Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Having visited Japan and seen their absolute meticulous approach to everything... everything... I commented to my wife that I could not imagine how relentless they would be in war.  

You have no idea - Dan Carlin's Hardcore History did a six-parter on the entire military rise and fall of Imperial Japan: Supernova in the East

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

However you want to characterize it, the Russians defeated the Japanese and the Japanese never again threatened the Russians. They wanted Russian territory, didn’t get it, and stayed neutral as to Russia for six years. That is, until Russia decided it wanted a piece of Japan - which they took and still have - mere days before cessation of hostilities. They slept thy Japanese army. Bottom line.

Japan didn't want part of Russia, they wanted China - Russia started tangling with Japan in Manchuria because tzar Nicholas was a dumbass, and they more or less got mired there. Russia's holdings in the Sea of Okhotsk are a far cry from Port Arthur's warmer waters, and was a consolation prize for Stalin

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The country's 23 billionaires currently have a net worth of $343 billion, according to the wealth list, down from $375 billion at year-end.

Yeah, that'll show 'em. I know these types are often never satisfied with their pursuit of additional wealth, but if they are on board with "restoring Russia" or "freeing Ukraine" or whatever it is that Putin is blabbing about as justification, I'm pretty sure a few billion here and there is okay with them.

Edited by 'stache

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yeah, that'll show 'em. I know these types are often never satisfied with their pursuit of additional wealth, but if they are on board with "restoring Russia" or "freeing Ukraine" or whatever it is that Putin is blabbing about as justification, I'm pretty sure a few billion here and there is okay with them.

Like Musk and Bezos, their wealth is tied to stock prices that fluctuate - for these Russians, it's primarily the price of oil/gas

46 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That’s cool in a Rambo way and all, but I am skeptical about whether the government of Japan supports him in that.

naw, they govt dissolved the samurai class and banned the carrying of katanas in 1876 during the meiji restoration period

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

But the first time your trophy wife can't ride the Lear Jet to Paris for a shopping trip...

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

6psu.gif

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Not to nitpick but truth is opposite.  Per unit revenue is higher in US, and also total revenue is higher in US.

image.png.616b00de63a7e2cbd6c0a8ee7d1bccff.png

image.png.5d22e647dcdad85688ecb39ebcd69086.png

Most of the Merc they buy are produced locally, anyway

image.png.79ce6821754823174b5e9a3e451d7ee7.png

BMW rev for US is close to China

image.png.fb9d40f474e40eaf589faba8f1741d04.png

Thanks for correcting there. Didn't realize that. Posrep. Was relying on the below and didn't dig down that deep. Curious what Daimler's 2021 numbers are. Annual report comes out tomorrow so we won't have to wait long. 

spacer.png

Japan didn't want part of Russia, they wanted China - Russia started tangling with Japan in Manchuria because tzar Nicholas was a dumbass, and they more or less got mired there. Russia's holdings in the Sea of Okhotsk are a far cry from Port Arthur's warmer waters, and was a consolation prize for Stalin

Russia, Japan, China. I’d give any of them Port Arthur for free.
  • Haha 3

Ukrainian banks and state institutions are undergoing a massive DDoS attack right now.  Soldiers in Donbas have been getting texts to the effect of “our army will wipe you out within 2 days, leave while you can.”

Media reports that a full scale invasion within 48 hours is expected and that Biden called Zelenskyy to tell him. 

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I seemed to recall something about that.  Tom Cruise was involved, was he not?

the-last-samurai-tom-cruise-samurai.gif

yes, exactly.  this was right after he was betrayed by brad pitt and kirsten dunst and tricked into drinking dead blood , so he left his parisian vampiric life behind and started anew in the far east.  atleast for a little while.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You have no idea - Dan Carlin's Hardcore History did a six-parter on the entire military rise and fall of Imperial Japan: Supernova in the East

Without further thread derailing, agree to disagree.  By the time of Khalkin Gol, the Japanese already had China and they were testing the waters of further expansion.  If they could've expanded more into Russia, they would've, but they were defeated.  The facts on the ground are that Japan never again threatened Russia.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ukrainian banks and state institutions are undergoing a massive DDoS attack right now.  Soldiers in Donbas have been getting texts to the effect of “our army will wipe you out within 2 days, leave while you can.”

