Tucker Carlson Tonight

atomheartbevo

59 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Isn’t that the mild version? Isn’t the truth that he also funded or perpetuated his drug habit by having unprotected sex with strange men, and ultimately exposed his wife to whatever disease(s) he was at risk of contracting? 

And in 2018, this is the top reason of how HIV is spread. 

Dershowitz of all peoplecalled him out on it to his face

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/media/tucker-carlson-fox-news-ad-boycott/index.html

25 advertisers now 

https://www.axios.com/advertisers-drop-tucker-carlson-immigration-comments-2333132c-2ecc-4f55-854f-937bb90d677c.html

and he’s down from 36 advertisers over 5 commercial breaks to 20 over 4 breaks.  

Isn’t that the mild version? Isn’t the truth that he also funded or perpetuated his drug habit by having unprotected sex with strange men, and ultimately exposed his wife to whatever disease(s) he was at risk of contracting? 

I think his wife was getting her chocolate starfish probed by an Aussie by that point so maybe she is safe.
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife talks a lot about the anger from the "the unimpressive man" and how that pathetically led to Trump's election.  Here is Fox News saying the same thing, but in a "woe is the unimpressive white man" way.  That channel is a cancer.

Also, what the fuck does the chryon "marriage increasingly a luxury for the rich" mean?  Only rich people have the ability to get married?

18 minutes ago, Stringer said:

My wife talks a lot about the anger from the "the unimpressive man" and how that pathetically led to Trump's election.  Here is Fox News saying the same thing, but in a "woe is the unimpressive white man" way.  That channel is a cancer.

Also, what the fuck does the chryon "marriage increasingly a luxury for the rich" mean?  Only rich people have the ability to get married?

The unimpressive man = Geriatric incels

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Is there a bigger pussy in the world than Tucker Carlson?

this sort of goes hand in hand with a post i made in the trump 2019 thread, but this is exactly what trump voters need.

they need the anxiety. they need to be afraid and to hate someone or something, preferably someONE. that can be a person (hillary clinton or barack obama or george soros) or it can much more intangible. 

but no matter what, THEY NEED to hate change. 

change is the biggest bugbear of them all. men in decline? fucking lulz. you know why he's saying shit like this? because me are getting caught and actually called out for grabbing em by the pussy. #metoo is a GOOD thing for society. women in stem and in executive roles is a net positive. diversity in the workplace is a great thing for the workplace. 

being afraid of progress means you are a coward. plain and simple. be afraid, tucker. be very fucking afraid.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

true but I also think that this rings with younger non college/"blue collar" white dudes who work physical jobs that grant them neither wealth nor status

Exactly. Tucker knows he's got the olds hooked. How do you attract a younger audience? Target the incels. 

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

this sort of goes hand in hand with a post i made in the trump 2019 thread, but this is exactly what trump voters need.

they need the anxiety. they need to be afraid and to hate someone or something, preferably someONE. that can be a person (hillary clinton or barack obama or george soros) or it can much more intangible. 

but no matter what, THEY NEED to hate change. 

change is the biggest bugbear of them all. men in decline? fucking lulz. you know why he's saying shit like this? because me are getting caught and actually called out for grabbing em by the pussy. #metoo is a GOOD thing for society. women in stem and in executive roles is a net positive. diversity in the workplace is a great thing for the workplace. 

being afraid of progress means you are a coward. plain and simple. be afraid, tucker. be very fucking afraid.

What's a bugbear?

• 3 weeks later...

Tucker's Carlson's about face on poverty

Interesting article on the growing economic populism within the right wing.  Tucker Carlson comes off sounding more like Elizabeth Warren than William Buckley (granted Tucker has never sounded like Buckley). 

America’s “ruling class,” Carlson says, are the “mercenaries” behind the failures of the middle class — including sinking marriage rates — and “the ugliest parts of our financial system.” He went on: “Any economic system that weakens and destroys families is not worth having. A system like that is the enemy of a healthy society.”

He concluded with a demand for “a fair country. A decent country. A cohesive country. A country whose leaders don’t accelerate the forces of change purely for their own profit and amusement.”

The monologue was stunning in itself, an incredible moment in which a Fox News host stated that for generations, “Republicans have considered it their duty to make the world safe for banking, while simultaneously prosecuting ever more foreign wars.” More broadly, though, Carlson’s position and the ensuing controversy reveals an ongoing and nearly unsolvable tension in conservative politics about the meaning of populism, a political ideology that Trump campaigned on but Carlson argues he may not truly understand.

I spoke with Carlson by phone this week to discuss his monologue and its economic — and cultural — meaning. He agreed that his monologue was reminiscent of Warren, referencing her 2003 book The Two-Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Parents Are Growing Broke. “There were parts of the book that I disagree with, of course,” he told me. “But there are parts of it that are really important and true. And nobody wanted to have that conversation.”

The criticism of Carlson’s monologue has largely focused on how he deviates from the free market capitalism that conservatives believe is the solution to poverty, not the creator of poverty. To orthodox conservatives, poverty is the result of poor decision making or a lack of virtue that can’t be solved by government programs or an anti-elite political platform — and they say Carlson’s argument that elites are in some way responsible for dwindling marriage rates doesn’t make sense.

But in French’s response to Carlson, he goes deeper, writing that to embrace Carlson’s brand of populism is to support “victimhood populism,” one that makes white working-class Americans into the victims of an undefined “they”:

Carlson is advancing a form of victim-politics populism that takes a series of tectonic cultural changes — civil rights, women’s rights, a technological revolution as significant as the industrial revolution, the mass-scale loss of religious faith, the sexual revolution, etc. — and turns the negative or challenging aspects of those changes into an angry tale of what they are doing to you.

