Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

19 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Operating at a disadvantage since there "No US Navy Ships in the Black Sea".

image.jpeg.145fac47d0198661a255a0e8fbd9e6bd.jpeg

I highly doubt there are any US ships - including submarines - operating in the Black Sea. 

https://news.usni.org/2023/02/03/u-s-destroyer-operating-near-the-black-sea-for-first-time-since-russia-invaded-ukraine

"Turkey closed the Bosphorus Strait to warships on Feb. 28, 2022, four days after Russia invaded Ukraine. Since the closure, only warships with ports on the Black Sea, which includes Russia’s Black Sea Fleet and Turkish ships, can enter.

The last American warship to transit the strait was USS Arleigh Burke (DDG-51), which left the Black Sea on Dec. 15, 2021. The ship entered the Black Sea in November 2021 following a port visit in Bulgaria, USNI News previously reported."

The Bosphorus Strait is not a passage you can just sneak ships through. It's a big reason why the US puts up with all of Erdogan's antics.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 Democratic Senators and 3 Republican Senators issued a letter to defense Secretary Lloyd Austin asking for clarity regarding sending F-16 fighters to Ukraine. It was organized by Democratic senator Mark Kelly, who flew A-6E Intruder attack aircraft for the Navy before becoming an astronaut. The 3 Republican Senators listed are Murkowski, Tuberville, and Ted Budd of North Carolina.

I'm a little surprised to see Tuberville's name on there. I guess I have to readjust my opinion of him. Reluctantly. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/14/senate-defense-department-ukraine-fighters-00087051

Spoiler

DEFENSE

Senators from both parties press Austin on sending F-16s to Ukraine

Eight senators argue that modern fighters “could prove to be a game changer on the battlefield.”

Two Polish Air Force, Russian-made MiG-29's fly above and below two Polish Air Force, U.S.-made, F-16 fighter jets during an air show.

The conflict between Russia and Ukraine is "now at a critical juncture," the senators wrote, arguing F-16 fighters could give Kyiv an edge as Moscow's full-tilt invasion enters a second year. | Alik Keplicz/AP Photo

By CONNOR O’BRIEN

03/14/2023 06:24 PM EDT

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A group of senators from both parties is pressing the Pentagon for more information on what it would take to send F-16 jets to Ukraine.

The fresh push came in a letter Tuesday to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin from eight senators, and obtained by POLITICO, as top administration officials from President Joe Biden on down have poured cold water on bipartisan calls to send U.S.-made fighters into the fight for now.

The conflict between Russia and Ukraine is “now at a critical juncture,” the senators wrote, arguing F-16 fighters could give Kyiv an edge as Moscow’s full-tilt invasion enters a second year.

“After speaking with U.S., Ukrainian, and foreign leaders working to support Ukraine at the Munich Security Conference last month, we believe the U.S. needs to take a hard look at providing F-16 aircraft to Ukraine,” the senators wrote. “This would be a significant capability that could prove to be a game changer on the battlefield.”

The letter was organized by Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.).

The senators requested Austin provide them with assessments by the end of the week on a variety of factors needed to successfully transfer F-16s to Ukraine.

Among their questions, the lawmakers asked how high Ukrainian officials are ranking fighter jets when making requests for weapons and how the F-16s might be sourced if approved — either newly produced or from current inventories. They also sought the military’s assessment of what impact F-16s would have on the conflict and how quickly Ukrainian pilots could be trained on the jets.

The group hailed reports that two Ukrainian pilots came to the U.S. for a fighter skills assessment at Tucson’s Morris Air National Guard Base, in Kelly’s home state, which they called a “critical step in gauging” their readiness to fly F-16s.

Also signing onto the letter were Democrats Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, Tim Kaine of Virginia, Martin Heinrich of New Mexico and Jacky Rosen of Nevada as well as Republicans Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Tommy Tuberville of Alabama and Ted Budd of North Carolina.

Bipartisan efforts to convince the Biden administration to send F-16s, or facilitate other countries sending them to Ukraine, have been bolstered by assessments such as those of Gen. Christopher Cavoli, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Europe. Cavoli told lawmakers behind closed doors at the Munich Security Conference last month that sending advanced weapons, including F-16s and long-range missiles, could help bolster Ukraine’s defenses.

But top civilian officials, including Biden and White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan, say fighters aren’t an immediate battlefield need compared to other capabilities.

Pentagon policy chief Colin Kahl also defended the administration’s stance, telling the House Armed Services Committee last month that the most optimistic timeline for delivering older F-16s would be roughly 18 months, while producing newer jets could take three to six years to deliver.

“It is a priority for the Ukrainians, but it’s not one of their top three priorities,” Kahl testified. “Their top priorities are air defense systems ... artillery and fires, which we’ve talked about, and armor and mechanized systems.”

The Senate letter follows a bipartisan effort in the House, spearheaded by Maine Democrat Jared Golden, to convince Biden to send Kyiv F-16s or similar aircraft.

This is following a similar letter from the house, spearheaded by Jared Golden, which I was not aware of previously until I read about the Senator's letter. 

It was signed by 11 Democrats and 5 Republicans, including:

"Tony Gonzales and August Pfluger, both of Texas, Mike Gallagher of Wisconsin, Don Bacon of Nebraska and Rob Wittman of Virginia."

Spoiler

Jared Golden pushes for Ukraine to get F-16s soon

Maine's 2nd District Democrat is leading a bipartisan effort to convince President Biden to deliver modern fighters to counter Russia.

BY STEVE COLLINSSUN JOURNAL

One of the most vocal supporters of Ukraine’s bid to secure F-16 fighter jets to help defend itself against Russia’s invasion is U.S. Rep. Jared Golden, a Democrat from Maine’s 2nd Congressional District.

Golden is leading a bipartisan group of 16 lawmakers calling on President Joe Biden to “provide Ukraine with increased air superiority capability, including the F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft requested by Kiev, or similar fourth-generation aircraft, as soon as possible.”

“We believe now is the time for America to again lead the way and provide our allies in Ukraine with the tools necessary to defend their nation,” the 11 Democrats and five Republican lawmakers said.

“The provision of such aircraft is necessary to help Ukraine protect its airspace, particularly in light of renewed Russian offensives and considering the expected increase in large-scale combat operations,” the Feb. 16 letter told the president.

Biden told reporters after his recent meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Kiev that talk about F-16s between them was “a private discussion.” He hasn’t ruled it out.

White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan called it “a question for a later time.”

But Zelenskyy this week, in a speech to his country, said it is time for Western nations to get past their “aviation taboo” and deliver the planes Ukraine needs.

The backing of more aid to Ukraine comes at a time when the Republicans who control the U.S. House by a narrow margin are split on whether to boost aid or slice aid to Russia’s embattled neighbor.

Some GOP leaders criticize Biden for what they say is a lax pace in providing the aircraft while other Republicans insist the U.S. ought to focus on domestic issues instead.

U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Georgia Republican, said on Twitter this week that Americans “do not support the war in Ukraine at all and are very turned off with Washington for funding and pushing the war. We want peace.”

Since Russia launched its invasion a little more than a year ago, the United States has sent more than $75 billion in assistance to Ukraine, according to the German-based Kiel Institute for the World Economy’s Ukraine Support Tracker. That includes military and humanitarian help.

Golden, in his third term representing a Republican-leaning district, said last fall that the U.S. ought to begin training Ukrainian pilots to fly F-16s or other modern fighters. That hasn’t happened yet, at least in public view.

Now, though, with a renewed Russian attack on the horizon and bloody battles virtually certain along the long line cutting through Ukrainian territory that marks where both sides held out during the winter, military experts say new weaponry might make the difference.

