2019 ATH Bru McCoy

texifornia

I believe what hes saying is paying players is no longer a low standard. Why is it ok to pay a coach millions of dollars but how dare we give players 50k?

I don’t have a problem with paying players (and I strongly support the players commercial ownership of their own name and likeness), I have a problem with systematic cheating and paying the grifters and hangers-on who treat football players like meal tickets at the cost of their future.

6 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I would say the vast majority of Texas boosters do not want to cheat and would not encourage it, even if it means falling behind a few former plantation states at football.  It’s just not, traditionally, part of the culture of this place.  Maybe now that Old Austin and the wine and cheese crowd are both diluted out of existence, I am wrong and the ethical culture is gone too.  Or, maybe I totally misread the vibe during my time at the The University and it never existed at all.  I doubt that though. 

It's hard to call demanding that players remain unpaid in a hundred-million-dollar industry being an ethical culture any more.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

So we were going to get this kid the ball, but now instead we’ll give it to the National Gatorade Player of the Year or the Texas state champ who won offensive & defensive MVPs in the playoffs.

Forgive me if I don’t panic.

Well I mean nothing has actually happened yet. We don't know how the little diplomatic mission went yet.

Most of the stuff I've seen said that nothing was going to happen, nor was expected to, today.  That if he's going to the portal it'll be decided Thurs or Fri, maybe even during the weekend.

However, I don't much give a shit, actually.  From what I've read, we'll still field a team somehow this fall, and they'll have uniforms and everything.

• Like 4

Most of the stuff I've seen said that nothing was going to happen, nor was expected to, today.  That if he's going to the portal it'll be decided Thurs or Fri, maybe even during the weekend.

However, I don't much give a shit, actually.  From what I've read, we'll still field a team somehow this fall, and they'll have uniforms and everything.

It’ll be really neat.

28 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

So we were going to get this kid the ball, but would instead give it to the National Gatorade Player of the Year or the Texas state champ who won offensive & defensive MVPs in the playoffs.

I hope he stays, but, we’ll live.

agree... I think Bru is a blue chip talent but not at slot receiver.  In this class, Smith being the next Jordan Shipley type will be hard to beat out. Whittington seeing time at a position of need (RB).  Bru should have realized that his natural position and probably best chance at the NFL is at LB, also a position of need at Texas.  If he wants to insist on being a slot at Texas, he's in for a lot of competition  and this was obvious from the beginning, IMO.

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:
2 hours ago, Yesh said:
Texas should push to change the rules so it is legal to pay players and then do it better than everyone else.

Ha. Alabama. Dont kid yourself on this.

Out of nowhere SMU becomes a powerhouse when pay for play is standard. They’re old pros at this 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I’m trying to understand how it remains cheating? There are old rules on the books for almost any industry that are no longer enforced and no longer a part of any company’s perception of its own values when those rules are walked over. 

Look, laws are laws.  Apparently it's still illegal in Texas to milk your neighbors cow or shoot a buffalo from the 2nd story of a hotel.  Or driving barefoot being illegal because all those Ford model Ts out there have metal brake pedals that get hot and burn your foot, causing all sorts of mishaps.  

In any event, put me down for treefidy and a bag of double aught buck.  Triple aught if the bull is big enough and there's a clear shot from the 1st or 3rd floor.  

4 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

LMAO Texas currently pays a man 5 million dollars a year to coach a bunch of kids who would never fucking be admitted if it wasn’t for their athletic prowess just so they can play a game 12 weeks out of the year inside a multi hundred million dollar stadium so that a million drunk fans can cheer them on and shit talk their coworkers on Monday about it. But kicking a couple grand towards the players family is the line Texas can’t cross?

Not to mention we play the game in basketball. Why are we willing to do what it takes in basketball and not football? 

I’d like to see how much skullfucking we could accomplish by cheating.  I mean the F250 thing wouldn’t be a joke any longer.  Shit we’d probably buy the players raptors.  We for sure wouldn’t buy them shit ass chargers like the billy bobs in the midgets backyard.  Man, I’d like to punch Saban in his troll fucking face.  So glad Simms and Roy facefucked his bitch ass!

Yes, I have been drinking.  Fight me.

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:
19 minutes ago, Newy25 said:
Not to mention we play the game in basketball. Why are we willing to do what it takes in basketball and not football? 

So you think the basketball team is getting paid and the football team isnt? That's fucking funny.

Yes I think our basketball program is involved in a lot of stuff that most other programs are involved in. 

