2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

36 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Or you live somewhere that doesn’t flood in the greater Houston area and don’t have to go to work on days like today. 

This. I live in Greatwood and it doesn't flood. The streets filled up with water for a few days during Harvey but not a single house got water. And if the Brazos isn't high the whole neighborhood will usually drain almost immediately, like this past May when we got 15" in 6 hours and the streets were passable 30 minutes after the rain stopped. 

I used to live in Timbergrove and before that Bellaire and both of those houses had minor flooding 15-20 years ago. No way I'd ever live in those places now. Or anywhere inside the Beltway.

This didn't used to happen in the past. The problem is that with all of the freeways and denser and denser development the water has nowhere to go anymore. And all of the waterways more or less flow through the inner loop, so all of that water has nowhere to go but through the densest part of town. 

• Like 1

Houston doesn't have a long term plan for flooding because it would be too expensive.  Houston can build the world's best storm sewer system but the weak point is still that they bayous empty into Galveston Bay.  The city isn't high enough to empty the bayous faster.

I suppose the city could buy large areas of land to create additional flood reservoirs but that is costly and couldn't protect the entire city.  And I assume you can't build pumps to empty the bayous to the bay faster either.   So the best option is to build a storm sewer system that hopes to relieve street flooding up to a certain point. 

few improvement ideas:

• encourage employers to encourage workers to work from home on the high flood risk days. fewer people on the roads are important.  a risk is that some of these days will be false alarms.
  • fix the freeways that flood so quickly especially the 45-10 interchange area. As soon as that floods, people can't move and it has a downstream affect on many side streets.
  • smack people that drive their low-to-ground car into high water areas leading them to necessarily abandon their cars. 

11 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This. I live in Greatwood and it doesn't flood. The streets filled up with water for a few days during Harvey but not a single house got water. And if the Brazos isn't high the whole neighborhood will usually drain almost immediately, like this past May when we got 15" in 6 hours and the streets were passable 30 minutes after the rain stopped. 

I used to live in Timbergrove and before that Bellaire and both of those houses had minor flooding 15-20 years ago. No way I'd ever live in those places now. Or anywhere inside the Beltway.

This didn't used to happen in the past. The problem is that with all of the freeways and denser and denser development the water has nowhere to go anymore. And all of the waterways more or less flow through the inner loop, so all of that water has nowhere to go but through the densest part of town. 

I live in Garden Oaks which is fairly protected from floods but houses have flooded in the past. I never understand the new builds that don't add a few feet to their base. You're building a 1M home but its basically at the same level as the house that was originally built in the 30s. Future proof against the 1000 year storm that will occur every 10 5 years.

I project it would cost about 5 million per mile plus pumps, so approx a cool billion, to pump rain water from our reservoirs and bayous to Central Texas.  Would that not a good a idea?  What would be the benefits/cons?    

Yes I have long thought that a good infrastructure project for Texas would be water piped from the coast line.

I left work (Allen parkway and waugh) at 3:30.  Ran Allen Parkway into downtown and onto 59N.    That was closed at 610 so I exited and weaved through Kashmere Gardens to I10 East back to BW8 north.  Drive home on that to 59 and was in my driveway about 120 minutes after my initial departure .   All things being equal, I was lucky compared to those on the east or northeast side. 

I marveled at how may big rigs/18 wheelers were on the road.  Shouldn't there be a point where we say "Yall are staying put at a truck stop or parking lot somewhere."  On my sojourn through east Houston it was kind of disturbing how many big rigs were driving through really low lying areas pushing wakes up to the front doors of homes.  

As I drove out 10 and then BW8, I was also shocked at the amount of businesses that looked closed.  Whole strip centers seemed empty.  Kudos to those businesses for recognizing that sending people home early/not even opening was the thing to do. 

7 minutes ago, OWLVIS said:

Ed Emmett would have gone with the wettest prediction and urged for more caution and closures, then the Schools would have followed.

IF County Judge declares the emergency dist. can get a waiver for the missed days from State if necessary

Stfu. Even space city weather Didn’t  see this coming. Don’t make it political. This shit is extremely unpredictable at times. The school districts should have been more cautious. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stfu. Even space city weather Didn’t  see this coming. Don’t make it political. This shit is extremely unpredictable at times. The school districts should have been more cautious. 

suck my balls this was about experience, "Space City Weather" .... pfftt

I'm amazed at how long a lot of you guys stayed at work or even went in. Seems like there should be more remote working on these days. From what I saw on TV yesterday, it looked like today wasn't going to be good. Probably worse than expected but still. I'm not in Houston though, just an observation from outside.

