Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I knew a dude that used to have a barbecue truck biz around here that would to buy the cheapest select briskets from Wal Mart and made better que than either Miller's or Schoepf's on their best days. I miss that guy.

Wouldn't be hard for it to be better than Schoepfs. Better than Millers? That would be a surprise since I think  that Millers is some of the best that I have ever eaten.

24 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Similar, starting at HEB at 6:45am. 

Total Wine on Memorial at 3pm was the worst. Total zoo. 

My Total Wine is astonishing.  I do nothing but curbside, and if I place an order it's almost always ready before I could even drive there.  If I order before they open, I get the "your order is ready" text at 10 AM on the dot.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My Total Wine is astonishing.  I do nothing but curbside, and if I place an order it's almost always ready before I could even drive there.  If I order before they open, I get the "your order is ready" text at 10 AM on the dot.

The whole point of the post was LC's last bit. 

" #disorganized "

Had I done it your way, I wouldn't have had anything to talk about. 

(Oh but that's ok for you.) 🤔

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, salonghorn said:

Wouldn't be hard for it to be better than Schoepfs. Better than Millers? That would be a surprise since I think  that Millers is some of the best that I have ever eaten.

That was true of Schoepf's in the past. But they kick the living crap out of Miller's now. Not even close. They upped their game bigtime, while Miller's kept slipping while selling out to the tourist crowd and installing electric "smokers."

23 hours ago, DougO said:

HEB has been making some shitty strawberries lately. I am disappoint.

22 hours ago, salonghorn said:

The HEB on 31st (the worst HEB in Texas) had a terrible choice of strawberries this morning at 7:30

22 hours ago, NoName said:

Same in central tx today and yesterday. Worst I've ever seen them have choice wise both of regular and organic

image.gif.9c3971601d0e5cdf4dbe8176dfcd163c.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I went to HEB for a whole packer brisket yesterday, hoping to get their Prime grade ($4.67/lb).  No dice.  The butcher said he had one Wagyu brisket in the back, at roughly twice the price per pound.  He brought that thing out, it was just shy of 20 lb.  $162.  Uh, no.
Tried 2 Randalls, nothing.  Finally found a Prime brisket at the HEB on Burnet.  Austin is getting slammed.  (Did get a nice choice grade 3-bone ribeye roast at Randalls, though.  It's a beauty.)

Surely a grand pitmaster like you can cook a choice brisket to perfection.

7 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Surely a grand pitmaster like you can cook a choice brisket to perfection.

Several problems there.  One, they didn't have choice, just select.

Two, I'm not very good.

Three, I didn't cook it.  Bert's on Far West did.  I've been working too much to fuck around and mess up Xmas Eve dinner.

Forgot to mention, HEB is now carrying Franklin BBQ sauces.  We had some chicken 'Q along with brisket and sausage for Xmas Eve, and this hit the spot with the bird.  The ingredient list is stellar, none of the usual crap.  Pricy, but worth it.  (Should have tried the "spicy" version.)

image.png.4e88fd48e167315c6ce59837dd9f4de0.png

On 12/23/2023 at 5:30 PM, salonghorn said:

The HEB on 31st (the worst HEB in Texas) had a terrible choice of strawberries this morning at 7:30

Just a tip...an HEB produce guy told me to only buy the hydroponic strawberries because they'll generally last much longer in the fridge. He said if regular field grown strawberries get a lot of rain, their water content would be too high and they will spoil quickly.  If you eat them within 2-3 days, it don't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Just a tip...an HEB produce guy told me to only buy the hydroponic strawberries because they'll generally last much longer in the fridge. He said if regular field grown strawberries get a lot of rain, their water content would be too high and they will spoil quickly.  If you eat them within 2-3 days, it don't make a shit.

follow up for this if you have kids or want to store them longer - wash them, dry them on the counter (fully dry) and store them in a large mason jar. they last MUCH longer.

also i want to 2nd the hydroponic strawberries rec after trying seemingly every option out there over the last 12 months.

