Casey Thompson

Tex Long

On 10/7/2021 at 8:29 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I am frankly surprised by the intelligence, insight, and integrity displayed by Charles Thompson in those quotes and in that whole scenario.

My recall of his tenure at OU is dim except for the SI cover and an hilarious contemporary tshirt with him in uniform wearing a thick gold chain and fur coat.  I would have expected him to be more of a degenerate meathead than he showed there.

dafuq? He's 53 years old and a father of two adult men... You're surprised he's no longer acting like a college dude playing football (and whatnot) in the 80s?

he's well spoken and suspicious.

• Hook 'Em 2

Casey played well overall today, some disappointing throws/decisions, but some very surprisingly good deep passes. My biggest criticism, I believe he should have utilized his feet more when things broke down. There were several times he was so focused down field, he didn’t see the open field in front of him and the play resulted in a sack. It was very similar to Card’s lack of action in these situations and makes me wonder if Sark is coaching the scramble out of them to the detriment of the team.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Casey played well overall today, some disappointing throws/decisions, but some very surprisingly good deep passes. My biggest criticism, I believe he should have utilized his feet more when things broke down. There were several times he was so focused down field, he didn’t see the open field in front of him and the play resulted in a sack. It was very similar to Card’s lack of action in these situations and makes me wonder if Sark is coaching the scramble out of them to the detriment of the team.  

Wonder if his whatever hand injury early made him not want to run.  But yea.  Use your feet to pick up first downs 

• Like 1

Casey had those stats despite an OU DL immediately running completely free at him half the time he dropped back when it wasn’t first down. Most of his success otherwise came on first down when OU was selling out to stop Bijan. He played great, along with Bijan and X. The OL and D played like complete dogshit. 

9 minutes ago, ousux said:

Next time he takes the O-line to VY's he can leave Karic at home..and possibly Majors but I havent watched the game on tv yet, there may be others. Hell, maybe he ends up eating alone.

Still can’t believe our center had 2 false starts.  That’s the same amount of penalties all day on Cocksuckers.

Just now, Bigbend1812 said:

Still can’t believe our center had 2 false starts.  That’s the same amount of penalties all day on Cocksuckers.

Yeah two things among others, horribly wrong with this game. Majors needs to hold his fucking water. And only two flags in those fucks is absolute insanity. Fuck that shit. It’s one thing to get beat, but when you get cheated it makes you wanna rage

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

His deep ball has been off a shit ton this year is my only negative. 

I don’t know. For example today on his long TD pass to Moore (not the fade route in the end zone), Moore slowed down and then sped up to make the catch. It looked like an underthrow, but if he had just maintained his stride and not misjudged it in the air it would’ve been perfect. 

25 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

He left yards on the field not scrambling at times, but if that’s the only gripe I can give him I’m ok. He played a hell of a game. The coaching staff kinda fucked him in the second half with play calling.

Sort of wish they would call more rollouts.  Get the DL tired at the least.  But I’m out sure rollouts are in sarks offense

• Like 1

he missed the one deep ball for a TD before we had to kick the FG at the end of half.  underthrew a couple that were caught but he hit some as well.  even very good college QB's are going to miss a deep ball here or there.

he played well enough to win.  the D couldn't hold.

he missed the one deep ball for a TD before we had to kick the FG at the end of half.  underthrew a couple that were caught but he hit some as well.  even very good college QB's are going to miss a deep ball here or there.
he played well enough to win.  the D couldn't hold.

I rewatched the first half. Really he missed two deep balls before the half. If he keeps Worthy upright on the first, it’s a TD then the overthrow on the same play in which we scored to tie it at 48. And it’s mostly on Sarkisian but Casey did not manage the clock well at the end of the first half.

When our offense was sucking in the 3rd, he missed the throw on 3rd and long. He probably could have run for the first. And the receivers were going to be open, but the timing was out of whack. We need him to convert, and he should have.

I’m not sure what the progressions are, but throwing into double coverage to Bijan was 100% locking in on him pre-snap. The throw before was a lower percentage throw. Both of those down 7 in scoring position.

He also just missed Washington when the toe was out of bounds. That was on Casey. That’s not a real percentage throw and so close to being perfect.

The OLINE gets a lot of grief, and they still whiff on way too many plays. But on those plays mentioned above and our scoring plays, they did a really good job.