1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

agree... I think Bru is a blue chip talent but not at slot receiver.  In this class, Smith being the next Jordan Shipley type will be hard to beat out. Whittington seeing time at a position of need (RB).  Bru should have realized that his natural position and probably best chance at the NFL is at LB, also a position of need at Texas.  If he wants to insist on being a slot at Texas, he's in for a lot of competition  and this was obvious from the beginning, IMO.

Hmmmm

42 minutes ago, markstanco said:

So is the football team. The 4 and 5 star kids dont give up 50k+ to go to Texas when 15 other teams offer money. Don't be so obtuse.

Then Sam Ehlinger should go jump in his piles of money and stop complaining about not being paid.

That is to say: I am skeptical this is true given what he said. But what do I know?

Also: if all these guys are getting that kind of money under the table how are there not dozens of them in Federal Prison for tax fraud? Or is it laundered somehow?

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

So is the football team. The 4 and 5 star kids dont give up 50k+ to go to Texas when 15 other teams offer money. Don't be so obtuse.

Out of the 2-3 five starts and 25-30 fours stars on the team, how many do you think Texas paid for and which ones?  Do you think we bought Sam, Sterns, Collin, BJ, or Devin?  

Personally, I think it’s insulting to the players and their parents to say a they’re all or even most of them are dirty.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've tested out the concept of doing what it takes to land prized recruits in conversations with the regime, so to speak. They're delusional. They don't believe or understand that the basketball program has been doing what it needs to do on the recruiting front for two decades. They also believe there is some sort of moral high ground that has value to the alumni base because "we don't want to be in the headlines for the wrong reasons". They're living in fantasyland that anyone gives a shit - the NCAA, the Big 12, the media, the fans.

My view is that Herman is too competitive to just give up on the blue chips because we therefore get to perch up on moral high ground, and he's too narcissistic to think that he's missing on recruits because of any failure on his own part. When he hits that psychological intersection after losing to pieces of shit like Georgia on the recruiting front repeatedly, he'll walk down the hall to the basketball area and compare notes with Shaka Smart and build from there. That's the hope.

For those who hope differently, I guess I have to ask why you're stuck in a bygone era? The recruiting landscape today involves paying players to come to your school, and there isn't anyone walking around that seems to care about that outside of Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Wisconsin and the other academically-acclaimed schools not named Duke, Florida, USC and North Carolina.

Herman knows exactly how the recruiting game is played at the highest level.  He studied directly under Urban Meyer when he pulled some of the best classes of this era.  The moral ground appeasement won't last long if he can't compete under the existing standards and I'm pretty sure he played a few hands with the IMG RB's last year just to see how the chips were falling in that market. 

Not doubting any convo with some current staff, but they are either toeing the co. line or on the very low end of the coaching chain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Then Sam Ehlinger should go jump in his piles of money and stop complaining about not being paid.

That is to say: I am skeptical this is true given what he said. But what do I know?

Also: if all these guys are getting that kind of money under the table how are there not dozens of them in Federal Prison for tax fraud? Or is it laundered somehow?

"The Annual Gift Tax Exclusion. The annual gift tax exclusion is $15,000 for the 2019 tax year. ... This is the amount of money that you can give as a gift to one person, in any given year, without having to pay any gift tax. You never have to pay taxes on gifts that are equal to or less than the annual exclusion limit."

Chop it up annually and/or among the various "Uncles" and a kid could easily see upwards of a $100,000 while on campus.  Cars, houses and jobs are "relative" to the convo as well.

4 hours ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

"The Annual Gift Tax Exclusion. The annual gift tax exclusion is $15,000 for the 2019 tax year. ... This is the amount of money that you can give as a gift to one person, in any given year, without having to pay any gift tax. You never have to pay taxes on gifts that are equal to or less than the annual exclusion limit."

Chop it up annually and/or among the various "Uncles" and a kid could easily see upwards of a $100,000 while on campus. 

I don't think the law means "as long as every gift you get is $14,999 or less, you don't have to report any of it ever"

AUSTIN, Texas — This is how tall the odds were facing Texas when coach Tom Herman, receivers coach Drew Mehringer, quarterback Sam Ehlinger and player personnel director Kevin Washington landed in Los Angeles on Wednesday to try to rally talented receiver Bru McCoy back to Austin:

McCoy hadn’t returned calls, texts or emails from Texas personnel for more than two weeks, sources close to the situation told Horns247.com.

So if the Texas contingent went into Wednesday feeling like McCoy’s mind was already made up to do the unthinkable — use the NCAA transfer portal to return to USC less than six months after using it to leave USC for Texas — they were probably justified, sources said.

