Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Is he Julio fucking Jones? If he is, fine, have him in the top 10 nationally. If he's not, he has no fucking business being anywhere near #2. It's more than being a dipshit. He's unlikely to be the #2 pick in the NFL 3 or 4 years from now, and that's honestly what I'd expect of the #2 rated recruit in this cycle. Maybe we look back and laugh at how wrong I am, but the history of WRs, especially in the state of Texas, isn't something that gives me pause when I state that he should be in the top 25-50 range, and nothing better

Same. Darius White, Mike Davis, Chris Jones, Thomas Johnson, Bralon Addison, Ricky Seals-Jones, KD Cannon, Armanti Foreman, Damarkus Lodge, etc...not that these guys were bad players, but they were all really highly rated and none were huge difference-makers. I generally don't get too worked up about WR recruits. 

29 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I don't know that legal problems are in his future...but he doesn't like to play school and he's clearly a social media dipshit.

Usually OU has to develop and bring the dipshit out in kids but with Stogner, Wease and Bridges they have a really strong base level already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Gee how will ou ever keep bridges eligible?

he’ll be one of their 10,000 Rhodes scholars eventually. 

They managed to keep Jermie Calhoun eligible for three years before he finally transferred out, so I'm sure it won't be too hard for them. It's not like you need to be a rocket surgeon to make a "C" average in OU's regular courses, let alone whatever fake "classes" they have set up for athletes. 

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I believe 21 after the season not including early draft entrants and next year's transfers 

We are at 80 now after the medical retirement of Grandy and the transfers of Bonney and Cuffee. With 17 additional seniors that would put us at 22 without more attrition. I think we only have 4 spots to count back to 2018, so the maximum size of this class is 29. I'm guessing 27-29 right now.

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

They managed to keep Jermie Calhoun eligible for three years before he finally transferred out, so I'm sure it won't be too hard for them. It's not like you need to be a rocket surgeon to make a "C" average in OU's regular courses, let alone whatever fake "classes" they have set up for athletes. 

A quick jaunt down Texas’ roster shows a lot of Communication & Leadership and Youth & Community studies majors. Not sure why y’all get so uppity about this topic as if Texas is any different when it comes to athletes. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

A quick jaunt down Texas’ roster shows a lot of Communication & Leadership and Youth & Community studies majors. Not sure why y’all get so uppity about this topic as if Texas is any different when it comes to athletes. 

Because fuck you!

That’s why.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Constant said:

Those may be athlete retention majors at OU but you would probably struggle in some of the classes in the Texas version of those majors. OU sucks.

48 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We are at 80 now after the medical retirement of Grandy and the transfers of Bonney and Cuffee. With 17 additional seniors that would put us at 22 without more attrition. I think we only have 4 spots to count back to 2018, so the maximum size of this class is 29. I'm guessing 27-29 right now.

Ha, if we take 29, we will probably jump ahead of aggy by the end.

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well, Wease is really good, and plays for a traditional, easy-to-access powerhouse. He's just kind of a dipshit.

They have him at 2 in the nation, not the state, the nation, that is beyond ridiculous. He’s a good player, but no one outside of Rivals thinks he’s THAT good. 

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Rivals is working its way to irrelevance. They might be there already.

ESPN gets the most shit, but Rivals is much worse at this point.

ESPN  doesn't have the manpower  to compete with 247 but Gerry Hamilton is knowledgeable. 

ESPN's recruiting coverage will likely collapse once Hamilton moves on because it seems like he's running the entire operation by himself outside of a couple other "analysts". 

Rivals sucks because they have a bunch of idiots at the top running the show. Compare Mike Farrell to Steve Wiltfong (national recruiting directors) and it's not surprising to see why Rivals has gone to shit and 247 is the industry leader. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

ESPN  doesn't have the manpower  to compete with 247 but Gerry Hamilton is knowledgeable. 

ESPN's recruiting coverage will likely collapse once Hamilton moves on because it seems like he's running the entire operation by himself outside of a couple other "analysts". 

Rivals sucks because they have a bunch of idiots at the top running the show. Compare Mike Farrell to Steve Wiltfong (national recruiting directors) and it's not surprising to see why Rivals has gone to shit and 247 is the industry leader. 

