2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahahahaha. What the fuck? I reject the silly premise of an "inferiority complex" for a massive city in general, but were one to exist, I'm perplexed how the Rangers would factor in. They've never done a fucking thing in their existence outside of like 2 years. Who on earth would choose the Rangers and their history over what the Astros have done from inception forward? Wow.

Back when I was a kid, you rarely saw an Astros cap outside of the Houston area.  I saw Rangers caps all over the place, and multiple other states.

Of course, it's a moot point since the 2017 WS.  Astros caps began appearing out of thin air.

But it's mostly Oilers in the realm of pro sports.  Ain't nobody going to forget The Choke.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Back when I was a kid, you rarely saw an Astros cap outside of the Houston area.  I saw Rangers caps all over the place, and multiple other states.

Of course, it's a moot point since the 2017 WS.  Astros caps began appearing out of thin air.

But it's mostly Oilers in the realm of pro sports.  Ain't nobody going to forget The Choke.

I'll just assume you're young. The Astros were everywhere in Texas until they willfully collapsed under the craven eye of late stage Drayton and then the tear down to the bones under Luhnow to turn it around. That period coincided with the one rise to prominence of the Rangers, who choked it all away anyway. 

But yeah, sure, the Oilers and Texans are a city-wide embarrassment. I stopped cheering for the Oilers the day of the choke. It was hard to ever get too deeply involved with the Texans after watching them aggressively avoid taking Derrick Johnson and then Vince Young a year later. Fuck those perennial losers. I know people involved with the Texans and all they give a fuck about is money, like any other corporation. 

So yeah, I see the try-hardiness of the city when it comes to NFL cheering interests. It's nauseating. But I don't think that translates into the bizarre notion that Houstonians have some sort of aggie-esque inferiority complex versus other cities. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smax said:

Its not a Houston inferiority complex, its a Texas thing. We for whatever reason defend all things Texas when it comes into question about its greatness. Travel/live out of state and this will be brought to your attention numerous times. "You Texans sure proud about being from Texas"

As for the ags, sure there is a large concentration of them in the largest city in the state, just as Houston has the largest concentration of Longhorns outside of Austin.

I'd rather deal with all of the Aggies in Houston than the sooners in Dallas.  Those stupid fucking Texans that cheer for or go to ou need to have their Texas rights removed. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I'd rather deal with all of the Aggies in Houston than the sooners in Dallas.  Those stupid fucking Texans that cheer for or go to ou need to have their Texas rights removed. 

You can always tell if a Texas fan is from Houston or DFW if they harbor way more hatred for either aggy or OU. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Modessit said:

It bugs me when everyone on the news refers to the Houston area as "Southeast Texas". To me, that means Corpus or lower. Houston would be East. Texarkana would be Northeast.

Now we can argue about geography nomenclature for 5 or 6 pages.

Negged for not being able to decipher a map.

Also from Corpus and highly offended.

Also currently living in East TX and want no association with Houston. 

That is all. 

7 hours ago, Modessit said:

It bugs me when everyone on the news refers to the Houston area as "Southeast Texas". To me, that means Corpus or lower. Houston would be East. Texarkana would be Northeast.

Southeast Texas is Beaumont. 

Corpus is on the northern border of South Texas.

Houston is..... Houston, I guess. 

What’s one more derailed post amongst friends?

I always consider SE Texas to be Houston metro and the Golden Triangle (and all points in between).

South Texas is anything south of San Antonio, including Corpus Christi (which can also be called part of the Coastal Bend). My family had had a house in Rockport since the early 60s and when we would go we would just said we are headed to “the coast”.

• Like 1

Longhorn Paul Goodloe is reporting live from Vidor on The Weather Channel.  No word yet on if the Klan Whataburger was destroyed.

Edit:  He's now showing in a coffee cup the leech he found in the floodwaters.  Better than watching those scumbags Reggie Bush and Urban Meyers.

Edit Edit::  The problem is that southeast Texas is missing.  So Beaumont-Houston-Freeport is the closest available.  Corpus area is indeed the Coastal Bend or South Texas if less specific (San Antonio is also borderline South Texas but more accurately south CenTex), and Modessit is probably a chick.

Edited by clapclapclap
So just think of Houston and Beaumont as south East Texas if that helps you move on.

and Modessit is probably a chick.

Considering that I actually know cardinal directions and refer to things by their direction and not some arbitrary name - I might be the only man in here. Corpus is south and east - southeast. Houston is east and just a little south of Austin. If Austin is considered "central" then Houston is 90% east and 10% south. That doesn't make it "southeast". If you went by that rule then Dallas would be Northeast Texas.

I'm not talking about what Texans call the regions. I'm talking about what the national media calls it. Some dipshit in Nebraska or Oregon is going to hear "southeast Texas", picture a map of Texas, and assume it's down by the Valley. You might say Amarillo is in "the Panhandle" - and it is - but it's also in northwest Texas.

5f258f0ac8470b8609a940b7d196a959.jpg

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

Considering that I actually know cardinal directions and refer to things by their direction and not some arbitrary name - I might be the only man in here. Corpus is south and east - southeast. Houston is east and just a little south of Austin. If Austin is considered "central" then Houston is 90% east and 10% south. That doesn't make it "southeast". If you went by that rule then Dallas would be Northeast Texas.

I'm not talking about what Texans call the regions. I'm talking about what the national media calls it. Some dipshit in Nebraska or Oregon is going to hear "southeast Texas", picture a map of Texas, and assume it's down by the Valley. You might say Amarillo is in "the Panhandle" - and it is - but it's also in northwest Texas.

5f258f0ac8470b8609a940b7d196a959.jpg

Northwest Texas and southwest Texas don’t exist. Those are the panhandle and Mexico. 

