Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

40 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

They brought it down on purpose with the intention of recovering it for intelligence purposes. That's the only thing that makes sense to me

When you say that's the only thing that makes sense, I don't agree with you. Even if they don't recover it there's still benefits to the operation.

First of all, it's an unmanned drone. Way different consequences to bringing it down, even in international waters, than an E-3 surveillance plane with around 17 to 22 crew on board. 

Second, right now the US sends these surveillance planes in the area without repercussion. This sends a statement there can be repercussions, we can take these planes down without firing a shot, and we will. 

It's obvious to me watching the video they intended to take it down by dumping fuel on it, not by crashing into it. 

While it's a step beyond what they've done before, both the Russians and the Chinese have engaged in extremely dangerous intercept flights in the past. Including the recent past. China just came within 20 feet of a US plane in the South China Sea a couple of weeks ago. It's been going on for a while now. That said, I don't recall any circumstances where they were attempting to dump fuel on another aircraft, so this raises the stakes. I don't have a clear idea what the US is going to do in retaliation, especially considering everything they've done in concert with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, but they're going to have to do something otherwise this will continue. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

In the Black Sea. I read somewhere that Russia had already recovered various pieces. 

It could be true. I read the same thing. But it was from Russian Telegram channels. I didn't see any photos or video to back the claims up. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, though. 

It's about 45 to 75 miles southwest of Crimea, depending on whether you trust the BBC or the NY Times more. In any case, it's in a place pretty accessible to Russian warships. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Read that we were able to render the drone useless before capture. 

They were able to erase the intel gathered. Maybe fried the electronics? Dunno. But I wouldn't call a recovery useless. They'll still be able to learn something about it and pass it on to the Chinese and Iran, among others. That's okay. That's one of the risks of deploying it. Comes with the territory.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, NAVY said:

I was in the dive program pipeline. Broke my left arm running from Tijuana popo on my 21st b-day. Killed my shot.

i have massive regrets about that day

Found many other ways to contribute to my country and buried my dick deeply in each  

me gusta los Estados Unidos y fuck Russia in the goat ass 

During our big 20 mile hump and 2 week FTX I started getting migraines after wearing my k-pot for hours on end. Turns out I have a slight curve in my spine right between the shoulder blades. My dreams of air assault and ranger school went straight into the shitter. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

During our big 20 mile hump and 2 week FTX I started getting migraines after wearing my k-pot for hours on end. Turns out I have a slight curve in my spine right between the shoulder blades. My dreams of air assault and ranger school went straight into the shitter. 

I tried to appy for JAG after law school.   They said 

5781455F-97AC-4B0F-BF0C-D3FBAF8FFB55.jpeg.400fbdb9ff95f94fc89ae7ef9919ef25.jpeg

All I got…..

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Second, right now the US sends these surveillance planes in the area without repercussion. This sends a statement there can be repercussions, we can take these planes down without firing a shot, and we will. 

Uh...by running into them with their best fighter jets?

• Haha 5

Rob Lee citing a new WSJ article about the artillery shell shortage. The article is claiming Ukraine is going through 90,000 shells per month, which is way lower than the 250,000 shells per month they're requesting, and way way way lower than the 360,000 shells per month that would be their ideal. 

It's not part of the article, but the Estonian PM is trying to push the EU to give Ukraine 1 million shells immediately while also increasing production.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

If the jet fuel dump is a typical Russian maneuver on our unmanned drones, I have a proposed upgrade 

thumbsup-bb8.gif

heheh.

Hey pootin, just thought to let you know, we had to replace our downed drone with one that happens to have aim-9 missiles mounted.  We have no intention of shooting, but we did want to let you know about a design flaw.  The release mechanism has some plastic parts that rapidly degrade when exposed to jet fuel.  I'd hate for anything bad to happen, but I just wanted to let you know!

cheers!  Oh, and fuck you.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/14/2023 at 1:56 PM, Brisketexan said:

Be a real shame if they hit one of those Reapers, and the sensitive thing just blew the heck up, taking down both the Reaper and the jet.  A real darned shame.

On 3/14/2023 at 1:59 PM, Bevo said:

Ehh, a Reaper costs $32 Mil.

On 3/14/2023 at 2:01 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

I thought the same thing. Who knew the inside of one of those things was filled with C4 and tungsten BBs?

Been away for a few days but was thinking something similar.  The Reaper has been replacing the Predator drones and since the Predators are smaller and not being used as much we could just substitute one of them as the sacrificial drone.

Predator Self Destruct GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Been away for a few days but was thinking something similar.  The Reaper has been replacing the Predator drones and since the Predators are smaller and not being used as much we could just substitute one of them as the sacrificial drone.

Predator Self Destruct GIFs | Tenor

We need to be careful with that switcheroo.  We already know that....

....the rooskies don't fear the Reaper.

yeahhhhh-shades-on.gif

So with both sides of the conflict asking for ammo, what does this tell us about the legacy Russian\Ukrainian artillery platforms? 

Can no one produce 152 artillery shells anymore at a volume to keep up  or is the delivery systems so outdated, that everyone else has moved to a different shell type/bore size, the 155?

This actually has some serious implications because if it is a lack of capability it is a terrifying implication for other major land wars around the globe. If say India and China go at it, is there enough global supply to help India?

If it a lack of legacy production capability then now we are dealing with the question of what can we do to produce move systems that use the current NATO shell? Basically do we need to up production of 155 artillery pieces or make more 152s, or most likely both.

Thinking short and medium term, there is a lot of money to be made by producing volumes of 152 again. If Russian production cannot be counted on in the future to supply those with 152’s, if you are a country still using those systems, now what?

11 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Thinking short and medium term, there is a lot of money to be made by producing volumes of 152 again. If Russian production cannot be counted on in the future to supply those with 152’s, if you are a country still using those systems, now what?

My advice to those countries is to start drinking heavily.  Or at a minimum, don't go to war.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So with both sides of the conflict asking for ammo, what does this tell us about the legacy Russian\Ukrainian artillery platforms? 

Can no one produce 152 artillery shells anymore at a volume to keep up  or is the delivery systems so outdated, that everyone else has moved to a different shell type/bore size, the 155?

This actually has some serious implications because if it is a lack of capability it is a terrifying implication for other major land wars around the globe. If say India and China go at it, is there enough global supply to help India?

If it a lack of legacy production capability then now we are dealing with the question of what can we do to produce move systems that use the current NATO shell? Basically do we need to up production of 155 artillery pieces or make more 152s, or most likely both.

We need to make a 505mm cannon that launches kegs of Vodka 18 miles.  Drop a tap via drone.  Then we can walk down there and fuck all of them up.  

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

They were able to erase the intel gathered. Maybe fried the electronics? Dunno. But I wouldn't call a recovery useless. They'll still be able to learn something about it and pass it on to the Chinese and Iran, among others. That's okay. That's one of the risks of deploying it. Comes with the territory.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Chinese knew a lot about it already - they’ve been doing a lot of spying, either industrial or government/military.  Everybody has the outer shape down, and China has the industrial base know-how on avionics, engine, and some sensor stuff.  The communications gear is the big prize,

But given how risky this is, and that it was obvious from the start they were trying to force it down, and that it runs the risk of the US ramping up even more support for Ukraine (and even arming these things), I’m wondering if the Chinese or Iranians asked Russia to do this, or made it a condition of some kind of support.   

• Hook 'Em 3