Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I asked the same question.  An Il-76 would leave a hell of a lot of debris.  Debris that would look really impressive on the innerwebz as a propaganda victory.  We haven't yet seen either one.  So I'll believe it when I see it.

The fact we're backing up their claims tells me they probably did get them. I mean, you've seen how incompetent Russian air assets have been managed so far.

3 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

The fact we're backing up their claims tells me they probably did get them. I mean, you've seen how incompetent Russian air assets have been managed so far.

The fact that the Russians don't own the skies and appear unable to provide any significant air cover to their ground forces tells you they are losing a ton of air assets. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We did the exact same thing on Sunday.  We actually just finished up the 50lb bag of rice we bought the last time.  We just make sure we buy stuff we'll eat anyways.

We loaded up on beans, rice and pasta, along with canned goods. Probably two weeks that could be stretched to three. If shit goes sideways, I’ll fight the store for more to possibly double up.

18 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So we should be loading up on equity positions?

Selling in late January/February 2020 turned out to be a really bad move unless you also knew that the market would bottom in late March.

Oh I was definitely slow to get back.  Hell I never fully got back in.   Edit to say my post kind of went off in a tangent on equities I didn't intend.  It was really more of an example of that same fucking feeling in my gut I had 2 years ago that shits about to not be normal for a while.  I know others feel the same.  It sucks.

Edited by Skipper

We did the exact same thing on Sunday.  We actually just finished up the 50lb bag of rice we bought the last time.  We just make sure we buy stuff we'll eat anyways.

You can always do a survivor type challenge at home and see who lasts the longest on just rice

Stick it in the freezer for a bit to kill the bug eggs. Then put the bags in a plastic container with lid.

13 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

This is a good counterpoint.  Perhaps I just really, really wish I could see some Il-76 debris.  

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s a pretty mild one. No one is standing you in the dock at The Hague for it. It would be different if it was mistreatment or mocking. And the videos of regular citizens confronting them— yeah, that’s not a crime.

I have to believe that invading a country unprovoked and shelling civilian targets are higher priority violations than documenting and sharing a humanitarian act.

2 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I have to believe that invading a country unprovoked and shelling civilian targets are higher priority violations than documenting and sharing a humanitarian act.

I mean, I'd like to think it is humanitarian. But I got the feeling that soldier was under some pressure to say some of the things he did. 

• Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

I wouldn't quite believe Ukrainian officials.  Has there even been proof of the two IL-76s or all the fighter jets that were shot down?  The only pic I saw of fixed wing aircraft debris was definitely from a season other than Winter.

So it's apparent that the Russian plan was to capture Antinov airport with an airborne insertion, have the paratroopers hold it for the 18-36 hours necessary for the tanks to arrive, and then resupply the army attacking/occupying Kyiv through the airport.  And all of the supply failures that have followed have their root in the failure of the initial inability to take and hold the airport.

The rumor of the two downed IL-76s was from a second assault on the airport.  Either (1) there was no second assault on the airport, or (2) there was a second assault, and it was unsuccessful.  Given how critical the airport appears to be for Russian logistics, I think Option 1 is unlikely.  So that means that there was a second assault, and it was repelled.

And if there was a second assault, and it was repelled, that raises the question--why has there not been a third assault?  The only plausible option I can come up with us that the Russian have concluded that it would not succeed.  And one reason that would lead to certain failure is if the airport itself were heavily defended with MANPADS.

All of which does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that two IL-76s were shot down.  Maybe they were and the wreckage is behind Russian lines.  Or maybe they were just damaged and were able to return to Russia.  Or maybe there were no transports shot down at all and they just turned back.  Who the fuck knows.  

• Hook 'Em 7

23 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I asked the same question.  An Il-76 would leave a hell of a lot of debris.  Debris that would look really impressive on the innerwebz as a propaganda victory.  We haven't yet seen either one.  So I'll believe it when I see it.

Exactly...Il-76s are big planes, and with the amount of people sharing pics/video of everything, after 5 days, there's not a single post showing either crash site?  Could be that both crashed into remote areas/in bodies of water or where civilians can't access due to fighting, but point is, I'd put all the numbers coming out at somewhere between the Russian account and the Ukrainian account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Seriously, wtf us up with that.  All iron sights.  Can they really not afford some simple optics?

You didn’t hear? 

They all had a big meeting a few years ago and donated all that money to Putin and his buddies. 

2 hours ago, 27-25 said:

Hopefully this turns out to be a case of missing jet that sports new colors and is later seen flying over Kyiv.  The Ukrainians say, "We just found it.  It must have fallen out of the back of a truck".

Read elsewhere that the plane hasn't been found, but the helo they sent to look for it crashed in bad weather killing all 7 on board. Probably wouldn't have sent 7 guys up on a rescue mission if the jet was "lost" in Ukraine. 

18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Does Ukraine have anything that can hit Russian high altitude assets? 

The SA20s and s400 systems can.  Ukranian arms are Russian 20 years behind.  I'm not sure about our standoff AA that we sold them but I'm sure they can take them down.  Heavy bombers are slow as fuck our B52s go in with tons of radar jamming and absolutely air superiority

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Read elsewhere that the plane hasn't been found, but the helo they sent to look for it crashed in bad weather killing all 7 on board. Probably wouldn't have sent 7 guys up on a rescue mission if the jet was "lost" in Ukraine. 

Sorry.  I'll work on my joke delivery.

Putin, “sorry, I’d love to show you my defense budget returns.  But they’re under audit still.  And yes, I realize I am in charge of my treasury department and could have this expedited.”  

Potentially Martial law in Russia coming out of that meeting to squash news leaking out to their people about the "undesirable news" of the military's weaknesses/losses/aggression/etc., squash people complaining about even more, plus movement restrictions, and numerous other bad acts.

7 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Potentially Martial law in Russia coming out of that meeting to squash news leaking out to their people about the "undesirable news" of the military's weaknesses/losses/aggression/etc., squash people complaining about even more, plus movement restrictions, and numerous other bad acts.

Via https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/mar/02/ukraine-news-russia-war-kyiv-kharkiv-russian-invasion-vladimir-putin-joe-biden-latest-live-updates --

3h ago15:41

Pjotr Sauer 

Pjotr Sauer

The Russian Federation Council is set to hold an unscheduled meeting on Friday, leading to widespread speculation in Moscow that the country might impose martial law.

The introduction of martial law would give the authorities sweeping powers to limit freedom of movement and freedom of speech. Martial law has been introduced in modern Russia.

Tatyana Stanovaya, a prominent Russian political analyst and founder of R.Politik on Wednesday evening tweeted that introducing a martial law would be a “logical scenario.”

“The proclamation of martial law will allow the authorities to introduce military censorship, to increase the secrecy of the state’s activities and the actions of local bodies.”

With the introduction of martial law, the powers of elected bodies, local authorities and officials are automatically extended.

The last time an unscheduled meeting of the Federation Council was called, the body approved President Vladimir Putin permission to use military force outside the country, two days prior to the country’s invasion of Ukraine on February 24th.

The Federation Council said it will officially discuss on Friday a package of anti-crisis measures in response to Western sanctions.

Over 6,500 Russians have so far been detained across Russia during anti-war protests, according to the independent monitoring site OVD-Info.

Russia has also seen a widespread crackdown on its independent media since the start of the war. Yesterday, Russia’s prosecutor general ordered the country’s media watchdog to block the liberal Ekho Moskvy radio station and the last remaining opposition television channel Dozhd TV.

The Duma is also set to meet on Friday to discuss a new law that would punish “spreading disinformation about the armed forces of the Russian Federation in any military conflicts” with up to 15 years in prison.

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Is asking questions arguing? Have you been on a message board before? Do you not think discussion should be part of the dynamic? 

I will say you seem easily irritated. You do realize I’m not attacking you personally, don’t you?

Your questions are questions you’d ask of an idiot. Do you think I’m an idiot?  Do you realize asking 4 questions in 5 sentences is a cloak room tactic? I will say you seem like you aren’t interested in a genuine conversation, are you? 

saying Ukraine should make the second guy up visible in this war and saying they should start planning is a no brainer and yet you come at me with some of the dumbest questions I’ve seen in a while. So yeah, not interested. 

• Haha 1