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The storm was supposed to head straight to dallas this morning. Instead, it went from Crockett to Conroe

never seen that before in my life... ever

no one saw this amount of destruction coming

i think you can say that about most natural disasters.  people said that with harvey.  they said that about the hurricane that just slammed the bahamas.  people say that about earthquakes.  and so on and so on.

• Like 1

On Harvey, they predicted the onslaught of rain and we were all like, ‘ No fucking way. Not 40” of rain... They’re just drumming up business for Home Depot”

Then the rains came and we got Forrest Gumped for 4 days.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I'm amazed at how long a lot of you guys stayed at work or even went in. Seems like there should be more remote working on these days. From what I saw on TV yesterday, it looked like today wasn't going to be good. Probably worse than expected but still. I'm not in Houston though, just an observation from outside.

During Harvey I didn’t miss a day of work because my house, work and commute didn’t flood.  Today the commute was completely underwater for a good portion of the day.  Harvey was worse overall, but today was worse in some areas.  I was surprised but what we saw today.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I live in Garden Oaks which is fairly protected from floods but houses have flooded in the past. I never understand the new builds that don't add a few feet to their base. You're building a 1M home but its basically at the same level as the house that was originally built in the 30s. Future proof against the 1000 year storm that will occur every 10 5 years.

Coincidentally, I'm building a house in GO and we decided to go super overkill. 4.5 feet of crawl space before you get to the subfloor. If my future house ever floods, Houston has ceased to be. Extinction-level event.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Welp, it took me 3 hours to get from Kirby/Main to the Heights. Had to go all the way south to bw8 just to get on a freeway, and then took 288 back north to i10. I10 was closed, so had to find a place to cross white oak bayou. All roads were flooded. Finally went up to 610, went east to i10, made a u turn the  went 610 west to yale

definitely white knuckled a lotta water. By far the most harrowing drive ive made in my 33 years on this planet

I worked until 6 in Sawyer Yards, took Houston street onto 45 south, then 59 and then 610 south into Bellaire. Took me 15 minutes to get home today. Not a single house flooded in Bellaire and as far as I understand, there isn’t much house damage in most of the Houston area. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am pretty much only here because of family and job at this point.  Between the flooding (4 major floods in the past 4 years) and the constant highway construction/traffic, I am just sick of it.

Do you actually believe that other places lack traffic? I work in Austin regularly. The fucking traffic at rush hour in Austin is worse than Houston and getting even more terrible. 

Houston has flooding. Austin has homeless everywhere and drought. They both have traffic. Los Angeles has drought, earthquakes and traffic. Let’s not even discuss San Fran. Atlanta is running out of water. Hurricanes in Miami and Tampa more often than Texas. Chicago is a decaying shithole. New York City is 2x the cost of living in Houston. Who the fuck would actually wake up and choose Dallas? That’s jobs and family too. So sure, you’d love Seattle, Nashville or Denver. Awesome. 

You guys overstate the problems in Houston and understate the upside. Fucking great jobs everywhere. Cost of living is low. Amazing diversity without so much of the bullshit that comes with it elsewhere. No one comes to Houston for vacation, but no shit you are here because of your jobs and family. That’s why people are where they are all over this fucking planet.

I go all over the place and I see better and worse than Houston, mostly worse. But y’all can feel free to head elsewhere. Next man/woman up will take your job and you can live worry free from all natural disasters, traffic and whatever the fuck else in Shangri-La. Good luck with it. 

Today was mostly hysterics and people not knowing when to sit tight and be patient. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Some guy interviewed did warmer water in Gulf of Mexico is causing these slow moving storms that dump rain like this

No, it’s the fucking high pressure systems to the north and to the east that, as the NHC predicted on Tuesday, blocked Imelda from being able to blast her way north and east quickly like the majority of these storms do. 

Same thing happened with Harvey. 

The highs eventually weakened, the storm finds that weakness, and moves that way. 

The temperature of the Gulf of Mexico has fuck-all to do with the forward speed of these storms after they hit land. 

• Like 3

That’s complete and utter bullshit. I posted a graphic Tuesday that showed the greater Houston metro area was at a high risk for flooding rains on Tuesday. This was not only predicted, but anyone paying attention was warned. This wasn’t a surprise to anyone that pays attention. Look back at my posts leading up to this event and know that any Surly poster that reads this thread and is in SE Texas was fairly warned.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I worked until 6 in Sawyer Yards, took Houston street onto 45 south, then 59 and then 610 south into Bellaire. Took me 15 minutes to get home today. Not a single house flooded in Bellaire and as far as I understand, there isn’t much house damage in most of the Houston area. 

Do you actually believe that other places lack traffic? I work in Austin regularly. The fucking traffic at rush hour in Austin is worse than Houston and getting even more terrible. 

