2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

They gave up nothing in the Toronto deal at least.  Beer and Rojas are good prospects.  They need to trade Greinke this winter.  He’s not worth 50 million over the next 2 years.  He’s been losing 1-2 mph every season.  He might not be able to hit 90 next year and his breaking stuff has not been that good.

Edited by kevwun

Seems we just need to teach Alvarez to add a couple degrees launch angle to his RF rockets, so they go ahead and leave the stadium at over 100 mph. The ball Altuve was thrown out on against the Rays got to the wall and back to the fielder so quickly there was a play at the plate. Had that shot and the one to Judge been lofted more, we might have finished Tampa in under five games and then rallied last night. Guess he'll have to work on those finer points in spring training.

13 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Lunhow got pantsed in the ZG trade. 0-2 in the playoffs. And that’s the only reason he was acquired

No, he was also acquired because the club has pretty much nothing behind JV and the hopefully-healthy LMJ starting next season. 

Greinke isn't particularly dominant, but he was damn good in '19...and outside of JV, there's not much else to provide confidence going into 2020. 

It may turn out to be a bad trade, though - don't disagree there. But that hasn't been determined yet. Greinke wasn't awful last night; the bats were. 

One hand I can see us bouncing back today
But on the other I can also see us giving it up again...like Boston did to us last year in our house.

The offense has shutdown. We haven’t seen enough evidence in the past 6 post season games to think otherwise.

On friday I convinced myself “it was just the Rays pitching that got us”. I’m unsure now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

But on the other I can also see us giving it up again...like Boston did to us last year in our house.

The offense has shutdown. We haven’t seen enough evidence in the past 6 post season games to think otherwise.

On friday I convinced myself “it was just the Rays pitching that got us”. I’m unsure now...

Same, we pick the worst times to shit the bed

26 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

This slump dates back to the last month or so of the season when Brantley started going ice cold. He had been consistently good all year while other players had typical ups and downs. I recall thinking "this guy never slumps, whoever called him a professional hitter was right". Then he fell off a cliff. The rest of the bats mostly followed. 

Has a team wide slump ever corrected itself in the middle of the playoffs?  I can't think of a time where it happened, but maybe it has. Just need someone to be the first and lead the team out of it. I actually think it has to be Springer. If he wakes up, everyone else will. If he doesn't, nobody will. 

• Like 1

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

This slump dates back to the last month or so of the season when Brantley started going ice cold. He had been consistently good all year while other players had typical ups and downs. I recall thinking "this guy never slumps, whoever called him a professional hitter was right". Then he fell off a cliff. The rest of the bats mostly followed. 

Has a team wide slump ever corrected itself in the middle of the playoffs?  I can't think of a time where it happened, but maybe it has. Just need someone to be the first and lead the team out of it. I actually think it has to be Springer. If he wakes up, everyone else will. If he doesn't, nobody will. 

Springer does seem like the straw that stirs the drink in this lineup. He seems streaky as hell, but his hot streaks are often incredible. 

Anyway, as frustrating as the offense has been...consider the 2017 ALCS. Astros were shut out in a game started by...Tanaka. They scored 2, 2, 1, 4 an 0 for a total of 9 runs in the first 5 games. Then scored 7 and 4 in last 2. 

It happens. Teams generally slump...until they don't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Offense is offensive 

Give Tanaka some credit. We might not have been good, but he was pitching as great as anyone last night. Not much we could've done about it when he's pitching that well.

The Yankees aren't shitty. Nor mediocre. These are the two best teams in baseball going head to head, no question. 

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yep. Choke fest so far

Oh for Pete Sampras' sake. 

We're one game into the ALCS. We got here through a WC team with amazingly good pitching (ask the Dodgers and Cardinals about how easy that is). We faced the toughest pitcher to beat in the postseason, on a team that is easily as loaded as ours.

In the unlikely scenario we get swept, maybe I'll entertain the notion that we choked, but I'll probably reject it even then.

we're not exactly facing the orioles here

Once again...anyone who thinks Greinke was the issue last night is a dumb motherfucker

Quality start against the yankees i will take every time.

Springer, Brantley(even with a single last night), Correa, Yuli, Alvarez lack of power all of a sudden, are all wayyy more concerning.

#CrushCity needs to make a return quick

• Like 2

The offense feasted on the crappy pitching of the Mariners and Orioles of the league all season to win 107. When they played better pitching teams - A’s, Rays, etc. it was more even.  Like everybody else.  No surprise there.  I like the Astros chance tonight.  JV goes 7-8 strong and the offense gets it going. 

The offense feasted on the crappy pitching of the Mariners and Orioles of the league all season to win 107. When they played better pitching teams - A’s, Rays, etc. it was more even.  Like everybody else.  No surprise there.  I like the Astros chance tonight.  JV goes 7-8 strong and the offense gets it going. 

This take is stupid and you obviously didn't think, before you posted. The last season series we had with the Rays we scored 31 runs in 3 games. We score 15 and 11 off the top of my head on the A's.

We didn't just feast on bottom feeders. We fucked up the majority of the league.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Please post less, thanks 

This take is stupid and you obviously didn't think, before you posted. The last season series we had with the Rays we scored 31 runs in 3 games. We score 15 and 11 off the top of my head on the A's.

We didn't just feast on bottom feeders. We fucked up the majority of the league.

Agreed.
We played the schedule just like everyone else. Yanks feasted on Jays and Orioles and slumping Sox. We had a wild card finalist A’s in our division.

And often we kicked ass wout a fully healthy team. Everyone stepped up.

Unfortunately the Yanks were hurt all season too and now clicking. Fuckers.