Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

8 minutes ago, retread said:

image.png

Well, we had a good run.

This is basically all I see in the Republican party now.  Boomers and older who remember fighting against the Civil Rights era, lost, and have resented the indignity of sitting next to black people in restaurants ever since.  They finally feel free they can act on their decades-old grudge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

you're fucking kidding me. the entire premise of the blue collar comedy tour is to appeal to mouthbreathers. 

The entire premise of the blue collar comedy tour is to collectively make a shitload more money for those comedians than they would get in their solo acts playing to smaller audiences and charging far less for ticket prices.  

Which goes along with what you’re saying.  

A close friend is a petroleum engineer who spends most of his time consulting on oil rigs around the world.  He was in the Bakken a couple of summers ago, and for some reason Larry the Cable Guy came and lived on site for a week.  Apparently he's a really sharp, nice, down to earth guy who is happy to do his act wherever and whenever, but he doesn't exactly advocate for his audience's political and social perspectives.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Csb: my dad played 18 holes with Ron White at Barton Crrek and had no clue who he was. Someone had to tell him after the round. 

How do you go 18 and not at least ask a member of the group, "so where you from, what do you do" "how's business?".  just seems like it may come up naturally at some point in 4+ hours .

Edited by jdhorn92

IT WOULD BE almost embarrassing for Donald Trump at this point if Robert Mueller were to declare that the president isn’t an agent of Russian intelligence.

THE PATTERN OF his pro-Putin, pro-Russia, anti-FBI, anti-intelligence community actions are so one-sided and the lies and obfuscation surrounding every single Russian meeting and conversation so consistent that if Donald Trump isn’t actually hiding a massive conspiracy than the alternative is almost worse: The United States elected a president so oblivious to geopolitics, so self-centered and personally insecure, so naturally predisposed to undermine democratic institutions and coddle authoritarians, and so terrible a manager and leader that he cluelessly surrounded himself with crooks, grifters, and agents of foreign powers that he’s compromised the national security of the United States government and undermined 75 years of critical foreign alliances merely to satiate his own ego.

In short, we’ve reached a point in the Russia probe where there are only two scenarios left: Either the president is actively compromised by the Russian government and has been working covertly to cooperate with Vladimir Putin after Putin helped win him the 2016 election—or Donald Trump will go down in history as the world’s most famous “useless idiot,” as Communists used to call those who could be co-opted to the cause without realizing it.

At least some media are seeing the Forrest for the trees... link

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Does god hate humor or something?

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh.

Voltaire

The greatest line ever spoken about God and man. My favorite quote. Applicable every minute of every day, my friends.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This. Even the rurals are capable of laughing at themselves.

22 minutes ago, CO Horn said:

I don't think so.  Have you seen the Q thread on TexAgs?

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

TexAgs isn't the working class rurals.

Hee Haw and much of (good) country music is self effacing. So many country entertainer stories are something like, "Well there I was with the Queen sayin' howdy, so I bowed over and my damn wig came off and got stuck in the buckle of her shoe! We just plain people. I finally got the wig untangled and she said she liked the show."

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Hee Haw and much of (good) country music is self effacing. So many country entertainer stories are something like, "Well there I was with the Queen sayin' howdy, so I bowed over and my damn wig came off and got stuck in the buckle of her shoe! We just plain people. I finally got the wig untangled and she said she liked the show."

There's a good conversation to be had about capitalism murdering genuine and authentic regional culture. Turning country music and humor into a mass market, nationwide product completely changed it, making it a product for white people specifically instead of something that simply came from a predominantly-white area.

Whither the sad transition of Ray Stevens's career.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

A Somali group attacked Nairobi to protest America’s support for Israel?  This is the geopolitical equivalent of the NCAA sanctioning Boise State to punish USC.

1. Kenya is a close ally of the US. Perhaps the closest in Africa.

2. Kenya is right next door to Somalia.

3. Kenya is the most stable democracy in Africa.

4. That hotel is one of the few places where Americans and other Westerners stay when they come to Nairobi.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

There's a good conversation to be had about capitalism murdering genuine and authentic regional culture. Turning country music and humor into a mass market, nationwide product completely changed it, making it a product for white people specifically instead of something that simply came from a predominantly-white area.

Whither the sad transition of Ray Stevens's career.

