Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

13 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

At this point, the Dems should just throw the Bidens under the bus.  Go to great lengths to point out that yes, Hunter was receiving this money for influence.  This was illegal and and a felony.  Make sure everyone agrees Rs and Ds.  Then hammer the point home on all the illegal pay for favor that everyone in the Trump family is doing.  Shirley, some one on the Trump team is pointing this out...that they may want to cool it with going down this path.

It's too late.  The impeachment process has started, and with a focal point of Ukraine (for now), the Bidens are pretty much all Trump has in that area, because Trump relies on both sides arguments.

Look at Miller yesterday - being asked a simple question by Wallace, and trying to steer it to the Democrats.

7 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I 100 percent was referring to Russia. He's definitely provided aid and cover for Putin/Russia and since Russia attacked our election process they are, IMO, defined as an enemy.

I may be off here, but I'd suggest that it's hard to consider a country an "enemy" while still engaging in trade and conforming to explicit trade agreements between the two.  Up to an entering WW2, President Roosevelt slashed trade activities with both Japan and Germany to essentially zero.  I agree that Russia's attack on our election systems should be seen as a modern "act of war", but until the US cuts of trade and diplomatic relations with Russia, they're not an "enemy".

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I may be off here, but I'd suggest that it's hard to consider a country an "enemy" while still engaging in trade and conforming to explicit trade agreements between the two.  Up to an entering WW2, President Roosevelt slashed trade activities with both Japan and Germany to essentially zero.  I agree that Russia's attack on our election systems should be seen as a modern "act of war", but until the US cuts of trade and diplomatic relations with Russia, they're not an "enemy".

There is no need to do a deep dive on a post that says the behavior checks off the “Benedict Arnold boxes.”

4 minutes ago, Chooky said:

[Reading a transcript from the president in a 1940's criminal cadence] 

[Reaching over to shake Brickhorn's hand and he gets shocked by a device I hid in my palm] 

[Ride a unicycle back to my podium and juggle bowling pins] 

Honestly no one gives a shit about the Schiff thing. When people have the conversation about the President’s call, no one (other than desperate GOP reps) talk about how the read out was characterized by a committee chair in a hearing with the acting director of national intelligence. 

“Hey, did you hear about the President committing crimes?

-Yeah, that’s bad, but did you hear that a Congressman talked about the crimes in a stupid way? That’s the *real* problem.”

• Like 2

Look, I know some of you are gun shy after years of Republicans making hay with every little thing that a Dem says that could possibly be construed in a negative way.    But being bland and studiously uncontroversial isn't the solution.   Republicans don't do that, and that's why they get away with much worse.   Dems do, and that's why people fall asleep during their public statements and complain that they aren't more interesting. 

Anyone who watched Schiff knew exactly what he was doing and wasn't misled.   Anyone who didn't and isn't already a Trump nut isn't going to give a shit about what Adam Schiff did.  Worst case scenario is that some people hear the talking points and think this whole thing was made up by Schiff, and then they hear what the actual "transcript" says and realize the talking points are lies.  Like Kevin McCarthy on 60 minutes. 

Just relax.   Trump is dead to rights on this.  The "transcript" refutes every misdirection to what Schiff or anyone else supposedly did. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We'll disagree here. 

Roosevelt also wasn't committing treason to aid Germany and Japan. All trade should have been cut off between America and Russia after their attacks on the election but of course weren't because the newly elected President and his political party were the ones who committed the treason. 

1 hour ago, DigDug said:

At this point some attention needs to be turned to @jack

The president is constantly floating ideas of execution of his accusers and rivals and now the idea of a civil war.  His account needs to be suspended or completely shut down.

If you or I were constantly posting messages about killing our classmates or co-workers, our account would be reported and shut down.

Having a Twitter account is NOT some right you have that is protected by the constitution.  

Trump has genuinely crossed lines that will directly lead to violence, more violence actually, and twitter helping him fuel it.

I disagree. When a criminal wants to talk, you let him. Everything he says is potential evidence against him or those in his circle. The worst thing you can do in a criminal interrogation is leave the room or turn off the mic.

He's fucking batshit.

And the GOP and their sycophants are fine with it.

For the billionth time, imagine if any one of those statements had been made by Obama.  We'd have full-on fucking meltdowns.  And, you know, we fucking SHOULD.  

The fucking GOP is not just not in favor of the rule of law, they actively oppose it.  Fareed Zakaria was spot-on a few days ago:

Add to this the rising reality of tribal politics — the sense that each of us is on a team and that our team is always in the right. Tribalism is the enemy of institutions, norms and the rule of law. After all, the whole point of the rule of law is that it applies to everyone, friend and foe. In a recent book, “When Crime Pays,” Milan Vaishnav showed that politicians who have been charged with a crime are more likely to win elections in India. In tribal politics, people actually celebrate leaders who break the law because they supposedly do so to help their tribe.

