2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

It’s official. 

Saw it announced on The Root

The Associated Press has called the South Carolina Senate race for incumbent oxpecker Lindsey Graham.

Despite Democratic challenger Jamie Harrison raising more money, increasing turnout and being a better human being than Graham, Donald Trump’s sentient anal bead managed to pull out a victory.

• Haha 1

Yeah. Dems not likely to get to 50. Biden likely wins and then Mitch is going to keep things locked down in the Senate for at least 2 more years like the last 2 years under Obama.  Good news is that in 2022 12 D seats will be up compared to 22 R seats. Maybe some things will get done then.

7 minutes ago, swraith said:

Democrats end up losing ground in the Senate if Peters in MI continues to trail James.

Not losing ground. Already flipped 2 against only 1 flipped- plus two shots in GA  in a runoff election- most likely. Worst case scenario (which I’d be pretty surprised about) would be same same as it was going into election. Things get really fucked up for GOP in 2022. 

17 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Without the Senate, what's the point? 

I can't believe this.

Seriously

Mcconnell’s hands went blue from all the high fives he’s received over the years in blocking democrats bills and stalling progress. The guy will be in his element and doing what he does best. He can’t come up with a bill that actually helps the American people in any meaningful way if his life depended on it.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Remember that Maine has ranked choice voting so if Collins falls below 50%, the 3rd party votes will use their 2nd ranked for Gideon or Collins. Probably a long shot but Collins could lose. 

Good call.  There's like 6.6% of the vote going for Ind's right now, so if Gideon could close some of the gap, there is a shot.  Unlikely as you say, but still a shot.

Looks like Peters is closing the gap in MI as well - down < 33,000 votes there - so I think there is a pretty good chance that he overtakes James before it's all said and done.

As for the setup of an R controlled Senate / conservative-dominated SC, it feels like this could be really bad news for the ACA.  I was hopeful that the Ds could take the Senate and put a reformed ACA right back on the table if the SC strikes the ACA down.  Now, I have real concerns that the ACA may actually die, which would be great news in the middle of a pandemic.  A lot of Trump voters would ending up reaping what they have sown in the case, but a lot of other folks would end up getting screwed as well.  Very 2020.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Remember that Maine has ranked choice voting so if Collins falls below 50%, the 3rd party votes will use their 2nd ranked for Gideon or Collins. Probably a long shot but Collins could lose. 

I was wondering this myself. You’d think Gideon would get like 95/5 ranked choice by Green Party voters. Not sure what the other 3rd party was. 

Hopefully the Democratic Party has learned their lesson and will stop presenting ex-military female cardboard cutouts to try and win Senate seats in typically red states. Hegar and McGrath's campaigns were fucking awful. How about promoting women that actually have good policy ideas and know how to play politics? 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Of our Toss Up races, 24-year veteran Maine Sen. Susan Collins was proclaimed dead by many Republicans privately, but as of now (6 AM) has 49.5 percent of the vote with about 1/3 outstanding. Democrat Sara Gideon is at 43.6 percent, and even if she got all of the second-place votes in ranked-choice voting from Green-party-aligned independent Lisa Savage, it wouldn't be enough. One has to expect Collins could get some second-place votes to put her over the 50 percent mark. This one remains a question mark, but the trajectory all night long looks far better for Collins. If this holds, this may be the one state that breaks from the 2016 tradition, with voters electing a senator of a different party than its presidential state result.  

I watched Tuberville's acceptance speech. I was hoping I could stoke some hatred in my heart as he did supervillain cackles.

Instead, he was just kind of dumb... and boring. As in, dumb and boring like some dumb boring uncle who keeps telling the same made-up story about WW2 except he doesn't even know he mixed it up with WW1, and it doesn't matter because you know the punch line, which actually didn't happen.

I hear you: "But RD, it's like totally normal that Ellabemma would like have a totally dumb and boring Senator because you guys are like totally dumb and boring, and like, dumb."

Well, no. We may be dumb. We are definitely crazy. But boring? We grow artisanal freaks like Sessions and Moore (too much sauce in that one) and if you stare deep into Luther Strange's placid frat boy cow eyes, you see leaping flames of hell and tortured souls screaming. They were all at least original.