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Real tip: pretty much all strawberries in the US suck.  They are big, red, blobs of water.  They look pretty.  That's the main thing they do. You can occasionally find decent ones if they are in season and local (like at a farmer's market).  Compare them to a summer strawberry grown in any northern region (northern US, Canada, northern Europe), and the big red strawberries we get at HEB taste like disappointment.  

Frankly, the American obsession with fruit that looks beautiful and tastes like shit is one of our great tragedies.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Real tip: pretty much all strawberries in the US suck.  They are big, red, blobs of water.  They look pretty.  That's the main thing they do. You can occasionally find decent ones if they are in season and local (like at a farmer's market).  Compare them to a summer strawberry grown in any northern region (northern US, Canada, northern Europe), and the big red strawberries we get at HEB taste like disappointment.  

Frankly, the American obsession with fruit that looks beautiful and tastes like shit is one of our great tragedies.

you are totally and completely right on this front. nothing you can get berry wise from a grocery store compares to a really local, farmers market berry.

...but my 2 year old doesn't GAF about seasonal produce sadly

On 12/23/2023 at 3:14 PM, jimmyjazz said:

The two girls say it separately then in unison.  I don't remember other repeats, but maybe?

"They're not really his children.  They're the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers- inner city children of promise but without the necessary means for necessary means for a higher education."  

"I'm gonna go get the papers...get the papers." 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Forgot to mention, HEB is now carrying Franklin BBQ sauces.  We had some chicken 'Q along with brisket and sausage for Xmas Eve, and this hit the spot with the bird.  The ingredient list is stellar, none of the usual crap.  Pricy, but worth it.  (Should have tried the "spicy" version.)

image.png.4e88fd48e167315c6ce59837dd9f4de0.png

I think they’ve sold Franklin sauces for a decade. I haven’t seen the espresso sauce in quite a while, unfortunately. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 1

It's pretty clear at this point that HEB is moving towards a big box concept in which the vast majority of products are in-house only.  Right now, their shit is good, but once they purge the shelves of competition, I doubt it will continue to be the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's pretty clear at this point that HEB is moving towards a big box concept in which the vast majority of products are in-house only.  Right now, their shit is good, but once they purge the shelves of competition, I doubt it will continue to be the case.

this has been happening for sometime. HEB products get the best shelving locations 

hopefully they follow costco kirkland plan and look to provide a very high quality product 

Edited by tx 3 putt

They’ve been pushing their own brand over national for a decade plus. Lots of people have bitched about it but honestly, save a few select products, I pick up H-E-B (not hcf) over the national.

I’m not gonna compromise on ketchup. I would have never picked up heb ketchup over Heinz but now I’ve only bought whataburger ketchup for years.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, deft said:

They’ve been pushing their own brand over national for a decade plus. Lots of people have bitched about it but honestly, save a few select products, I pick up H-E-B (not hcf) over the national.

I’m not gonna compromise on ketchup. I would have never picked up heb ketchup over Heinz but now I’ve only bought whataburger ketchup for years.

Whataburger Ketchup and Mustard are superior over competitors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve had the opposite experience. Every time we buy the hydroponic, they look like picture perfect strawberries leaving the store spoil within days.

10 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I've had success doing a vinegar soak on strawberries to make them last longer.  Especially in the off-season.  

What I've heard and seen work at our house is to dunk them all in a bowl of water with a dash baking soda. Then cut off the pedicel and store in a clean container (ours looks to be OXO or something similar) in the refrigerator. They make it over 10 days this way. If you keep them in the clamshell just rinsed they only make it a few days before they are moldy.  

12 hours ago, GottaB said:

I’ve had the opposite experience. Every time we buy the hydroponic, they look like picture perfect strawberries leaving the store spoil within days.

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I've had success doing a vinegar soak on strawberries to make them last longer.  Especially in the off-season.  

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

What I've heard and seen work at our house is to dunk them all in a bowl of water with a dash baking soda. Then cut off the pedicel and store in a clean container (ours looks to be OXO or something similar) in the refrigerator. They make it over 10 days this way. If you keep them in the clamshell just rinsed they only make it a few days before they are moldy.  

We've had some success with an in between step, which is taking them out, rinsing an drying, and then storing in a jar in the fridge. I'd say most make it about a week. 

• Hook 'Em 1