Houston has flooding. Austin has homeless everywhere and drought. They both have traffic. Los Angeles has drought, earthquakes and traffic. Let’s not even discuss San Fran. Atlanta is running out of water. Hurricanes in Miami and Tampa more often than Texas. Chicago is a decaying shithole. New York City is 2x the cost of living in Houston. Who the fuck would actually wake up and choose Dallas? That’s jobs and family too. So sure, you’d love Seattle, Nashville or Denver. Awesome. 

You guys overstate the problems in Houston and understate the upside. Fucking great jobs everywhere. Cost of living is low. Amazing diversity without so much of the bullshit that comes with it elsewhere. No one comes to Houston for vacation, but no shit you are here because of your jobs and family. That’s why people are where they are all over this fucking planet.

I go all over the place and I see better and worse than Houston, mostly worse. But y’all can feel free to head elsewhere. Next man/woman up will take your job and you can live worry free from all natural disasters, traffic and whatever the fuck else in Shangri-La. Good luck with it. 

Today was mostly hysterics and people not knowing when to sit tight and be patient. 

This.

also, id like to add, that almost everyone who leaves texas (for whatever reason) eventually comes crawling back... and for good reason

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/GageDetail/Index/2240?span=24 Hours&v=surfaceBox

As bad as yesterday was in Houston, this city and its drainage systems can recover quickly.  See the link for the graph on the Buffalo Bayou at Shepard.  Except for a barge(s) hitting an I-10 east bridge, the freeways are all open today.  Memorial was closed at Shepard yesterday with high water (happens all the time) but I still made it home to the Tanglewood area from downtown in about 45 minutes at 6:30.  Not that big of deal for most people.

Sure, we have to put up with this BS once in a while, but every city has its issues.  I'm not moving anytime soon.  

Goddamn you are a fucking windbag. I am venting. And I never said anything about leaving Texas not moving to Austin. Go read one of the Houston threads to see how I feel about Houston. There is a lot of great shot here. I have also lived in DC as well as outside of the country to give me some perspective on what quality of life can be and cost. I choose to be in Texas for a reason. Stop being such a defensive bitch.
  • Like 3

About a year ago I saw that a lot on the edge of the 5th Ward, between St. Arnold’s and the tracks just north, was being cleared. When I asked a worker what was going on he said a developer was going to build something. I thought that was strange unless it was industrial. Well, he was wrong. They cleared the woods and put in a retention pond. It isn’t all that big and honestly it is in a curious place. I don’t think this area flooded during the last 3-4 floods we have had. I suppose it could help keep I-10, which is very low in that area, from flooding.

There needs to be a shit ton more of these. Throughout metropolitan Houston and I know that some have been excavated in the past 2 years. Honestly, there are a lot of neighborhoods that probably need to be razed and turned into parks.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

About a year ago I saw that a lot on the edge of the 5th Ward, between St. Arnold’s and the tracks just north, was being cleared. When I asked a worker what was going on he said a developer was going to build something. I thought that was strange unless it was industrial. Well, he was wrong. They cleared the woods and put in a retention pond. It isn’t all that big and honestly it is in a curious place. I don’t think this area flooded during the last 3-4 floods we have had. I suppose it could help keep I-10, which is very low in that area, from flooding.

There needs to be a shit ton more of these. Throughout metropolitan Houston and I know that some have been excavated in the past 2 years. Honestly, there are a lot of neighborhoods that probably need to be razed and turned into parks.

Developers would be up in arms but perhaps new builds (residential  or commercial) should be required to pay into a fund to develop more retention ponds. I wouldn't expect a single house to create a new retention pond but every construction site adds into a larger fund. Allows the city/county to buy low lying areas and develop them even more into parks/ponds.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I sorta jokingly asked on my fb today, so why do people live in Houston? Half got ticked off at me and blah blah it’s our home blah blah. Yeah I get it, but this shit happens all the fucking time now. Aren’t people sick of dealing with it? Yes it sucks that people’s homes are damaged, but fuck I would be so sick of dealing with it. Others agreed with me and questioned themselves why they continue to live there. 

Are you trying to get more people to move to Austin?

Developers would be up in arms but perhaps new builds (residential  or commercial) should be required to pay into a fund to develop more retention ponds. I wouldn't expect a single house to create a new retention pond but every construction site adds into a larger fund. Allows the city/county to buy low lying areas and develop them even more into parks/ponds.

I can get behind this.

I’m trying to think if any neighborhoods inside the loop were ever bought out. I can think of a few between the beltway and the loop, like around Victory Lane. One close to where I grew up in far NW Houston was finally turned into a park (sits next to Cypress Creek and flooded regularly).

I though I read an article after Harvey about some developers not building retention ponds in new neighborhoods even though it was a requirement by the city?