Vice President tells NASA to get to the Moon in 5 years.

atomheartbevo

I'm thinking this is a great idea. It will help get NASA back on track after a decade of global warming and environmental research. By getting us back involved in space travel it should help us get ready for a mars mission in the future.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

There were a hell of a lot of technological advances made as a direct result of the first moon race.  Many of these advances were transferred into consumer products and that helped U.S. industries become leaders in their fields.  And no I'm not talking about Tang.

Tom Wolfe has an essay about the integrated circuit and sort of presents the opposite cause-effect.  It was going to be invented regardless because of the immense consumer need for it. And we got to the moon because of it. 

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

From my very limited understanding, I think some of the plans for Mars include the use of the Moon as a way-station or launch-point for missions.

2 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

It was explained earlier but the moon will be the launch point for further exploration.

I could be wrong, And @RamjetFDOcan correct me, but the only reason to use the Moon is if you already have a refinery producing rocket fuel there.  Otherwise, you could end up hauling fuel for a trip to the Moon, and then to Mars. 

We are many, many years from having a theoretical refinery producing enough fuel to be useful, and there is nothing in the budget for a refinery (which would cost another $100 billion or three).   Hell, there is nothing in the budget for this now.  They are talking about reorienting NASA and killing off some of its responsibilities and moving the money around as it is.  

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Is it safe to read this thread, or has it turned into the typical Surley bitch fest?

Hold on, let me start a debate on where the Saturn V (or its  descendants) would be if we had spent the past 50 years refining it instead of dumping money into the Shuttle - more powerful engines, lighter weight, larger capacity. 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

There were a hell of a lot of technological advances made as a direct result of the first moon race.  Many of these advances were transferred into consumer products and that helped U.S. industries become leaders in their fields.  And no I'm not talking about Tang.

That powder gets everywhere in zero gravity.

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

He was Macolm’s son. 

No, Jupiter was the son of Saturn.  Malcolm's son was Malikah, the God of Wayfarers. 

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

50 years ago I thought we would have a permanent base on the Moon and would’ve made several exploratory manned trips to Mars by the year 2000. Am terribly disappointed.

well, if you hadn't personally participated the burning of the Library at Alexandria, we'd already have accomplished all that and more.  I hope your luddite futility has given you something to think about, lo these many years.  Sickie. 

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Speaking of Tang, its hard to believe nobody has ever had sex in space.  Unless Ramjet has some top secret info.

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Speaking of Tang, its hard to believe nobody has ever had sex in space.  Unless Ramjet has some top secret info.

Interestingly, women can't get pregnant in space. Zero gravity works like a hot tub. The sperm have no chance.

21 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I am in H-Ville this week for work. Fucker caused me all kinds of traffic issues this morning. I was trying to figure out why there were bomb sniffing dogs checking out cones in the construction zone this morning. 

I went in before 6 and saw nothing..   Early bird avoids the mess

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Interestingly, women can't get pregnant in space. Zero gravity works like a hot tub. The sperm have no chance.

That sounds like a benefit, not a problem.  The 3rd astronaut that has to use the room after you're done probably ain't gonna be too happy though.

57 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Don’t mean to sound pedantic, but “being in space” and “zero gravity” are not the same thing.

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting vid about why we can't just rebuild the Rocketdyne F-1 engines from the Apollo era.  And it's not because someone accidentally deleted the records while screwing around in Photoshop:  

because BYU doesnt have a good engineering curriculum??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting vid about why we can't just rebuild the Rocketdyne F-1 engines from the Apollo era.  And it's not because someone accidentally deleted the records while screwing around in Photoshop:  

Will always remember growing up and NASA testing that engine. We lived about ten miles from the stand and it shook the house and windows like a large earthquake - plus a huge amount of noise came with it.  You never knew when they would light on either.

Edited by AUinHsv

3 hours ago, gecko said:

I remember when we use to do cool stuff like this.  Now we spend all our money on old people who didn't have a plan and younger people who want hand outs.

Is that CR enough for you...?

Just wait for the outcry when the Colonial Union turns our geriatrics into green super soldiers and only selects third worlders for colonists. 

Curios Droid is a great channel to sub on YouTube for you fellow nerds
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'm thinking this is a great idea. It will help get NASA back on track after a decade of global warming and environmental research. By getting us back involved in space travel it should help us get ready for a mars mission in the future.

Indeed, there has been a bit of sheer lunacy at that institution.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:13 PM, Anastasis said:

We went to moon on the back of a military cold war missile development/space race justification for funding.  Can we find another similar type justification to go back? Cause I don't see that happening. 

We could acknowledge global warming is real, that we aren’t going to do anything about it here, and just plan for off-world colonization