Adrian Peterson admits he still hits his son with a belt

ztejas

Discipline with a belt can be debated...how hard you're hitting etc.  I know it's still a part of the culture in several parts of Texas where my family is from.  

What can't be up for debate is how fucking stupid you are if you get charged with child abuse and lose a few million dollars, being suspended at work for a full year...then coming out and admitting you still have not changed.  Fucking idiot.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Boozing. Engrish
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, hornian said:

The problem is that studies can be found to support both sides of the argument and people will always go to the source which supports their opinion. 

Discipline of all forms can become abuse.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

The problem is that studies can be found to support both sides of the argument and people will always go to the source which supports their opinion. 

Discipline of all forms can become abuse.

I’m gonna side with the American Academy of Pediatrics versus any study that says there are health and developmental benefits for corporal punishment. 

But then, I like fact-based science, not “back in my day” anecdotal evidence. So I may be biased. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, hornian said:

I’m gonna side with the American Academy of Pediatrics versus any study that says there are health and developmental benefits for corporal punishment. 

But then, I like fact-based science, not “back in my day” anecdotal evidence. So I may be biased. 

I heard the jury's still out on science.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, hornian said:

Like I said.

20 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

I have no problems with him using a belt, but he is a dumbass for admitting it in public as a public figure in this current climate of the pussification of America 

Honestly I thought he was come down on pretty hard for the switch incident, and forgave him to some degree in the sense that I'm sure he was hit by parental figures as a child.

But after suffering the consequences, doing rehab/therapy, etc. this shit is not only inexcusable but so, so stupid to come out and admit.

27 minutes ago, Oakbrook said:

This is Surly.  You are going to have to be more specific.

AP matches that description on several counts.

So does anyone that equates every instance of spanking with child abuse.

My personal experience having four children is that spanking has its place, but for the most part it has little of the impact that you want or expect. 

Edited by GRHorn

I had coaches in high school that would beat your ass with a 2 foot long wooden paddle with holes in it before making you run til you puke. So a few well placed swats on your ass with a belt wasn't a big deal, now a shot to the nuts is a different story. I'm only talking 35 years ago but seems like yesterday. Ah, the good ol days.

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

My personal experience having four children is that spanking has its place, but for the most part it has little of the impact that you want or expect. 

There's been times when I've thought to myself, am I doing this for punishment or am I letting my frustrations out? I rarely do it now. 

Got hit with a belt as a child.

It taught me two things.

1. Avoid my 6'4"-260 lb father at all times. Because he might get mad about something and hit me with a fucking belt. 

2. If I fucked up, I should definitely lie and cover it up, to avoid getting hit with a fucking belt. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Monster said:

Got hit with a belt as a child.

It taught me two things.

1. Avoid my 6'4"-260 lb father at all times. Because he might get mad about something and hit me with a fucking belt. 

2. If I fucked up, I should definitely lie and cover it up, to avoid getting hit with a fucking belt. 

The logic of this argument would apply to any form of discipline.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hornian said:

You can find studies to support any damn stance you want to take. Every study has their own agenda. 

You can find studies that tells you stuffing pills down your throat is good for any sickness you have. Gee wonder why? All agendas. 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, hornian said:

Being married to a physician, I can say that many OB/GYNs don't agree with some of the positions of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, many Pediatricians don't agree with some of the positions of the American Academy of Pediatrics, etc.  I'm not saying many disagree with this particular position, but those organizations don't have universal support among their membership.  I know many doctors who won't join the AMA because of their stance on certain issues, and many who maintain membership do so while holding their noses.  Some contribute to AMPAC but do not join the AMA. It's a complicated business.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

If you don't want to spank your kid...then don't.

LOLz at the folks sharing how tough their huge ass dad was with a belt. I grew up with many other kids who were in single parent homes where the moms doled out the discipline.  Pissed off moms ain't no joke, although I fundamentally disagree with spankings before the parents coll off to administer them. My mom happened to be 5'5" and was hard as fuck, LOL.  She was every bit as scary, if not more so than any tough guy I ever knew.  My friends' moms( and dads if they were there) all had instant permission to bust my ass if I was fucking up at their house. That's just the way things were.

I spanked both of my boys. I expect that they will spank their kids.  It is not abuse when done properly.  i do feel waaaaaay too many kids in our society are not receiving proper instruction/ accountability/ corrective action from their parents.  Bring this discussion up with anyone who works in elementary education.  It's unbelievable what they have to tolerate in the schools from these fuckups, and I am speaking of the parents not the kids.  By high school, it's a much tougher row to hoe...

This mentality in our society that everything is permissible and there should be no boundaries for my child is killing us.

5 hours ago, formermav43 said:

The logic of this argument would apply to any form of discipline.

This is false.   You do realize there are 'forms of discipline' that don't involve physically striking a someone, right?   

But if beating your kids is the only way you know how to teach a lesson, then hammer away!   And when your kids become adults and move out and stop returning your phone calls, and never come to visit, you can just pour another glass of whiskey and mutter about ingratitude until you pass out every night.      I would suggest you arrange a cleaning service once a week, or some other weekly visitation, because if you don't, and you do inevitably die embittered and alone--it's going to be two or three weeks before anybody finds your rotting corpse on the couch.    

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

I spanked both of my boys. I expect that they will spank their kids. Bring this discussion up with anyone who works in elementary education.  By high school, it's a much tougher row to hoe...

Gets tougher when they aren't half your size and are big enough to defend themselves from a beating, I'd guess.

Most effective discipline my parents ever doled out was when i stole a candy bar from a convenience store.  I wasn't allowed to play basketball on the school team for 2 weeks.  Longest two weeks of my preteen life.    Never stole another candy bar.     Try taking away privileges.   That's what you do when they're older and you can't manhandle them anymore, right?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Monster said:

Gets tougher when they aren't half your size and are big enough to defend themselves from a beating, I'd guess.

Most effective discipline my parents ever doled out was when i stole a candy bar from a convenience store.  I wasn't allowed to play basketball on the school team for 2 weeks.  Longest two weeks of my preteen life.    Never stole another candy bar.     Try taking away privileges.   That's what you do when they're older and you can't manhandle them anymore, right?

It is not about physically beating the fuck out of someone, but carry on...

If you asked my kids if they were ever remotely close to being abused, they would answer emphatically in the negative.  I would say the same about my own mom.

Edited by slorch

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

This mentality in our society that everything is permissible and there should be no boundaries for my child is killing us.

This is a red herring. I’ve never spanked either of my kids, but there are swift and decisive consequences when they break a rule. They’re great citizens. Your mileage may vary, but don’t assume that not spanking a kid means that everything is permissible. 

It also has nothing to do with a deadbeat dad who almost derailed his career because he busted his son’s scrotum with a beating. And fuck using a belt to deliver the blows. Peterson is a bitch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DejaVu said:

This is a red herring. I’ve never spanked either of my kids, but there are swift and decisive consequences when they break a rule. They’re great citizens. Your mileage may vary, but don’t assume that not spanking a kid means that everything is permissible. 

It also has nothing to do with a deadbeat dad who almost derailed his career because he busted his son’s scrotum with a beating. And fuck using a belt to deliver the blows. Peterson is a bitch. 

It is not a red herring with regard to discussing our society as a whole.  The increasingly pervasive mentality of permissiveness is fucking us up.

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

It is not about physically beating the fuck out of someone, but carry on...

Peterson busted his kid’s scrotum. If that happens to you in a disagreement at a bar, you’re pressing charges, right? 

That was a beating, not “punishment.”