Steve Earle Broke it down pretty good. "Modern Country music is just R&B for people that are scared of black folks"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

A close friend is a petroleum engineer who spends most of his time consulting on oil rigs around the world.  He was in the Bakken a couple of summers ago, and for some reason Larry the Cable Guy came and lived on site for a week.  Apparently he's a really sharp, nice, down to earth guy who is happy to do his act wherever and whenever, but he doesn't exactly advocate for his audience's political and social perspectives.

Back in the early 90's I listened to Z-Rock which was the local Austin grunge radio station.  Larry the Cable guy was on for a 3 or 4 minute segment  during rush hour every Thursday.  He had a different act than what he blew up doing, but he was funny doing that thing on Z-Rock.  I was excited to see him when he got famous but if he didn't sound exactly the same and have the same name I would've never known it was the same person.

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse
your mom

1 minute ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Back in the early 90's I listened to Z-Rock which was the local Austin grunge radio station.  Larry the Cable guy was on for a 3 or 4 minute segment  during rush hour every Thursday.  He had a different act than what he blew up doing, but he was funny doing that thing on Z-Rock.  I was excited to see him when he got famous and he didn't sound exactly the same and have the same name I would've never known it was the same person.

It was a brilliant strategy, he did this for dozens of markets and when he got big nationally he had a built in radio audience that considered him somewhat of a local guy. 

32 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Is Heeaw on?

Is Hee Haw on?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Murdered all that regional culture that existed back before the U.S. was capitalist. 

Democrats have bashed McConnell for abdicating responsibility by refusing to line up votes, but he has not budged. The big question is this: Why has McConnell, whose primary motivation has always been protecting Senate Republicans from negative publicity, hung his fellow senators out to dry on the unpopular shutdown and opened them up to widespread criticism?

It’s true that McConnell cares deeply about the electoral fates of his GOP colleagues. But he also cares about his own. And Mitch McConnell is up for re-election in 2020.

McConnell’s major problem is that, in Kentucky and across the country, he is not particularly likable. He is among the most unpopular of America’s senators, with just a 38 percent approval rating, according to the most recent poll from Morning Consult. That’s actually an improvement over last year, when McConnell ranked as the most unpopular. But that’s still well below Trump’s 55 percent approval in Kentucky, per the same polling outlet.

In 2017, after McConnell publicly clashed with Trump, a poll put the majority leader’s approval rating in Kentucky at 18 percent. Just 37 percent said they’d like to see him re-elected in 2020.

It’s probably the case that McConnell doesn’t fear losing to a Democrat in next year’s elections. Or, at least if he does, it’s a manageable fear — though, the longer he drags out an unpopular shutdown, the more conceivable it becomes. But overriding a Trump veto, crossing him in such a public way, could bolster a primary challenge.

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/15/mitch-mcconnell-government-shutdown-reelection/

When you think about it, McConnell is a far more evil and consequential figure than Trump.  Basically - Trump:McConnell::Jar Jar Binks:Emperor Palpatine

Edited by Fozzz

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

1. Kenya is a close ally of the US. Perhaps the closest in Africa.

2. Kenya is right next door to Somalia.

3. Kenya is the most stable democracy in Africa.

4. That hotel is one of the few places where Americans and other Westerners stay when they come to Nairobi.

this is all true and it really pisses me off because thats a great hotel

40 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/15/mitch-mcconnell-government-shutdown-reelection/

When you think about it, McConnell is a far more evil and consequential figure than Trump.  Basically - Trump:McConnell::Jar Jar Binks:Emperor Palpatine

In other words Benedict Mitch is an evil piece of shit and deserves to go down in history as even fucking worse than president McNugget. 

Quite the legacy Mitch. Wish I believed in hell so you could rot in it. Instead I believe you will be reincarnated as a shit eating fly in your next life, actually contributing something useful to society in that case.

• Like 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

In other words Benedict Mitch is an evil piece of shit and deserves to go down in history as even fucking worse than president McNugget. 

Quite the legacy Mitch. Wish I believed in hell so you could rot in it. Instead I believe you will be reincarnated as a shit eating fly in your next life, actually contributing something useful to society in that case.

That's life #3. He'll come back as a honeybee, only to get killed by Monsanto pesticides.

I knew Kentucky was a piece of crap state given its corrupt basketball programs but damn, having both McConnell and Rand Paul as your senators? Maybe they should yank Sandusky out of prison and Paterno out of his grave to represent them next.

Let’s build a wall surrounding Kentucky from the rest of us. I’ll vote for that. 

• Like 1

Gee, imagine that.

