2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

15 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Weather channel just showed another wall cloud live in El Reno.  Good Lord.  Why would anyone live near that place.   Always getting hit 

I live a few miles from El Reno, I don't remember it being that bad until 2013 or so. 

CSB/ Got home from work about 5:20 last night, wife says the storm is supposed to hit at 5:45 or so. I go back to change clothes and take a dump. As I'm shitting, the tornado sirens go off. I rolled the dice and finished my shit, the storms moved north of us. Can't wait till tonight, wonder what the weather has in store?

Our weather in brief:
- Soupy today, but things pick up tonight.  Line of storms (some could be severe, esp. northeast ATX region) coming through, hit/miss, mostly hit, overnight.
- Thursday, the front kind of poops out and sits on us, making dinural (i.e. sun-heated) afternoon storms likely hit/miss.

More later if/when applicable.

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I live a few miles from El Reno, I don't remember it being that bad until 2013 or so. 

CSB/ Got home from work about 5:20 last night, wife says the storm is supposed to hit at 5:45 or so. I go back to change clothes and take a dump. As I'm shitting, the tornado sirens go off. I rolled the dice and finished my shit, the storms moved north of us. Can't wait till tonight, wonder what the weather has in store?

you sure the sirens were for the tornado?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=b06d2326cf3a65cb&source=ogs&authuser=0

Posted 12 minutes ago
...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 145 PM CDT FOR CENTRAL
TARRANT COUNTY...
At 107 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located over Lakeside, or near Lake Worth, moving east at 35 mph.
HAZARD...Tornado and golf ball size hail.
SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.
IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree damage is
likely.
This dangerous storm will be near...
River Oaks and Sansom Park around 115 PM CDT.
Saginaw, Blue Mound and Haslet around 125 PM CDT.
Haltom City around 130 PM CDT.
Watauga and Richland Hills around 135 PM CDT.
Bedford, Hurst, Colleyville and North Richland Hills around 140 PM
CDT.
Fort Worth, Arlington, Grand Prairie and Euless around 145 PM CDT.
Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include
Westover Hills.
TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
HAIL...1.75IN

Since these bad storms are nearer to us (ATX) today, thought I'd catch up...

For selfish reasons, this is why I guess we're lucky that the big high over the SE U.S. has been around... it's served as a forcefield (in every correct sense of the word) to cause storms to either go up and around Texas or simply vanish when they hit the dome of sinking air.  Since this high is now weakening and being eaten slowly by the lows marching up to it, the storms naturally are closer to us and now threatening DFW.   One reason this pattern consists of really bad storms every day is the downside of the high - although it's acted to "protect" us, it's domed in some really warm air, warmer than normal.  And these lows are pulling down some pretty cold air (remember it's snowed another good foot in the last week in some of the Rockies of CO and WY).  That mixture, that much separation of cold and hot, is usually very bad.  And so it is here.

DFW will have to skirt the tornadic stuff today, although I think most of it will be on the northern counties of it.  By the time this dry line (now) can get to or near Austin, it'll be later tonight, which will mitigate the huge difference in air masses, so likely reduce the chances for tornadoes... in fact the risks for us are very low.

However... with systems being this strong up and down the line, I can see easily that a cell or two near us can act up and start rotating.  Not likely, but possible, south of DFW tonight.  I'll keep an eye on it.

Very nasty stuff.

I think this first wave of storms is calming things down in the Metroplex... another big band of rain and wind coming in, but classic line pattern now, plus that first line cooled the levels of the air, so I see lotsa rain but for now tornado threat in parts that have already had first wave go by is low.  However in the counties east, threat is higher as that air is very moist and warm, and easily suspect to rotational storms.

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I think this first wave of storms is calming things down in the Metroplex... another big band of rain and wind coming in, but classic line pattern now, plus that first line cooled the levels of the air, so I see lotsa rain but for now tornado threat in parts that have already had first wave go by is low.  However in the counties east, threat is higher as that air is very moist and warm, and easily suspect to rotational storms.

exactly like your mother

On 5/28/2019 at 7:49 PM, Post Oak said:

Is that true?  It can't be.  That's criminally negligent

It's true.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Umm. Why?

See below.  But really, I have no idea.  You figure any town with a population greater than 100 that's within 1000 miles of tornado alley would have sirens, but we don't.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:13 PM, Surly Bevo said:

It’s Abilene....nothing worth saving

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Isn’t there an Air Force base there?  They have their own weather people, surely they’d have some sirens up.  