Media reports that a full scale invasion within 48 hours is expected and that Biden called Zelenskyy to tell him. 

This whole thing is so fucked.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Also of note- several accounts posting OSINT related stuff on Ukraine— geolocation, equipment spotting, etc— were knocked offline earlier today and yesterday via coordinates bots that flagged their accounts as inappropriate to Twitter. Then Twitter’s own bots took over and turned the accounts off, customer service takes hours to review.

Modern warfare is gonna be a deeply weird thing, folks. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Sounds like a repeat of the 2014 playbook

Information warfare -> cyber warfare -> physical warfare

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Also of note- several accounts posting OSINT related stuff on Ukraine— geolocation, equipment spotting, etc— were knocked offline earlier today and yesterday via coordinates bots that flagged their accounts as inappropriate to Twitter. Then Twitter’s own bots took over and turned the accounts off, customer service takes hours to review.

yeah, the ones I follow are down. Fucking fuckity fuck fuck.

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Sounds like a repeat of the 2014 playbook

Information warfare -> cyber warfare -> physical warfare

Important to note that Kremlin doctrine does not draw bright lines between these types of warfare. The Kremlin views them as inextricably linked and they are all deployed in the service of Russian strategic goals. 

That’s why I laugh at the Russia appeasers. Russia is already in a permanent conflict with us and it’s spelled out in their own documents. It’s kind of like “what if we just don’t ACCEPT their declaration of war?”

• Hook 'Em 7

26 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

yes, exactly.  this was right after he was betrayed by brad pitt and kirsten dunst and tricked into drinking dead blood , so he left his parisian vampiric life behind and started anew in the far east.  atleast for a little while.

Isn't that a new Netflix series?  I mean, I'm not much for vampire fiction.  But if we're talking vampire samurai--well, maybe that's something that I can get down with.

24 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Without further thread derailing, agree to disagree.  By the time of Khalkin Gol, the Japanese already had China and they were testing the waters of further expansion.  If they could've expanded more into Russia, they would've, but they were defeated.  The facts on the ground are that Japan never again threatened Russia.  

There's some further interesting background on that, which is detailed in McMeekin's book Stalin's War: A New History of World War II.  Let it suffice to say that the Japanese commander, Lt. Gen. Michitaro Komatsubara was probably a Soviet agent who may have been enticed by the Soviet Union into starting a battle that the Soviets were prepared for and would easily win.

If that's correct, then you're right--the Soviet gambit had its desired effect: Japan switched from the Hokushin-ron--the Northern Expansion Doctrine (literally, the "Northern Road)--to the Southern Expansion Doctrine (the Nanshin-ron).  And along the way, Soviet agents knew about the attack on Pearl Harbor, quietly encouraged it, and pointedly did not warn the United States or the UK, notwithstanding the billions of dollars worth of Lend-Lease material they were getting from the United States.

So yeah--in case you didn't already think the Russians were a bunch of fuckers, . . . .

• Hook 'Em 6

So I knew my grandmother had a fuel based heating system added to her house almost a decade ago. I was curious what she thought about all of this. Apparently it runs on biogas that is produced in her village. One of the cow farmers decided to put all that shit he had laying around to use and started up biogas production. He offered it for free to anyone in the village that wanted it, with the caveat that he would start charging after a few years. He still has yet to charge her, so her only worry is the price of gas for the car she rides in like once every 2 weeks. 

She still has her wood burning heater and a decent amount of wood. Her neighbors that didn’t switch over to biogas still rely completely on wood. I know that’s not an option in the cities, but I’m curious how big of an impact the fuel stuff has on rural Germans. I know both of her sister in neighboring villages have a similar setup (house built around a wood burning heater, fuel based stuff added later), but they don’t get their fuel oil/biogas for free.  

30 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You got a link?  That's fascinating. 

21 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

yeah, the ones I follow are down. Fucking fuckity fuck fuck.

Who are the good follows (when they're running)?

34 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

the modern Soldier

Ben Whishaw's Most Iconic Q Moments in the 'James Bond' Franchise

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй