[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

CDC's hires before Texas: 

• Vic Schaefer - 221–62 at Miss State, 2 national title appearances
  • Mike White - 435–111–1 at Oregon, 5 conference titles, 5 WCWs appearances
  • Bob Bowman - 2 Pac 12 titles, 1 national title at ASU 
  • Edrick Floreal - 2015 women's outdoor runner up at Kentucky, eight top 5 women's outdoor finishes, 6 indoor and outdoor men top 22 finishes

None of those indicate we'd even glance at a HS coach. Period. His other 2 hires (RT - took us to the Elite Eight) and Berque (10 years at Michigan and led the team to a title as interim HC 2019) were promotions for interim coaches who led their teams to deep postseason runs or championships. 

He's going to nail the baseball hire.  This isn't Mike Perrin running a search to land our 6th choice after a month of being turned down by everyone else. 

Steve Sarkisian? And yes, obviously he was not the lone person driving the bus on that hire.

Putting aside the nonsense about hiring a HS coach.....Odds are he will make a great hire, but it is a different battlefield when hiring for a Big 3 sport than hiring for Swimming and Diving or Track and Field or Tennis. The fact we care about those type of non-revenue sports at the level we do puts us at an advantage over 90% of schools.

I do agree that having a real AD should make the search a lot smoother this go-around.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

CDC's hires before Texas: 

• Vic Schaefer - 221–62 at Miss State, 2 national title appearances
  • Mike White - 435–111–1 at Oregon, 5 conference titles, 5 WCWs appearances
  • Bob Bowman - 2 Pac 12 titles, 1 national title at ASU 
  • Edrick Floreal - 2015 women's outdoor runner up at Kentucky, eight top 5 women's outdoor finishes, 6 indoor and outdoor men top 22 finishes

None of those indicate we'd even glance at a HS coach. Period. His other 2 hires (RT - took us to the Elite Eight) and Berque (10 years at Michigan and led the team to a title as interim HC 2019) were promotions for interim coaches who led their teams to deep postseason runs or championships. 

He's going to nail the baseball hire.  This isn't Mike Perrin running a search to land our 6th choice after a month of being turned down by everyone else. 

You left out the beach volleyball dude.

13 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Team ERA by year and pitching coach:

2014:  2.25  - not David Pierce
2015:  3.27 - not David Pierce
2016:  4.08 - not David Pierce
2017:  3.15 - not David Pierce
2018:  4.24 - not David Pierce
2019:  4.37 - not David Pierce
2020:  2.59 - not David Pierce
2021:  2.93 - not David Pierce
2022:  4.28 - not David Pierce
2023:  4.18 - not David Pierce
2024:  5.12 - DAVID PIERCE

🧐

Was Pierce unable to find a pitching coach willing to come to Texas and work as an assistant under him, or did he just, outta the blue, decide that he could do a better job himself?  Did one lead to the other?  Seems like the dumbest decision ever, but…I’m no coach.

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Was Pierce unable to find a pitching coach willing to come to Texas and work as an assistant under him, or did he just, outta the blue, decide that he could do a better job himself?  Did one lead to the other?  Seems like the dumbest decision ever, but…I’m no coach.

Don’t underestimate the depth of pitching knowledge required to throw BP to a ML team …

• Haha 1

I would like to thank one Rodney Terry who was good enough this year that our AD won't need to be distracted and can be fully focused on firing David Pierce and hiring his replacement.  holy shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

18 hours ago, petscii said:

Adrian Alaniz, please pick up the burnt orange courtesy phone. 

Adrian Alainiz had a chance two years ago to get into the college ranks as an Assistant or even a Head Coach at a small college, but decided to stay with his super team at Sinton. 

He’s an alum…… but hard pass right now.  

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There is zero chance Canham leaves.

Idk about that

On Bobby’s show earlier they had a list with Canham  as well as the Tennessee coach Vitello being realistic targets. I forgot the other names but those two. Sparked my interest 

It certainly is possible that a call from Texas to Canham wouldn't result in him leaving but besides swimming and diving, baseball is the one sport that call/opening means a ton.

Our AD is not a shitshow like it was when we hired Pierce and the conference situation might make him think about it pretty hard.

34 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Idk about that

On Bobby’s show earlier they had a list with Canham  as well as the Tennessee coach Vitello being realistic targets. I forgot the other names but those two. Sparked my interest 

I will never root for this program again if Vitello is the coach.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

Idk about that

Gerry keeps inferring Bakich without saying his name.

I want to welcome everyone to the island I’ve been inhabiting for awhile now. It’s strange to see almost everyone flip in unison to the realization he is not the future. 

I originally thought he would get next year to turn it around, but based on what I’m hearing, I’m not so sure. The depth of the drop off is too much. There are some proud folks that aren’t happy, and I sure hope they follow thru. It’s time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I want to welcome everyone to the island I’ve been inhabiting for awhile now. It’s strange to see almost everyone flip in unison to the realization he is not the future. 

I originally thought he would get next year to turn it around, but based on what I’m hearing, I’m not so sure. The depth of the drop off is too much. There are some proud folks that aren’t happy, and I sure hope they follow thru. It’s time. 

Giving him 2025 would set us back even further behind our future SEC peers. It’s not worth wasting year 1 of our new home by keeping him.  When you move, you throw away the crap you don’t need or want anymore. Pierce is some crappy piece of furniture you don’t need in your new house 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Pretty sure you mean implying, not inferring.

Pretty sure I meant what I said, but you didn't know what you said.

gerund or present participle: inferring

definition: deducing or concluding (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.

Gerry was inferring Bakich is the replacement baseball coach he would get without giving us his reasons nor saying the name, "Bakich." He just keeps saying, "Don't sleep on the Clemson guy. / I'd be wanting the Clemson guy. /etc."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

definition: deducing or concluding (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.

Gerry was inferring Bakich is the replacement baseball coach he would get without giving us his reasons nor saying the name, "Bakich." He just keeps saying, "Don't sleep on the Clemson guy. / I'd be wanting the Clemson guy. /etc."

Ok, fair enough. I knew exactly what I said.

It wasn't clear to me what you were communicating that he said.

20 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

You are inferring that Gerry is implying that it’s Bakich. Did you ever attend the 9th grade?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

There is zero chance Canham leaves.

Dumb take. 

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I will never root for this program again if Vitello is the coach.

I don’t know how we’d manage. 

——

I assume Canham isn’t the first choice.  That said, Beau Vine wants everyone to know his pursuit is fruitless, guys. No way. Canham cannot be money whipped into a conference with a pulse. Not happening. 

GTFO and leave the naïveté to new visitors, dipshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I asked a former player who is still involved with the program what he thinks about the Pierce situation. He rattled off about a dozen talking points as if he had been waiting for someone to ask him. Most notable ones for me were that his players don't like him and his coaches really don't like him. He said everyone knew the score once Williams and Tulo were gone. This guy said he didn't know anything about plans to make a change but that he wouldn't be surprised just because so many people around the program dislike him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

I asked a former player who is still involved with the program what he thinks about the Pierce situation. He rattled off about a dozen talking points as if he had been waiting for someone to ask him. Most notable ones for me were that his players don't like him and his coaches really don't like him. He said everyone knew the score once Williams and Tulo were gone. This guy said he didn't know anything about plans to make a change but that he wouldn't be surprised just because so many people around the program dislike him. 

I KNEW IT!!!!!!

no way we’re this bad, they just hate playing for him, and it was a reason TEXAS couldn’t get quality coaches here. 

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Edited by D3zii

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Dumb take. 

I don’t know how we’d manage. 

——

I assume Canham isn’t the first choice.  That said, Beau Vine wants everyone to know his pursuit is fruitless, guys. No way. Canham cannot be money whipped into a conference with a pulse. Not happening. 

GTFO and leave the naïveté to new visitors, dipshit. 

n5g8QN.gif

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

I’m with Beau Vine… Canham is Corvallis to the core. Never say never, but guarantee the Reser family won’t let him go anywhere without a fight. Guy is a legend down there.

Down there? 

17 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Augie to current staff:

gives me chills EVERYTIME I watch. It is the MOST impressive meaningful and impactful ass chewing I've ever seen. I heart Augie. miss him (in his prime) so much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I was ok with him until about 6 games into this season. He's dead to me. His ceiling is a CWS appearance. it's hard to pull the trigger early with enough appearances but as soon as you realize he won't ever win it all, he's got to go. I'm fine being patient with a coach that will field solid teams, fight like hell in the post season and hang around Omaha with a chance to win. It takes A LOT to win it all. But the ceiling has to be championships, not appearances. Pierce lost me this season. get him out.

I'll leave the choosing to CDC, I'm not a professional coach hirer.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, troph said:

I was ok with him until about 6 games into this season. He's dead to me. His ceiling is a CWS appearance. it's hard to pull the trigger early with enough appearances but as soon as you realize he won't ever win it all, he's got to go. I'm fine being patient with a coach that will field solid teams, fight like hell in the post season and hang around Omaha with a chance to win. It takes A LOT to win it all. But the ceiling has to be championships, not appearances. Pierce lost me this season. get him out.

I'll leave the choosing to CDC, I'm not a professional coach hirer.

He lost me Tuesday night.  

Handicapping the coaching possibilities is interesting.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was hyper fucking annoyed in the 2021 CWS when we were playing Mississippi State when in the 9th inning of a tie ballgame he pulled the Hispanic Titanic and then dropped a sacrifice bunt.  WTAF?

Either bunt Melendez over or pinch run and steal the fucking base without giving up the automatic out but you don't pull your best hitter from a potential extra inning game and then sac bunt the pinch runner over.

Moo State would learn from Pierce's fuck up and as soon as they got the HBP in their half of the inning they put the pinch runner in and stole the base and won the game on the next pitch.

Even the fucking announcer says "That's a big bat to take out of the lineup in the event you go to extra innings"

When you get called out by the announcer you probably shouldn't be coaching at Texas......

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

He's posting from Alaska. 

Naw. Out here in the beautiful Chehalem Mountains in Oregon wine country. Surrounded by beaver(s).

To CTJ's point, if the Pac-12 was still intact, I think it would be a hard pull to get Canham. He's got them rolling, low-pressure gig, young kids in school, PNW guy, blah, blah. 

The lack of conference affiliation and our checkbook may render all that moot. I'd be thrilled if we could poach him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

Holy shit, how long did it take you to type that?

I typed it on my phone and it autocorrected to include the accents. Unlike some buffoons who claim that autocorrect is the accidental destroyer of their grammar and spelling on this site (ahem ... @SydneyCarton ), my autocorrect simply exists to add the chef's kisses to my stunning missives.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I typed it on my phone and it autocorrected to include the accents. Unlike some buffoons who claim that autocorrect is the accidental destroyer of their grammar and spelling on this site (ahem ... @SydneyCarton ), my autocorrect simply exists to add the chef's kisses to my stunning missives.

My autocorrect is similarly helpful about 2 times out of 10.

The other 8 times I am correcting my autocorrect.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I will not coöperate with nor coördinate this naïveté.

This, you must muse and think hardly upon.  Lulz.