But Tuberville? That's like just giving high office to some spud who came derping through on the interstate chuckling to Rush Limbaugh zingers. That's the kind of generic drifter I'd expect to get elected in Georgia or Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This thread needs more attention.. this is where the Democrats absolutely blew it. Not only did they not create a tidal wave they basically gave up ground. Incredible.

If they could not gain ground in this election, how in the world on they planning on doing it moving forward

Democrats went for 53+ seats when they should have focused on 50 plus a Biden victory.  Anything over that is gravy. That doesn't mean Harrison shouldn't run but PACs should have prioritized candidates better.

And pick better candidates. Maybe Beto would have refused but MJ should have been tossed aside. Politics is a tough business and people get screwed. Allowing the kid at the end of the bench get an at-bat is nice in t-ball but in the World Series you put your best team on the field. Abrams should have run in GA. She can still run for governor as senator.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Also, is there enough Ossoff vote in Atlanta left to force the main into a runoff? President is where all the talk is, but that would be an interesting side effect of ATL yet to count.

2 more huge failures of the democrats: GA senate results. I saw polls that had Warnock dangerously close to avoiding a run-off. I agree that almost no one predicted that last night but he was in the mid 40s in polls. He's showing at 32 right now. 

Loeffler is going to roll with a 15-20 point victory in January. The Dems might spend 100m trying to flip the seat over the next 2 months but yesterday showed us large amounts of money can't change people's mind.

6 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

If you’re dumb enough to vote third party for Senator, you’re dumb enough to not rank the other candidates. Susan gonna take this. Barf.

Crazy that Maine voters soundly rejected Trump but they went forward with Collins who always votes with Trump when it matters. She would only oppose Trump and McConnell when they don't need her. 

FYI, Republicans should also be pissed at themselves when it comes to the Senate. The Loeffler-Collins fight is creating a run-off when it may not have been necessary.  McSally may cost the GOP the EC votes for AZ.  And they're lucky that bad candidates like Collins, Ernst and Tillis survived.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

2 more huge failures of the democrats: GA senate results. I saw polls that had Warnock dangerously close to avoiding a run-off. I agree that almost no one predicted that last night but he was in the mid 40s in polls. He's showing at 32 right now. 

Loeffler is going to roll with a 15-20 point victory in January. The Dems might spend 100m trying to flip the seat over the next 2 months but yesterday showed us large amounts of money can't change people's mind.

The whole Senate slate save Mark Kelly was an abject failure by the DNC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Crazy that Maine voters soundly rejected Trump but they went forward with Collins who always votes with Trump when it matters. She would only oppose Trump and McConnell when they don't need her. 

FYI, Republicans should also be pissed at themselves when it comes to the Senate. The Loeffler-Collins fight is creating a run-off when it may not have been necessary.  McSally may cost the GOP the EC votes for AZ.  And they're lucky that bad candidates like Collins, Ernst and Tillis survived.

Same old story, congress approval in the shitter but re-election rates sky high

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Collins isn’t a bad candidate. You might not like her but she’s a great candidate. She won by 37 last time around and might be the only senator to go different than the presidential election in their state. That’s a great accomplishment in these times. It looks like we are looking at 70 out of 71 or something like that lined up in the last two presidentials. 
I actually think she will be pretty open minded and independent in reality with the set up the way it is. She and Manchin and Siena have a shit load of power right now. Add Murkowski to that list. Maybe Mark Kelly. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

How does it work in the North Carolina race... as in, does a plurality win you the seat or do you need a majority.

Looks like Tilis may not get a majority with l almost 3% going to the  Liberterian candidate.

Maybe sexty Cal lives to fight another day?

25 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

How does it work in the North Carolina race... as in, does a plurality win you the seat or do you need a majority.

Looks like Tilis may not get a majority with l almost 3% going to the  Liberterian candidate.

Maybe sexty Cal lives to fight another day?

Plurality.  Tillis only won 48.8% of the vote in 2014.