I consider Surly to be the industry leader.

The 85 man initial fall camp roster number will almost never be the governor on class size, unless you're one of the few programs than runs like Clemson where you're trying to keep as many guys around for as long as possible, with an abnormal attrition and redshirt rate. The 25 man will be the limiting factor. You can obviously back count EEs to take more than 25, but you'll need to have a class every two or three years or so, depending on how far you go over 25, to help reset the future backcounting. I think the limiting factor for the 2019 class size will potentially be the staff not wanting to have too small of a maximum class size for their 2020 class. 

40 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Did you know OU has the most National Merit Scholars of any public school in America?  The smartest kids flock from all over the country to Norman for the world famous academic rigor.*

*Plus they get all tuition and fees waived but that's not important right now.

Seems like a shitty deal if you're stuck with an OU degree. Even if I didn't hate them, they would need to throw in room + board at least and maybe a stipend.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-wednesday-august-15th/

Texas Wishes Kenyatta Watson’s Dad a Happy Birthday
– Andrew King

Saw this recently. Shows how recruiting really never stops, as parents now get birthday edits…

Watson’s dad isn’t just your typical parent of a recruit though. He coaches and is the recruiting coordinator at Grayson HS, a powerhouse in Georgia.

In Grayson’s 2019 class, they have recruits committed to Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, Florida State, Texas A&M, Nebraska, North Carolina, and more. Watson is also on the Under Armour All-American game selection committee.

2019 Offensive Big Board
– Andrew King

The thing on most people’s mind right now is the season, as we are just over three weeks away from Texas taking the field at Maryland to start the 2018 season. When it comes to recruiting, one thing people are talking about is the success schools like Oklahoma and Texas A&M are having in the state of Texas. I’ll say this, Texas won’t have a Top 3 class in the nation this year. But I expect them to land in the Top 10 once again, especially if Tom Herman and company can win some games this fall. Here is a breakdown of the offensive side of the 2019 class.

QUARTERBACK (1):

Port Neches-Groves (TX) Roschon Johnson (Committed to Texas)

Texas is done at QB in the 2019 class, and have been for almost a year now. Last summer around this time we were debating on who Texas should take at QB between Johnson and Allen (TX) QB Grant Tisdale. Tom Herman took Johnson’s commitment at the Under the Lights camp. I said it was the right decision then, and I still believe that. I’ve even said that I think he takes over at QB at Texas in 2021. I love how he fits in Herman’s offensive vision.

RUNNING BACK (1, maybe 2):

IMG Academy (FL) Trey Sanders

IMG Academy (FL) Noah Cain

Buford (GA) Derrian Brown

Katy (TX) Deondrick Glass

Texas currently doesn’t have any RB’s committed in 2019. Texas RB coach Stan Drayton has his sights set on two guys, and they happen to be teammates. Trey Sanders and Noah Cain, those guys are the reason I said “maybe 2” when putting how many I think Texas takes at the position. Now let me say this, I do not think Texas lands Sanders and Cain. I think they’re really good friends, but know it would be smarter to go their separate ways in college for their own sake. Sanders finally made a visit to Texas, and the Longhorns are squarely in the mix for him. But I think the guy they land is the former Denton Guyer RB in Noah Cain.

When we talk about Cain though, LSU is a major threat. The Tigers have one RB committed already (Tyrion Davis) and it looked like they were about to land another one in John Emery Jr. Instead Emery made a surprising commitment to Georgia. LSU isn’t going to stop recruiting Emery, but they’re also going to turn up the heat with Cain. Another RB that has emerged as a top target is Buford (GA) Derrian Brown. He has been trending Texas lately and is expected to visit for the USC game. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Texas take Brown during the season, if he wants in. Then LSU and Texas will battle to make Noah Cain the second RB in their class.

Glass is your backup option if things fall through with Cain and Sanders. Glass is your typical guy from Katy HS, where you have no idea what’s going on in his recruitment. And if he waits to make a commitment until this winter, that’s good news for Texas.

