Herman Edwards, lolololololololololololololololololololol

Parliament

On 3/31/2018 at 8:35 AM, Machinator said:
On 3/31/2018 at 8:35 AM, Machinator said:

Arizona State University and Vice President of University Athletics

Ray Anderson has unveiled plans for a restructured ASU football model and named former NFL head coach Herman Edwards as the 24th head coach of Sun Devil Football, pending approval by the Arizona Board of Regents.

The department's New Leadership Model will be similar to an NFL approach using a general manager structure. It's a collaborative approach to managing the ASU football program that includes sport and administrative divisions, which will operate as distinct, but collective units focused on elevating all aspects of Sun Devil Football. This structure will allow the department to form a multi-layered method to the talent evaluation and recruiting processes, increase its emphasis on both student-athlete and coach development and retention, and provide a boost in resource allocation and generation.

"Our goal for this football program is to reach unprecedented heights, and therefore we need to find a way to operate more innovatively and efficiently than we have in the past," Anderson said. "In the spirit of innovation, our vision for this program is to have a head coach who serves as a CEO and is the central leader with a collaborative staff around him that will elevate the performance of players and coaches on the field, in the classroom and in our community. Equally important, the head coach will be a dynamic and tireless recruiter."

Edwards, who will oversee the New Leadership Model, arrives in Tempe with a football legacy that has impacted thousands, whether as a player, coach, analyst, motivational speaker and author, or community advocate and philanthropist.

The New Leadership Model will allow for resource sharing and strategic planning between the football staff and administrators who are directly involved with the program. The administrative division will be primarily composed of Anderson, Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director Jean Boyd and Senior Associate Athletics Director Scottie Graham. The sport division will operate with an experienced and senior football administrator, Senior Associate Athletic Director Tim Cassidy, helping to manage day-to-day operations, along with a variety of staffers responsible for player development, player personnel, and recruiting, among other areas.

Sun Devil Football's existing recruiting infrastructure will be upgraded through additional staff support and evaluation resources, by instilling a culture of accountability at all levels, and building long-term relationships in communities across the country to help ensure recruiting quality and consistency. Both the sport and administrative divisions will play key roles in student-athlete development.

The New Leadership Model affords coordinators and assistant coaches more flexibility in how they develop student-athletes on the field, and enables Sun Devil Football to build on the 'Championship Life' program already in place through the Office of Student-Athlete Development to better equip student-athletes with the tools and skills necessary to succeed in their respective future endeavors.

Boyd is a former ASU football student-athlete who has risen to the role of Executive Senior Associate Athletic Director after 22-plus years of experience in Sun Devil Athletics. He has overseen the dramatic evolution of the department's Student-Athlete Development efforts and has been nationally recognized.

Graham, who joined Sun Devil Athletics in June 2014, has served as a sport administrator with additional responsibilities surrounding student-athlete development and welfare for the past three-plus years. He will transition to a new role where he will serve as the liaison between the sport and administrative divisions. He has an extensive background with the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) as he was the Director of Player Engagement for four years before arriving in Tempe, playing a key role in cultivating, maintaining and enhancing relationships with current and former players, business partners and other stakeholders.

Edwards will take a proactive approach to developing coordinators and assistant coaches, drawing on his nearly three decades of NFL experience in a variety of capacities and wide range of leadership positions within both the sport of football and in other endeavors.

So apparently Herm had a presser recently .  I’ll try and post a link. He proceeded to put the entire team on notice and stated that guys are going to be cut soon and removed from scholarship. He said something to the affect of everyone knew that was the deal and that guys that are hurt, he has no film on, so they are most likely gone. 

This is going to be such a glorious dumpster fire of a team/program to watch     How on earth or why on earth would you go their knowing how you will be treated.  I know all scholarships are 1 year deals, but in good faith if a guy is progressing, in good standing acedemically etc... why would you play there with such an overt threat of getting cut. 

Gotta get the roster down to 53 before the start of the season!

Arizona State football is trying to become more NFL-like, and first-year head coach Herm Edwards sent a harsh NFL-style message to his team Tuesday.

Edwards told his players before they began the fourth week of spring practice that cuts likely are coming, including to some with scholarships if performance dictates after the spring game April 13.

Edwards, an NFL head coach for eight years, then repeated that message to the media after practice, saying any scholarship players who are cut would retain their financial aid if they opt to stay at ASU as a student.

ASU XTRA APP: Get latest news, analysis, scores, photos

“There was a message sent, and the message was very clear that we’re in the process of evaluating players between now and next week,” Edwards said. “You’re going to find whether you continue to be part of it or not. I told them that when I first took the job.

Arizona State head coach Herm Edwards says he may cut scholarship players after spring practice, if poor performance dictates it.

“I told some guys who continue to stay in the training room, you’ve got no tape. I can’t grade you if you’re not on tape. All of a sudden, guys got well. It’s amazing. Sometimes these players think with 85 scholarships, I’m good. You’re not good. You’ve earned a scholarship because of your ability to be a student-athlete. It’s a combination of both. When you don’t meet that standard, there’s consequences. Consequences are sometimes tough. If I don’t apply those consequences, then I’m not doing my job as head coach.”

“You’re accountable to compete every day,” Edwards said. “You don’t lose your scholarship, you lose the ability to play. It’s always worked that way in football. That’s how you become a competitive team. You want to get in the two-deep. You should want to play. You don’t want to sit four years and sit the bench.”

Edwards said having fewer players short term due to cuts would not hurt because, typically, 45 players are used in a game.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

So apparently Herm had a presser recently .  I’ll try and post a link. He proceeded to put the entire team on notice and stated that guys are going to be cut soon and removed from scholarship. He said something to the affect of everyone knew that was the deal and that guys that are hurt, he has no film on, so they are most likely gone. 

This is going to be such a glorious dumpster fire of a team/program to watch     How on earth or why on earth would you go their knowing how you will be treated.  I know all scholarships are 1 year deals, but in good faith if a guy is progressing, in good standing acedemically etc... why would you play there with such an overt threat of getting cut. 

At least get your facts straight.

He stated that the scholarship would not be revoked, only that they would not be on the team.

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Hurt so cut? That’s savage

10 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Gotta get down to the 53 Man roster.  Can't carry dead weight.  But it's cool; they'll just put them on the practice squad.

He said he only needs 45 . So the guys that aren't cutting it, get to stay on scholly , but don't bother coming out for practice, we only need 45.

13 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Actually, in the Pac-12, they're guaranteed all 4 years.

1 hour ago, SDG said:

If I was an administrator or in the athletic department I wouldn’t be happy hearing him say that he’s telling players they need to “get out of the training room” if they want to keep their scholarships. This is the same dumbass attitude that perpetuated the problem of so many NFL guys being sent back out on the field when they couldn’t even remember their own name. But I guess this is exactly what they signed up for.

3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

He said he only needs 45 . So the guys that aren't cutting it, get to stay on scholly , but don't bother coming out for practice, we only need 45.

So a 2-deep at every position plus a kicker/punter? Do injuries never happen at ASU?

If I were a slacking player, I'd call his bluff.

On 3/31/2018 at 7:43 AM, Upgrayedd said:

I think it’s going to work out better than I originally thought.   He had an upper PAC class with a short timeline.  California recruitment is up by 100x with a pipeline into LB Poly established.  Practice reports have been positive from long time observers.  

Herm's "pipeline" to Poly will be after SC, then UCLA, take what they need.

On 4/4/2018 at 9:29 PM, Auto Driller said:

If I was an administrator or in the athletic department I wouldn’t be happy hearing him say that he’s telling players they need to “get out of the training room” if they want to keep their scholarships. This is the same dumbass attitude that perpetuated the problem of so many NFL guys being sent back out on the field when they couldn’t even remember their own name. But I guess this is exactly what they signed up for.

This

On 4/4/2018 at 6:47 PM, Parliament said:

He has a point I guess. If you have players THAT cancerous, get them away from the good ones. Bad apples and such.

Remember this was Dick Rod's team. No idea how bad it is over there.

good lord you're a fucking idiot.

• 1 month later...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2018/05/10/herm-edwards-plan-put-arizona-state-among-elite-college-football/596516002/

Some interesting snippets:

“We’ve got a slogan on our shirts I gave to the players,” he says – and he bounces back into view to display a gray workout shirt with a pitchfork on the front and a message on the back:

“WORDS AND ACTIONS.”

“Here’s what I tell ‘em,” says Edwards, referring to his Arizona State players. “‘Hey man, does that match up? … If you can do that, you’ll be OK. If you can just do that in life, you’ll be OK.’”

All those years out of coaching, and even longer away from the college game? He says he wasn’t really out of it.

“When you’re on TV, you’re still coaching, believe it or not,” Edwards says. “You’re just coaching America, you’re not coaching one team.”

There was also his annual dip into coaching high-school all-stars in the Under Armour All America game, which he says “got my juices flowing.” More to the point, Edwards says he found himself, as a TV analyst, studying pro and college football from a big-picture perspective; he says it broadened his knowledge of the game.

“You’re still immersed in football,” he says, “even if you’re not coaching it.”

At least on the public relations front, the entire idea has taken some getting used to. There was that introductory news conference last December, which included Edwards’ current agent taking a turn at the mic and an odd moment when a reporter introduced himself as being from Devils Digest – and things briefly seemed to spin off the rails.

“Devils Digest, huh?” Edwards asked, and then noted that he is Catholic and to “watch out for them devils.”

At that point, some wondered, in all seriousness: Did Edwards even know the Arizona State mascot?

“It’s funny,” he says, laughing, and he notes that he was recruited by Frank Kush and Arizona State (he chose California). “… I was messing with the guy. I was being funny. That’s how I am. I like to have fun. I think people that knew me just go, ‘Oh, there’s coach, he’s having fun.’”

Edwards says the only thing that threw him, just a little, was to learn Arizona State’s primary logo is no longer Sparky the Sun Devil, but instead a pitchfork (which he says “looks like a candle”). Sparky, he says, “is the best one! I mean, c’mon!”

Edwards, who pronounced himself amazed back in January and February by all that recruiting entailed (unlike in the NFL, “they get to pick you!”) seems to have settled in. He says he spends between two and three hours daily talking on the phone with recruits or evaluating recruits on video, and that his time at ESPN was an asset; when he made in-home visits, “the whole neighborhood” knew he was there. And here’s a note to watch for the future: Edwards says he’s had former players call him to say they want to send their teenage sons to play for him.

Many of those offspring would presumably fit the recruiting metrics Edwards has devised for the program. He jumps up again and grabs several sheets of paper from his desk. Spreading them out on the table, he explains a position-specific grid of tangible measurements – the desired (if not quite required) height, weight, speed – layered atop intangible assessments. Combined, they produce color-coded grades ranging from “Rare” all the way to “NGE” (Not Good Enough), and they’re based on Edwards’ determination that the program to emulate in the Pac-12 is Stanford, because of the Cardinal’s consistency over the last decade.

They also learn, he says, from a culture of constant competition. It isn’t a unique concept, but it brings us to another ripple from earlier this spring, when Edwards told reporters that after spring practices finished, he would meet with some players and might cut them from the team.

“You know what? Everybody does it,” he says. “This is not the first it’s ever been done in college football. But you know what? I said it. Most don’t say it. I gave (the players) forewarning: ‘Guys, this is how it works, OK? No one’s fault. I’m not pointing at you. Your resume is on that tape.’ I don’t know – that’s how it works."

He’s right on both counts. And it’s the second part – the bluntness – that’s both refreshing and at the same time a little disconcerting, a reminder that maybe Edwards is still learning exactly what he’s gotten into. There’s a reason why, even as other college football coaches essentially, yeah, cut players, they don’t trumpet it. But Edwards says he doesn’t care.

“You’ve got to compete!” he says. “You can’t all of the sudden, ‘Oh, I made it.’ You ain’t made it! I competed every day as a professional football player. … You’ve got to like competing. That’s how your team gets better, when you have competition every day.”

I heard him speak to a group last month.  After his talk, the consensus among the ASU alums who were there was "I wasn't sure the hire was going to work when they announced it.  I'm even less sure now."

31 minutes ago, field said:

I heard him speak to a group last month.  After his talk, the consensus among the ASU alums who were there was "I wasn't sure the hire was going to work when they announced it.  I'm even less sure now."

That the alums "weren't sure" after it was announced tells you everything you need to know about the quality of education at that school.

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That the alums "weren't sure" after it was announced tells you everything you need to know about the quality of education at that school.

If only there was a certain Texas site that hosted a litany of ASU broads, at Lake Havasu, to reference for education purposes. 

55 minutes ago, field said:

AVN awards?

• Like 1

Isnt the AD also his agent or some kinda shit like that? I dunno. I should. I'm an ASU grad school alum. But i'm just as invested as yall are watching this trainwreck from afar. Since I have a primary team who already shits the bed often, this'll just be gravy if Herm crazies his way to a 10 win season. It could happen.

2 hours ago, Sidney Sherman said:

They will still beat Rumblins Arizona.

i really hate when i'll be proven correct on this, but khalil tate is about to wreck shop on pac 12 defenses in that simplified mazzone scheme. 

so how does this all play out.....so want herm to fail because well totally stupid idea....want rumlin to fail because well former aggie coach.....but wait wouldn't it be funny to have him do better at AU than A&M does without him

then of course want A&M to fail

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-18/2018-texas-am-aggies-football-schedule.php

I have A&M at 7-5 or perhaps 6-6 with guaranteed losses to Clemson, Alabama, Auburn and LSU and then they lose one to MSU, Ole' Miss, SC or Arkansas (finally)

if they can get on a run after being 2-2 playing dog shit plus Clemson and Alabama and then beat Arkansas, Kentucky and SC all in a row then who knows, but I think they lose one of those three and it falls apart from there

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-18/2018-arizona-wildcats-football-schedule.php

I think Rummy can start out 4-0 and that will shit on A&M right from the start and get their fans all pissed off and worked up, but of course "not SEC SEC SEC 4-0" so there is still hope

from there hell he beats USC I think because new QB and their coach is a chode and will be under fire after losses to Stanford and Texas....then he probably beats Cal and could lose to Utah because they play some ball control sometimes then who knows with UCLA and Oregon, he beats the Buffs, beats WSU because mike is taking this season off because no QB and got new contract and then the big ASU showdown that I have going to Rummy .....so I think Rummy is 8-4

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-18/2018-arizona-state-sun-devils-football-schedule.php

ASU is probably fucked because I can actually see them losing to UTSA, they lose to MSU easily, they lose to SDSU, and UW, then magically beat Oregon State and Colorado then lose 6 in a row to go 2-10.....shit even if they beat UTSA AND SDSU (doubtful they beat both) they still go 4-8 and they are fucked.....but herm will look great popping in on NFL halftime shows!

so I have AU 8-4 to 7-5, A&M 7-5 to 6-6 and ASU 4-8 to 2-10

it it turned out to be 7-5, 6-6 and 3-9 there would be two programs competing for space in the Golden Gate Bridge to jump off of it and one with a little hope

it it was 8-4, 6-6 and 2-10 well A&M and ASU will probably burn down their schools

I don't think anyone here would be bothered if Sumlin did well at Arizona.

Hell, if Herm and Sumlin manage to both have really good seasons (relative to expectations), it would be one of the more bizarre and entertaining stories in college football this year.

Edited by Machinator

I need to pay more attention to the football board in the OT.
This thread is of great interest to me as MSU has a home-home with the Herm'meister, with 2018 in Tempe and if he is still around at Spartan Stadium in 2019.

Hopefully that opening loss to UTSA doesn't get the Herm'sters fired up when MSU rolls in the next week. Nothing better than a front row seat to a train wreck
(and I should know, I've seen a few in East Lansing)

I need to pay more attention to the football board in the OT.

This thread is of great interest to me as MSU has a home-home with the Herm'meister, with 2018 in Tempe and if he is still around at Spartan Stadium in 2019.

Hopefully that opening loss to UTSA doesn't get the Herm'sters fired up when MSU rolls in the next week. Nothing better than a front row seat to a train wreck

(and I should know, I've seen a few in East Lansing)

c3c98bc5935aa5679c8860c0af88998d.jpg

John L. Smith is a national fucking treasure:

After Arky let him go (and he declared bankruptcy), he coached 3 years at Fort Lewis College in Durango and has now spent the last two years at... Kentucky State University?  I didn't know there was such a thing.  The "Thorobreds?"  Yes, that's how they spell it.  OK, then.

image_handler.jpg