2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

No clue why Mansfield won't open a fifth gate. 24,000 cfs coming out, but the army corp of engineers manual states they can do up to 30,000 (roughly one more floodgate).

4. Elevation 691-710. If the lake level is forecast to rise above elevation 691.0 (the top of the joint use pool), but not to exceed elevation 710.0, the rate of release, subject to the downstream control discharges specified in Table 7-1, shall be increased to 30,000 cfs and maintained until the lake level recedes below elevation 691.0.

The downstream conditions are minimal right now as well. 

No clue why Mansfield won't open a fifth gate. 24,000 cfs coming out, but the army corp of engineers manual states they can do up to 30,000 (roughly one more floodgate).
4. Elevation 691-710. If the lake level is forecast to rise above elevation 691.0 (the top of the joint use pool), but not to exceed elevation 710.0, the rate of release, subject to the downstream control discharges specified in Table 7-1, shall be increased to 30,000 cfs and maintained until the lake level recedes below elevation 691.0.

Wondering the same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Well, they were.  river is at bank-full at Bastrop and Smithville, and close to it at La Grange.  I'm sure they don't want to flood those people by releasing  too much water before they have to.

Smithville went from a 1300s CFS flow on Sunday night, to 12000 CFS today.

https://hydromet.lcra.org/riverreport/

52 minutes ago, troph said:

Lakeway Marina sent pics via email. Crazytown. Boat ramp under water, tram submerged, another 10 feet will crush that cove but they have the boats well cared for. Staff was there all night managing the docks and slips.

Thank goodness. I was beginning to be concerned that no one was caring for the boats!

7 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

These fucking dumbasses

Edited by irishtexan

31 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Well, they were.  river is at bank-full at Bastrop and Smithville, and close to it at La Grange.  I'm sure they don't want to flood those people by releasing  too much water before they have to.

Smithville went from a 1300s CFS flow on Sunday night, to 12000 CFS today.

https://hydromet.lcra.org/riverreport/

well, it's a good thing smithville is the home of hope floats:

2daf553f45a4d6040100101bf78902b5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Heard a story a while back.  When they designed the dam and the last time they had 5 or more floodgates opened, traffic was passing over the top.  Then 620 was expanded, and all traffic was diverted off the dam.  The first time they opened 5 gates after the diversion, the dam cracked due to the shift in the natural frequency (cars were offsetting the N.F. in the dam up until that point), so they won't open more than 4 unless shit really hits the fan.

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

LCRA says they plan to open eight gates on Mansfield. 

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

LCRA says they plan to open eight gates on Mansfield. 

I've seen 8 gates at Buchanan, but the flood plan updated at 1pm on LCRA's site said there is "No changes to current gate operations are planned at Mansfield Dam at this time".

not sure where you are seeing this, but current is 4.

Edited by UnivTex34

7 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

I've seen 8 gates at Buchanan, but the flood plan updated at 1pm on LCRA's site said there is "No changes to current gate operations are planned at Mansfield Dam at this time".

not sure where you are seeing this, but current is 4.

According to KXAN's live blog:

The Lower Colorado River Authority will open up to 8 floodgates at Mansfield Dam, which contains Lake Travis, in the next 24 hours. Four are currently open. If eight gates are open, it would be the most ever opened at the dam, the LCRA said, referring to this historic flooding event as "unprecedented."

Homeowners along Lake Austin — below Mansfield Dam — should take precautions ahead of possible flooding, LCRA officials said.

Lake Travis climbed 21 feet from noon Tuesday to noon Wednesday and is more than 100 percent full. In the last week, more water has been captured in Lake Travis than the city of Austin typically uses in four years.

There are a total of 24 gates on Mansfield Dam and 37 gates on Buchanan Dam, which currently has eight gates open.

KEYE:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/residents-on-lake-austin-urged-to-take-flood-precautions-as-more-floodgates-to-open

The Lower Colorado River Authority is urging residents along Lake Austin to take flood precautions as they prepare to open as man as 8 floodgates on Mansfield Dam as Lake Travis continues to rise.

Edited by Deej

29 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Heard a story a while back.  When they designed the dam and the last time they had 5 or more floodgates opened, traffic was passing over the top.  Then 620 was expanded, and all traffic was diverted off the dam.  The first time they opened 5 gates after the diversion, the dam cracked due to the shift in the natural frequency (cars were offsetting the N.F. in the dam up until that point), so they won't open more than 4 unless shit really hits the fan.

No way.  The weight of traffic on top of a giant dam would be absolutely negligible.  I'd love to see a legit report on that.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

At what point do releases from mansfield overwhelm the capacity of the downstream dams to pass through.  In other words, when do they start putting Lake Austin and Townlake's shit on blast. 

i drive on redbud between the house and the office.  that mother fucker is ROLLING right now.  five gates open at tom miller.  i do not suggest paddleboarding today.  water is some of the highest i have ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

At what point do releases from mansfield overwhelm the capacity of the downstream dams to pass through.  In other words, when do they start putting Lake Austin and Townlake's shit on blast. 

Floodgate #5 (imminent at this point) will start the rise on Lake Austin, and waterfall it down stream.  LCRA did everything short of putting an evacuation order on all Lake Austin lakefront properties.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

i think that those gates are carefully managed in coordination with each other. i drive home via redbud every day to south austin and tom miller was wide open. lcra's priorities are horseshoe bay and lake austin, probably in that order.

they will absolutely flood austin proper to keep those rich people dry.

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It would be interesting to see a computer modeling of what this whole event would like like if there were no dams, looking from the Llano down to Matagorda.

9 minutes ago, 3adays said:

Headed to the MIL ‘s house in Hudson Bend to start packing up. She says the yacht club pool and playground is under water. She thinks her house is good up to 710’  but doesn’t seem positive. 

I have sailed out of there quite a bit, used to look at the water mark on the flagpole from Christmas  of '91(?) and think holy shit , that will never happen again. I was wrong.

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

they will absolutely flood austin proper to keep those rich people dry.

Well, ignoring politics, the property value along Lady Bird probably dwarfs that along Lake Austin.  I'm pretty sure they're gonna have to follow established protocol, or expose themselves to massive inquiry in the event of an avoidable catastrophe within Austin proper.