit better than that.

• Like 1

He had 2 rough years before 2016 iirc. That 2106 season was pointed to as evidence that you gives good coach time and good things can happen. Relevant to us at the time as we were debating whether Charlie deserved a 4th year or not. 

At least that’s how I remembered some of the debate on shag.  Interesting how things played out. 

1 minute ago, Lhorn said:

He had 2 rough years before 2016 iirc. That 2106 season was pointed to as evidence that you gives good coach time and good things can happen. Relevant to us at the time as we were debating whether Charlie deserved a 4th year or not. 

At least that’s how I remembered some of the debate on shag.  Interesting how things played out. 

MacIntyre did what he was meant to do. Stabilize a program that fallen into the gutter and bring in some talent. He did that, but it's clear he's not capable of elevating CU beyond mediocre with the occasional good year.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Who can they get?

They are throwing names around -- Helfrich and Tedford seem most likely, but they are also saying Dana Holgerson could jump. Which I doubt. I don't see them going from Bill McCartney to Dana Holgerson, even separated by decades.

Tells you a little bit about the expectations and perceived ceiling of CU football when Holgerson is considered a reach.

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I think Holgerson is out of reach. Why would he leave WVU to go to CU?

would think WVU can match money 

The reporting I've seen indicates it would be more about him just being ready for a change of scenery. Who knows with Holgo, but seems like a reach. Just cause CU is interested doesn't make it mutual.

colorado is a cluster fuck.  moving to the pac 12 was the dumbest fucking decision they could have made.  like nebraska they cut off their Texas recruiting ties, and can't compete with Washington, the Cali schools, oregon and now even wash st in california.  they're fucked

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Machinator said:

Why would a SECSECSEC HC leave the SECSECSEC?   It's the bestest conference ever.   Vandy could beat every other P5 team in the country outside of the SECSECSEC because the SECSECSEC is the most hardest conference ever.   SECSECSEC!!!!!

15 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

They killed their Texas pipeline by leaving the Big XII.

With Colorado & Nebraska leaving the Big12, TCU now a P5 school, and with the floodgates open to the SEC (thanks aggy), there is now real way to recruit Texas for these former Big12 schools.

They made their bed so they can f'n lie in it.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

They killed their Texas pipeline by leaving the Big XII/SWC

Arkansas

Nebraska

Colorado

Missouri

They can all choke on their decisions.  AR possibly has faced the worst of it.  Even their half-baked "Jerry World rivalry" with aggy has been a shitshow.  They are grade-A fooked right now.  No real local talent.  Tough out of state recruiting.  No real exposure to Texas markets anymore.  HAHA.  Dumb shits.  

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

I don't think Stoops coaches again. I think the Mixon thing cost him all his chips.

No one talks about that and it was never that big of an issue on the national scene. If Stoops announced he was looking to get back into coaching he would have offers by the droves within the hour. 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

They killed their Texas pipeline by leaving the Big XII.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

With Colorado & Nebraska leaving the Big12, TCU now a P5 school, and with the floodgates open to the SEC (thanks aggy), there is now real way to recruit Texas for these former Big12 schools.

They made their bed so they can f'n lie in it.

If Texas (& OU) ever jumped to the PAC ##, then Colorado would be back in business with Texas' Top 50-200 players.

They heavily recruited "inner city LA kids" in their glory years. This helped the kids get out of bad home environments, but some of these kids brought their home environments with them to Boulder. I think that Oregon picked up Boulder's slack when shit started going back in Boulder. I'm not sure if CU could successfully tap the SoCal talent pool (even for sloppy seconds) without a SoCal legend on staff and probably a lot of $$$ under the table.

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

...Nebraska also never really relied on Texas talent, but they did get most of their talent from the Western states generally...

The keys to Nebraska's success were:
-Recruit "athletes" from California, New Jersey, & Florida (and occasionally Texas)
-Use the county scholarships on football players so that you effectively had 130 or so players on scholarship
-Redshirt all farm boys and put them on the juice for their first 3 years in college and then use the best ones the last 2 years in school so that you could have a 3 deep OL, a few 'roid ragers on the DL and 2 to 3 Academic All-American former walk-on FBs as road graters behind those steroid-filled OLs.

Nebraska is no longer seen as fashionable to kids from CA, NJ, & FL, I think that they the county scholarship loophole is no longer allowed, and there is at least some semblance of PED testing in the NCAA. (...Though Ohio State & Alabama do chuckle a bit when "drug testing" is mentioned.)

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Nebraska needed to be in the Big 12 or PAC 12.

The PAC would have been a far better fit for the Huskers, if joining with CU/ OU & UT...
As the school recruits from all over, but the states that are recruited the most heavily are California/ Texas/ Florida, which 2 of the would have been in the "merged" PAC-XII...

• Machinator changed the title to Colorado fires Mike Macintyre, hires Mel Tucker