2019 ATH Bru McCoy

texifornia

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

The Los Angeles area is pretty big.  Maybe they're putting him on his own separate executive jet or helicopter.

Hell, they have commercial flights going from one LA-area airport to the next.

I've tested out the concept of doing what it takes to land prized recruits in conversations with the regime, so to speak. They're delusional. They don't believe or understand that the basketball program has been doing what it needs to do on the recruiting front for two decades. They also believe there is some sort of moral high ground that has value to the alumni base because "we don't want to be in the headlines for the wrong reasons". They're living in fantasyland that anyone gives a shit - the NCAA, the Big 12, the media, the fans.

My view is that Herman is too competitive to just give up on the blue chips because we therefore get to perch up on moral high ground, and he's too narcissistic to think that he's missing on recruits because of any failure on his own part. When he hits that psychological intersection after losing to pieces of shit like Georgia on the recruiting front repeatedly, he'll walk down the hall to the basketball area and compare notes with Shaka Smart and build from there. That's the hope.

For those who hope differently, I guess I have to ask why you're stuck in a bygone era? The recruiting landscape today involves paying players to come to your school, and there isn't anyone walking around that seems to care about that outside of Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Wisconsin and the other academically-acclaimed schools not named Duke, Florida, USC and North Carolina.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I also posted that post on the 2020 thread, which is where I meant to put it. To answer your question, I have no idea. 

"I feel the power in the lord telling me to open up a great, big sanctuary for all true believers in burnt orange...and a place for such genuine believers families that need assistance while praising the lord....."....Rev Thiefery

I would say the vast majority of Texas boosters do not want to cheat and would not encourage it, even if it means falling behind a few former plantation states at football.  It’s just not, traditionally, part of the culture of this place.  Maybe now that Old Austin and the wine and cheese crowd are both diluted out of existence, I am wrong and the ethical culture is gone too.  Or, maybe I totally misread the vibe during my time at the The University and it never existed at all.  I doubt that though. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

I was amazed at how bad they are. Same with the entire Phoenix area.

Yeah, it's mostly the laws.  

But it's also cheap flights to Las Vegas that are a problem.  Lots (LOTS) of OC girls fly to LAS on Friday afternoons and work the Vegas titters for the weekend. 

A super-cute little ginger used to work at a strip club here in Oceanside midweek.  I asked her why I never saw her on Saturdays.  She told me that she works Friday and Saturday nights in Vegas, and after her airfare and hotel rooms were covered, she still came home with 2 grand + every weekend. 

I asked her if there's a difference between the patrons in Vegas and the local clubs.  She told me that at the local club, all the guys think they've got a shot of being her boyfriend.  In Vegas, all the guys think that they can offer her enough cash to get her to fuck.   She's like...why would I go to some dipshits hotel room and fuck him for a few hundred, when I can make that giving a few lap dances?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I would say the vast majority of Texas boosters do not want to cheat and would not encourage it, even if it means falling behind a few former plantation states at football.  It’s just not, traditionally, part of the culture of this place.  Maybe now that Old Austin and the wine and cheese crowd are both diluted out of existence, I am wrong and the ethical culture is gone too.  Or, maybe I totally misread the vibe during my time at the The University and it never existed at all.  I doubt that though. 

It doesn't take the vast majority of boosters to buy a few players,  just a few of the right ones. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I do give a shit. The athletic program represents the institution, not the other way around.  I categorically reject the idea that it's impossible to win clean, and doing otherwise is corrosive. I'd rather do away with football and basketball or make them club sports than employ a strategy of cheating.  

Same, we've out recruited the Big 12 every year this decade and it didn't seem to do much. It's about getting the right guys and developing them. Not a bunch of soft pussies that can't stray too far from mommy's tit. 

• Fuck You 1

40 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I do give a shit. The athletic program represents the institution, not the other way around.  I categorically reject the idea that it's impossible to win clean, and doing otherwise is corrosive. I'd rather do away with football and basketball or make them club sports than employ a strategy of cheating.  

I guess I’m trying to understand how it remains cheating? There are old rules on the books for almost any industry that are no longer enforced and no longer a part of any company’s perception of its own values when those rules are walked over. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Exactly. This isn't Ohio State or Alabama or the rest of the SEC minus Vanderbilt for that matter where dirty games reign king and in most of their cases where everything is subservient to football (despite that some programs like aggy suck academically and at football). We're Texas. We'll play the multiple hundred dollar handshake game and I'm largely okay with that but we're not going Auburn and Cam Newton style anytime soon or Texas A&M with wire and mail fraud style anytime soon for football. Or at least I hope we aren't. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

LMAO Texas currently pays a man 5 million dollars a year to coach a bunch of kids who would never fucking be admitted if it wasn’t for their athletic prowess just so they can play a game 12 weeks out of the year inside a multi hundred million dollar stadium so that a million drunk fans can cheer them on and shit talk their coworkers on Monday about it. But kicking a couple grand towards the players family is the line Texas can’t cross?

I don't think anyone has an issue with thousand dollar handshakes (inflation is a bitch) but bidding wars is where I draw the line.

I’ve had season tickets for almost forty years. If this cheating problem isn’t addressed pretty soon, I’m done with tickets and will confine my interest to catching an occasional game here or there. I will simply re-prioritize football in my priorities. I don’t have any interest in winning hollow championships thru cheating and deceit. What’s the point? Similarly, I don’t want to watch my team get killed every year by teams that are cheating, especially aggy.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Exactly. This isn't Ohio State or Alabama or the rest of the SEC minus Vanderbilt for that matter where dirty games reign king and in most of their cases where everything is subservient to football (despite that some programs like aggy suck academically and at football). We're Texas. We'll play the multiple hundred dollar handshake game and I'm largely okay with that but we're not going Auburn and Cam Newton style anytime soon or Texas A&M with wire and mail fraud style anytime soon for football. Or at least I hope we aren't. 

aggy is proof that going all in on cheating won't win you titles. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I’m trying to understand how it remains cheating? There are old rules on the books for almost any industry that are no longer enforced and no longer a part of any company’s perception of its own values when those rules are walked over. 

I don't know who you work for, but the above has not been my experience except for the company I worked for right after college that went under in 2000 due to reputation problems and cultural/ethical issues. There's a lesson in there. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

LMAO Texas currently pays a man 5 million dollars a year to coach a bunch of kids who would never fucking be admitted if it wasn’t for their athletic prowess just so they can play a game 12 weeks out of the year inside a multi hundred million dollar stadium so that a million drunk fans can cheer them on and shit talk their coworkers on Monday about it. But kicking a couple grand towards the players family is the line Texas can’t cross?

The fucked up culture of the game is a different problem. Like I said, I'd be happy with no football or club football if cheating is what it takes. I like football, not pageants. But to your question, Yes. Systematically paying family is gross and can lead to some very fucked up situation to boot. A kid shouldn't be a meal ticket. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

I see what you are saying, but the I’m not worried about the downside of doing things the right way. I don’t care what Aggies or Bama do. So far the results are uneven, to say the very least, but at any rate I care about Texas being Texas. I contend that we can compete at the highest level on the field while also holding ourselves to a high standard. And if we can’t I won’t lose any sleep over it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I care about Texas being Texas. I contend that we can compete at the highest level on the field while also holding ourselves to a high standard. And if we can’t I won’t lose any sleep over it.

I believe what hes saying is paying players is no longer a low standard. Why is it ok to pay a coach millions of dollars but how dare we give players 50k?

• Like 1