2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Welp, it took me 3 hours to get from Kirby/Main to the Heights. Had to go all the way south to bw8 just to get on a freeway, and then took 288 back north to i10. I10 was closed, so had to find a place to cross white oak bayou. All roads were flooded. Finally went up to 610, went east to i10, made a u turn the  went 610 west to yale

definitely white knuckled a lotta water. By far the most harrowing drive ive made in my 33 years on this planet

My God, you are only 33??? I could have swore you were an angry, bitter, get off my lawn 73 year old
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

7 hours later, I'm finally home. 

At one point, every exit on the Beltway from 59 to Generation Pkwy was blocked off because the entire frontage road was flooded with multiple cars stranded. 

White Oak Bayou looked like it did during Harvey.  It felt like no matter where you tried to go, there was a random flood in a neighborhood or street. 

Crazy nuts. 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Welp, it took me 3 hours to get from Kirby/Main to the Heights. Had to go all the way south to bw8 just to get on a freeway, and then took 288 back north to i10. I10 was closed, so had to find a place to cross white oak bayou. All roads were flooded. Finally went up to 610, went east to i10, made a u turn the  went 610 west to yale

definitely white knuckled a lotta water. By far the most harrowing drive ive made in my 33 years on this planet

Wait a minute, "Lake 288" was Ok to drive?

Water was flooding all of the surrounding streets around our office around 1 or 2. The rain let up for an hour or so and everything receded pretty quickly. They told us to go home around 4 and the drive from the Beltway to I-10 West was amazingly smooth. Sounds like it was much worse going East or South.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is on the front-page of Weather.com, not sure where it's at.

spacer.png

That's looking west from the footbridge across I-10 just west of TC Jester. The bridge in the distance is the diagonal railroad overpass.

Was MUCH worse there during Allison. 

https://goo.gl/maps/b4Mh3ZEpZR1j4WCM7 

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Probably already covered, but I'm not going back several pages...

What a shitshow by HISD.  I thought parents were pissed over Knoxville not letting out one year during a 2-inch snow....  What was the super/school board thinking?

What exactly did HISD do? 

The event was crazy nuts because 6 inches fell in 1 hour (giggity) according to Jeff Lindner.  I mean, sure, you could blame HISD I guess, but then you'd also need to blame other school districts, community colleges, universities, and companies/corporations in downtown as well. 

The crazy part is just last night every weatherperson was saying that the bayous could handle what Houston was about to get because they were so low.  Cut to 12 hours later, and it's damn near Harvey like over the city.  

One of the reasons I got stuck was because I went out at 8am to workout because the radar said it wouldn't get bad until around 10 or 1030am.  The problem is, it got bad an hour earlier and for longer than people thought.  

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What exactly did HISD do? 

The event was crazy nuts because 6 inches fell in 1 hour (giggity) according to Jeff Lindner.  I mean, sure, you could blame HISD I guess, but then you'd also need to blame other school districts, community colleges, universities, and companies/corporations in downtown as well. 

The crazy part is just last night every weatherperson was saying that the bayous could handle what Houston was about to get because they were so low.  Cut to 12 hours later, and it's damn near Harvey like over the city.  

One of the reasons I got stuck was because I went out at 8am to workout because the radar said it wouldn't get bad until around 10 or 1030am.  The problem is, it got bad an hour earlier and for longer than people thought.  

I guess I would err on the side of caution.  From what I could gather on Twitter, most of the districts around Houston closed yesterday.  Sure, it probably wasn't going to be this bad.  Problem is, if,on the 10% chance it gets to worst case scenario, you're putting a lot of kids in danger.  

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

I guess I would err on the side of caution.  From what I could gather on Twitter, most of the districts around Houston closed yesterday.  Sure, it probably wasn't going to be this bad.  Problem is, if,on the 10% chance it gets to worst case scenario, you're putting a lot of kids in danger.  

I wouldn't say most. The districts NE and SE of Houston closed because that's where the radar said the storms would linger. Those are your typical flooding areas around Kingwood, Lake Jackson, Galveston area.  Why would HISD close because those districts closed when it wasn't expected to do anything but rain a little in the city?  And I don't consider anything east of Barbers Hill "Houston area" and they closed for sure because that area and out near Winnie got nearly 30 inches. 

As I said earlier, this surprised a lot of people because it wasn't expected to do this.  The college where I teach closed the campuses on the NE side of Houston early, early this morning.  Every other campus was open.  But then it started and people were seeing how bad it was getting, and every 30 minutes we'd get an email saying another campus was closing, then another, then another before the entire community college system was closed no matter where you were in town.  

• Like 1

You must have just beaten it Swayze. My wife abandoned here car on Memorial between Waugh And Montrose right at 4PM. Hope it didn't go up much more. Her friend was 5 or 6 cats ahead and made it through to Waugh but one car between them hesitated and stalled and that was it.

image.jpg

Looking east toward downtown

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I had my camera with me but I am just so goddamn sick of flooding in Houston and all the bullshit that goes with it that I didn’t attempt to shoot quality shots like I did with Harvey. Fucking over this shit.

I sorta jokingly asked on my fb today, so why do people live in Houston? Half got ticked off at me and blah blah it’s our home blah blah. Yeah I get it, but this shit happens all the fucking time now. Aren’t people sick of dealing with it? Yes it sucks that people’s homes are damaged, but fuck I would be so sick of dealing with it. Others agreed with me and questioned themselves why they continue to live there. 

15 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I sorta jokingly asked on my fb today, so why do people live in Houston? Half got ticked off at me and blah blah it’s our home blah blah. Yeah I get it, but this shit happens all the fucking time now. Aren’t people sick of dealing with it? Yes it sucks that people’s homes are damaged, but fuck I would be so sick of dealing with it. Others agreed with me and questioned themselves why they continue to live there. 

I have a good job. Otherwise I wouldn't live here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

$$$$$$$

I waded 4 miles from an abandoned car today to pick up my son at daycare, then walk him home. Just to make sure he wouldn’t be stuck with parents stranded and have to spend the night at daycare. 

It was unnecessary. Houston started drying up and my wife was home 90 minutes after us with just slow traffic . 

Today fucking sucked. Bad. But if I have to do this once a year for what Houston gives us, it’s not even a question. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Thank god I’m leaving. Over this and it’s getting worse. 

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I waded 4 miles from an abandoned car today to pick up my son at daycare, then walk him home. Just to make sure he wouldn’t be stuck with parents stranded and have to spend the night at daycare. 

It was unnecessary. Houston started drying up and my wife was home 90 minutes after us with just slow traffic . 

Today fucking sucked. Bad. But if I have to do this once a year for what Houston gives us, it’s not even a question. 

My wife took 2.5 hours to get to daycare (Shepherd/I10 area) from her work in the Galleria area. I got home in 35 minutes by taking BW8 & 290 back from west Houston.

I have a work meeting at UT tomorrow and with HISD cancelling classes, she's gonna be stuck at home alone with two toddlers until I get back at 7. Yeesh.

4 minutes ago, whoopspat said:

My wife took 2.5 hours to get to daycare (Shepherd/I10 area) from her work in the Galleria area. I got home in 35 minutes by taking BW8 & 290 back from west Houston.

I have a work meeting at UT tomorrow and with HISD cancelling classes, she's gonna be stuck at home alone with two toddlers until I get back at 7. Yeesh.

Yeah. Our daycare is cancelled. My wife’s job is not. We will be flipping a coin in the AM.