WIDE RECEIVER (4, maybe 5)

Lake Travis (TX) Garrett Wilson (Committed to Ohio State)

Cuero (TX) Jordan Whittington (Committed to Texas)

Notre Dame Prep (AZ) Jake Smith (Committed to Texas)

Bowie (TX) Elijah Higgins

West Mesquite (TX) Dylan Wright (Committed to Texas A&M)

Trinity Catholic (MO) Marcus Washington

Millwood (OK) Demariyon Houston (Committed to Texas)

Round Rock (TX) Jaylen Ellis (Committed to Baylor)

Heritage (TX) Langston Anderson

Texas is off to a really solid start when it comes to 2019 WR recruiting. Locking down 5-star WR Jordan Whittington over Texas A&M and Jake Smith over USC. Yes, Texas has missed out on four elite in-state WR’s in Garrett Wilson, Theo Wease, Arjei Henderson, and most recently Dylan Wright. Wilson hurt the most, and if they had locked him up, Texas would be on it’s way to a possible historic WR haul. Though Texas has two great guys on board already in Whittington and Smith. And another one who I think is a great get out of the Sooner state in Demariyon Houston.

Of the available guys, Elijah Higgins would be the guy I’d focus on to close out the class. Higgins is an Austin guy who is close friends with Garrett Wilson (Ohio State), a huge academic guy (Stanford), and spent some time growing up in the Sunshine State (Florida). Those three schools and Texas look like the main group. This recruitment has trended for all four schools at different times. He plans to make a decision before the season, I’m not sure where he’s heading as of right now. Texas got him on campus earlier this summer but ran out of summer official visits. So if Higgins officially visits Texas, it will have to be during the season.

Marcus Washington is another guy who’s recruitment has taken some twists and turns this summer. He wanted to commit this summer, He was likely Ohio State bound, but the Zach Smith news changed things. He decided to push his commitment date back, which means Texas will get an official visit during the season. Missouri is another school that some feel are trending with Washington. Another note on Washington is that he’s HS teammates and friends with ’20 RB/WR Mookie Cooper, who is a top Texas target.

Then there is Ellis and Anderson. Both are more recent offers who really like Texas. But I’m not sure the Longhorns are pushing for them right now. But they’re guys to definitely keep an eye on moving forward.

MY TAKE: If Texas can land Higgins or Washington, they might just close up shop for their WR class. They’ll keep recruiting Wilson and Wright as they’re takes regardless. And then they’ll keep in contact with Ellis and Anderson and might start pushing for them closer to signing day if they need to.

TIGHT END (2):

Chandler (AZ) Brayden Liebrock (Committed to Texas)

Temple (TX) Jared Wiley (Committed to Texas)

This is the other offensive position that Texas is done at in the 2019 class. I’ve said multiple times about how excited I am about Brayden Liebrock. He’s already a special pass catcher at 6’5 225, and if he can get up around 240+ by the start of the 2019 season he’ll play. Wiley is more of a long-term take. Like Liebrock he’s skinny (6’6 220) and is playing QB for his HS this year. So I don’t have as much expectations for him early on.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE (2 maybe 3):

Oak Ridge (TX) Tyler Johnson (Committed to Texas)

Fairview (AR) Stacey Wilkins (Committed to OU)

Atascosita (TX) Kenyon Green (Committed to Texas A&M)

North Forest (TX) Javonne Shepherd (Committed to Texas)

Taylor (TX) Andrew Coker (Committed to TCU)

Texas OL coach Herb Hand has hit a home run in terms of offensive tackle recruiting in 2019. Texas has secured commitments from Tyler Johnson and Javonne Shepherd. Texas is likely done at offensive tackle in this class. They could take another tackle later in the cycle, but it would likely be a guy that could slide down to guard as well as play some tackle.

OFFENSIVE GUARD/CENTER (2):

Southern University Lab (LA) Kardell Thomas (Committed to LSU)

Crandall (TX) Branson Bragg (Committed to Stanford)

Allen (TX) EJ Ndoma-Ogar (Committed to Oklahoma)

Whitehaven (TN) Melvin McBride

Bishop Alemany (CA) Dohnovan West

The interior offensive line recruiting for Texas is one of the bigger mysteries in the 2019 cycle right now. Texas has only offered 5 interior offensive line recruits. Four are committed to other schools and one is from Florida and likely staying in the Sunshine State.