I don't blame T-Mobile for doing this; if I were an exec needing approval for a merger with the DOJ, I would have done it as well.  What bothers me is the fact that this opportunity presents itself daily in DC, and nary a peep from the GOP.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-place-i-feel-very-comfortable-t-mobile-executives-seeking-government-approval-for-merger-stayed-at-trumps-hotel-repeatedly/2019/01/15/6a114d3e-142c-11e9-b6ad-9cfd62dbb0a8_story.html?utm_term=.6072cfb4ba11

Last April, telecom giant T-Mobile announced a megadeal: a $26 billion merger with rival Sprint, which would more than double T-Mobile’s value and give it a huge new chunk of the cellphone market.

But for T-Mobile, one hurdle remained: Its deal needed approval from the Trump administration.

The next day, in Washington, staffers at the Trump International Hotel were handed a list of incoming “VIP Arrivals.” That day’s list included nine of T-Mobile’s top executives — including its chief operating officer, chief technology officer, chief strategy officer and chief financial officer, and its outspoken celebrity chief executive, John Legere.

The executives had scheduled stays of up to three days. But it was not their last visit.

Instead, T-Mobile executives have returned to President Trump’s hotel repeatedly since then, according to eyewitnesses and hotel documents obtained by The Washington Post.

By mid-June, seven weeks after the announcement of the merger, hotel records indicated that one T-Mobile executive was making his 10th visit to the hotel. Legere appears to have made at least four visits to the Trump hotel, walking the lobby in his T-Mobile gear.

These visits highlight a stark reality in Washington, unprecedented in modern American history. Trump the president works at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Trump the businessman owns a hotel at 1100 Pennsylvania.

Countries, interest groups and companies such as T-Mobile — whose future will be shaped by the administration’s choices — are free to stop at both, and to pay the president’s company while also meeting with officials in his government. Such visits raise questions about whether patronizing Trump’s private business is viewed as a way to influence public policy, critics said.

Last week, a Post reporter spotted Legere in the Trump hotel’s lobby. In an impromptu interview, the T-Mobile chief executive said he was not seeking special treatment. He chose the Trump hotel, he said, for its fine service and good security.

“It’s become a place I feel very comfortable,” Legere said. He also praised the hotel’s location, next to one of the departments that must approve the company’s merger.

After The Post published a version of this article online Wednesday, a Democratic member of the Federal Communications Commission — which would have to approve the merger — tweeted her concern. “This does not look good,” Commissioner Jessica Rosenwo rcel wrote, making note of the report.

Later in the day, Legere used Twitter to respond: “Wow - A lot of attention on where I choose to stay in DC,” he wrote, continuing, “I trust regulators will make their decision based on the benefits it will bring to the US, not based on hotel choices.”

The VIP Arrivals lists obtained by The Post — in which Trump hotel executives alerted their staff to foreign officials, corporate executives, long-term guests, Trump family friends and big spenders — provide an inside look at some of the hotel’s customers. The Post obtained lists for about a dozen days in 2018.

Those lists showed 38 nights of hotel stays by the T-Mobile executives; because The Post’s data is incomplete, the number could be higher.

Rooms at the luxury hotel routinely cost more than $300 per night.

The Post shared details about those stays — gleaned from the VIP Arrivals lists and eyewitness accounts — with T-Mobile and the Trump Organization. Neither challenged the findings. After Legere’s brief interview at the Trump hotel, T-Mobile declined to comment further for this report.

Trump’s hotel also has hosted parties put on by the Kuwaiti and Philippine embassies, rented hundreds of rooms to lobbyists paid by Saudi Arabia and hosted a large meeting of the oil industry’s lobbying group. 

But the T-Mobile case stands out because the company’s executives were expected at the hotel so soon after announcing they needed a win in Washington.

Legere, the T-Mobile chief executive, also had a history with the president.

But it wasn’t a good one.

“I will obviously leave your hotel right away,” Legere wrote on Twitter in April 2015, during a public spat that began with complaints about Legere’s stay at a Trump hotel in New York and escalated when Trump called T-Mobile’s service “terrible.”

Later, Legere mocked Trump’s hotels after checking out. “I am so happy to wake up in a hotel where every single item isn’t labeled ‘Trump,’ ” he wrote, according to news coverage. Those tweets appear to have been deleted.

Three years later, on the day after the Sprint merger was announced, Legere was scheduled to arrive at the Trump hotel in Washington.

11 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

This shit is so infuriating. 

You know he probably doesn't believe Puerto Rico is a part of the United States.  Oh, I have no doubt people have told him that it is, but he's a stubborn dumbfuck.

Edited by Francisco 2.0