Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Fun fact this ship was named for Tsaezar Kunikov, who died 81 years ago on this date fighting for the Soviets in WW2. Not sure if just a pure coincidence or if the Ukrainians are adding an extra fuck you to the Ruskies.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Caesar Kunikov could carry 10 main battle tanks and 340 troops at one landing.  hopefully, they were transporting good stuff to the war effort when it was sunk.

Just a reminder of the long-term effects of this war, the Caesar Kudukhov was built and launched in the 1980s by Soviet era shipbuilders in Poland. Russia really doesn’t have the shipbuilding expertise and facilities now or in the future to replace it. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Just a reminder of the long-term effects of this war, the Caesar Kudukhov was built and launched in the 1980s by Soviet era shipbuilders in Poland. Russia really doesn’t have the shipbuilding expertise and facilities now or in the future to replace it. 

its not like they will have a port to launch anything out of on the black sea anyway anymore.    even if russia ends up in a treaty with Crimea, their bases on the peninsula have proven to be completely exposed.     even if Ukraine is forced to give it up, Ukraine has learned how to play Russia's game against them, just have a rogue group "not at all affiliated with Ukraine" that just happens to make drone attack boats that keep attacking the Russian ships every month or so.

when Russia complains that they have been attacked, Ukr just shrug their shoulders and say the Ukrainian military has nothing to do with these breakaway drone terrorists.

• Hook 'Em 3

So this doesn't seem good. Wonder if it's the gps jamming in Königsberg that's been going on for the last few months or something more to do with online hacking and/disinformation campaigns or maybe new nuclear testing going on? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

So this doesn't seem good. Wonder if it's the gps jamming in Königsberg that's been going on for the last few months or something more to do with online hacking and/disinformation campaigns or maybe new nuclear testing going on? 

This seems . . . not ideal.

eta: Oh, fun--it looks like "Cuban Missile Crisis II: Nukes in Space" is coming.  

I kinda think I'm not going to like this sequel.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, bolverk said:

Why, why, why can't American teevee journalists be as good as British ones? Is it their education and training? Is it because a bunch of them were Mass Comm majors and not Journalism ones? Is it just that the BBC doesn't, I assume, have to worry about offending advertising money? All of the above?

All of the above, plus the British ones still get drunk at lunch.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This seems . . . not ideal.

eta: Oh, fun--it looks like "Cuban Missile Crisis II: Nukes in Space" is coming.  

I kinda think I'm not going to like this sequel.

They're just trying to make sure that they can take care of the NATO members that don't pay up

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dimyh said:

Fun fact this ship was named for Tsaezar Kunikov, who died 81 years ago on this date fighting for the Soviets in WW2. Not sure if just a pure coincidence or if the Ukrainians are adding an extra fuck you to the Ruskies.

I'll take "The sort of symbolism that Eastern Europeans were born for" for 100, Alex.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Viper said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with the hypersonic missiles we saw launched at Kyiv a day or two ago.

Maybe someone should let Elmo know that an anti-sat nuclear attack would surely take out his Starlink system, and would also mean drastically reducing the reach of his beloved X platform.  Maybe, just possibly maybe, he might figure out that Putin is not his fucking friend and is just using and abusing him like a cheap (and gullible) whore.

I'm sure I'll regret asking this but what is the tactical purpose of launching an ICBM in outer space towards other outer space targets?  The nuclear fallout/shockwave doesn't have nearly the same effect up there as it does down here?  

What am I missing?  

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm sure I'll regret asking this but what is the tactical purpose of launching an ICBM in outer space towards other outer space targets?  The nuclear fallout/shockwave doesn't have nearly the same effect up there as it does down here?  

What am I missing?  

EMP attack to target some critical spy/communication satellites.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Well, I get the comms cut but you wouldn't use a nuclear warhead to do that.  There are a half-dozen conventional options that can sever sat comms without raising the red flags and negative repercussions from the international community of deploying a nuclear weapon, even in space.  You can easily arrange a "Space Junk" accident up there with the same tactical effect, and save face without the incredibly obvious nuclear imagery signature of a purposely detonated shipped/launched/detonated device for literally half the planet to see.  

Just now, YGIFS said:

Well, I get the comms cut but you wouldn't use a nuclear warhead to do that.  There are a half-dozen conventional options that can sever sat comms without raising the red flags and negative repercussions from the international community of deploying a nuclear weapon, even in space.  You can easily arrange a "Space Junk" accident up there with the same tactical effect, and save face without the incredibly obvious nuclear imagery signature of a purposely detonated shipped/launched/detonated device for literally half the planet to see.  

Yes.  Because "thoughtful and subtle" is the way Russia rolls.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Same thoughts.

I was thinking about this book the other day and Russia.  It's a wonderfully written novel by Russian author, Bulkagov called "The Master and Margarita" (our English translation).  It's probably not been read by 89% of Americans and 99% of Americans who oppose supporting Ukraine.  If you believe, as the Christianity claims, that the Devil is all around us and we must cast him out from our lives because he fools us into doing evil things.  You would do well to read it instead of just preaching to us about how the Devil has taken over our country and maybe even our planet.  

