Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/08/24/president-of-belarus-causes-controversy-after-congratulating-ukraine-on-independence-day/

holy fucking shit

Alexander Lukashenko the President of Belarus has sparked controversy after congratulating Ukraine on Independence Day, despite the nation openly supporting Russia in the ongoing war, as reported on Wednesday, August 24.

The official message to Ukraine was posted on the President of Belarus’ official website, stating:

“Congratulations to the people of Ukraine on Independence Day.”

“President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko has congratulated the people of Ukraine on Independence Day.”

“I am convinced that today’s contradictions will not be able to destroy the centuries-old foundation of sincere good-neighborly relations between the peoples of the two countries,” the message reads.

“Belarus will continue to stand up for the preservation of accord, development of friendly and mutually respectful contacts at all levels.”

“The Belarusian head of state wished Ukrainians peaceful skies, tolerance, courage, strength and success in restoring decent life.”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Whoever thought the Ukrainians were going to rollover and accept Russian conquest was a dumbass

I didn't think they would roll over, but I figured they'd be swamped and destroyed in 3 days.  Mark me down as a "dumbass."

53 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I'm assuming Boris Johnson is no longer in Kyiv? If he is, and RU is firing on Kyiv ... that seems bad

I know his domestic actions have been uneven, but he's been a goddamn warrior against the Russians.  Ukraine loves that guy.

33 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/08/24/president-of-belarus-causes-controversy-after-congratulating-ukraine-on-independence-day/

holy fucking shit

Alexander Lukashenko the President of Belarus has sparked controversy after congratulating Ukraine on Independence Day, despite the nation openly supporting Russia in the ongoing war, as reported on Wednesday, August 24.

The official message to Ukraine was posted on the President of Belarus’ official website, stating:

“Congratulations to the people of Ukraine on Independence Day.”

“President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko has congratulated the people of Ukraine on Independence Day.”

“I am convinced that today’s contradictions will not be able to destroy the centuries-old foundation of sincere good-neighborly relations between the peoples of the two countries,” the message reads.

“Belarus will continue to stand up for the preservation of accord, development of friendly and mutually respectful contacts at all levels.”

“The Belarusian head of state wished Ukrainians peaceful skies, tolerance, courage, strength and success in restoring decent life.”

I presume he'll have someone sampling his tea before he drinks it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

I'm assuming Boris Johnson is no longer in Kyiv? If he is, and RU is firing on Kyiv ... that seems bad

Many countries have moved their embassies and ambassadors back to Kyiv, so there is still a solid chance of the Russians fucking around and increasing military aid to Ukraine.

17 minutes ago, Kwix said:

So are these kids that are being "given" to Russian families orphans created by the war, or is Russia just straight up kidnapping them?

Straight up kidnapping, sending their fathers to the front, and doing god only knows what with the mothers.

• Like 1

My read on the upcoming “referendums” in the occupied regions is that it’s an open admission by Russia that their ground forces have capitulated and they have no capacity to take further ground. Of course they will “win” the vote but the result will be rejected by the entire international community and the fight will continue.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

My read on the upcoming “referendums” in the occupied regions is that it’s an open admission by Russia that their ground forces have capitulated and they have no capacity to take further ground. Of course they will “win” the vote but the result will be rejected by the entire international community and the fight will continue.

There’s more indications that this is accurate.  I have to say, as awful as it is— firing some stand-off cruise missiles at Kyiv and other cities from Tu-22s is a weak sauce message for Ukraine’s Independence Day. Shoigu today announced that the tempo of the “special operation” is slowing down as they try to “avoid casualties.”

All signs point to a military that is broken and failing and an admission internally that there is no palatable answer to HIMARS and other Western arms in terms of mounting an actual offensive. So you pause, attempt to consolidate gains with referendums, and then try to start shifting the international narrative. “Ukraine is attacking people who don’t want to be a Ukraine, it’s cold in Europe. We are offering to negotiate. Stop sending guns and we will pause fighting for a bit.” 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Fico said:

Think Ukrainian sunset was about 30 mins ago. Sounds like some TU-22s let off some standoff missiles. I haven't seen Kyiv and the western cities getting hit as often recently but still been happening periodically.  

At lunch today, GOLL and I were discussing how that's exactly what we expected from the Russians today, were surprised it hadn't happened.  Guess we just had to wait a bit.

As for Ukraine, weakening Russia is great.  Stopping their advances is great.  But really, I love how their focus is fuck that shit......

win-major-league.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

also, this isn't a money sink, it's a huge marketing expense.  you think countries will be lining up to buy anyone else's shit after watching ours make a mockery of soviet tech?  

So much this. The problem is that this is way of thinking is far too outside the box/looking to the future than the vast majority of the idiots in this country are willing to even attempt. Big words and such.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Straight up kidnapping, sending their fathers to the front, and doing god only knows what with the mothers.

I mentioned this upthread, the Russians have been doing this since Russia began.  Volga Germans who immigrated to the US REFUSED to send their kids to public school because they figured the North Dakota Governor would kidnap them.  It's all they knew.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Technically only a small amount of that was in actual currency. The rest was that amount worth of equipment, aid, food, ammo, and everything else. I keep seeing people on Twitter loudly proclaiming we stop giving them another dollar. When it's like "Dude, we aren't giving them 3 billion dollars, we are giving them 3 billion WORTH of stuff. Most of which is just sitting around in stockpiles collecting dust and was probably specifically designed for this purpose anyway. So chill"

There are so many upsides to giving them this shit no matter what side of the fence you sit on in my opinion.

Yeah, “you’re wasting our weapons by letting people blow up Russians with them” is a really weird fucking flex and take. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We have spent 10.6 billion in Ukraine since the full scale invasion broke out. Now, Ukraine of course has paid many times over. But with that funding we handed one of two near-peer adversaries a Vietnam-level debacle compressed into six months.

