RIP Bart Starr

TexasMan

'Bama QB holla.

I saw Bart at QB in the Cotton Bowl versus Rice, the one that some 'Bama player came off the bench in the middle of the play and tackled the Rice player who was in the middle of a 95-yard TD run. Refs huddled, and decided (rightly IMO) to award the TD. Won't ever see a call like that again.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Like 1

I'm old enough to have seen him play. I don't have much of a memory of that. What I remember most is having something like his trading card. But it wasn't a card, it was a sticker. I remember there was some campaign run by one of the gas stations, I want to say it was Shell, and they had a big book they gave you and when my dad filled up with gas they would give out these stickers. They were just like trading cards but you would paste them into the book. That's how I know who Bart Starr was, because I had his sticker. 

49 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm old enough to have seen him play. I don't have much of a memory of that. What I remember most is having something like his trading card. But it wasn't a card, it was a sticker. I remember there was some campaign run by one of the gas stations, I want to say it was Shell, and they had a big book they gave you and when my dad filled up with gas they would give out these stickers. They were just like trading cards but you would paste them into the book. That's how I know who Bart Starr was, because I had his sticker. 

Thinking back I was trying to remember who else I knew from that sticker book. If there was only one name I could remember, it would've been Bart Starr. It just hit me that another one was Roman Gabriel of the Rams. (Turns out he's still alive.) That must've happened around '70 or '71. 

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:
Never saw him play. Way before my time. I'm sure some olds here will have good stories. Respect though. 

Actually Tom Brady comes to mind.  Not the fastest athlete, not quite the arm of a Marino or Elway, but deadly accurate and clutch.  And could manage a game as well as anyone, and was especially good in the postseason.  You didn't go "ooh" and "aah" watching him, but more "wow" as he'd always seem to find yet another receiver 3 steps ahead of most defenses.  Always made the right play at the right time.

My next-door neighbor who was older than me was a huge Packers fan starting in the mid-60s. He always tried to get me to be a fan, but by the time I was old enough to care, those Packers were getting old, and the Vikings were the hot new team in the Midwest.

My neighbor also liked the Yankees, Celtics, and Bruins, so I learned early on what a bandwagon fan looked like.

Even my old ass can’t remember Bart Starr in his prime. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

'Bama QB holla.

I saw Bart at QB in the Cotton Bowl versus Rice, the one that some 'Bama player came off the bench in the middle of the play and tackled the Rice player who was in the middle of a 95-yard TD run. Refs huddled, and decided (rightly IMO) to award the TD. Won't ever see a call like that again.

My dad went to high school with Bart Starr, was on the team with him in either JV or varsity, no idea which.

(Spoiler: Bart was better at football than my dad)

I asked dad if he ever caught a Bart Starr pass. He said he caught quite a few, then went into 1950s Montgomery Alabama memories.

Lanier High School had a hot quarterback, Nick [Italian last name that I forgot.] Bart was a place-holder second-stringer. The first or second game, Nick goes down with a broken leg, and Lanier's season is done. But Bart stepped in and surprised everybody with how well he did.

Then everybody was surprised when Bart got on the team at Bama.

Then they were surprised when he went pro.

Really surprised when he won the Superbowl. Growing up in Montgomery, they didn't see that coming.

What was Bart's secret? According to Dad, figuring out the exact thing he needed to do, then doing that exact thing.

My dad would burst with pride when the Packers were on the TV set. Adjust those rabbit ears, son, that's Bart Starr.

• Like 9

Although a Dallas Cowboy fan from the moment they were granted the franchise, I thought Bart Starr was the best quarterback in the NFL. I was around 9 years old when I expressed that opinion to my dad. He just shook his head and said it's Johnny U and it isn't even close. I think I muttered something along the lines of -- I don't care what you say, Bart Starr is the best quarterback to ever play the game. Dad just smiled.

4 hours ago, bamachine said:

Not a good day for football fans in the state of Alabama. RIP to both him and the Brambletts. Bart was a genuinely nice person, in my one limited interaction with him at a charity event in Birmingham, some 20 years ago.

Yeah, that’s horrible news out of Auburn, RIP to the Auburn/Bramblett family. 

Watched Starr at the tail end of his career with the Pack and then as HC for them, believe he was coach of the Pack the year they upset Dallas during the Cowboys WC SB run in ‘75.  Always came across as a class guy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Watched Starr at the tail end of his career with the Pack and then as HC for them, believe he was coach of the Pack the year they upset Dallas during the Cowboys WC SB run in ‘75.  Always came across as a class guy. 

That event where I met him, his wife Cherry was with him. She seemed really nice as well, her and my now ex-wife, I think were swapping recipes. I am not entirely sure, as I was too engrossed talking to Bart. He wanted to know all about my life and shrugged off talking about his incredible life. Sadly, not enough of those guys around or the world would be a much better place.

Recently read that early in his career, Lombardi chewed him out in practice for a mistake.  Later, Bart went to his office and told Vince “you can’t do that to me like you do everyone else.  The players won’t respect me.  Call me in and chew me out in private when I mess up.”

Suprisingly, the autocratic Lombardi agreed & never got on Starr in front of his teammates again.  Lots of respect for that guy, class act.

RIP.

21 minutes ago, Underdog said:

With regard to Starr being a class guy and with my post shown above, my friend was finished with a round of golf at Wildcat south of NRG when the Super Bowl was in town.  He came into the restaurant area and Bart Starr his own self was there having finished his round on the other 18.  My friend debated approaching Starr but couldn't pass up the chance being a really big Packers fan, a fan of Starr and naming his own son Bart. My friend approached Starr and came clean about the infatuation. 

Starr smiled, listened to the story, grabbed his own scorecard, wrote "to Bart from Bart, best wishes, go Packers", then insisted on posing for a picture with my friend and brought my friend a beer.  

He had class a plenty.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Might want to check that one again. Don't think he has died yet

Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead!
[A large man appears with a (seemingly) dead man over his shoulder]
Large Man: Here's one.
Dead Collector: Nine pence.
"Dead" Man: I'm not dead.
Dead Collector: What?
Large Man: Nothing. [hands the collector his money] Here's your nine pence.
"Dead" Man: I'm not dead!
Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.
Large Man: Yes he is.
"Dead" Man: I'm not.
Dead Collector: He isn't.
Large Man: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
"Dead" Man: I'm getting better.
Large Man: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
Dead Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
"Dead" Man: I don't want to go on the cart.
Large Man:' Oh, don't be such a baby.
Dead Collector: I can't take him.
"Dead" Man: I feel fine.
Large Man: Oh, do me a favor.
Dead Collector: I can't.
Large Man: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
Dead Collector: I promised I'd be at the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
Large Man: Well, when's your next round?
Dead Collector: Thursday.
"Dead" Man: I think I'll go for a walk.
Large Man: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there anything you could do?
"Dead" Man: I feel happy. I feel happy.
[The collector paces for an idea, then whacks the body with his club, solving the problem]
Large Man: Ah, thank you very much.
Dead Collector: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
Large Man: Right.

6 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

fuck him.  they jumped offsides on the winning score in the ice bowl.  not that i'm still bitter about it or anything 

This.  And Chuck Howley still maintains his forward progress was stopped before the ball crossed the line.

Like when Dwight Clark died, number of fucks given recedes to zero.

If we hadn't gotten fucked up at Lambeau in jan16 i might be in a more charitable mood.

It's 533 on Memorial Sunday and 0u still sucks.

23 hours ago, sdm said:

Although a Dallas Cowboy fan from the moment they were granted the franchise, I thought Bart Starr was the best quarterback in the NFL. I was around 9 years old when I expressed that opinion to my dad. He just shook his head and said it's Johnny U and it isn't even close. I think I muttered something along the lines of -- I don't care what you say, Bart Starr is the best quarterback to ever play the game. Dad just smiled.

Unitas threw a prettier ball, but Starr was a better QB.  You were correct, sir.