The three guys listed above that are committed to other schools in Thomas, Bragg, and Ndoma-Ogar are all guys that Texas is going to keep recruiting. But I don’t see much changing with them, at least as of today. The last two, in McBride and West are two potential offer out-of-state guys to keep an eye on.

I talked with McBride recently and he told me that OL coach Herb had would like a couple of interior OL in this class, and he really likes him. Arkansas and Louisville lead the way in his recruitment right now. McBride is planning to visit Texas this fall, but nothing is set up just yet. West is another guy who is being evaluated by Hand right now. He is a California guy but doesn’t have the big west coast offers from schools like USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, and Oregon. So Texas could move right up to the front of this recruitment if they want to.

It also wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Texas jump in the ring with some JUCO offensive lineman as we get closer to December

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Did you know OU has the most National Merit Scholars of any public school in America?  The smartest kids flock from all over the country to Norman for the world famous academic rigor.*

*Plus they get all tuition and fees waived but that's not important right now.

Didn't KSU used to fill that space? I member them touting that stat years ago.

14 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

I don't know what Trejan Bridge's ranking is now, but it is justified.  Kid had a huge summer on the circuit and is a straight baller.  His ranking is justified and he'll be a 5* before it's over.

Agree 100% on Trejan. Kid is going to be a nightmare matchup. He is the lowest ranked of their WRs but he is clearly the best. 

Luckily it will be strength on strength. It’s been mentioned a 1000x but I can’t wait for ~3 years of :

Rattler, Bridges, Wease, Arjei, Stogner

vs.

Cook, Foster, Overshown, Green, Jamison,  Sterns

• Like 3

New Rivals rankings: https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2019

Prospects of interest:

1. Stingley

2. Wease

5. Thibodeaux

6. Sanders

7. Bru

8. Sopsher

11. Kardell Thomas

13. Kenyon Green

14. Chris Steele

21. Spencer Rattler

25. Trejan Bridges

26. Pappoe

28. Erick Young

31. Whittington

34. Arjei Henderson

35. Brian Williams

44. Garrett Wilson

56. Stacey Wilkins

59. Emery

61. Faatui Tuitele

65. Jake Smith

71. Cain

78, Tyler Johnson

84. Cine

86. Stripling

91. Beason

100. Rian Davis

104. Liebrock

113. De'Gabriel Floyd

117. Stogner

119. Dylan Wright

121. Higgins

122. Leal

124. Tufono

131. Marcus Washington

135. Adimora

142. Noa Pola-Gates

148. Watson

153. Catalon

174. NaNa

176. Rodas Johnson

183. Demariyon Houston

188. Kam Brown

192. Isaiah Spiller

195. Marcel Brooks

200. Bragg

210. Tyrion Davis

214. Cupp

225. Jamal Morris

235. Marcus Hicks

239. EJNO

245. Derrian Brown

249. Tongue

12 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Seems weird to think of the self-proclaimed “worldwide leader” as lacking the resources to compete in any area of media. But that seems to now be true. How the mighty have fallen. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Seems weird to think of the self-proclaimed “worldwide leader” as lacking the resources to compete in any area of media. But that seems to now be true. How the mighty have fallen. 

At least their website didn't crash on NSD. Like a certain site did in 2017... and 2016... and 2015...

Edited by satyanash

That dude looks like an NFL linebacker that is a huge high school kid, I’m glad he’s on our side future defensive Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll be playing beside our other NFL ready LB Dele next season..

Yep, go ahead and pencil both in for the NFL HOF before either takes a single college snap. Hell, might as well fit them for yellow sport coats..

19 minutes ago, thepop said:

Top 5 is not happening without some sort of playoff season. Top 10 is reasonable.

Probably, but if Tennessee or LSU or to a lesser extent USC go south or if Georgia gets caught up in a scandal, things could change quickly.

8 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Seems like a shitty deal if you're stuck with an OU degree. Even if I didn't hate them, they would need to throw in room + board at least and maybe a stipend.

I know a woman with 2 masters degrees from OU that can't get more than a minimum wage job. It is baffling. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

They are caught in a death spiral. Less viewers means less revenue means more cuts means less good content means less viewers.