Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

We did French toast for breakfast this morning, I don't hate it but not much of a fan.  The wife loves it is why we had it but it wasn't bad for a change every once in a while. 

Most French toast is awful. Well made French toast is wonderful like fried bread pudding. There was a joint when we lived in Portland that made French toast with this great homemade bread that was stale and then soaked overnight in the custard, and served with these carmelized bananas, spicy pecans, and a lemon cream that was one of the best breakfast things I ever ate.

One of these days I'd like to have a proper home cooked English breakfast. I've only had it once and that was at universal studios Harry Potter world.
full-english-7355w-2.thumb.jpg.681186d4feda91e917eb4deb6b4bad17.jpg
Love a full English.  It's one of the all-time greats.  I am also a fan of the full Scottish breakfast (I got this one in Glasgow...they were out of english bacon, so I got double black pudding, which made me very very happy):

0d47e00c4e7099bc5306ddffb4be5d86.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

A couple recent tries at the breakfast belt: 

Einstein's green chile bagel toasted + garden salsa spread + egg + bacon 

Chick-fil-A spicy chicken biscuit + add egg + douse with Tex Pete 

The spicy chicken biscuit was incredible. Coffee was good too.

Both sandwiches would have worked much better with a fried egg, but they don't have a griddle. I think I'll grab one and then fry an egg at home next time. 

Love a full English.  It's one of the all-time greats.  I am also a fan of the full Scottish breakfast (I got this one in Glasgow...they were out of english bacon, so I got double black pudding, which made me very very happy):

I think I’ve posted it before, but I like to riff on the Full English and make a Full Texan breakfast.

My last version was:

Smoked sausage link
Bacon
Chorizo Migas
Skillet potatoes
Refried beans
Grilled jalapeños
Tortillas
Texas toast

It did not suck.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Drool 2

I like your thinking. Lots of ways to go.

If I had time and patience

Grilled jumbo Gulf shrimp and grits
Huevos rancheros with refried beans and eggs over easy
Brisket and smoked sausage hash
Chicken fried venison backstraps with jalapeno gravy
Fresh homegrown tomatoes and cantaloupe

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I think I’ve posted it before, but I like to riff on the Full English and make a Full Texan breakfast.

My last version was:

Smoked sausage link
Bacon
Chorizo Migas
Skillet potatoes
Refried beans
Grilled jalapeños
Tortillas
Texas toast

It did not suck.

Pics ain't showing up

18 hours ago, ajax said:

One of these days I'd like to have a proper home cooked English breakfast. I've only had it once and that was at universal studios Harry Potter world.

full-english-7355w-2.thumb.jpg.681186d4feda91e917eb4deb6b4bad17.jpg

are you in austin? if so the fiesta by campus has all of the ingredients except for the tomato sauce baked beans.  i do a fry up once every couple months or so.  the kids hate it but it's something i grew up with i hope they appreciate eventually.

are you in austin? if so the fiesta by campus has all of the ingredients except for the tomato sauce baked beans.  i do a fry up once every couple months or so.  the kids hate it but it's something i grew up with i hope they appreciate eventually.

Negatory on the black pudding. I went by Fiesta a few weeks ago and hunted high and low for it. No dice. They used to have it, but not anymore (I looked in the section with all the frozen English foods, where it used to be).

You can order the Heinz English vegetarian beans from Walmart but basically any standard old style pork and beans works.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a gas stove with a center griddle last weekend. Hashbrowns with onion, garlic, and Swiss topped with (slightly overcooked but still delicious) fried eggs. Cottage bacon on the side, and King Cake roast coffee shipped in from PJ’s in NOLA.

4598269c6c13beb6df851fff88fa5bb1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

Got a gas stove with a center griddle last weekend. Hashbrowns with onion, garlic, and Swiss topped with (slightly overcooked but still delicious) fried eggs. Cottage bacon on the side, and King Cake roast coffee shipped in from PJ’s in NOLA.

4598269c6c13beb6df851fff88fa5bb1.jpg

Whew. We upgraded our kitchen, we added the same kind of range. I love a griddle - used to leave one out on my old stove all the time.

Had 1/3 of a leftover potato that I hadn’t roasted for dinner last night. And have fresh venison pan sausage. So I made something my mom used to make for me growing up: sausage, potatoes and eggs, topped with a bit of cheese. My wife loves this.

a831211e0209de61aa9bd9fafc24891b.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

I went back to the thing that started this whole thread. Toasted english muffin with peanut butter.

Made the english muffins (sourdough) from scratch. 

Was great.

Pics or GTFO

• 2 weeks later...
Tacos. Scrambled eggs with leftover ribeye, pork loin, cheddar, and giardeniara. Homemade salsa and hot sauce on top. Gas stove comes in clutch making these gluten free tortillas actually appetizing.

520bf7de109303ea0282e9577ebeea44.jpg

The placement of your taco fillings is triggering my ocd. You could have gone parallel with the longer direction of the tortilla for maximum filling, gone perpendicular for sturdier support and more tortilla wrappage, but instead you went diagonal AND off center and I truly hate it.

But the taco looks tasty!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

The placement of your taco fillings is triggering my ocd. You could have gone parallel with the longer direction of the tortilla for maximum filling, gone perpendicular for sturdier support and more tortilla wrappage, but instead you went diagonal AND off center and I truly hate it.

But the taco looks tasty!

I slightly overheated the tortilla on the griddle and placed the fillings on top of the crispier part in order to fold the more pliable half.

My new stove gets much hotter than my previous one, so I’m still in a bit of a learning curve in regards to temp settings
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:25 PM, Brisketexan said:

IMG_1279.thumb.jpeg.9555aca37778899249e7cfdfb778afa8.jpeg

Full Scottish Breakfast is the tits 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

This disgusting English breakfast shit doesn’t belong anywhere near this thread, just so yall know. 

I mean, you can just tell them to keep the baked beans.  Other than that it's pretty damn good.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Yeah, but where are the salsa and jalapenos?

Far, far, far away from Scotland.  We have to ship our own over there (although the boy has found a mexican import grocery that lets him get a few essentials).  Of course, he's been bitten by the phenomenon of seeing a breakfast plate on a menu, including beans, and thinking "cool, I love beans with breakfast."  Then the plate shows up, and it's those damned canned sweet beans instead of some good refrieds.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

A little sloppy with the omelette skills this morning but of late have been obsessed with the “Sydney” omelette. Boursin was made for an omelette and the potato chips are a great addition. 

image.thumb.jpeg.48ce402372b076851d92765b20fb108d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.933363e25b0fff8b7cb97da681641742.jpeg

This belongs in Steel Shank, but well done.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The paper plate is a big part of my assessment, but creative usage of processed snack food is always Shankworthy.

The paper plate is just a function of long ago twin baby (with an older sister) induced laziness we never snapped out of.  When you are washing all the bottles, changing diapers, giving baths to two at once and not getting good night's sleep ain't nobody got time for dishes with breakfast.  Paper plates it was. They are 17 now and the older one is 20 and off at Texas.... we probably should snap out of it.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

The paper plate is just a function of long ago twin baby (with an older sister) induced laziness we never snapped out of.  When you are washing all the bottles, changing diapers, giving baths to two at once and not getting good night's sleep ain't nobody got time for dishes with breakfast.  Paper plates it was. They are 17 now and the older one is 20 and off at Texas.... we probably should snap out of it.  

📸?