Right or wrong Houston has always been considered both south and east Texas. It’s certainly not either one individually. East Texas is Longview, Tyler, Marshall, etc. South Texas is the valley, maybe corpus, Victoria. So Houston is right in the middle. Better to just refer to it as either H-town or the concrete swamp. 

On 9/20/2019 at 8:43 PM, Modessit said:

This is so wrong it’s not even funny. 

• Like 1

You must have just beaten it Swayze. My wife abandoned here car on Memorial between Waugh And Montrose right at 4PM. Hope it didn't go up much more. Her friend was 5 or 6 cats ahead and made it through to Waugh but one car between them hesitated and stalled and that was it.

image.jpg

Looking east toward downtown

image.jpg

Just now reading this thread. Looks like I got a pic of your wife's car while walking my dog later that night. Were you able to retrieve it before it got towed?885e347f7e9bb9b2b4d8ac4ac1c5c1f2.jpg

On 9/21/2019 at 7:42 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

What’s one more derailed post amongst friends?

I always consider SE Texas to be Houston metro and the Golden Triangle (and all points in between).

South Texas is anything south of San Antonio, including Corpus Christi (which can also be called part of the Coastal Bend). My family had had a house in Rockport since the early 60s and when we would go we would just said we are headed to “the coast”.

I use HWY 90  as my demarkation for what is "South" Texas and what becomes Central Texas and the other respective regions of the state.  But I  carve out the entire city limits of San Antonio to include them in South Texas since many in San Antonio include themselves in the region.  I think many throw in the Hill Country with Central Texas as soon you are on the north side of 1604.  This is one reason I always questioned why Texas State was called Southwest Texas for all these years when one looks at the map,  Del Rio or Eagle Pass is SW Texas.   San Marcos has always been in the Austin sphere when it comes to news coverage, stats, etc and Austin has always been referred to as part of Central Texas.  

Southeast Texas  or  the "Houston area" would kind of start from Columbus and down to El Campo on east and northeast ward  to include everything in the Golden Triangle region up to maybe somewhere between the Houston and Huntsville.   Once you start getting in the woods and sticks out there, it feels like East Texas.     I know Beaumont and that area likes to refer to themselves as a region separate from Houston.  But when an event like the flooding of the past few days takes place,  most people threw that city and area into the Houston area bucket.  

"Her friend was 5 or 6 cats ahead and made it through to Waugh but one car between them hesitated and stalled and that was it."

.....aaaaand that's exactly why I turned my vehicle around and drove the wrong way up the feeder to go back to my office. Even if I could make it, if the car in front of me stalled, that was it.   Waited it out at the office then eventually drove home and all was kosher in the hood.

19 hours ago, Uncle Boobs said:

Just now reading this thread. Looks like I got a pic of your wife's car while walking my dog later that night. Were you able to retrieve it before it got towed?885e347f7e9bb9b2b4d8ac4ac1c5c1f2.jpg

Funny.   My wife got a ride out  and we went back to check it at about 8PM and most of the water had receded except for the low spot right before Waugh. We were able to drive it out and get it home.  A little water seeped in the driver side and I put a dehumidifier in it til Sunday and only pulled about a quart of water out of it.

A coworker of hers got stuck back before Studemont and parked on the grass. He didn't go back till Saturday morning and they towed it an hour before he got there.

11 hours ago, texasdago said:

"Her friend was 5 or 6 cats ahead and made it through to Waugh but one car between them hesitated and stalled and that was it."

.....aaaaand that's exactly why I turned my vehicle around and drove the wrong way up the feeder to go back to my office. Even if I could make it, if the car in front of me stalled, that was it.   Waited it out at the office then eventually drove home and all was kosher in the hood.

Yeah, but you're a guy.  I would have told her to do the same thing if she had called  as she left her parking garage like she does everyday ...  except last Thursday.

Funny.   My wife got a ride out  and we went back to check it at about 8PM and most of the water had receded except for the low spot right before Waugh. We were able to drive it out and get it home.  A little water seeped in the driver side and I put a dehumidifier in it til Sunday and only pulled about a quart of water out of it.
 A coworker of hers got stuck back before Studemont and parked on the grass. He didn't go back till Saturday morning and they towed it an hour before he got there.

This the coworker's car?d8ff41a7db33062f47b353a41db96fbe.jpg

Seen a bunch of stories in various local and national outlets about people talking about how this might have been the final straw that makes them give up on living in Houston/SETX. People that have flooded 2+ times in the past 3 years...etc.

Lots of comments on weather blogs and articles too from people who either already gave up and moved or are planning to eventually. 

I can't say I totally disagree. I've had a good run here since moving to H-town in 2007, and even though I'm building a house in town (way high up off the ground in a neighborhood with no flood history) and plan to be here another 15 years or so, I can't see myself spending too much of my life past 50 here. Colorado or somewhere similar, ETA 2035. 

The weather is just plain unpleasant for more of the year than not. Too damn crowded, takes forever to get around. You have to drive a car to go almost anywhere. Annual floods are just the cherry on top. And the aforementioned problems will just continue to get worse.

In the meantime, the way homes are built around here has got to change. It's the height of absurdity to see people rebuilding or building houses at ground level on slabs in  neighborhoods that have flooded 3 or 4 times in the past decade.  Next year, when it happens again, we'll be reading the usual stories about how some local resident had just moved back into their house following Imelda repairs and was devastated to get 2 more feet of water from (Insert 2020 flood name).

Edited by Storm the Field

it has basically not rained in Austin in the past 3 months. a 1/4" in three months.
July - .04"
August -.04"
September - .18"

At the start of this week there looked to be a pretty decent rain chance this weekend. It's steadily been revised down to the point where I'd be surprised if we get any. Probably the second week of October before we have a shot of highs under 90.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk