2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

None of them are the best because no one has any idea what is happening with the weather anymore.  Seriously, look at the last month or so.  Every weather person and app has been saying NEXT WEEK is when we break out of this hellhole summer, but noooooooo.  Never happens.  This is the new normal motherfuckers.

None of them are the best because no one has any idea what is happening with the weather anymore.  Seriously, look at the last month or so.  Every weather person and app has been saying NEXT WEEK is when we break out of this hellhole summer, but noooooooo.  Never happens.  This is the new normal motherfuckers.

“Next week is the big week.”
All of our forecasters are April and Billy. I’m sure Louie Anderson’s involved somehow, too.

Up in 78759, got the Sunday morning rain, a light shower this morning, and then a stronger 5-10 minute shower this afternoon. Nearest rain gauges to me generally show between a quarter and a third of an inch. So basically as much rain as had fallen since June. Nice to see even if it is ultimately marginal.

As for the "cooldown," Days 8-10 on the ten day have been in the 80's for weeks. Notice it never gets any closer. We are beyond above average right now - 95 degrees in late September is fucking scorching relative to average. Even those temps on the horizon are above average for the most part. It's been a really fucking hot September. Hoping we get some relief but I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by gmr548

• 2 weeks later...

And this may be just the first round for DFW, more later tonight until the squall line forms solid (then becomes more of a straight line wind threat.)  Enhanced Risk for NE TX, southern OK, much of AR, and southern MO.  Highest risk of tornadoes along the Red River.

Another possible tornado on the south end of the Metroplex.

Edited by clapclapclap

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Went just north of us (here on the north east part of Lake Highlands).

I guess you aren't too far from me. Just got back from Eatzi's and said "Were gonna lose power in a few minutes". I heard it pass through, saw some electrical shit going down in the vicinity of Love, and then heard the winds pick up. No joy, I think it went north. I had started to move inside anything that could get tossed around and then the winds died.

They're saying it was in University Park and going 25mph east, but then it went up to Garland or some shit. They don't know what they're talking about. Then they said it crossed 635/Skilman. Are there two?

Edited by Thetexashammer

4 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Then they said it crossed 635/Skilman. Are there two?

The northern one went  through Highland Park/Preston Hollow and headed east.  Looks like it basically just road along southern Richardson to Garland.  They said it went by TI (Forrest and Central) and that sounds right.  Would go right past the Skillman/Audelia exit at 635.

Just now, tantric superman said:

The northern one went  through Highland Park/Preston Hollow and headed east.  Looks like it basically just road along southern Richardson to Garland.  They said it went by TI (Forrest and Central) and that sounds right.  Would go right past the Skillman/Audelia exit at 635.

Haha, I was outside as it passed by. Went back and power came back on, then I checked the alerts and saw a 20 minute old alert about the thing being at Love. Yeah, that was it. Lost power and cable for like ten minutes max. Going to be a lot of cleanup tomorrow but not for me. 

I had some shit to clean up last spring with that storm. Got a bunch of firewood from it. Found out we have those big sirens.

June storm cost me a ton in flood damage but=knocking our walls made me realize we could add a fancy new closet under stairs which came in handy as a storm cellar tonight.  It was pretty calm here (Greenville and Royal area) but damn close.  It's fucking October.  Ridiculous.

Well that was "fun".  First real Texas storm experience since moving back 2 years ago.  Finally got to hear the sirens.  I took some video as I was sure I had the outer edge of the tornado at one point; however, it was just a wall cloud.  I'm in the Rowlett/Dalrock/Liberty Grove area, btw.

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What was going on between Bastrop and Smithville?  I saw a crawl on KXAN but never heard if it was a warning or what?

Wicked looking cells, we could see a lot of lightning that way.

And it looks like something is moving through Dripping Springs towards the NE, slated to hit South Austin('s mom).

I live a half mile — if that far from Love Field — where this bad boy appears to have started. Gathered the kids and dogs and part of us were in the pantry under stairs and the rest in master bedroom. By the time we were settled, I think it had slid just north and east of us. The glass place on Harry Hines that was first structure shown on TV is 3.8 miles from us. Saw Meaders on the TV broadcast on my iPad and thought W is right over there. Some serious damage over by St Mark’s. There are some big homes that might be total losses. Unreal!