2 hours ago, Hate said:

There are no sirens...and stop calling me Shirley.

It's on a need to know basis.

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Survey of the Lawrence/Linwood tornado

https://www.weather.gov/eax/28May2019_Tornadoes

dat_path.PNG

Teal=EF-0

Green=EF-1

Yellow=EF-2

Orange=EF-3

Red=EF-4

A mile wide at its widest with 170 mph winds.  On the ground for just short of 32 miles.  18 injuries, no deaths.

A tiny jog to the left and it goes straight through the middle of Lawrence.  A tiny jog to the right and it hits Eudora and DeSoto, two towns with about 5,000 people each.  If it stays on the ground another five miles it is plowing right into the western edge of KCK.

Update:
So the overnight storms were pretty much right on forecast - except when they hit the really moist air east of Austin, they dumped almost 4" of rain on Bastrop and Caldwell Co's, and South Austin (Brodie/Slaughter) and Buda caught almost 2".  The rest of us between .25" and .5", I'll take it.

For tonight, the "2" of the "1-2 punch" of rain events with this system, it boils down to one thing... where the front (that went through to trigger this rain) is later tonight when another small disturbance moves through. Most models have kept the front well south of us (earlier ones had it backing up through Austin overnight).  If it does stay south, we'll get almost nothing - and like it - or if it drifts north, we'll get as much or more rain.  That front will be the firing line for thunderstorms.  Radar out front will tell ya tonight.  Zero hour around or just before midnight again.  Right now looking drier than wetter for us, more SAT and south.

A chance for a little more on Friday, then dries out for a few days before rain returns mid-next week.  1st 1/2 of June remains forecast to be wetter and slightly cooler than normal.  We'll see (remember normal now is 90°).

Moar tonight if necessary.

On another topic, posted without (much) comment except to say I get that you don't get a lot of chances to pick out your local tornado for your engagement selfie, but man I'm not sure this is real good timing now, when so many tornadoes have been ripping thru the country.  Anyway, 2 storm chasers wanted to get one for their announcement.  Whateverz...

D7sWlrgX4AAn3nQ.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Update:
So the overnight storms were pretty much right on forecast - except when they hit the really moist air east of Austin, they dumped almost 4" of rain on Bastrop and Caldwell Co's, and South Austin (Brodie/Slaughter) and Buda caught almost 2".  The rest of us between .25" and .5", I'll take it.

For tonight, the "2" of the "1-2 punch" of rain events with this system, it boils down to one thing... where the front (that went through to trigger this rain) is later tonight when another small disturbance moves through. Most models have kept the front well south of us (earlier ones had it backing up through Austin overnight).  If it does stay south, we'll get almost nothing - and like it - or if it drifts north, we'll get as much or more rain.  That front will be the firing line for thunderstorms.  Radar out front will tell ya tonight.  Zero hour around or just before midnight again.  Right now looking drier than wetter for us, more SAT and south.

A chance for a little more on Friday, then dries out for a few days before rain returns mid-next week.  1st 1/2 of June remains forecast to be wetter and slightly cooler than normal.  We'll see (remember normal now is 90°).

Moar tonight if necessary.

Got drenched at Slaughter/Manchaca area. 

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

On another topic, posted without (much) comment except to say I get that you don't get a lot of chances to pick out your local tornado for your engagement selfie, but man I'm not sure this is real good timing now, when so many tornadoes have been ripping thru the country.  Anyway, 2 storm chasers wanted to get one for their announcement.  Whateverz...

D7sWlrgX4AAn3nQ.jpg

Dude on the left got plowed.

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

D7sWlrgX4AAn3nQ.jpg

Guy couldn't pass up the opportunity with a Gloriole in the view.

Guest Lobo

I mean, I know they're from the Great Plains states and it can't be easy to be gay there.  But years later, they are not gonna like this announcement photo---the guy is wearing horizontal stripes with workout shorts and black shoes that look to be from his last shift at Applebee's.  Nevermind his "Guy at Soda Fountain" in a rerun of the Andy Griffin show haircut.  

I wish them the best, but they're just mailing in the outfits at this point...

D7sWlrgX4AAn3nQ.jpg

If things don't work out, they can point to the disaster in the background as foreshadowing.

• Like 2