In the letter signed by Golden and 11 colleagues, the lawmakers said that “F-16s or similar fourth-generation fighter aircraft would provide Ukraine with a highly mobile platform from which to target Russian air-to-air missiles and drones, to protect Ukrainian ground forces as they engage Russian troops, as well as to engage Russian fighters for contested air superiority.”

“In contrast to the current, ground-based air defense platforms currently used by Ukrainian forces, fighter aircraft’s ability to quickly traverse a large battlespace with a significant weapons payload could prove decisive for control of Ukrainian airspace this year,” they said.

“Providing Ukraine with fourth-generation fighter aircraft represents a sound strategic investment in bolstering Kiev’s military capability and bringing this conflict to a just conclusion,” the legislators wrote to Biden.

“American leadership on this issue is crucial,” the lawmakers said. “During the past year, the United States has consistently led the way for Ukraine to receive the military equipment necessary to defend itself against Russian aggression, including advanced air defense systems, armored fighting vehicles, and most recently tanks.”

“We believe that a U.S. willingness to provide F-16 fighters to Ukraine may well encourage our NATO allies and European partners to provide comparable fourth-generation fighter aircraft to Kiev,” they said.

Signing the letter with Golden were Democrats Jason Crow of Colorado, Chrissy Houlahan and Susan Wild, both of Pennsylvania, Jim Costa and Jimmy Panetta, both of California, Marcy Kaptur of Ohio, Abigail Spanberger of Virginia, Brad Schneider of Illinois, Elissa Slotkin of Michigan and Lloyd Doggett of Texas.

The five GOP legislators who signed the letter were Tony Gonzales and August Pfluger, both of Texas, Mike Gallagher of Wisconsin, Don Bacon of Nebraska and Rob Wittman of Virginia.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

UAF tankmen from the 95th brigade, one of the country's elite brigades, describe how they fire off an average of 100 rounds per day, sometimes 150, have destroyed a company of the enemies' tanks, and relay one encounter where they went up against 4 Russian tanks. 

"Expecting a fuckfest is worse than the fuckfest itself"

Put it on a fucking Tshirt.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

UAF tankmen from the 95th brigade, one of the country's elite brigades, describe how they fire off an average of 100 rounds per day, sometimes 150, have destroyed a company of the enemies' tanks, and relay one encounter where they went up against 4 Russian tanks. 

Warrior poet

2b2f68b7d49687c57d20fd48e7b646dc.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I had been wondering about that. All of the self-propelled guns I've seen mentioned as being transferred have been from our allies. It seemed like the Paladin was conspicuously missing. Glad to see that appears transfers of Paladin are planned/happening.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The boy is in uni in Glasgow, and has ended up with something of a focus in central and eastern european studies, so the war is a hot topic.  The latest drama from that realm was a flyer that was handed out on the street, including to some of the Ukrainian students (who did not take too kindly to it).  A pretty fascinating look at some of the deranged propaganda being pushed by the Kremlin (for example, did you know that the whole reason for this war is actually a NATO war of aggression to take over Russia to use it as a launching pad for an invasion of China?):

7b9592ad1ae08d08e269a947133284f8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I think I understand the difference between old school Soviet tactics and US tactics, now.

The Soviet way, you fire 100-150 shells to destroy 4 tanks.

The US way, you fire 4 shells and destroy 4 tanks.

Is that correct?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I think I understand the difference between old school Soviet tactics and US tactics, now.

The Soviet way, you fire 100-150 shells to destroy 4 tanks.

Is that correct?

Yeah, except we do it from out of their range, it's more fun that way.  As it turns out, being able to kill them with one shot before they can even shoot at you is a superior strategy.  That fucking Sun Tzu guy was full of shit man, he never mentioned that one.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Damn.  Real-deal badasses. 

And yea, "Expecting a fuckfest is worse than the fuckfest itself" is motto worthy.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

The Soviet way, you fire 100-150 shells to destroy 4 tanks, and kill a buncha civilians.

Is that correct?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Hot take:

Western support for this war is going to plummet if this banking contagion spreads and we fall face first into a recession.

I hope this UKR spring offensive brings the thunder. 

I mean, a recession is going to occur at some point. I don’t think economies are exactly rollicking along. And in the end we’re never eliminating the boom-bust cycle. The global supply chain keeps taking hit after hit, and a great deal of the global wealth of the world has been fueled in part by decades of Chjnese double digit growth, which doesn’t exist any more and frankly the US is concerned enough the tensions between the countries are going to create difficulties anyway. 

The truth is the people who either favor the Russian narrative for one reason or another, or who want the US to have limited international responsibilities in the first place, are always going to have a presence regardless. Either we have the political will to overcome that resistance or we don’t. 

And you say Western support, but the truth is this war has transformed European thinking dramatically. The Italian Prime Minister is still actively supporting the war even when her party leader is against it. Orban from Hungary is already making noises about the limitations of aligning himself with Russia. Poland is in the midst of building the largest armed forces on the continent. Germany is raising their defense budget significantly. The Baltic states are screaming “fuck Russia” in as many ways as they can think to say it. Finland and Sweden are joining NATO. Serbia has made noises about buying Western arms. 

I understand the concern, but beyond the fact I don’t believe there’s a bank contagion - there’s not the systemic issues with assets being held at an overinflated value that there was in 2008 - the only real issue in the West is the minority of Republican politicians pandering to the isolationist strain of the American body politic. That’s going to exist regardless of the state of the economy. 

The biggest issue in terms of Ukrainian support right now is the 2024 presidential election, and we’re simply too far out to see how that’s going to play out. But one thing I know for sure - like 100% sure - is the vote won’t be determined by support for Ukraine or not. 

That said, I’m hoping for breakthroughs as well. I’m not sure what to expect at this point, but I remain hopeful. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Hot take:

Western support for this war is going to plummet if this banking contagion spreads and we fall face first into a recession.

Regardless of recessions and bank issues, news is coming out where as a world we are in a more precarious position - Saudis are cheating the sanctions, China is increasingly helping Russia, Iraq is building nuclear capabilities, weapons stockpiles are depleting... Ukraine needs to move on the offensive sooner rather than later.

Looking very likely that Poland and Slovakia will be finally transferring MiG-29s within a few weeks. I don’t think either wanted to be out on a limb. Some context, the current government in Slovakia is facing September early elections and the guys in charge of Defense and the Prime Minister are facing nasty results. They believe strongly in this and so now is the time to say damn the political fallout. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c42363937620e3b76fd7958ee48955dd.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Hot take:

Don't really have to fall much.  

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

USS Enterprise gonna end up running over some Russian shit box.

Quote Boat GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I feel quite confident there will be no aircraft carrier in the Black Sea. From the US because they’re too invaluable an asset and the area is too dangerous. From Russia because they don’t have one that actually works. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

would we put some u.s. warship there?  some guided missile cruisers?  seems delicate. 

we don't need a carrier because we've got a thousand airstrips that are fine within range anyway, and there's no need to worry if the planes are carrier capable.  still tho, it'd be cool.

I feel quite confident we’re about to put a destroyer in there. 

Long ago we began phasing out guided missile cruisers, which is the type of ship I served on (William H. Stanley holla!). Even the Ticonderoga class was originally designated a destroyer. I don’t know if we’ll ever see a classic cruiser in the US Navy arsenal again. The destroyers have pretty much taken over that role. 

But the Arleigh Burke was in the Black Sea shortly before hostilities broke out and the Turks closed the strait to all warships from countries without a port there. 

A year earlier the Donald Cook was operating in the Black Sea when the Russians did a risky flyover in an SU-24 that gained some international notoriety. 

We’ll see what happens, but I bet one is on its way right now, which is why the Turks made the announcement. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1