And that was my biggest question about Carlson’s monologue, and the flurry of responses to it, and support for it: When other groups (say, black Americans) have pointed to systemic inequities within the economic system that have resulted in poverty and family dysfunction, the response from many on the right has been, shall we say, less than enthusiastic.

Ultimately, this is the part that struck me because fuck this guy:

Yet white working-class poverty receives, from Carlson and others, far more sympathy. And conservatives are far more likely to identify with a criticism of “elites” when they believe those elites are responsible for the expansion of trans rights or creeping secularism than the wealthy and powerful people who are investing in private prisons or an expansion of the militarization of police. Carlson’s network, Fox News, and Carlson himself have frequently blasted leftist critics of market capitalism and efforts to fight inequality.

I asked Carlson about this, as his show is frequently centered on the turmoils caused by “demographic change.” He said that for decades, “conservatives just wrote [black economic struggles] off as a culture of poverty,” a line he includes in his monologue.

He added that regarding black poverty, “it’s pretty easy when you’ve got 12 percent of the population going through something to feel like, ‘Well, there must be ... there’s something wrong with that culture.’ Which is actually a tricky thing to say because it’s in part true, but what you’re missing, what I missed, what I think a lot of people missed, was that the economic system you’re living under affects your culture.”

No fucking shit poverty affects your culture.  Now instead of that poverty being rural and spread out among varying levels of it, try stacking it on top of each other where that scarcity is readily apparent among everyone you encounter.  Watch how the desperation increases by orders of magnitude beyond what it was in the other setting.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Obviously I'm a big fan of economic populism, but the way bow-tie boy tries to make it about how bad it is that women entered the workforce is disgusting. It's like he can't just allow himself to have good opinions, he has to ruin them.

If you’re not just throwing the term economic populism around, and really mean it...that would help the rural rubes more than anyone else.  

Kind of ironic, they’re staunchly opposed.  Well, voting against ones owns interests is a time honored tradition, but with your posting style, picturing who economic populism would help the most just makes me laugh. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Obviously I'm a big fan of economic populism, but the way bow-tie boy tries to make it about how bad it is that women entered the workforce is disgusting. It's like he can't just allow himself to have good opinions, he has to ruin them.

He never makes the claim that women entering the workforce is bad. He talks a lot about declining real wage growth for blue collar types in his book. Another section of his book he talks about statistics showing men in the US have a lowered life expectancy, increased suicides and how in almost every metric that women are outperforming men. He never blames women for that or engages in misgoyny like his detractors think he does. He makes the point that even trying to talk about the issues facing men like with opioid addiction and suicides is met with hostility by many as witnessed by these “gotcha” type Tweets aimed at the uninformed.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

15 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

He never makes the claim that women entering the workforce is bad. He talks a lot about declining real wage growth for blue collar types in his book. Another section of his book he talks about statistics showing men in the US have a lowered life expectancy, increased suicides and how in almost every metric that women are outperforming men. He never blames women for that or engages in misgoyny like his detractors think he does. He makes the point that even trying to talk about the issues facing men like with opioid addiction and suicides is met with hostility by many as witnessed by these “gotcha” type Tweets aimed at the uninformed.

The fact that he compares men trends against women trends betrays the suggestion that men ought not to fair more poorly than women.  He could have simply noted the decline, sorted out causes, etc, but he felt he needed to slip in an anti woman ingredient.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If you’re not just throwing the term economic populism around, and really mean it...that would help the rural rubes more than anyone else.  

Kind of ironic, they’re staunchly opposed.  Well, voting against ones owns interests is a time honored tradition, but with your posting style, picturing who economic populism would help the most just makes me laugh. 

Where I come from is different than where I am.

the duality of man, the jungian thing, sir

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’d love it if Trump decided not to seek a second term and Tucker ran with a platform talking about the issues he is raising. It’d win a lot of regular people over and give the Party a real ideology and world view again.

The party does have a real ideology: support capital at the expense of everything else. That's it. Everything else is a cynical attempt to get votes.

Here's another good screed on the topic.  National Review

"Shapiro writes that populists on the right largely agree with the Marxist Left that “human failings are the result of private property–based economic systems; therefore, private property–based systems must be destroyed.” The traditional conservative position on “markets” has always been one of guarded appreciation for private property, mixed with a little suspicion for commerce and wage slavery. In fact, the traditional conservative position regards ownership of goods as a form of trusteeship and tends to despise those “owners” who greedily extract all the value from a resource in the present if it destroys its future value for posterity."

From that same article:

"

Bahnsen writes: “Carlson wrongly chooses to assign blame for the decisions people make to macroeconomic forces, instead of focusing on the decisions people make and the microeconomic consequences people absorb.”

To those who object to Carlson along these lines I would ask: At what point can we actually move on from the subject of personal responsibility and onto governance? Or, to put it another way, are there any political conditions in which the advice to be virtuous and responsible aren’t the best counsel you could give an individual?

It seems that it would be just as true to say these things in Russia during the post-Communist period, which saw soaring substance-abuse problems and plunging life expectancies. Then as now, the best advice you could give an individual Russian man was not to drink until his liver failed and he died. You could advise Russian women not to abort so many of their children. You could advise people to go back to church. All that would be salutary and more practically useful than having them wallow in elite failure. But none of that advice is inconsistent with political reflection and action for building a more flourishing society."

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

I believe that clip is from 2018... No need to clean up what you've spent the last years disregarding 

It's been recirculating according to Russia Today.

Fox likes to take Dr. West out of context, too, and they have more than one article where they use his words to slam Obama.

• 2 weeks later...