LATEST FROM CBS SPORTSSee optimized fantasy football cheat sheetsSportsLine simulated the 2018 NFL season 10,000 times and predicted every player's true performance.

It might be a small victory that both Texas and McCoy emerged from Wednesday's meeting in Los Angeles with Texas willing to give McCoy a little more time to sort through his next move.

At this point, it would be an upset if McCoy decided to return to Texas, because if there’s one thing people close to McCoy, the nation’s No. 9 overall prospect in 2019, know about him, he’s stubborn. To a fault.

It drives his father, Horace, who played tight end at Northern Illinois in 1994, crazy, causing some heated arguments between the two, sources said.

Sources close to the situation said Horace scolded his son to stick with his enrollment at USC in January, only to watch Bru pack up and leave for Texas, after then-USC offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury left to become head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

Then, Horace McCoy argued with his son to return to Texas after Bru came home to Los Angeles nearly three weeks ago, at the end of the UT spring semester, with ideas of transferring back to USC.

Sources close to the family are incredibly aware of the public relations hit Bru McCoy would take if he returns to USC.

McCoy would become the first student-athlete in FBS history to transfer from one school to another and back — within six months — before ever competing in a single contest in their scholarship sport.

PAID CONTENT BY INTEL CORPORATIONAI-Powered Supply ChainsSee how AI-powered digital transformation simplifies and connects processes at Intel.

McCoy’s parents have told Bru he'd have a good chance to gain immediate eligibility at Texas through an NCAA waiver he has yet to sign. It's a near certainty McCoy would have to sit out a year if he transfers back to USC, sources said.

A former NFL coach who is familiar with McCoy’s situation told Horns247 the first question Bru McCoy is going to get from NFL personnel if he becomes a draft prospect is, “You got a problem with commitment? Should we not draft you in Green Bay or Buffalo, because you don’t like the cold or you’re gonna get homesick?”

But sources said McCoy’s parents weren’t crazy about him going to Mater Dei, and Bru went anyway and had a standout high school experience on and off the field.

It’s the bonds he formed with teammates at Mater Dei who are now at USC, including Trojans’ quarterback JT Daniels and receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, that appear to be drawing him back to USC. McCoy is also close to current Mater Dei quarterback Bryce Young, who is committed to USC.

Daniels and St. Brown have told McCoy the USC offense is going to be explosive under Air Raid disciple Graham Harrell, who was hired to replace Kingsbury in February, two weeks after McCoy left for Texas.

“Bru’s best friend at Texas is De'Gabriel Floyd, a fellow Cali(fornia) kid who just got diagnosed with spinal stenosis and is out of football for the 2019 season,” one source said. “He feels close with receivers coach Drew Mehringer, but he can’t tell if Tom Herman likes Mehringer or might be looking to replace him.

“So, for better or worse, right or wrong, he doesn’t feel like he has a strong inner circle at Texas like he would at USC. Of course, he hasn’t even been at Texas long enough to have much of an inner circle.”

10COMMENTS

And then there’s the tenuous job security of USC football coach Clay Helton, who lost five of his last seven games and might need to win nine in 2019 to keep his job. If Helton doesn’t have a turnaround season, he and USC athletic director Lynn Swann could both be out.

“Texas just won 10 games, went to the Big 12 title game, beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and wants to make McCoy a centerpiece in the offense as a freshman,” one source close to the situation said. “Meanwhile, McCoy could be going back to total chaos at USC if things don’t go exactly right.”

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

He'll be a pretty darn good wideout. Kid's a phenomenal athlete.

27 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

AUSTIN, Texas — This is how tall the odds were facing Texas when coach Tom Herman, receivers coach Drew Mehringer, quarterback Sam Ehlinger and player personnel director Kevin Washington landed in Los Angeles on Wednesday to try to rally talented receiver Bru McCoy back to Austin:

McCoy hadn’t returned calls, texts or emails from Texas personnel for more than two weeks, sources close to the situation told Horns247.com.

So if the Texas contingent went into Wednesday feeling like McCoy’s mind was already made up to do the unthinkable — use the NCAA transfer portal to return to USC less than six months after using it to leave USC for Texas — they were probably justified, sources said.

LATEST FROM CBS SPORTSSee optimized fantasy football cheat sheetsSportsLine simulated the 2018 NFL season 10,000 times and predicted every player's true performance.

It might be a small victory that both Texas and McCoy emerged from Wednesday's meeting in Los Angeles with Texas willing to give McCoy a little more time to sort through his next move.

At this point, it would be an upset if McCoy decided to return to Texas, because if there’s one thing people close to McCoy, the nation’s No. 9 overall prospect in 2019, know about him, he’s stubborn. To a fault.

