Texas recruiting notes 2019

47 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I just looked at OUs class. Theo Wease is a 5 Star? What?

44 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

He's really good. All of their receiver commits are beasts. 

Wease is good, but he is massively overrated by Rivals. They have him as the #3 recruit in the entire county, which is ridiculous.

56 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Whatever makes you feel better bruh. They keep winning the conference, heisman and the nfl race. Plus we just lost our best receiver to maturity issues....smh.

Johnson is our best WR both in terms of overall talent and NFL aspirations.

• Like 1

(Scipio Tex) Saturday Recruiting Musing: Herman's 3 stars

I'm in the closing stages of writing and editing the 2018 Thinking Texas Football Preview magazine which will be available verrrrry soon. Needless to say, the process of writing and tons of extensive research from both public and private resources gives me a lot of time to think about Texas, our opponents and other important things. Like recruiting. The Marques Caldwell commitment triggered me to expound on Tom Herman's 3 star recruits.

What 2017 and 2018 3 stars tell us about 2019....

Texas isn't going to land the #2 class in the country again this year. But we all knew that. This year, the question is whether it'll be the #9 class or the #16 class. Last year was hard-working new staff shine meets low ego elite kids that weren't particularly interested in hijinks. Guys like BJ Foster would rather fish, shoot bows and rope cattle than release his Top 8 schools every week and beg for likes, edits and retweets. DeMarvion Overshown calls 20 year olds sir. Anthony Cook and Caden Sterns carry themselves like NFL veterans. Our Nigerian kids wear pressed button downs and wield briefcases like Carlton on Fresh Prince. 2019 has plenty of great kids, but 2018 was uniquely mature. So were the elite of the 2017 group, but Strong utterly blew it. 

It's also difficult to combat negative OOS recruiting from highly successful programs who churn out NFL draft picks and make college football playoff appearances when the team is 53-48 over the last eight years and 23-27 over the last four. Pitching a vision is very important. But pitching a tent in the Top 10 end of season rankings or just showing tangible progress (go 9-4) is more important. What is clear from the painstaking process of reviewing all of our 2018 recruits, cross referenced with the added data of their summer development, is that 1) the 2018 class is foundational and 2) this staff absolutely nailed their 3 star recruit evaluations. Consider the five of Moro Ojomo, Christian Jones, Michael Williams, Byron Hobbs and Daniel Carson. 

Beyond the patent absurdity of a Top 5 in-state talent like Ojomo being rated a 3 star once you adjust for age - it's not his fault Lagos kindergarten begins when you're nine months old - I don't have to explain how good he is and what his best realization could be. Consider Christian Jones. Would any of you be surprised to see a 6-6 kid who carries 285 like it's 255; an athlete good enough to garner a Todd Wilcox offer at DE; develop into an all-league OT with patient instruction, a redshirt and three years to blossom? The NFL draft tell us time and again that good athletes that grow into offensive tackles are inordinately the ones who make it.

"Too skinny" Bryon Hobbs is already up twenty pounds to around 220 and he has retained all of his skinny guy athletic traits, like dunking off of lazy half hop step or housing a 90 yard touchdown playing wide receiver. He'll do the same when he's 240-245, which will happen in short order. This just isn't that hard, y'all. Mike Williams could be ANYTHING. An interior DL (at 300) or a sweet-mitted Alge Crumpler style tight end (at 265) who tramples safeties. Who knows? Who cares? Just see. Daniel Carson doesn't represent the ceiling of his four compatriots, but he provides the perfect staff requirements of frame, length and floor. A basketball team needs defenders, screeners and rebounders. It can't all be 25 foot step-back 3s. Carson is a system strong side DE who will carry 280+ no problem.

As for 2017, the hastily constructed transition class that many of us fretted over has proven 3 star intriguing. Kerstetter and Cosmi immediately drew attention for being bigger and more athletic in person than they'd seemed on film and while Derek was thrown in the fire too early, I can report after a thorough season review that 1). he competed his ass off with the tools he had and 2). he's pretty darn athletic. The kid will fight. Cosmi is already one of the strongest guys in the program and he's responding to McKnight.

