How Fox News works

retread

Worked like a champ, with the added benefit that my in-laws couldn't leave my house fast enough yesterday. My FIL was loading the truck while my MIL and wife were still washing the brunch dishes. 

you’re going to be shut out of some acreage and primo hunting if you’re not careful.

and that’s worth whoring yourself for, brother.
  • Like 2

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

I discussed it with the wife first, and she was good with it. The truth is, the past couple years they have both been ODing on Fox propaganda. If they're not watching it at home, they are listening to it on XM radio. It's non-stop,  and very unhealthy. 

It's fucking sad as shit, because it's literally killing some families.  Your FIL and MIL are good people....but good people can get turned to some pretty bad shit, and a lot faster than we'd ever like to admit.  We've seen it happen time and again throughout history, and we're fools to think we're immune.

Been a while since I've spent time with your FIL...I kinda sadly wonder how well my last name would float with them these days, or whether he'd just pretend otherwise, and I'd get the "but you're one of the good ones" treatment (seen that in action) or, after being subjected to blanket xenophobic rants, we'd get the "now, I'm just talkin' bout illegals, not y'all legal folks" treatment.  Seriously.  It's fucking sad that there are people who I used to be very friendly with who I don't know if I can be around anymore.  Sorry to hear that they are going down that road.

7 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

you’re going to be shut out of some acreage and primo hunting if you’re not careful.

and that’s worth whoring yourself for, brother.

And....no it's not.  As much as that land kicks ass.

Hell, my FIL may have some money.  We probably won't get any of it when he passes.  Don't much care.  Our family doesn't need to be exposed to pure toxicity like his.  We're better off without it.

The Xenophobia doesn't seem to have taken root with them as much as the "you'll never believe what this stupid lib said!" brand of bullshit. They've both been around agriculture and communities tied to agriculture long enough that they don't buy the scary brown people narrative so much. 

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The Xenophobia doesn't seem to have taken root with them as much as the "you'll never believe what this stupid lib said!" brand of bullshit. They've both been around agriculture and communities tied to agriculture long enough that they don't buy the scary brown people narrative so much. 

Well, that's good....all things considered.

One of the pleasant surprises of my recent life has been seeing my parents -- lifelong GOP voters (seriously, I remember when we were a Ford family in a sea of Carter supporters) - turn full-on against the GOP.  My mom turned a while back.  My dad spent much of last year teetering, it seemed.  No longer.  He's done with them.  It doesn't hurt that he 1) saw their idiocy on fiscal matters, knowing it would likely hit his portfolio, and 2) he's seen it do exactly that.  Layer on the fact that the party brand is just plain old cruelty, and it's a done deal.

My dad turned on that Laura Ingraham show last night. I have never seen a minute of that before. 

Holy fucking shit. I tried to get him to turn it off, but he was dialed in so I left the room. 

I don't even care if you agree or disagree with the takes, the fucking rapid fire yelling between five different people is an instant migraine producer. 

Last year at Christmas I went to my uncle's house in New Orleans. He watched One America News almost exclusively. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network

My Uncle is a highly-intelligent person. He was a very successful prosecutor in California before retiring.

Good for Wallace to not let her get away with that.  In one of her WH “press briefings” she would have dodged it by saying that she’s already answered the question many times.   But in a one on one interview at Fox News, she’s screwed.  Can’t go to another question.  Can’t call out Fox News for anti trump bias.  Can’t do anything but sit there looking dumber than normal.  

I especially liked how he anticipated her talking points and had the facts to shut her down.

My guess is that she will punish Wallace by keeping WH staff away from his show for at least several months.

its not impossible that a middle eastern terrorist has come across the southern border but it’s obvious that the WH can’t point to one.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good for Wallace to not let her get away with that.  In one of her WH “press briefings” she would have dodged it by saying that she’s already answered the question many times.   But in a one on one interview at Fox News, she’s screwed.  Can’t go to another question.  Can’t call out Fox News for anti trump bias.  Can’t do anything but sit there looking dumber than normal.  

I especially liked how he anticipated her talking points and had the facts to shut her down.

My guess is that she will punish Wallace by keeping WH staff away from his show for at least several months.

its not impossible that a middle eastern terrorist has come across the southern border but it’s obvious that the WH can’t point to one.

Why do they just say "terrorist?" Why are they afraid to say "radical Islamic terrorist?" Is there another kind of terrorist that we're worried about? If all these terrorists are flooding across our southern border, why haven't any of them committed an act of terror? Why have none of them been jailed, named, and their intended targets identified?

Because it's all bullshit, that's why. There are no terrorists coming across our southern border. No Muslims, radical or otherwise. The only example of would-be Jihadists trying to cross the border illegally that I know of happened at the Canadian border during the Bush/Cheney administration. 

It's just one more example of how Dubya foreshadowed all of this. By declaring an abstract "War on Terror" without any clearly defined objective or what would constitute victory, we're placed in a perpetual state of emergency. The term "terrorist" can be adapted as a label for any perceived enemy and we've seen it adopted by dictators all over the world. Trump is just reading from the authoritarian handbook. Again. As always. 

Another Admin/Fox News argument are about the actual violent crimes committed by illegal immigrants.  Which anyone would say should be stopped.   I think we can agree on that 100%   However the argument is put out that it doesn't matter how much money we spend on border security even if we can stop just ONE violent crime.   that argument doesn't hold any weight.  While we want to stop all violent crime, there is just a reality to how many resources we can spend.  Unfortunately we sometimes have to make tough cost/benefit analysis and at the end of the day we can't stop all crime.  

19 minutes ago, retread said:

Yes but they are more likely to vote democrat, which is the real crime. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, retread said:

I'm not aware that there are formal studies that suggest otherwise. 

1 hour ago, UncleCharlie said:

Opinion done right.....it says it right there on the billboard.

Why does anyone think it is an actual news outlet?

1.  Because lots of people are dumb.

2.  Because it says "News" right on their logo.

edit - meaning the "Fox News" logo, not the new mobile nation crap.  But see #1.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The next decade will be interesting.  The right has no idea that they've ceded every disqualified by electing Trump.  Had an affair?  Nope.  Failed business?  Nope.  Sexual assault?  Nope.  The list goes on.  That doesn't mean they won't try, mind you, but it's a different game now and it'll take them awhile tor realize it, especially the evangelicals.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The next decade will be interesting.  The right has no idea that they've ceded every disqualified by electing Trump.  Had an affair?  Nope.  Failed business?  Nope.  Sexual assault?  Nope.  The list goes on.  That doesn't mean they won't try, mind you, but it's a different game now and it'll take them awhile tor realize it, especially the evangelicals.

I’ve been saying the “but Trump” whataboutisms will haunt the Republicans for a generation.