Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

I think everyone is overlooking how incredibly bad a civil war will be for the bottom line of the collection of billionaires out there. Foreign wars, they'll line their pockets to the brim. War at home? That will severely diminish the worth of billionaires across the globe. Mitch isn't profiting from a civil war. Ol' Rupert isn't profiting from a civil war. The more Trump goes into the deep end of the civil war pool, I think the more we will see his true base of financial support diminish. Their goal was to put Trump in so Trump would leverage policy even more in their favor, not to shut down the system. The cracks are already starting to form in the Fox News platform.

That's not to say that Trump hasn't already set certain things into motion that cannot be undone now. But if something were to escalate to the scale of say, the OKC bombing, I think that would be enough for both sides. It would end there. The nation is already domestically "war weary" due to the mass shootings. You start having innocent people die from open, militant rebellion, I think that gets shut down real quick.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hey, I’ve been calling this shit since I realized he was going to win (before he’d even won the nomination). You know, the ledge and all that.
And you should be afraid. More people are going to die (I say “more” because they already are - check in Charlottesville and El Paso etc).

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/169880-Death-Throes-of-the-Republic

We were so much older then,  we're younger than that now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We’re wayyyy too fat and lazy to fight each other.

This is a big part of it m. In an actual civil war, things like the power grid, interstate transport, etc. are going down first.  

Which means Trumpkins won’t be able to charge their Rascal scooters and iPhones, and they won’t be able to get their insulin.  

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

There’s not going to be any civil war, get a grip 

Trump has done irreparable harm to every institution of our republic. It woukd take a transformative president to undo that shit and we've had like 3 of them in our history.  Just an  adequate president like a Truman or an Eisenhower won't be enough to stave off total societal collapse within the next 2 decades. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

There’s not going to be any civil war, get a grip 

i don't man. i feel the war is raging right now. i have no idea what it will look like eventually. no one does. 

i can tell you this - keeping everyone and everything in line Nov 2020 is going to be a fucking challenge. we better hope they get his ass out of there now (versus then)

Trump has done irreparable harm to every institution of our republic. It woukd take a transformative president to undo that shit and we've had like 3 of them in our history.  Just an  adequate president like a Truman or an Eisenhower won't be enough to stave off total societal collapse within the next 2 decades. 

You know, this isn’t all that different from stuff that Biden has faced in his times. Let me tell you about a guy named Corn Pop.
  • Like 1

Can someone give the cliffs notes version of the basis of these “defamation” claims?

I haven’t followed that particular part of this mess. That said, my hypothesis is that Schiff did NOT attribute false quotes/words to DOTUS. I would presume that Schiff was speaking about what logical inferences could be drawn from the call memo, etc., which is, of course not at all the same thing as “making up words and pretending that I said them when I didn’t”.

How close am I?

Just now, scottsins said:

Can someone give the cliffs notes version of the basis of these “defamation” claims?

I haven’t followed that particular part of this mess. That said, my hypothesis is that Schiff did NOT attribute false quotes/words to DOTUS. I would presume that Schiff was speaking about what logical inferences could be drawn from the call memo, etc., which is, of course not at all the same thing as “making up words and pretending that I said them when I didn’t”.

How close am I?

Schiff and essentially paraphrased the call and used some mob-speak to convey what Trimp

• Like 1

This is what he said:

Mr. Schiff said the transcript, “reads like a classic organized crime shakedown. Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the president communicates. We’ve been very good to your country, very good. No other country has done as much as we have, but you know what, I don’t see much reciprocity here. I hear what you want. I have a favor I want from you, though. And I’m going to say this only seven times, so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent understand the loss of it on this and on that.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scottsins said:

How close am I?

In his opening statement, Schiff went through the call and used some mob-speak and humor to explain why what Trump was saying was asking for a quid pro quo.  He wasn't purporting to quote Trump when doing so and it was clear that he was paraphrasing to communicate the gist in understandable terms.   He also said "this is the essence of what the president communicates" before diving in, and ended with "This is the sum and character of what the president was trying to communicate." 

I would say that it was unnecessary, and maybe a mistake, except it's thrown Trump even more off his rocker, so it was probably a good move. 

11 minutes ago, scottsins said:

How close am I?

Pretty much spot on.

Somebody explain to Schiff the difference between parody and satire. 

And then somebody explain to Trump the difference accusing one of treason and being treasonous yourself.  

Then deliver a large receptacle of defecatory materials to Capitol Hill and the White House and make them consume every last bite.  Eat a bag of shit, as it were....

Edited by Lobo

Schiff states “this is the essence of what the president communicates.”  It’s an interpretation that is supported by the larger context of events that he’s trying to explain and help people understand.

This should be pretty easy for Schiff to explain using other words than “parody” or ignore all together.

And about the “seven” times Trump leaned on Zalensky, it’s true that’s not reflected in the version Trump released.  So maybe we need to see the original for comparison, right ?  RIGHT ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Maybe next session Schiff can pantomime a scene from 'Good Fellas' through interpretive dance. I wish people would stop pretending that wasn't an embarrassingly horrible idea. 

Yeah, people having a different opinion than you means we are pretending, because your opinion is the only right one. 

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yeah, people having a different opinion than you means we are pretending, because your opinion is the only right one. 

Sure, reading fantasy literature in a congressional hearing when the reality is exponentially more profound is an infallible strategy. 

I disagree with the notion that Schiff’s bit was an error. I think it’s exactly the kind of trolling he should do of Dotus. He’s better suited to be out front on this than Nadler, and the more he can get the media and Trump focused on him and not the Biden angle the better. 

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It was an incredibly bad move by Schiff, but it was (as he said during the testimony) "parody".

He should have known he was giving Trump something to focus on, making it easier to deflect attention away from the Maguire's testimony.

You realize the President has used the "I was joking" defense multiple times when people read his upsetting or possibly illegal qoutes back to him?  Goose meet Gander.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not fantasy literature.  It was a rhetorical device to make a point, and Schiff labeled as such.   You know, the kind of thing you're doing when you exaggerate it as being "fantasy literature" or "an infallible strategy."   And it's triggered Trump into calling for Schiff's arrest, which is furthering his spiral out of office. 

Stop being so scared of what Republicans will think.   What Schiff did was fine.  

In addition to there be nothing wrong or dishonest about Schiff's summation, Trump lies to the American people on a daily basis. 

• Like 1