It drives his father, Horace, who played tight end at Northern Illinois in 1994, crazy, causing some heated arguments between the two, sources said.

Sources close to the situation said Horace scolded his son to stick with his enrollment at USC in January, only to watch Bru pack up and leave for Texas, after then-USC offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury left to become head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

Then, Horace McCoy argued with his son to return to Texas after Bru came home to Los Angeles nearly three weeks ago, at the end of the UT spring semester, with ideas of transferring back to USC.

Sources close to the family are incredibly aware of the public relations hit Bru McCoy would take if he returns to USC.

McCoy would become the first student-athlete in FBS history to transfer from one school to another and back — within six months — before ever competing in a single contest in their scholarship sport.

PAID CONTENT BY INTEL CORPORATIONAI-Powered Supply ChainsSee how AI-powered digital transformation simplifies and connects processes at Intel.

McCoy’s parents have told Bru he'd have a good chance to gain immediate eligibility at Texas through an NCAA waiver he has yet to sign. It's a near certainty McCoy would have to sit out a year if he transfers back to USC, sources said.

A former NFL coach who is familiar with McCoy’s situation told Horns247 the first question Bru McCoy is going to get from NFL personnel if he becomes a draft prospect is, “You got a problem with commitment? Should we not draft you in Green Bay or Buffalo, because you don’t like the cold or you’re gonna get homesick?”

But sources said McCoy’s parents weren’t crazy about him going to Mater Dei, and Bru went anyway and had a standout high school experience on and off the field.

It’s the bonds he formed with teammates at Mater Dei who are now at USC, including Trojans’ quarterback JT Daniels and receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, that appear to be drawing him back to USC. McCoy is also close to current Mater Dei quarterback Bryce Young, who is committed to USC.

Daniels and St. Brown have told McCoy the USC offense is going to be explosive under Air Raid disciple Graham Harrell, who was hired to replace Kingsbury in February, two weeks after McCoy left for Texas.

“Bru’s best friend at Texas is De'Gabriel Floyd, a fellow Cali(fornia) kid who just got diagnosed with spinal stenosis and is out of football for the 2019 season,” one source said. “He feels close with receivers coach Drew Mehringer, but he can’t tell if Tom Herman likes Mehringer or might be looking to replace him.

“So, for better or worse, right or wrong, he doesn’t feel like he has a strong inner circle at Texas like he would at USC. Of course, he hasn’t even been at Texas long enough to have much of an inner circle.”

10COMMENTS

And then there’s the tenuous job security of USC football coach Clay Helton, who lost five of his last seven games and might need to win nine in 2019 to keep his job. If Helton doesn’t have a turnaround season, he and USC athletic director Lynn Swann could both be out.

“Texas just won 10 games, went to the Big 12 title game, beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and wants to make McCoy a centerpiece in the offense as a freshman,” one source close to the situation said. “Meanwhile, McCoy could be going back to total chaos at USC if things don’t go exactly right.”

takes a lot of good drugs to write something so full of shit this early in the morning. for the third time just on this thread....ask for a refund.

• Like 1

It doesn’t look good as far as keeping Bru and I imagine a lot of folks think it is ridiculous to send all these folks to try and convince a player to stay.  I would argue that this is not just about Bru but it also reinforces the notion that when you come to Texas you are family and family doesn’t give up on one another.  I think Tom knows that regardless of the outcome, it sends a positive message to other recruits and parents about what it means when you join the Texas family.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

It doesn’t look good as far as keeping Bru and I imagine a lot of folks think it is ridiculous to send all these folks to try and convince a player to stay.  I would argue that this is not just about Bru but it also reinforces the notion that when you come to Texas you are family and family doesn’t give up on one another.  I think Tom knows that regardless of the outcome, it sends a positive message to other recruits and parents about what it means when you join the Texas family.

That is some impressive bullshit right there. DJs can’t spin it better. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

8 a.m. and I still really don't give a shit what this kid does.  At all (except to post that I don't give a shit).

And OU sucks.

You're lucky you remembered to cover yourself with the parenthetical.  Surly was about to crawl up your ass for 5 pages. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Just wonder how much USC is behind the scenes with all of this?

Obviously the players are considering he is best friends with the starting QB, incoming QB, and starting WR. I doubt helton is really having to do much behind the scenes. 

Early in the season, after playing Stanford at home, here is USC's schedule:

at BYU

Home against Utah

at Washington

at Notre Dame

I see Helton getting fired after getting butchered by ND.

Who signs up for this shitshow?