Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Erdogan announced that Turkey will ratify Finland to NATO. Will still keep twisting arms over Sweden. 

Hungary is still lagging.  They have a vote scheduled for March 31, let’s see if it sticks.  They’re such assholes and have openly announced they are trying to blackmail the European Commission with the vote. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Ahh yeah, let's GO!:

https://apnews.com/article/icc-putin-war-crimes-ukraine-9857eb68d827340394960eccf0589253

ICC issues arrest warrant for Putin over Ukraine war crimes

By MIKE CORDER and RAF CASERT4 minutes ago

I’ll be interested to see how we respond. We don’t recognize the authority of the ICC for fear of it targeting military personnel but we sponsored a lot of the investigations into forcible deportation of children. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ll be interested to see how we respond. We don’t recognize the authority of the ICC for fear of it targeting military personnel but we sponsored a lot of the investigations into forcible deportation of children. 

Arresting him would start WWIII, so I'm guessing nothing unless we are already in a shooting war with Russia.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Arresting him would start WWIII, so I'm guessing nothing unless we are already in a shooting war with Russia.

Yeah, but we may not even say something like “we welcome this decision” even though we’ve accused Russia of war crimes against children. We are cautious of opening ourselves up to double standards attacks since we don’t recognize the court itself. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

LOL the fat asshole in Budapest waited all of 20 minutes to bump up Hungary’s vote on Finland to 27 March. He doesn’t want to be last. Transparent chickenshittery. 

Can't remember where I read it, but I heard there's money from Belgium on the line in early April. Funny how the vote is preceding that time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

regarding Kupol:

Yeah, journalists have a job, they're trying to get out a story, it's compelling to have a battalion commander talk about troops arriving to the front lines with poor training...but how in the world does that serve the best interests of Ukraine?

You can tell from some of the video there are troops with no prior military service, limited training, that are being sent to the front in Bakhmut. On one of the videos one of the leaders - seems like an NCO - walks into the command basement and says the 10 guys in one squad won't go. The response is, well, get them to go. Yeah, I've got 7 of the 10. I have to be more motivational with the other 3. 

Ukraine has no real ability to manufacture the arms they need to prosecute this war. They are almost completely dependent on their allies. Their allies are not going to look favorably on troops being sent to the front lines with poor training, regardless of the necessity. That's not going to be a good look. Right now there are plenty of people in the West who are looking on this thing as an attritional war that will remain so for a long time. They see a lot of dead bodies piling up, and they wonder what the point of it is? Why can't we reach some kind of peace agreement with something similar to the current boundaries? Especially since the lines of conflict aren't going to change much. That's a dangerous mentality for Ukraine. 

Ukraine has to be able to control the message to make it look as favorable as possible, so that their allies continue to be able to exhibit the political will necessary for Ukraine to have success. If Ukraine can get some kind of breakthrough this spring - it doesn't have to be the dramatic success of Kharkiv, it can be the steady progress of Kherson - then it will embolden the allies to continue to support Ukraine without caving into disastrous and destructive peace talks. 

Not to mention the whole chain of command thing. It's a big no no to simply go above your immediate superior with a complaint. Militaries depend on people following orders. I realize that's not a defense for every action, but if you don't obey orders there's a good chance there are going to be negative consequences. And there has to be in order for them to function. To go to a journalist with these types of complaints? The journalist is talking about what a great battalion commander he was, and he probably was, but a great battalion commander knows better than to go outside the system to air grievances, particularly in the middle of a fucking war, and PARTICULARLY where the conduct of that war is so dependent on foreign nations providing support. 

I certainly sympathize with the battalion commander sending poorly trained troops to their death. I cannot even imagine that. Maybe I'd do something similar about talking to a journalist if I felt their deaths were being caused by corruption or incompetence, and I had tried to address it the best ways I knew how within the chain of command. But I sure wouldn't want a pity party on my account afterwards, because I would know good and well what the consequences would be. And should be, frankly. 

At the very least the guy could have made an off the record comment about it. Not that that's better, but putting his name and face out there pretty much demands he be removed from his position. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

It's great to see the Excalibur rounds in play, but there was something else I noticed in that first video.  I can't recall seeing video feeds from that high of an altitude prior to this.  I wonder if this means the new recon drones we sent are in play.  Additionally, that entrenchment looks pretty nasty for the Russians and their artillery.  They are at elevation, well entrenched with tree cover, it's a good position.  Hopefully, the combination of the recon and these strikes can render positions like this useless for the Russians in very near future, it will certainly make a big difference when rolling in during an offensive.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

It's great to see the Excalibur rounds in play, but there was something else I noticed in that first video.  I can't recall seeing video feeds from that high of an altitude prior to this.  I wonder if this means the new recon drones we sent are in play.  Additionally, that entrenchment looks pretty nasty for the Russians and their artillery.  They are at elevation, well entrenched with tree cover, it's a good position.  Hopefully, the combination of the recon and these strikes can render positions like this useless for the Russians in very near future, it will certainly make a big difference when rolling in during an offensive.  

Both videos are labeled as the Leleka-100, the Ukrainian domestic UAV. It's still a good observation.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Woulda loved to be in the pub the day the British soldiers heard that.

I suspect the chuckling response would be "Pootie, if we ever decide we're going to Russia....there's not going to be anything you can do to stop us."  And then they'd say something silly about the king, which still confuses me, as I'm an old fucker and I've only known of the UK with a queen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Pshaw... That's a traffic jam?

Hello LA Thursday evening.

image.png.32aa771d86f5e78c6937c050aacb2d91.png

But a good contrast -- the net worth of just the people in that image is probably double that of the population of the Crimean peninsula (unless an oligarch happens to be there right now, which I doubt).

31 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Both videos are labeled as the Leleka-100, the Ukrainian domestic UAV. It's still a good observation.

It says that, but the released service ceiling for those are 1500 meters.  Of course I realize what's released and what is actual are two very different things, but that sure seems a lot higher than 1500 meters.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

It says that, but the released service ceiling for those are 1500 meters.  Of course I realize what's released and what is actual are two very different things, but that sure seems a lot higher than 1500 meters.  

Well, regardless, I liked your comments and felt they were very germane. I don't have the expertise to identify 1500 meters or to even guess with any degree of certainty from a video shot, and besides my spatial awareness is incredibly low. I especially appreciated you making the observations regarding the Russian positions and the importance of being able to neutralize those positions to have a successful counter offensive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1