2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

3 hours ago, Walte464 said:

Harlingen took 10+ inches in a 18 hours span. I would hope we are out of the drought now.

Wow!  Tell Harlingen if he took over 10-inches all at once and haven't had any in awhile, my suggestion is to get some healing and absorbent anal cream....

Verdict:  Two Frankies.

So, Four Frankies = utter, complete bullshit.  Zero Frankies = godzhonest truth. (patterned off of PolitiFact Pinocchios).

In reality, the thing did pretty much exactly what was forecast - blizted E and SE Texas with record rainfall and flooding.  Central Texas about what was forecat - 1"-3" eastern half of 35 corridor, up to 1" west.  Not much west of Trav/WillieCo.

It did exactly that.

However, the two Frankies come from the hype that preceded this thing back when it was out in the Caribbean, all the way up to just about when it hit the coast.  The better forecasts said not buying it, the worse ones said looks like tons of rain.  Then that set people up for thinking this was going to be a big rain event for us, although only 60 miles to the east, it was.  LaGrange had 3"-5".  But it's shit like that that gets people set up for some huge rain event and then even though it did what was forecast, they think they got boned on it again.  I didn't think it would rain all that much, but a little more than we got west of 35, maybe 1-2 inches.  Generally it was a little less.  But people expected it to pour for 2 days and that was really never in the forecast after about Monday evening.

In the end, SE part of Travis got about an inch and a half, city about 3/4-1 inch.   If the low would have kept moving NW it would have been different, but as forecast it went S/SW towards the border.  As it was, e'rrybody east of oh, say 183 down to the border got flooded.

But yeah, the forcefield ate everything up coming near us, due to the fact we were on the NW side of the trough (low) and drier air filtered down from the NE and kept it from pushing up.

Sucks to be us.

• Like 1

Not rain, but this is the de facto generic weather thread.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hottest-low-temperature-quriyat-oman-wxc/index.html

The city of Quriyat in Oman now has a dubious distinction to its name: It has recorded the highest "low" temperature in known history.

The Middle Eastern town of about 50,000 residents clocked in at a low temperature of 42.6°C (108.7°F) on June 26, 2018.

That was the lowest point of the temperature over a 24-hour period, as noted by weather expert Maximiliano Herrera. Not only did Quriyat hit that astonishing low temperature, it remained that hot for nearly 51 hours. Something to keep in mind when you make travel plans.

8 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Not rain, but this is the de facto generic weather thread.

The city of Quriyat in Oman now has a dubious distinction to its name: It has recorded the highest "low" temperature in known history.

The Middle Eastern town of about 50,000 residents clocked in at a low temperature of 42.6°C (108.7°F) on June 26, 2018.

That was the lowest point of the temperature over a 24-hour period, as noted by weather expert Maximiliano Herrera. Not only did Quriyat hit that astonishing low temperature, it remained that hot for nearly 51 hours. Something to keep in mind when you make travel plans.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hottest-low-temperature-quriyat-oman-wxc/index.html

Dayum, and I was going to spend a month there!  (I get that the article was probably being facetious, too).

Rain weather:

Today-Monday: LOL!  Hot as shit, probably finally gonna get 101°+ for 1-2 days.
Tue-Wed: Maybe.  The high slinks off to the North, and the Gulf opens up again for us.  Temps go down 4-5 degrees ad 40%+ chance of shit coming in this way.  There's a tropical wave out there (no it ain't gonna hurricane!) and those are our main summer precip.  That's how we get most of our good rainfall, and that's how it'll usually happen.

Lines up with the CPC 2-week forecast that says wetter first week of July.  Oh, the main target is... July 4th.  Boom.

4 hours ago, Orange^White said:

Is it going to rain tomorrow or not?

I am planning to watch the Austin fireworks from our paddle boards, so I don't mind a little drizzle, but I don't want to be caught in a deluge.

I can guarantee you zero rain 

Waited to see how potent the low is.  It's pretty potent.
That said, it's early July in Austin. 

I think we'll get some rain.  Shower or two.  That's what I think, anyway.

Tinkling starts in the area about noonish.
Golden showers late afternoon.  Don't build an ark.