New Years Eve and Day traditions/plans

thrillhammer

What do you got?  Menus, cocktails, tv, entertainment, etc?  What do you usually do, what will you be doing this year?

I usually pop the champagne around 10 nye, and then have another bottle on nyd.   nye for me revolves around flipping channels between all the nye shows on tv, watching any and all bowl games that are on, and checking out the fireworks from my balcony. should be nice fireplace weather this year too.   I'm undecided what I will make for a nice meal that night.  have in the past done prime rib, fried oysters, etc.  Am thinking this year might be pulled pork with spicy cole slaw.

nyd is black-eyed pea dip, great for bowl games. usually fried oysters too, but uncertain about the meal that day also.  need to come up with something special for the sugar bowl that night.  

Chill at home with the wife and kid on NYE.  Nice dinner, thinking NY Strips, baked potato, sautéed spinach.  Good bottle of wine.  Hopefully get some ass and be in bed a little after midnight.

NYD-  black eyed peas, cornbread and collard/turnip greens.   Watch football and Twilight Zone marathon on syfy.   One of the best days of the year IMO. 

• Like 1

Shoot off a shitton of fireworks with kids, friends and neighbors from 7 until midnight with a big finale. Everyone makes a lot to eat. Go to bed about 1.

I'll be in Colorado this year and I don't think they'll let me take the fireworks onboard. So me and the kids will watch whatever fireworks show they put on in created butte then go to bed and ski the next day.

29 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I long for the days of ringing in the New Year by losing to Alabama 38-0.

Losing 38-0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> losing after the LBer intercepts a pass and instead of falling down to kill the clock, tries a return only to fumble it away back to Clemson and end up losing 14-13. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Peach_Bowl_(December)

My family adopted a tradition that some close friends of ours had (they are Columbian/Italian, but I'm not sure the origin).  Everyone gets 12 red seedless grapes (usually in a ziploc bag) and at 11:59 you eat all 12 before midnight.  Supposed to bring good luck of some such thing.

Black-eyed peas are primed for tomorrow. I'm going to get some legit peas next year and hang on to at least a quart. 

Has anyone else sat around in the evening and shelled peas? So redneck. 

I would go gather dandelions for greens, but I would be the only one to eat them. Collards, or mustard, or spinach, or turnip or whatever I can find. 

Cornbread in an iron skillet. 

Whatever pig or bird or cow is left is going to be wrapped in a tortilla and called a taco.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 4:42 PM, pops said:

I hate going out on NYE. Fucking amateur hour. 

No truer words.  You couldn’t pay me to go out on New Years Eve.  Over priced, crowded, get th B team working so shitty service and a bunch of fucking yahoos who don’t get out but once a year and don’t know how to act.  Pass.

• Like 1

No truer words.  You couldn’t pay me to go out on New Years Eve.  Over priced, crowded, get th B team working so shitty service and a bunch of fucking yahoos who don’t get out but once a year and don’t know how to act.  Pass.

Stayed home and drank a few nice bottles of wine. Loved it.
  • Like 1

Just now, thrillhammer said:

that looks like you checked all the boxes - cabbage, collards, black-eyed peas, cornbread.  i did it up in similar fashion, except my cabbage was in the form of cole slaw on pulled pork sandwiches.  

Yep.   Greens were a collard/turnip/mustard trio.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 11:12 PM, pops said:

20181231-210703.jpg

The steak looks perfect, but what the fuck kind of steak voodoo is going on here? That is the most perfectly cylindrical eye of a ribeye that I've ever seen in my life. It's either that, or you let it sit on top of a coffee can for like an hour.  

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

The steak looks perfect, but what the fuck kind of steak voodoo is going on here? That is the most perfectly cylindrical eye of a ribeye that I've ever seen in my life. It's either that, or you let it sit on top of a coffee can for like an hour.  

Dude... That is crazy. Didn't notice that. No coffee can sitting.