Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

You said a lot of words, but your first sentence shows that you're still missing the point. 

Let's skip your clumsy analogies and get to the point: over decades we have set up an economy in border states and perhaps beyond that relies on illegal labor, and in turn, welcomes and even financially encourages illegal immigration.

And then on the other hand we have politicians looking to demonize them all as criminals for cheap political points. 

Do you see the point being missed? 

That, in a nutshell, is the complexity of the issue. 

I don't understand how any person of any reasonable intelligence could fail to see the social, economic, political, and legal complexities in this issue. "Wall!" is not the solution. "Wall, just try it, what can it hurt?" is just a colossal jerk off session. 

It's beyond time that we face the truth and realize we need a lower-skill guest worker program to do all the shitty labor we haven't done as Americans for the last 6 decades. 

What you’ve written is not untrue, it’s just one-sided. If we are going to play the “political points” game, we can trot out minorities, gays, bathrooms, Catholica school kids, etc. from the other side of the aisle too. If you think that Hillary Clinton gives two shits about a black gay couple trying to get married, you need your head checked. 

To use an earlier counterpoint against your argument, we setup an economic system based on slave labor that was very successful for 100+ years. We’ve reversed course completely and added both laws and an Amendment to further blacks as equal citizens in this country. I think that we can both agree that the ground still isn’t level. (Without getting into why we think it’s not) Still, the life as a black person in 2019 is far greater than that of a black person in 1800. 

My point is that you can use this argument to argue in either direction. One, we had existing laws that worked for the vast majority of the country to build the foundation of this country which was thriving, so why change? Second, changing course gave berth to an even greater society from a humanistic standard, even if it’s not a perfect solution. How do you know that Americans won’t do the work if the pay is for a living wage? Isn’t that capitalism? The job needs to be done so I have to be competitive in what I offer or else my business will suffer. 

I would amend your statement that Americans are too proud to consider those jobs because they have been demonized as being below standard. It’s an honest living for an honest day’s pay. Wouldn’t that work in favor of unemployment wages/benefits? Or help towards homelessness? What excuse would an American have that there is no work, even if it’s a bridge between jobs? If employers' hands are forced to pay a higher wage rather than the market illegal labor provides that could be a distinct reality. You want proof? Be a waiter in America and then go work at a restaurant in Europe. It's night and day in status and earnings despite Americans needing to sing for their supper for less money.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

WTF?  Are you high?

Current estimates, based on a few sources I checked, is that the cost of illegal immigration is $116 billion per year. If our fiscal standard is one (1) year, or this has become a recent issue, you would have a point. Every 8.5 years, we add an additional $1 trillion to our national debt that we have no mechanism to recover without raising taxes on legal Americans. (Who are also paying for border security with or without a wall already)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

Current estimates, based on a few sources I checked, is that the cost of illegal immigration is $116 billion per year. If our fiscal standard is one (1) year, or this has become a recent issue, you would have a point. Every 8.5 years, we add an additional $1 trillion to our national debt that we have no mechanism to recover without raising taxes on legal Americans. (Who are also paying for border security with or without a wall already)

Those taxes go up on illegals, too. Just sayin'.

4 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Then I guess we shouldn't have cut taxes for top earners that come out to $2.3 trillion over 10 years!

16 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL @ these Trump supporters that wanna turn on him now.  WTF did you expect, you stupid motherfuckers?  This is exactly who you supported.  He fucked over any group he could and you were fine with it, but after missing a couple paychecks, you pieces of shit decide you've had enough?  LOL  

Fuck all of you. 

Blow it up! Blow it up!

OK, its blown up. How does that feel?

The blow up is hurting the wrong people!

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I am nearly 100% bought into this shitshow.  I want to see Donald storm Congress and demand his SOTU address, and then see Nancy flip the breaker.  Oh please Dear God let this happen.  America is fucked anyway, might as well go down swinging.

I'm hoping for some real "Stand your ground" action.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am nearly 100% bought into this shitshow.  I want to see Donald storm Congress and demand his SOTU address, and then see Nancy flip the breaker.  Oh please Dear God let this happen.  America is fucked anyway, might as well go down swinging.

My only regret is that George Carlin is not here to see this and comment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

What is the source of this? Is this based on similar assumptions you have made, including all illegal immigrants make $100,000 per year while paying $0.16 in sales tax?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Interesting 

He will give the speech in Senate chambers. No democrats will show up and the Republicans hands will be become blistered as they do their best to emulate North Korean citizens watching their dear leader propagandize them. 

CNN/MSNBC will claim we've hit a new low. Fox will jiz their pants as the "libs are being owned". 

Normal Americans will be sad at the State of our Union, unfortunately a feeling as familiar to us as breathing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i mean, no big deal, but maduro is ending relations with the US. this is actual incredible news, and actually, pushing on maduro is the best thing trump has done as president.

I tend to agree, but as a guy that was born and raised in Corpus, I know how important CITGO is to the local economy. Hopefully those jobs are somehow protected and don't become collateral damage in this. I figured if they could survive Chavez, they could survive any despot, but Maduro might be proving me wrong. 

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i mean, no big deal, but maduro is ending relations with the US. this is actual incredible news, and actually, pushing on maduro is the best thing trump has done as president.

But isn't Trump effectively joining other leaders in starting a diplomatic coup? I admit to not being well versed on the Venezuela situation. 

4 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

It's a racist symbol...why? Is no one is advocating for a wall to the north because Canada is predominately white or because the borders are much more secure? You don't try to stem a problem to be polite, culturally sensitive or PC. The vast majority of illegals are from Mexico and Central America that enter through the US-Mexican border. It would only be racist if this wasn't a looming issue. 

Narrator: Its not a looming issue. Ergo...

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

But isn't Trump effectively joining other leaders in starting a diplomatic coup? I admit to not being well versed on the Venezuela situation. 

I likewise am not very well versed in the Venezuela situation, but what I've read today in the NYT and elsewhere is that Maduro was not legitimately elected and this new guy is a more legitimate leader based on the corruption of Maduro's election. If the existing government is not legitimate, then there cannot really be a coup. I despise Trump, but I think this is a good step forward for the long suffering Venezuelan people.