That is a fucking bargain. 

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

17 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Technically only a small amount of that was in actual currency. The rest was that amount worth of equipment, aid, food, ammo, and everything else. I keep seeing people on Twitter loudly proclaiming we stop giving them another dollar. When it's like "Dude, we aren't giving them 3 billion dollars, we are giving them 3 billion WORTH of stuff. Most of which is just sitting around in stockpiles collecting dust and was probably specifically designed for this purpose anyway. So chill"

There are so many upsides to giving them this shit no matter what side of the fence you sit on in my opinion.

And our stockpiles are eventually rotated through - we normally will fire/use that stuff in training at some point so it’s not wasted.  We don’t buy it and sit on it forever, waiting to use it in a war, and it’ll go unused if we don’t have another war within X amount of time.

Instead, not only is it being used effectively and efficiently, we are getting a shitload of information and analysis about just how good it is against a modern and well-equipped force, information that would normally be hard for us to acquire.  And it’s taking out hardware we won’t have to face in the future, and in theory if it weakens Russia, that’s fantastic for us.  We won’t have to worry about Russia trying to fuck around and find out with us.

And our military analysts are putting together a lot of information that will eventually be utilized by our own troops in terms of tactics and new or different uses for our hardware.   Not to mention our defense comapnies.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

And our stockpiles are eventually rotated through - we normally will fire/use that stuff in training at some point so it’s not wasted.  We don’t buy it and sit on it forever, waiting to use it in a war, and it’ll go unused if we don’t have another war within X amount of time.

Instead, not only is it being used effectively and efficiently, we are getting a shitload of information and analysis about just how good it is against a modern and well-equipped force, information that would normally be hard for us to acquire.  And it’s taking out hardware we won’t have to face in the future, and in theory if it weakens Russia, that’s fantastic for us.  We won’t have to worry about Russia trying to fuck around and find out with us.

And our military analysts are putting together a lot of information that will eventually be utilized by our own troops in terms of tactics and new or different uses for our hardware.   Not to mention our defense comapnies.

HIMARS rockets are like a Meeseeks and it’s basically torture not to let them fulfill their purpose of blowing up vatnik munition dumps. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't think it hurts anything to let the Chicoms watch our stuff  -- being utilized by Ukrainians with 10% of the training of American troops -- blow up Russians either

Don't discount what I added in bold.  This is our stuff being used by people who got relatively minimal training.  If our adversaries ever thought "sure, the Americans have some fancy killer tech, but it's too hard to use, so it won't actually be effective in battle," they can toss that notion in the trash.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I had to watch that second one to see if they really said that.  Wtf.  

On the one hand, the Russian state TV shows, you have to think they are just performance art that Putin signed off on, or helped script.  But then you remember their intended audience, and the people behind those shows know those audiences well, and are making their best attempt at selling whatever Putin wants sold to the Russian public.  These shows aren’t clickbait selling gold coins or pillows or natural supplements or movies, they aren’t like American cable news shows trying to stretch out a few minutes of thin content to keep you watching until the end of the show.  They are trying to sell an entire nation on one man’s genocidal mission, and they have been steadily ramping up the batshit rhetoric to eventually convince their viewers  that there should be a general mobilization and more young men sent to their deaths in Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We have spent 10.6 billion in Ukraine since the full scale invasion broke out. Now, Ukraine of course has paid many times over. But with that funding we handed one of two near-peer adversaries a Vietnam-level debacle compressed into six months.

You sure 'bout that, Clark?

I don't think there's a peer to the USA on this planet. And if there is, it ain't Russia.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

On the one hand, the Russian state TV shows, you have to think they are just performance art that Putin signed off on, or helped script.  They are trying to sell an entire nation on one man’s genocidal mission, and they have been steadily ramping up the batshit rhetoric to eventually convince their viewers  that there should be a general mobilization and more young men sent to their deaths in Ukraine.

3DBF83B3-9307-422F-95EC-745D848381AC.gif

840CC6D7-4FBD-4896-ABFA-45C62EB51775.jpeg

931907DA-9F92-4B0B-8230-BB5F42EAA604.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

I think we get distracted by modern casualty figures in recent actions.   The U.S. lost over 180,000 servicemen and women in Europe in WWII.   Over 400,000 when the Pacific is included.  

Ukraine cannot ‘“win” unless they take lost land back from entrenched Russians.  To do that not only requires a shit ton of military equipment, it will require the sacrifice of a depressingly large number of Ukrainian soldiers and civilians.  It just will.   Heartbreaking numbers in fact.    

And I see no way around it.   We can train large numbers of Ukrainians (NATO is trying hard right now), we can give them modern weapons, but they alone can prevail while incurring lives lost and soldiers wounded with every kilometer and village.   And it will be bloody, and it will result in tragic loss of life.  Like 183,000 dead Americans in Europe?  Maybe.  I hope not.  

Such is the cost of freedom. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Like I said, I completely agree. Hopefully I didn’t lead anyone to think otherwise. My post was more a jab at the idiots in our own country getting shitty about the money we’re spending sending weaponry to Ukraine.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't discount what I added in bold.  This is our stuff being used by people who got relatively minimal training.  If our adversaries ever thought "sure, the Americans have some fancy killer tech, but it's too hard to use, so it won't actually be effective in battle," they can toss that notion in the trash.

American Marines with HIMARS training in the arctic

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, back in my younger days I played many a paintball game in East Texas woods like that. Of course there wasn't any kind of life or death thing going on, but when you grow up in those kinds of woods you learn a thing or two. That said, I'm sure it is a bit of an adjustment for many of the soldiers who grew up in more urban environments.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1