And just to argue, I’d say he didn’t play well enough or we would have won. That’s not to say he didn’t play well. It was so close one play at a critical time May have done it. From any number of different sources.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I rewatched the first half. Really he missed two deep balls before the half. If he keeps Worthy upright on the first, it’s a TD then the overthrow on the same play in which we scored to tie it at 48. And it’s mostly on Sarkisian but Casey did not manage the clock well at the end of the first half.

When our offense was sucking in the 3rd, he missed the throw on 3rd and long. He probably could have run for the first. And the receivers were going to be open, but the timing was out of whack. We need him to convert, and he should have.

I’m not sure what the progressions are, but throwing into double coverage to Bijan was 100% locking in on him pre-snap. The throw before was a lower percentage throw. Both of those down 7 in scoring position.

He also just missed Washington when the toe was out of bounds. That was on Casey. That’s not a real percentage throw and so close to being perfect.

The OLINE gets a lot of grief, and they still whiff on way too many plays. But on those plays mentioned above and our scoring plays, they did a really good job.

And just to argue, I’d say he didn’t play well enough or we would have won. That’s not to say he didn’t play well. It was so close one play at a critical time May have done it. From any number of different sources.

This is bullshit.

Casey played well enough to win.

This game wasn’t at all on him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

What if I told you Colt McCoy’s best play in the 2009 OU game was a tackle off his interception and that in Vince Young’s 4th career start he could barely complete a forward pass?
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

what.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If you need your QB to be better than 400 yards/5 TDs/0 INT/60% completion, then you need to reevaluate how you plan to win games.

if we're telling him don't take off running no matter what then we sure do need to reevaluate things.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah I’m not complaining about Casey here. 5 TDs and no INTS? Please…give me that every fucking RRS. Could Casey have used his legs more? Yes! I wish he would have cause they can be dangerous. But not everything is going to be perfect or lucky like ousux had. And we certainly don’t have the WR talent that ou has. 

I didn’t really like the screen calls, and I would have preferred some K Rob touches. But the hope here is that a lot is learned and Casey is coached up to understand situational awareness more. I get he’s been at Texas a few years, but this is only his 3rd start? And his playing time is almost freshman level. We’ve been so shitty during his time at Texas that the only meaningful time he’s played was last years bowl game prior to this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

Yeah I’m not complaining about Casey here. 5 TDs and no INTS? Please…give me that every fucking RRS. Could Casey have used his legs more? Yes! I wish he would have cause they can be dangerous. But not everything is going to be perfect or lucky like ousux had. And we certainly don’t have the WR talent that ou has. 

I didn’t really like the screen calls, and I would have preferred some K Rob touches. But the hope here is that a lot is learned and Casey is coached up to understand situational awareness more. I get he’s been at Texas a few years, but this is only his 3rd start? And his playing time is almost freshman level. We’ve been so shitty during his time at Texas that the only meaningful time he’s played was last years bowl game prior to this year.

I think he had so much success throwing yesterday he just never gave running a thought

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Is this Hudson Card's burner?  If your analysis of Casey is this long, I'd love to see your book about our D.  Quarterbacks aren't robots, sans robots like Burrow.  They miss throws, especially when an O line lets the defense by the second the ball is snapped.  Can you share your thoughts on Karic or the 20 or so real issues that are more pressing than Casey?

Edited by OU Sucks

Just now, hookem48 said:

I think he had so much success throwing yesterday he just never gave running a thought

That’s a fair point! Maybe some over confidence in his arm. And that’s probably where the coaching hopefully comes in to remind him To use all his tools

This is bullshit.
Casey played well enough to win.
This game wasn’t at all on him.

Then why did we lose? I said he played well. Really you should evaluate your thought. Don’t believe I said it was his fault. He played well enough for us to win. Probably should have won. We lost. So literally he didn’t play well enough to win.

There were many, many plays that if they turn out differently, it could have changed the outcome. All I did was point out a few plays involving him that didn’t work out.

Three of our first four possessions in the second half were 3 and outs. Then we had a fumble on the kickoff. It doesn’t excuse the defense, but offense and special teams were not good in the second half.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Then why did we lose? I said he played well. Really you should evaluate your thought. Don’t believe I said it was his fault. He played well enough for us to win. Probably should have won. We lost. So literally he didn’t play well enough to win.

There were many, many plays that if they turn out differently, it could have changed the outcome. All I did was point out a few plays involving him that didn’t work out.

Three of our first four possessions in the second half were 3 and outs. Then we had a fumble on the kickoff. It doesn’t excuse the defense, but offense and special teams were not good in the second half.

Um. We lost because the defense gave up almost 700 yards and 55 points.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1