Long story, short (too late, Lobo).  The Devil takes on myriad forms throughout history from Ancient Rome to Christianity to eventually threatening the very existence of the Russian hierarchy.  He uses Russia against her enemies and her enemies against Russia.  It even forecasts that Russian evils (the book was eventually embargo'd by the USSR) will eventually be accentuated by even more powerful forces outside her borders (it obviously doesn't explicitly mention the United States but one could easily supplant that idea upon some of his metaphors and amalgamations).  One can also obviously see how Putin is a version of a few of the characters, though they are long and tired Russian fictional tropes.  But the trick is, seeing who the Devil can also be who you don't see coming.  If you really believe what your church and your bible tells you about how evil comes in the form of someone offering you comfort and validation if you'll only just support this unjust cause over here in my other hand...that's the true work of evil genius.  Be careful when you pull a lever for allowing Russia to expand this theater.  For the Devil is not the obvious guy committing the heinous acts, but instead could very well be the charismatic other guy who convinces us to look the other way while it's happening.  

You'll most likely know the story better in its more modern, and samba-like incarnation.  Pleased to meet you.  Hope you guessed my name?  

• Like 1

Hasn’t Russia tried and failed repeatedly in recent months to demonstrate their ICBMs? …And their nuclear war headed nuclear powered UUV looks like bullshit… but we’re gonna assume they still possess the ability to put a nuke into space and remotely launch it years in the future? I won’t be holding my breath

Edited by B00M

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I was thinking about this book the other day and Russia.  It's a wonderfully written novel by Russian author, Bulkagov called "The Master and Margarita" (our English translation).  It's probably not been read by 89% of Americans and 99% of Americans who oppose supporting Ukraine.  If you believe, as the Christianity claims, that the Devil is all around us and we must cast him out from our lives because he fools us into doing evil things.  You would do well to read it instead of just preaching to us about how the Devil has taken over our country and maybe even our planet.  

Long story, short (too late, Lobo).  The Devil takes on myriad forms throughout history from Ancient Rome to Christianity to eventually threatening the very existence of the Russian hierarchy.  He uses Russia against her enemies and her enemies against Russia.  It even forecasts that Russian evils (the book was eventually embargo'd by the USSR) will eventually be accentuated by even more powerful forces outside her borders (it obviously doesn't explicitly mention the United States but one could easily supplant that idea upon some of his metaphors and amalgamations).  One can also obviously see how Putin is a version of a few of the characters, though they are long and tired Russian fictional tropes.  But the trick is, seeing who the Devil can also be who you don't see coming.  If you really believe what your church and your bible tells you about how evil comes in the form of someone offering you comfort and validation if you'll only just support this unjust cause over here in my other hand...that's the true work of evil genius.  Be careful when you pull a lever for allowing Russia to expand this theater.  For the Devil is not the obvious guy committing the heinous acts, but instead could very well be the charismatic other guy who convinces us to look the other way while it's happening.  

You'll most likely know the story better in its more modern, and samba-like incarnation.  Pleased to meet you.  Hope you guessed my name?  

Great.  So now we have to contend with Vladimir Putin AND Mick Jagger.   Just fucking great.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Great.  So now we have to contend with Vladimir Putin AND Mick Jagger.   Just fucking great.

I don't know about that, but while YGIFS was reading that trashy novel, I was skimming the internet and found out that Keith Richards was a badass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, B00M said:

Oh boy, now Musk is a useful idiot. At this point it’s gotta be inevitable that Tesla fails because this doofus can’t stay out of politics. 

Good. Stop putting those ugly fucking cars on the road.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't know about that, but while YGIFS was reading that trashy novel, I was skimming the internet and found out that Keith Richards was a badass.

Trashy novel?  Tell me something, Badger.  What's a little boy like you reading grown-up smut like this?  

It's a renown novel, you know.  

Keith Richards is a badass.  

But I still hope you guessed my name...

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Russia does not care about the international community response and enjoys having dramatic and frightening options available to pound the table with.  It’s never only about the desired military effect at that level. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, B00M said:

Hasn’t Russia tried and failed repeatedly in recent months to demonstrate their ICBMs? …And their nuclear war headed nuclear powered UUV looks like bullshit… but we’re gonna assume they still possess the ability to put a nuke into space and remotely launch it years in the future? I won’t be holding my breath

those icbm’s Have been sitting around for many many years. with only ‘top’ russian technicians to keep them in ‘top’ condition 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

those icbm’s Have been sitting around for many many years. with only ‘top’ russian technicians to keep them in ‘top’ condition 

Sure, but we’ve seen their ‘top’ scientists can’t develop a hypersonic missile either. Brain drain from Russia has been well documented and it seems evident today. The timing of these headlines make them appear intended to scare the average idiot and ultimately apply pressure to the House. Don’t get me wrong, I’m good with that. Do whatever it takes to get support to Ukraine. I just don’t believe Russia can actually accomplish any cutting edge technological achievement right now. 

• Hook 'Em 6