Political parties used to act as gatekeepers and norm-setters, keeping out populists and demagogues and forcing their members to adhere to certain rules. But parties are old-fashioned institutions, unable to stay strong in an age of entrepreneurial politics. Politicians can now raise money and gain a following through direct appeals to the public, using social media to exploit the very anger and emotion that parties often used to moderate.

The key enabler of American populism has been the Republican Party. The movement’s rise began with Newt Gingrich’s assault on the old Republican Party of George H.W. Bush and Bob Dole, which he pilloried as weak and accommodationist. It is further enabled today by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who was willing to violate norms on something as important as a Supreme Court nomination simply to serve the Republican agenda.

In his 1960 study of American politics, Clinton Rossiter declared: “No America without democracy, no democracy without politics, no politics without parties, no parties without compromise and moderation.” American democracy today desperately needs the GOP to uphold democracy rather than feast on its destruction.

The GOP is waging active warfare against the Rule of Law and the continuing existence of a functioning Republic.  They are the most potent and dangerous anti-American movement since WWII.  And....they're winning.  Frankly, I don't think there's any recovery from this.  They've blown enough holes in the hull that the only question is when we finally slip beneath the waves, not "if."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SameSame said:

We've said it hundreds of times, but how anyone supports this unhinged lunatic is beyond me.

Remember those tiger-striped workout pants? Those people had children and now we're here. We shouldn't have ignored those pants. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Fair or not, we need Hillary Clinton to keep a low profile over the next year. Nothing good will come from her increasing her presence during the primary or general election.

I disagree. It doesn't matter. No one is changing their vote based on anything Hillary does or says over the next year. 

2 hours ago, SameSame said:

This statement is what you should be focused on, not Schiff's.    Trump is the one completely misrepresenting what happened and what Schiff said.   Schiff did not say he was quoting and his essence statement was 100% accurate.

Of course this is just more shit Trump throws against the wall along with the hundreds of other piles of shit.

It was a mistake to do anything other than quote the damn thing 100% accurately.  Schiff should know the idiots on the other side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deech said:

It was a mistake to do anything other than quote the damn thing 100% accurately.  Schiff should know the idiots on the other side.

No, it wasn't. The rhetorical point was strong and accurate. And it was needed for your average dumb voter to understand the implications of Trump's actions. Trump was going to bitch no matter what. We shouldn't let his bitching control how we present the narrative. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Strong disagree. Fox knows their viewers. There’s a reason they still mention her so often

Their viewership is unpersuadable. Di Niro has the right reaction to anything Fox News.

We all need to stop pretending this rock solid ground is made of eggshells. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Strong disagree. Fox knows their viewers. There’s a reason they still mention her so often

That doesn't make sense. They're already voting for Trump. They're already hearing anti-Hillary commentary on a regular basis. But if Hillary would just shut up, maybe they'd vote Dem in 2020? I don't think so. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

No, it wasn't. The rhetorical point was strong and accurate. And it was needed for your average dumb voter to understand the implications of Trump's actions. Trump was going to bitch no matter what. We shouldn't let his bitching control how we present the narrative. 

Why give the other side a talking point?   The transcript itself was bad enough. 

You make it out like there is some mass of dumb voter who is going to make their mind up based on the Committee hearings.  The only people paying attention are people who all likely read the transcript already.   You are 100% right Trump will bitch no matter what..  What will motivate his base is stupid shit like ginning up the transcript when you don't need to.   The appearance of objectivity/reasonableness matters IMHO and is more important than trying to explain things to dumb voters.

28 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is the Trump I like.

Big guys gave me a special award. They were crying! Big, strong guys were so sad to see what the Democrats are doing to this country.

They keep saying "Sir, you are the greatest we've ever seen, Sir! Best Soldier Ever!  All these big soldiers crying."

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we (as a country) need to stop referring to this as "the transcript".

it was a 5 page summary of a 30 minute conversation.  when we call it "the transcript", we gloss over the fact that there is an actual transcript, locked away in a server where it shouldn't be.  it needs to constantly be pointed out that this isn't the transcript, because people will forget how big of a deal the code-word server situation is.

that server also contains other calls that were locked away for political reasons, not national security concerns.  putin is already pushing back on conversations in there.  this is a big deal, and needs to stay in the news.

Agreed - the summary of the call.  The transcript is likely 100X worse.