Daniel Young is pretty good at everything, 40 times be damned. Kobe Boyce turned heads on the scout teams as a pure cover corner and his upside is tangible. Cade Brewer showed us that his game translates to the FBS level before the knee injury. Marquez Bimage is lifting the weight room (he now has a 610 squat) and at 255 pounds the LB convert is being groomed for an interior mismatch role like Breckyn Hager. Expect flashes this season.

This staff gets what the three star model should look like. You chase ceiling, change categories, tweak positions, take a high floor to fill needs, look for good athletes who don't project cleanly and fit system to their skills. Which brings us to 2019. A year where half of the final signed class could be 3 stars. Is it coincidence that three star commitment Marques Caldwell has offers from Colorado and TCU? That's a sneaky good indicator/endorsement for evaluating cornerback talent (CU has had 3 CBs drafted in the top 3 rounds over the last two years and, well, TCU is TCU). Guys like Mpagi, Wiley and Sweat will get more leeway from me as I wait to see their senior seasons. At minimum, I can understand what the coaches see there and what we are trying to achieve. Not always the case under prior regimes.

And it's no coincidence that 5 of our 12 current commits are from out of state. That will continue... I'm also of the strong opinion that this staff doesn't see much differentiation in the Top 20-80 of the 2019 class in-state after the Top 15-20 elite players on their board. I don't mean the public boards that have 17 of the top 20 players in the state at wide receiver or some such. I mean their board, which is concerned with actually fielding a football team of non-wide receivers. 

This is not a stars don't matter ostrich-head-in-the-sand post. We want 5 stars and studs. We want to string together Top 5 classes year after year. That model always works if your coaches and development are worth a damn. But failing that, the staff is developing some credibility taking the players that have been kicking our ass for the last four years straight at TCU.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

OMG Mehringer sucks so bad.. *ducks*

If this starts another round of back and forth of diatribes, you have nobody to blame for this but yourself. Never mind the intellectually lazy nature of this comment.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If this starts another round of back and forth of diatribes, you have nobody to blame for this but yourself. Never mind the intellectually lazy nature of this comment.

I was just trying to raise CTJs blood pressure this morning.

• Like 1

I wonder why our graphics team hasn't made a graphic with all of our commits on it, like they did last year.

If memory serves me right they can create it and DM it to recruits but it has to be tweeted out by said recruit or it's a violation. I'm sure somebody has a better understanding of the rules.

1 hour ago, thepop said:

I wonder why our graphics team hasn't made a graphic with all of our commits on it, like they did last year.

well, we only have 13 commits so far. Class isn't even close to finished.

Might start seeing those types of graphics once we get in the 15-20 range.

Perspective on WR recruiting these last 2 cycles

Texas (6 signees/commits)-94.16 composite average rank

Alabama (3)-152.6 composite average

Clemson (4)-163.25 composite average

Ohio State (4)-201.75 composite average

LSU (4)-218.25 composite average

A&M (5)-343.2 composite average

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

Texas (6 commits)-94.16 composite average

Really can’t compare until the ink is dry on 2019. For some reason WR commits came in early for us.

Texas (6 commits)-94.16 composite average rank

https://giphy.com/gifs/l3V0o7QyRb08irLag

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I think we lost the dude that was making all the awesome edits. He took another job, and quality of our graphics has noticeably declined.

This is probably the correct answer. I think last year the graphic was done with fewer commitments than we have now, so I think the number of commits is irrelevant.

12 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I think we lost the dude that was making all the awesome edits. He took another job, and quality of our graphics has noticeably declined.

Lakes. I think his first is Matt. But his twitter handle was LakesCreates or something. Youre 100% correct, weve reverted to the mean. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lakes. I think his first is Matt. But his twitter handle was LakesCreates or something. Ypure 100% correct, weve reverted to the mean. 

Are you talking about Matt Lange?  He’s still the creative director according to his twitter.  @mattjlange